-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Right to Keep and Bear Arms: The Gun Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Right to Keep and Bear Arms: The Gun Thread  (Read 64705 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 07, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »

More horror. When will you stop and make a change!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
KDS
« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »

I don't post in the Sandbox too often these days. 

Are we still blaming guns, not the criminals? 

We are.

OK, just making sure. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2016, 10:10:06 AM »

I don't post in the Sandbox too often these days. 

Are we still blaming guns, not the criminals? 

We are.

OK, just making sure. 
Exactly - How many had limbs blown off by pressure cookers, at the Boston Marathon, and a item used for decades to prepare food?

Or, those killed, including an 8 year old?

One shooter who was taken out was an Army reservist.  Now, the hate speech rhetoric is being indentified as a catalyst to someone who is marginal and susceptible to act as a proxy to violent messages not unlike the remote caliphate soldiers. 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2016, 10:36:04 AM »

We're f***ed....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »

Well, there's two positions one can accept on this issue. One can accept the extraordinary amount of documentary evidence as provided in this thread, that guns are unique in their ability to cause harm, a harm that is in no way mitigated by the "protection" excuse since there is no evidence to support that. Or one can accept the "guns don't kill people" line which is derived from a propaganda campaign, largely designed and spun out by the weapons industry specifically to distract people away from that evidence.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:20:26 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »

It's mostly how people don't have the respect of life and common decency anymore. Just a f***ed up America these days. Presidential candidates from both parties can't solve sh*t.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2016, 11:25:20 AM »

It's mostly how people don't have the respect of life and common decency anymore. Just a f***ed up America these days. Presidential candidates from both parties can't solve sh*t.

I'm less inclined to blame the population. Propaganda is a hard thing to disentangle oneself from. The weapons industry have a vested interest in keeping the public confused on this issue and so they spend a lot of money to ensure that happens. The needless loss of life tends to not matter to major corporations when there is a great deal of money to be made.
KDS
« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2016, 11:30:07 AM »

I'm less inclined to blame the population. Propaganda is a hard thing to disentangle oneself from. The weapons industry have a vested interest in keeping the public confused on this issue and so they spend a lot of money to ensure that happens. The needless loss of life tends to not matter to major corporations when there is a great deal of money to be made.

I'm still more inclined to blame the people. 

And I agree with SmileBrian, as a society of people in general, we are f**ked.  I agree that the issues lie a lot more with lack of decency and respect. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 08, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »

You are definitely right about the lack of ethics in that industry at times....   People have so much anger and guns are often their sick release. Everyone needs to learn to live with one another again instead of clinging to hateful groups and using firearms for bad stuff. I don't know the answers for this stuff anymore.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:35:22 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »

I'm still more inclined to blame the people. 

And I agree with SmileBrian, as a society of people in general, we are f**ked.  I agree that the issues lie a lot more with lack of decency and respect. 

Well, perhaps, but the weapons industry and the NRA certainly disagree, hence the massive efforts to confuse the people.

I don't live in the United States but when I do I don't particularly notice a lack of decency and respect. In fact, I mostly encounter extraordinarily decent people just as I do here. I think it is the general decency of people that drives these massive campaigns to distort issues and drum up support for atrocious political campaigns. Otherwise there would be no need for them.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »

Sadly it's small groups of complete wackjobs full of hate.... Undecided

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »

It is but I think there is a reason why you see particular watckjobs arise with particular issues at particular times carrying out their issues in particular ways. I don't think it is because of some internal innate issue. Cultures create these antagonisms. The Holocaust didn't happen because Germans are inherently and innately anti-Semitic. Rather, it happened because a population was driven to madness by a massive propaganda campaign carried out by powerful people. In my view, if we are going to truly solve the problem we need to focus on these systems of power and these efforts at distortion rather than the targets of these campaigns.
KDS
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:45 AM »

It is but I think there is a reason why you see particular watckjobs arise with particular issues at particular times carrying out their issues in particular ways. I don't think it is because of some internal innate issue. Cultures create these antagonisms. The Holocaust didn't happen because Germans are inherently and innately anti-Semitic. Rather, it happened because a population was driven to madness by a massive propaganda campaign carried out by powerful people. In my view, if we are going to truly solve the problem we need to focus on these systems of power and these efforts at distortion rather than the targets of these campaigns.

I do agree that people like Al Sharpton have easily manipulated a good portion of poverty stricken African Americans to believe that the Police are the enemy. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 08, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »

I do agree that people like Al Sharpton have easily manipulated a good portion of poverty stricken African Americans to believe that the Police are the enemy.  

The police are not the enemy, no but the police are part of a system that has worked largely to repress African Americans. Nevertheless, actions like the ones carried out last night are heinous and should be condemned.

The demonization of people like Al Sharpton is, in my view, part of a propaganda campaign carried out largely by the mainstream media to distort that issue as well.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:44:51 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: