gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:18:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Jo Ann Marks  (Read 5450 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »

From David's Facebook page:

Jo Ann Marks, mother of guitarist David Marks, one of the original Beach Boys, passed away on July 7 after a short illness. Mrs. Marks’ long, colorful, and fiercely independent life came to a peaceful end in Burbank, California where she capably worked in the entertainment business until two-weeks before her death.

Born in New Castle, Pennsylvania to parents Sam and Anna Carlo on June 16, 1929, Jo Ann married local auto-mechanic Elmer Lee Marks and the couple welcomed their only child David in 1948. By the mid 1950’s Jo Ann insisted that the family move to California hoping for a sunnier and more glamorous lifestyle. “She wanted to see movie stars,” remembers David. Incredibly Jo Ann not only befriended dozens of famous celebrities, but she became a trusted spiritual advisor and psychic counsel to many of them.

Her most celebrated connection to fame came in 1956 when out of millions of potential homes in the greater Los Angeles area, the Marks family somehow moved into the house directly across the street from future Beach Boys and future rock legends Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson. David struck up a personal and musical relationship with the Wilson boys and by the early 1960’s he had played guitar on a string of Beach Boys classics. Today a California State Landmark and Monument featuring the names of the six original Beach Boys, including David, sits between the former site of the Wilsons and Marks homes in Hawthorne, California.

Jo Ann contributed an often-overlooked management role during the Beach Boys’ early rise to fame. She supported and promoted the group along with her husband Elmer who also served as the group’s tour manager in 1963. The couple kept track of the Beach Boys earliest concert appearances, ticket sales, income, and expenses. Jo Ann even mediated potential brawls between the group and local surfers who often resented them. That year their “Surfin’ U.S.A.” release had been among the most successful singles and albums in the entire recording industry. Upon David’s departure from the Beach Boys Jo Ann assumed the management of his new group David Marks and the Marksmen. They were the first rock act signed to A&M Records, and also recorded for the Warner Brothers label. 

Jo Ann cultivated a unique and productive profile as a psychic advisor to the stars. Among her clients and close friends were the Everly Brothers, Tuesday Weld, Carole King, Regis Philbun, Tina Turner, John Densmore of the Doors and many others. She was likely the first person to acquaint Brian Wilson with the term “Good Vibrations”. Jo Ann also played a role in the discovery of several noted artists including Warren Zevon. While working at Liberty Records she co-wrote a song that was released on a single by Mel Carter titled “Everything Stops For A Little While”. It was Jo Ann’s A&R connections at Liberty that helped son David’s group the Moon land a recording contract in 1968.

A widow since Elmer’s passing in 1975, Jo Ann maintained an active presence in the entertainment field for over five decades. She took on the role of mother figure for David’s daughter Jennifer, providing her with support, wisdom, and Italian cooking talent, and sharing an epic trip to Disneyland they remembered for the rest of Jo Ann’s life. She survived long enough to see her son officially rejoin the Beach Boys twice including witnessing their celebrated 50th Anniversary reunion tour and album in 2012. She is survived by her son David and his wife, Carrie, her granddaughter Jennifer Blake and husband Tim, and her sister Andrea Simon. 

By Jon Stebbins

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:48:01 PM »

This  makes me sad. My condolences to her family

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »

David,  I am sorry for your losing your mother. Mothers can never be replaced. Blessings to you and your family

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:19:33 PM »

I was just flicking through 'The Lost Beach Boy' two days ago, the 7th, and saw her picture. Condolences to the family.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:29:04 PM »

I'm at a loss for words.

RIP

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:47:20 PM »

Posted on David's FB page.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:24:03 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:47:34 PM »

That's Jo Ann? I thought it's just some girl taking pic with the Boys. Anyway, condolences to David's fam.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 10:56:21 PM »

That's Jo Ann? I thought it's just some girl taking pic with the Boys. Anyway, condolences to David's fam.

I believe so.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »

I'm very sorry to read this. My deepest sympathies to David and his family. As a personal aside, as a dedicated beach boys fan I thank her very much for keeping such meticulous records of the early concerts which proved to be invaluable in tracing the beginnings of the group.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 02:33:30 AM »

RIP
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 03:27:27 AM »

R.I.P.

David, our thoughts are with you and your family at this very sad time
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 08:57:42 AM »

To David and Carrie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Big hugs to you, and prayers going out.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »

I send my condolences to Dave, Carrie and their family as well. From what I have read, Dave's mom was a proud and strong Italian American woman, a colorful and dynamic personality, and a great mom, in addition to being, as John asserts, an underestimated factor in BB history.

There is nothing quite like losing a mom, at any age.  When my mom passed in 2009, an old Italian man, actually one of my non-traditional students, told, me, "son, just remember you only have to go through this once."

We fans will keep her memory alive.  I'll be driving by the "old house" today over the 105 on the way to the beach and will think of the Marks family.

The Professor
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »

We are all thinking of you at this time, David--I'm sure that you will buoyed by all of the great memories of your mother's life and her vibrant personality. It's clear that she kept her zest for life until the very end, as evidenced by her continuing to work well into her 80s. Kudos to Jon for a finely crafted remembrance.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 08:27:29 PM »

Very sorry to hear this. Condolences to David and his family.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 11:39:44 AM »

Deepest condolences to Mr Marks and his family.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »

My deepest condolences to the family of the Beach Boy with whom I share a first name.  It sounds like she had a good run (87 years).  We owe her many thanks for keeping records of early gigs and for being David's mom.  RIP, Jo Ann Carlo Marks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 07:05:59 AM »

It sounds like she had a good run (87 years).
Yes,87 is not bad age to die.

2 OregonRiverRider: it was rhetorical question, kind of showing surprise she looks young there.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »

According to a birthday post just weeks before, she was the last remaining Beach Boys parent.

Condolences to family and friends.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »

I think Mike's dad is still alive.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »

I think Mike's dad is still alive.

Unfortunately, Mike's father passed away in 2013.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Milton-Love&lc=4799&pid=165561055&mid=5577737
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »

Ahh.... She looked so good in the Dennis Wilson documentary!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx