gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:32:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine to Guest Star on DECKER: UNCLASSIFIED  (Read 7474 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:02 PM »

Wow. I was just watching the new episode of the Adult Swim alt comedy TV show Decker: Unclassified and they ran a bumper for the next episode—Al is guesting in an acting role. I can’t believe my eyes. Two of my worlds colliding. Bizarre. Look out for it a week from now at midnight. Wish I could rewind my TV...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:21:54 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:35:59 PM »

My jaw literally dropped when I saw it. As a diehard fan of The Beach Boys and Tim Heidecker, I never thought the two would collide. I was in shock, and then I began laughing hysterically. Can't wait for the episode, makes me so happy that Al has the same sense of humor I do  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:07:35 PM »

I don't know the program but found this from the LA Times. LOL

Guests this year include Sally Kellerman as a scheming future first lady and former Beach Boy Al Jardine as a science adviser selling the "hoax" of global warming:. "Don't you understand?" Decker protests. "A weak energy policy based on hippie-dippy tutti-frutti quack green science will only lead to the terrorists getting the upper hand." Then he goes out to burn some fossil fuels.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 02:00:17 AM »

Holy crap! Two of my favourite things together. Al Jardine and Tim Heidecker! Shocked Maybe next we can get a Brian Wilson and Stewart Lee crossover going! Or Bruce Johnston and Mark E Smith!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 06:12:36 AM »

I was also watching that show on Adult Swim last night. I actually had my headphones on and just looked up for a second and then I see AL JARDINE?!? I felt like I was I was stoned out of my mind. The only thing being that I hadn't smoked last night.

Wild stuff. Two of my favorite worlds colliding.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »

WOW. This is truly a dream come true for me. I'm a huge Tim and Eric fan, and anything Tim does is pretty amazing. I cannot wait to see how weird and amazing this is going to be.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:10:23 AM »

Tim and Eric made pretty good use of Peter Cetera when they used him before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umgUDUxHKfY

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »

I guess it makes more sense now why Al posted this on his Facebook fan page last week:

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 11:23:02 AM »

Awesome.

Adult/Child Swim!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

Hadn't heard of this particular show (that weird Al Facebook pic now finally makes sense though!). I read up a little on it, and it doesn't sound like my type of thing, and I'm into plenty of off-kilter, weird stuff. But I'll have to watch, because how often do you see Al Jardine on TV?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mona
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »

Tonight's the night, JardineHeads!!! Midnight on Adult Swim/Cartoon Network!

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »

Just watched it...that appearance was pretty durn amusing.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »

Yeah, that was definitely not my cup of tea. Al came off very awkward. I guess I just don't get "it".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »

Not my cup of tea, either. It was the gratuitous (albeit cartoony) violence that was the turnoff for me.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »

Guys, that's the point of the show haha. It's intentionally low budget with poor green screen effects and stilted dialogue. If you watch it with that in mind, it might make more sense. Decker's character is a mix of Trump and Steven Segal.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »

Guys, that's the point of the show haha. It's intentionally low budget with poor green screen effects and stilted dialogue. If you watch it with that in mind, it might make more sense. Decker's character is a mix of Trump and Steven Segal.

Oh, I understood exactly what he was going for. I just don't find it funny, but that's okay. I would like to know how Al became involved.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »

Oh, I understood exactly what he was going for. I just don't find it funny, but that's okay. I would like to know how Al became involved.

Tim Heidecker said on Twitter the other day that he’ll never tell how he got Al, for whatever reason.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 04:30:12 AM »

Saw some snippets of scenes with Al staring in them on Facebook and thought they were cool. All i can say is fair play to Al. He makes a good actor, lol!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »

The show and its premise seems awful and unfunny, Al *still* comes across as an awful actor despite maybe one minute of screen time, proving once again that none of the Beach Boys should ever do scripted entertainment of any sort, and yet there's something awe-inspiringly odd about seeing Al holding a gun to the head of Joe Estevez. I can't imagine a more odd pairing to appear on TV, or anywhere else for that matter. Nor could I have imagined horrible (on purpose I presume) CGI resulting in Al being shot in the head and then impaled with a pole.

It's so beyond odd, more for Al than the guys doing the show (who seem to like the "Adult Swim" style of "it's bad so that makes it funny" humor), that I can't say it wasn't intriguing somehow I guess.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:58:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 07:29:10 AM »

That is amazing! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 08:34:56 AM »

I dug the show's wacky sense of humor and thought Al did a great job.  He scored a few cool points for appearing in this. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »

To those that don't understand the appeal of the show:
The Beach Boys have a lot of indie/hipster credit with people in their 20s/30s thanks to things like SMiLE/Pet Sounds/Sunflower/Brian in general etc. I've seen it particularly on sites like Reddit + 4Chan/mu/ so Al's appearance isn't completely out of this world honestly.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:47:35 AM by SamMcK » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 10:24:23 AM »

The Beach Boys have a lot of indie/hipster credit with people in their 20s/30s thanks to things like SMiLE/Pet Sounds/Sunflower/Brian in general etc. I've seen it particularly on sites like Reddit + 4Chan/mu/ so Al's appearance isn't completely out of this world honestly.

I definitely understand all of that, and I've always been open to the band and its members getting this sort of cred among younger hipsters and all of that.

I'm not some old fashioned BB fan wearing my Hawaiian shirt and waiting for "I Love Lucy" reruns.

I just think this particular "Adult Swim" selection was pretty lame and unfunny; I get why others might like it. I guess I'm an old-timer when it comes to Adult Swim; I'm still bummed Aqua Teen ended.

I've always thought Al Jardine would be the best random, non-sequitur guest spot a show could hope for. For pure weird imagery, this "Decker" appearance did it for me. But it wasn't actually funny beyond that curiosity of seeing Al in that setting. I think the random, super-ironic style of "Adult Swim" humor has nearly run its course. Viewers of course disagree.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 10:38:09 AM »

I definitely understand all of that, and I've always been open to the band and its members getting this sort of cred among younger hipsters and all of that.

I'm not some old fashioned BB fan wearing my Hawaiian shirt and waiting for "I Love Lucy" reruns.

I just think this particular "Adult Swim" selection was pretty lame and unfunny; I get why others might like it. I guess I'm an old-timer when it comes to Adult Swim; I'm still bummed Aqua Teen ended.

I've always thought Al Jardine would be the best random, non-sequitur guest spot a show could hope for. For pure weird imagery, this "Decker" appearance did it for me. But it wasn't actually funny beyond that curiosity of seeing Al in that setting. I think the random, super-ironic style of "Adult Swim" humor has nearly run its course. Viewers of course disagree.

It's a very niche show, so its understandable that the Tim and Eric style of LOLRANDOM (for lack of a better word) might not gel with a lot of people. I can imagine many posters aged 50+ being very confused if they tuned in for Al's appearance!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx