gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:15:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 186 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official BB You Tube Thread  (Read 1389101 times)
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: July 14, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »

I'd say this is the best The Honeys/Spring ever sounded as a group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTKvdTXoW10&feature=related . I could see why the BBs thought Brian poorly produced some of their songs around that time. He could still do this in '69!

I always wondered if Brian did the string arrangement for this one.. probably no, right?

I think the credit for the string arrangement belongs to Al Kapps.
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 14, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »

Riverfest  17 guest :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5HmqcPjRk&feature=related
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1627 on: July 15, 2009, 01:49:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR7NtBe2QHQ&feature=channel_page

Never heard this....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 16, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ihm17PL-Y

I've never seen a clip as long as this from the 1972 London concert before. Have to admit they do look incredibly cool here, but I don't approve of the Wild Honey lead vocals. Other than that this clip's truly amazing and I wish there was more footage around. Poor DW seems a bit aimless here, by the way.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 17, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-SuE6X084

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 17, 2009, 11:55:32 PM »

To be honest it kind of sucks the life out of the original recording cause there is so much feeling in the original recording. But it was interesting to hear his "version" and I appreciate the fact that he went to all that effort - just not really to my liking.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:14:25 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 18, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »

To be honest it kind of sucks the life out of the original recording cause there is so much feeling in the original recording. But it was interesting to hear his "version" and I appreciate the fact that he went to all that effort - just not really to my liking.
True, but it gives you an idea of how a 1985 version would have sounded. As good as Oh Lord is, maybe it's a good thing that it didn't end up on the same album as songs like California Calling and Male Ego.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 20, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »

This is an odd little trainwreck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXRzC0izd8&feature=related

Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 21, 2009, 02:07:25 AM »

I love Denny's joke. LOL "Freezing their instruments off"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 21, 2009, 08:13:22 PM »

I couldn't make out what he said. But I didn't have the volume up much. Brian has a really odd, almost mean look on his face when he leans down to the microphone. He almost reminds me of my drunken former uncle that knowbody has seen in ten years. Carl looks very uninterested.

MBE
« Reply #1635 on: July 21, 2009, 09:17:36 PM »

I couldn't make out what he said. But I didn't have the volume up much. Brian has a really odd, almost mean look on his face when he leans down to the microphone. He almost reminds me of my drunken former uncle that knowbody has seen in ten years. Carl looks very uninterested.
By 1977 standards it's not too bad but your uncle story made me laugh. Carl looked so much younger without the beard.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »

By 1977 standards it's not too bad but your uncle story made me laugh. Carl looked so much younger without the beard.

Yeah I agree it's not that bad - maybe the first little part where Brian stuffs up is a little embarrassing but other than that it's not too bad. Was it you MBE who once mentioned that that was the last time Carl didn't have a beard?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 21, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »

Carl looked so much younger without the beard.
That's exactly what I was thinking. If he had been totally "clean shaven", and cut his hair a little, he would have looked almost the same as he did in around 1969. I didn't realise how much the beard changed his appearance.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:13 PM »

I loved that period, even though, in hindsight, it was kinda sad. You had no idea where those three's heads were. Fascinating but sad, I guess....
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 21, 2009, 10:03:44 PM »

Although the look in his eyes was a little bit off every now and then...I still contend that Brian's physical appearance in 1977 was his best in many years (about six), he's fit and looks healthy...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »

I loved that period, even though, in hindsight, it was kinda sad. You had no idea where those three's heads were. Fascinating but sad, I guess....
I find Carl the most interesting in that period. He was really in a weird place in 1976-78.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 21, 2009, 10:21:16 PM »

Although the look in his eyes was a little bit off every now and then...I still contend that Brian's physical appearance in 1977 was his best in many years (about six), he's fit and looks healthy...

Yes, and in a few months, he would start playing the bass more frequently in concert, and, he would start singing better on things like "Winter Symphony" and MIU.
MBE
« Reply #1642 on: July 21, 2009, 11:10:55 PM »

Yeah he did look beter in 1977 then he had since before the trip to Holland.  It was the last time without a beard that I know of. Maybe he shaved it off at one time or another when they had a month or two off.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 24, 2009, 09:13:41 AM »

Time for some covers. Here's a beautiful, beautiful cover of "I Went to Sleep", it's dreamy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVOEDIboAMg. An unholy amateurish punk cover (isn't that what punk is about?) of "Girl Don't Tell Me", makes me think of The Raincoats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNaIJzDel1o.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 24, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »

Okay, we've been told (rightly so) this didn't exist for years...yet here it is probably via a cheap audio editing software or that new machine I heard about which can take instruments out of the mix and vocals also...

GV instrumental, it's mindblowing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PD2UUPC_tA&feature=related

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 24, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »

I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but some songs just don't work in stereo.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 24, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »

Here is one for MBE to check out. Take a look at the picture at around 2:37, I think. Brian has long hair, looks thin, but has a mustache and a beard. Does anybody know what year it's from? I think he was clean shaven untill 1974. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hka63YG4z0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:45:10 PM by Jay » Logged

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 25, 2009, 03:28:01 AM »

Here is one for MBE to check out. Take a look at the picture at around 2:37, I think. Brian has long hair, looks thin, but has a mustache and a beard. Does anybody know what year it's from? I think he was clean shaven untill 1974. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hka63YG4z0

Looks like 1972 to me. Check out the Badman book on page 307 - looks very similar to me, most definitely from roughly the same time frame.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 26, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »

Here is one for MBE to check out. Take a look at the picture at around 2:37, I think. Brian has long hair, looks thin, but has a mustache and a beard. Does anybody know what year it's from? I think he was clean shaven until 1974. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hka63YG4z0

Looks like 1972 to me. Check out the Badman book on page 307 - looks very similar to me, most definitely from roughly the same time frame.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Brian was seen with an unshaven face until the Holland era, apart from the 1967 Smile sessions. By the time of the Caribou sessions he had a full mustache and beard.

MBE
« Reply #1649 on: July 26, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »

I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but some songs just don't work in stereo.
Mono is king when it comes to the Beach Boys or 90 percent of 60's music.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 186 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx