gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:53:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 186 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official BB You Tube Thread  (Read 1392969 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3125 on: July 07, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »

Wow. It really was that? They showed it in the clip but I couldn't believe that that was the poster....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3126 on: July 08, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »

My last two 1080HD Irvine vids:

"Surfer Girl"
http://youtu.be/ThrrDjd8jqM

"Add Some Music To Your Day"
http://youtu.be/ukjVsTMUvpQ
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: July 08, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »

Hey ontor, thanks so much for all your contributions... from the incredibly entertaining endless syncopation project to these two most recent videos of their live shows.  What a great sight to see Al smiling many times during the add some music performance.  I saw them in Boston and Maine this past month... what a surreal and joyous occasion.  Anyways, you're the man, ontor, thanks for putting in work to create some great video edits this past year and change!!!

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: July 09, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »

Series of items from the Endless Bummer Compilation:

Carl Drunk - Good Vibrations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PHZbwpKU7k

Brian Hanging With Some Nerds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuq320RC92Q&feature=related

CATP-Radio Spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej33q61yBzI&feature=related

Carl Wilson Anti-Drug Spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2-qGgpPD1U

Mike Love - Budweiser Spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvx9w0c1Pk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3129 on: July 09, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »

this is actually really really cool.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: July 09, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »

Brian reminds me of Rick Moranis in Ghost Busters here.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: July 10, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »

Al Jardine: 'Postcard From California' - Buzzine Music Interview (Excerpt)

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: July 16, 2012, 01:58:56 AM »

"Breakaway" live Prague (Czechoslovakia), 1969.
I think this includes new footage, doesn't it?

http://youtu.be/iF6rklSaeSg

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3133 on: July 16, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »

I got really excited about that video, and then I realized it wasn't actually a video of them performing the song... what a letdown. You can see Bruce playing bass in some shots and the organ in others.

But I haven't seen any of this footage before, I guess that's sort of cool. Mike was so skinny, he looks like a skeleton without his shirt on.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:18:51 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3134 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

I got really excited about that video, and then I realized it wasn't actually a video of them performing the song... what a letdown. You can see Bruce playing bass in some shots and the organ in others.

But I haven't seen any of this footage before, I guess that's sort of cool. Mike was so skinny, he looks like a skeleton without his shirt on.

It's from "An American Band".
You can see a real live performance of Break Away video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEELdPSGLa0

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3135 on: July 16, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

I really oughta watch An American Band again. I saw it only once when I was first starting to become a fan, I guess a lot of it went over my head. I even own it on DVD!

That Olympia concert is one of my favorites to watch.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: July 17, 2012, 01:27:36 AM »

Mike & Bruce do radio+video promotion for the "Warmth of the Sun" best of.

http://www.youtube.com/user/snapsnap/videos

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: July 17, 2012, 01:31:55 AM »

You can see a real live performance of Break Away video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEELdPSGLa0

Is it exactly the same as "An American Band"? Haven't watched that in a while but I thought this clip had some extra footage.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3138 on: July 17, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »

Is it exactly the same as "An American Band"? Haven't watched that in a while but I thought this clip had some extra footage.

I think so but am not 100 % sure

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: July 18, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »

Just to let you guys know - the Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1962 - 1969 documentary is online in its entirety on YouTube. Who knows for how long..

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3140 on: July 18, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »

Just to let you guys know - the Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1962 - 1969 documentary is online in its entirety on YouTube. Who knows for how long..

Thank you ! Looks very good. I watched the first six parts. More tomorrow...

Sometimes I think Jan Berry's role gets underestimated. It's not like he took what Brian gave him but they co-wrote and Brian never produced one single Jan & Dean session. That was all done by Jan.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »

Sometimes I think Jan Berry's role gets underestimated. It's not like he took what Brian gave him but they co-wrote and Brian never produced one single Jan & Dean session. That was all done by Jan.
Jan Berry was very talented producer, conducting session musicians much the same way Brian did. Also, Jan&Dean were at the scene years before the BBs had their first hit. People tend to forget that. Early BBs recordings sounded much like Jan&Dean songs.

There's a very good Jan&Dean documentary out there. Sadly I forgot its title and can't find my burned copy right now. But it really showed how much in charge Jan Berry was regarding their recordings.
SBonilla
« Reply #3142 on: July 18, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »

Jan Berry was very talented producer, conducting session musicians much the same way Brian did. Also, Jan&Dean were at the scene years before the BBs had their first hit. People tend to forget that. Early BBs recordings sounded much like Jan&Dean songs.

There's a very good Jan&Dean documentary out there. Sadly I forgot its title and can't find my burned copy right now. But it really showed how much in charge Jan Berry was regarding their recordings.
You mightl also say, "Brian was very talented producer, conducting session musicians much the same way Jan did."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: July 19, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »

You mightl also say, "Brian was very talented producer, conducting session musicians much the same way Jan did."
In a chronological sense, yeah. But we're on a BBs message board here, so BW is the point of reference.  Wink
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: July 23, 2012, 02:26:22 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7wbwnolMD0
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: July 23, 2012, 07:17:11 AM »

"Rap" with a silent "C" then.

That's not "rap" in my book - I'd understood rap to be a form of vocal performance. This isn't really any kind of performance.

“We live in divisive times.”
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: July 23, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »

It sounds more like 'Til I die, than Surf's Up to me.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »

Not sure if anyone has seen this clip of Brian in the studio singing 'I'm So Lonely', but if so does anyone know where it originated from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB0APWy-Blw&feature=related
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »

Not sure if anyone has seen this clip of Brian in the studio singing 'I'm So Lonely', but if so does anyone know where it originated from?

Think this might be an excerpt from a feature on UK TV Channel 4's shown The Tube, from 1985 (of course). I have the show on VHS somewhere but no VHS player and no means of transfer (of course!).

“We live in divisive times.”
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: July 23, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

Think this might be an excerpt from a feature on UK TV Channel 4's shown The Tube, from 1985 (of course). I have the show on VHS somewhere but no VHS player and no means of transfer (of course!).

I've always been curious about that feature, I think it's one of very few Beach Boys related things of this nature I haven't seen on Youtube (this and Our Team), and if it's along the same vein as the KTSA doc I'd love to see it one day, (80's recording practices are fascinating, there was one with Peter Gabriel talking about the Fairlight CMI that I can watch over and over again and never get bored, they still had to use the ingenuity of the older school of production, but computers were beginning to creep in, which ties in with my love of old computers too  LOL).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 186 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx