gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:00:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The age of BB members when songs were recorded  (Read 1177 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »

It's always been interesting to me to think about which songs were recorded when some BB member(s) were still in their teens, 20s, 30s, and so on.

Not many recordings feature Brian as a teenager... The Hite Morgan sessions, The Lonely Sea (just barely), and a few other early tunes from the Surfin' Safari album.

-David Marks has the unique distinction of only having been a teenager or a sexagenarian on BB albums (not counting NASCAR)...

- Carl is the only teen BB on Pet Sounds (19 when he sang God Only Knows, incredibly)

- what was the first BB recording to have a BB member in their 30s? 40s? Etc... I guess Mike was the first BB member to be on a recording in his 20s (all the early stuff), and the first in his 50s (Summer in Paradise).

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:14:09 AM »

It's always been interesting to me to think about which songs were recorded when some BB member(s) were still in their teens, 20s, 30s, and so on.

Not many recordings feature Brian as a teenager... The Hite Morgan sessions, The Lonely Sea (just barely), and a few other early tunes from the Surfin' Safari album.

-David Marks has the unique distinction of only having been a teenager or a sexagenarian on BB albums (not counting NASCAR)...

- Carl is the only teen BB on Pet Sounds (19 when he sang God Only Knows, incredibly)

- what was the first BB recording to have a BB member in their 30s? 40s? Etc... I guess Mike was the first BB member to be on a recording in his 20s (all the early stuff), and the first in his 50s (Summer in Paradise).

On David Marks, Don't forget 'That's Why God Made the radio'!

As for Beach Boys ages and recordings, I would have to look that up. But I'm heading to work right now. I'm sure someone will do the honors!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:14:36 AM »

Well, looking at the Bellagio site and being that Mike was born on March 15 1941:

First session with a 30 year old BB-April 3 1971-Don't Go Near The Water/Old Movie (4th July)/Long Promised Road. This is unless Mike was at Dennis' session on March 15 for Old Movie (4th July) and Barnyard Blues ie unlikely
First session with a 40 year old BB-April 16th 1982-Beach Boys Medley #2

Mike was also the first 70 year old as the TWGMTR sessions started on Feb 3 2012!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »

On David Marks, Don't forget 'That's Why God Made the radio'!

As for Beach Boys ages and recordings, I would have to look that up. But I'm heading to work right now. I'm sure someone will do the honors!

I didn't forget David! Smiley As I mentioned above, on the only BB album he was recorded on beyond his teen years, he was recorded as a sexagenarian (this applies to TWGMTR), and regarding NASCAR, he'd have been in his very late 40s or right about 50... but whether one brings NASCAR into this discussion or not depends on whether or not NASCAR is even an album (I don't really consider it to be), or if David is even actually on the album beyond the cover pic (I recall someone saying that Davidplays on it, but not sure if that's confirmed or not).

Putting the questionable NASCAR aside, I'd venture to guess that David is probably unique in rock history with regards to being recorded on a major band's proper albums *only* as a teenager and *only* a 60-something. I also just realized TWGMTR is also the last BB album to feature a BB member (David) younger than a senior citizen! While Blondie is still slightly younger than a senior citizen on NPP, my statistic is regarding "BB" albums.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:04:02 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx