-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:24:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Beach Boys playing for Trump
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys playing for Trump  (Read 43165 times)
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/285265-trump-campaign-slating-major-sports-figures-for

Just when I got reconciled to two terrific bands out there, and was looking forward to a summer show of the franchise band . . . . .
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »

I suppose Trump has to fill the time somehow. They are having trouble getting any "big name " Republicans to speak at their convention . I guess the're also having Mike Tyson , that in itself should speak volumes about the difficulty in getting quality guest speakers. Maybe Trump can get them to sing the sleazy version of "Hey Little Tomboy."
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »

The article has very little information. "Musical acts booked by third-party groups include the Beach Boys, Journey, Bret Michaels, Rick Springfield, Rascal Flatts, Martina McBride and The Band Perry." There are often many corporate-type parties surrounding these National Conventions. I guess we will have to wait and see if they are a part of it in an official capacity.

The Beach Boys will be in Toledo on July 21 and have an open date on July 20...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »

However highly unlikely it might be, one good thing that might come of a scenario like this is that the other BRI shareholders could finally move to exert some modicum of control over how the live band name is used, beyond simply collecting the licensing fee.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »

Heh, heh. myKe luHv and His Band of Imposters will, I assume, play any venue if the bucks are right. That and all the exposure the attention starved lovester can round up. Sounds like a big, bad load of publicity that will put another nail in his already lousy legacy.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »

However highly unlikely it might be, one good thing that might come of a scenario like this is that the other BRI shareholders could finally move to exert some modicum of control over how the live band name is used, beyond simply collecting the licensing fee.

I really, really hope you are correct.

The Beach Boys brand name does not need Trump to be associated with it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »

Heh, heh. myKe luHv and His Band of Imposters will, I assume, play any venue if the bucks are right. That and all the exposure the attention starved lovester can round up. Sounds like a big, bad load of publicity that will put another nail in his already lousy legacy.

Yep. Yet I don't think they'd *just* be doing it for money or exposure. I have little doubt that both Mike and Bruce would be legitimately enthusiastic about playing in support of Trump.

Shaking my head.

Beach Boys' (Grand Old) Party! = barf
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:17:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

I really, really hope you are correct.

The Beach Boys brand name does not need Trump to be associated with it.
+1

This would be horrible. Really hoping it does not happen!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »

When is Mike wearing a red trump hat on stage? Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »

From the comments.

12 hours ago
I don't follow sports, but are these really "major sports figures"? The musical acts seem to be third-tier as well. The Beach Boys? Really?

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »

From the comments.

12 hours ago
I don't follow sports, but are these really "major sports figures"? The musical acts seem to be third-tier as well. The Beach Boys? Really?

To be fair, the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys are not a huge get.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »

From the comments.

12 hours ago

tbh, the Beach Boys touring band is third-tier.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:49:21 PM »

Bleccch! Sometimes they really make it hard to be a Beach Boys fan. I wonder if Donald Trump's "little hands" ever "shadowed on the ceiling"?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:14:07 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:34 PM »

Of course its third rate.  Thats the sad part of the legacy
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »

I sure hope that is true. People are going to read that the Beach Boys are playing for Trump, and think that means that Brian and Al endorse Trump along with the Baseball Cap Twins. Carl must be turning over in his grave.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 05:09:09 PM »

This does bring up an interesting point about the touring licence and the responsibilities that go with it. I wonder if any thought was given about this possible scenario. ie hypothetically the NRA or tobacco industry (or worse) hiring the group for a private gig. Were any safeguards or a veto option included? Man it would be interesting to read a copy of that licence. 
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »

Well, I hate to throw a wet blanket on the growing outrage, but...

"The organizations hosting the concerts are Concerts for a Cause, the Creative Coalition, the Cleveland Clinic's educational foundation, law firm Jones Day’s foundation and others. A representative of The Beach Boys, one of the bands that organizers said on Tuesday would perform in Cleveland during the convention, issued a denial to Bloomberg Politics on Wednesday."

Source:  http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-28/trump-campaign-lining-up-tyson-and-ditka-for-convention
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41:45 PM »

"The organizations hosting the concerts are Concerts for a Cause, the Creative Coalition, the Cleveland Clinic's educational foundation, law firm Jones Day’s foundation and others. A representative of The Beach Boys, one of the bands that organizers said on Tuesday would perform in Cleveland during the convention, issued a denial to Bloomberg Politics on Wednesday."

Source:  http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-28/trump-campaign-lining-up-tyson-and-ditka-for-convention
No wet blanket. That's excellent news! 

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 05:49:41 PM »

I understand the rush to judgment and everyone overlooking my level-headed first reply, but here is some more information on the Creative Coalition's Benefit Gala at both the Republican and Democratic National Conventions:

http://thecreativecoalition.org/2016/06/23/the-creative-coalitions-benefit-gala-featuring-martina-mcbride/
http://thecreativecoalition.org/2016/06/08/the-creative-coalitions-benefit-galas-in-cleveland-philadelphia/

And, again, the original article explicitly said that the acts were hired by a third party (i.e. not the Trump campaign or the RNC).
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »

Wow thats awesome news! Get the beach boys name out there! That will be fun to watch and see the Beach Boys preform!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »

Source:  http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-28/trump-campaign-lining-up-tyson-and-ditka-for-convention

Glad to hear. My guess, based on nothing more than a hunch: this new denial is because other members of BRI stepped in quickly and said they would not approve of this show, a gig that Mike likely previously said yes to. I can't think that the other BRI members would *want* the brand name being attached to such a controversial figure.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:25:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 07:11:17 PM »

Does Mike still have any side group going on? He may do this solo?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »

I believe Mike does some private shows on the side with a few guys from his group and minus Bruce. But I can't be exactly sure if he still does this or this was a past thing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:16:29 PM by tpesky » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »

Gah.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 12:36:32 AM »

Random question..while it sounds like theres some doubt as to whether him playing for trump is true, i dont doubt that mike would be happy to play for him since A) he's a republican last i checked and B) he will pretty much play anywhere for the right bucks. Random question for speculation:

Do you think Mike would play for hillary/bernie/elisabeth warren/etc or any other democratic politician if he was asked? or would he draw the line if he didnt agree with someones politics?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:38:37 AM by Needleinthhay » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: