gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:31:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Scotty Moore  (Read 6290 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:21:36 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scotty-moore-elvis-presley-guitarist-dead-at-84-20160628

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

Oh f*** no. One of my all-time favorites. RIP Scotty

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:31:13 PM »

f*** 2016
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »

f*** 2016

Agreed. This actually started for me in Dec when Scott Weiland passed. .Since then it seems like we're losing greats by the day

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »

Damn it.  Cry

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:47:57 PM »

f*** 2016

Agreed. This actually started for me in Dec when Scott Weiland passed. .Since then it seems like we're losing greats by the day

Yeah, December... The month where we also lost Lemmy and Stevie Wright.... And it was all downhill from there
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »

ah tragic to hear this, one of my guitar heroes.  One of the great guitar originators with some
of the best solo's ever heard on a record.  Sad news.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:56:35 PM »

I guess I shouldn't be sad, he was 84 years old. That's a good long life. Now he's up there jamming with his friend Carl Perkins, Bill Black, and Elvis.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:59:39 AM »

Now, that is sad! Such a wonderful nice man and great musician! Rest in peace, Scotty.  Cry

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/obituaries/musical-icon-elvis-guitarist-scotty-moore-dies-365c85ed-0ecb-5a13-e053-0100007f186c-384774031.html

From the "All the King's men"-album:

Levon Helm, Keith Richards, Scotty Moore, D. J. Fontana & The Band: Deuce & A Quarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0jpqF1uolk

Jeff Beck, Ron Wood, Scotty Moore & D. J. Fontana "Unsung Heroes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2upOnqyK7s

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:01:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:30:18 AM »

Sad, sad news. God, what a year!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »

In action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMmljYkdr-w

And one of my favorite guitar works from Scotty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tlbG2nlceo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »

I know it's cliché, but I picture him in heaven jamming with many old friends now - Elvis, Carl Perkins, Bill Black, ...well, there's more great rockers up there now than down here.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:38:47 PM »

Scotty was somebody I always wanted to meet and see play in person. He was and is truly one of the best and most overlooked guitar players. My dad and I always used to say that Elvis, Scotty, Bill Black, and D.J. Fontana were the original supergroup.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »

Scotty was somebody I always wanted to meet and see play in person. He was and is truly one of the best and most overlooked guitar players. My dad and I always used to say that Elvis, Scotty, Bill Black, and D.J. Fontana were the original supergroup.
How it all came together for them seems like some kind of miracle to me. Elvis shows up at Sun, a kid who'd never played with a band at all, untrained, but Sam sees something in him; calls Scotty to come over and play with him; Bill joins in; none of these guys were famous then, no one had ANY idea of what would transpire. Well, what happened - I feel like I'm channeling Sam Phillips now - was music history! It's like all the stars lined up perfectly and out came this musical alchemy that changed everything. And through all of that, Scotty always seemed like the nicest gentleman in the world. Never said a bad word about Elvis, in fact I don't know that he ever said a bad word about anybody, cause he was a man of few words. He let his guitar do the talking.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 02:18:40 AM »

Scotty Moore (Elvis) and Danny Cedrone (Bill Haley) pretty much invented Rock Guitar in 1954 . . . especially Scotty. Amazing stuff. Moore's guitar work between 1954 and 1957 was groundbreaking, in an era when the rhythm-playing, sex-symbol singer gained all the attention. But without Scotty Moore and Bill Black, Elvis would not have had a platform from which to showcase his audience appeal.

Moreover, Elvis did not write the songs . . . and Elvis did not come up with the guitar solos . . . Just sayin'. And it does not reflect well on Col. Tom Parker (and Elvis by default) that Scotty and Bill were treated so poorly in terms of monetary compensation. Elvis lavished ridiculous amounts of money on everyone but the two musicians who helped launch his career, and it's no wonder they left early on.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 04:42:27 AM »

Scotty Moore (Elvis) and Danny Cedrone (Bill Haley) pretty much invented Rock Guitar in 1954 . . . especially Scotty. Amazing stuff. Moore's guitar work between 1954 and 1957 was groundbreaking, in an era when the rhythm-playing, sex-symbol singer gained all the attention. But without Scotty Moore and Bill Black, Elvis would not have had a platform from which to showcase his audience appeal.

Moreover, Elvis did not write the songs . . . and Elvis did not come up with the guitar solos . . . Just sayin'. And it does not reflect well on Col. Tom Parker (and Elvis by default) that Scotty and Bill were treated so poorly in terms of monetary compensation. Elvis lavished ridiculous amounts of money on everyone but the two musicians who helped launch his career, and it's no wonder they left early on.

Look at the session sheets, Mark. Scotty Moore was playing guitar on Elvis sessions through the the mid 60s.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 05:15:39 AM »

let's not forget James Burton as a guitar god either, especially on those early Ricky Nelson sessions.
there are of course other great pickers too, Eddie Cochran, Cliff Gallop and Tommy Allsup who
played those great leads on Buddy Holly records, just to put them out there as early 'guitar gods'
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »

Peter Guralnick, Priscilla Presley, others remember Scotty Moore

http://www.commercialappeal.com/entertainment/music/peter-guralnick-priscilla-presley-others-remember-scotty-moore-366fb408-0c86-1160-e053-0100007f1a74-384898941.html

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »

RIP Scotty
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »

let's not forget James Burton as a guitar god either, especially on those early Ricky Nelson sessions.
there are of course other great pickers too, Eddie Cochran, Cliff Gallop and Tommy Allsup who
played those great leads on Buddy Holly records, just to put them out there as early 'guitar gods'
And Chuck Berry.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 04:35:24 PM »

Elvis always let Parker handle the business side, so I would put the blame squarely at the Colonel's feet. He didn't care about the music, didn't think it mattered who played on the records or concerts, made sure that the musician's never got credited on the records. And yes, Elvis should have spoke to him about these matters, but he didn't. It must have been slightly annoying in later years for Scotty and DJ to hear about all the gifts Elvis lavished on his backup singers and musicians in the 70's. I think it was nice that Rick Nelson always made sure the guys in his band got credit on his albums. I always knew that it was James Burton on guitar, James Kirkland or Joe Osborne on bass, Richie Frost on drums, and Ray Johnson (among others) on piano. The only way I could find out who played on Elvis' records was to dig into the books about his music career.

Look at the session sheets, Mark. Scotty Moore was playing guitar on Elvis sessions through the the mid 60s.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »

Kermode Uncut: The Genius Of Scotty Moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYx1iVfLfvY

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »

Scotty Moore, Hard-Driving Guitarist Who Backed Elvis Presley, Dies at 84

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/arts/music/scotty-moore-hard-driving-guitarist-who-backed-elvis-presley-dies-at-84.html?_r=0

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »

I consider anything Elvis did without some combination of Scotty, Bill and or DJ to be nil. Is there a database of all personnel on all Elvis songs?  I would like a list of what songs the 4 of them exactly recorded. There are a lot of great songs before and after DJ. For example I don't think DJ is on Mystery Train. Would love to nail it all down.

thanks and RIP Scotty
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »

For example I don't think DJ is on Mystery Train.

Yes, there is no drummer on that song. When it comes to the Sun recordings, the only tracks with drums (Johnny Bernero iirc) are "I forgot to remember to forget" and "I'm left, you're right, she's gone".

Bill and Elvis split when the latter got inducted to the army. After that, Bill had a lot of succes with his Bill Black Combo.
Scotty and D.J. played on almost everything until 1968, except for those movie soundtracks on which Elvis just overdubbed his voice ("Paradise Hawaiian Style", "Clambake" and one or two more I believe). On everything else Scotty and D.J. where there, Scotty listed as band leader iirc. Try to get Ernst Jörgensen's "A life in music":

https://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Presley-Complete-Recording-Sessions/dp/0312185723

EDIT:

Just saw this on the FECC forum:

**Fri 01 Jul 16**
R.I.P. SCOTTY MOORE - A REVERED ROCKFATHER.
Direct link

Scotty Moore

Sad to hear of the passing of one of the very first guitar heroes, Scotty Moore. All of us who play rock guitar, whether we’re aware of it or not, have a little bit of Scotty Moore in us. His playing was actually quite sensitive - not all the brash clang which the recognised character of much of early Rock and Roll guitar playing (which was also essential !) - but massively brave and new at the time. You can hear in his playing the excitement of that transition from the 40s to the 50s … the advent of the Day of the Young.

Scotty cited Chet Atkins as an influence - a deeply polished Country style electric guitar picker - and, like Chet, he used the kind of fingerpick which clips around your thumb - not very common today. You can hear that Scotty’s style on record was a mixture of melodic and two-part harmony stuff, and jazz chords, and the beginnings of string bending … his strings were too thick to bend very far, but he used the bend to make blue notes, squeezed up just a semitone and making it sound like a strain - which it actually must have been … ! This technique, absorbed from black blues players, by Scotty and a few of his contemporaries, ushered in the guitar as a voice in rock music - rather than just an accompanying instrument. Scotty was modest about the influence he’d had, saying that his manner of playing was common among his mates …. but really he was very innovative IMHO !! Scotty preferred a deep-bodied Gibson electric guitar, but his opposite numbers, Steve Cropper notably on Green Onions with Booker T and the MG’s) and James Burton (stupendously notably on the solo for Hello Mary Lou by Ricky Nelson), favoured the more metallic twang of the Fender Telecaster. So in comparison, Scotty sounds quite warm on record. Burton and Cropper pushed those strings across the fingerboard a little further, expanding the electric guitar vocabulary even more. But Scotty had his own territory carved out, and he had the greatest and most passionate white singer of his generation to play off … Elvis. He just might be regarded as the inventor of the power-chord riff (prior to the epic Kinks riffs) - for his fabulous slide-up motif which is the core of the verses of Elvis’s Jailhouse Rock. That’s an inimitable classic (I know for sure it’s inimitable - I’ve tried … we used to play it, but a little differently, as Queen).

I had the pleasure of working with Scotty briefly when the Sun Record Tribute was being put together a few years ago. I joined Scotty and DJ Fontana in Abbey Road studios to record 'No Teasin' Around’ - a little known song by Bill ‘The Kid’ Emerson which I’d found in a Sun Records catalogue. I was really taken by the song, and kinda hoped we’d make it popular. But the powers that be at Sun Records evidently didn’t share that feeling. They left it off the compilation. It only surfaced as a bonus track on the Japanese version of the album. Consequently it’s remained ‘little-known’. But I love it !

It’s here actually, I just noticed … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOumwngMl1c Of course EVERYTHING is on the Internet now !

Well, tell me what you think. I don’t know if there are any photos of that session in existence … if it were today we’d all be tweetin’ it around the world.

I performed this song only once live, I think, at the Montreux Jazz Festival around …erm … 2005 ? [Ed: 2001] backing vocals by my daughter Emily, Joe Botross, the first husband of my daughter Louisa, and my lady Anita !

But I digress. I was never in touch with Scotty after that, and of course I now regret that. But he was a lovely relaxed and modest man - it was such a pleasure and privilege to have that chance to play with him. Like I said, we all have a little piece of Scotty Moore in us.

RIP Scotty Moore, one of the founding fathers of Rock.

Bri

http://www.brianmay.com

I guess he's talking about this Ahmet Ertegun produced record (soundtrack to the dosumentary of the same name):

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Rockin-Tonight-Legacy-Records/dp/B00005NZX7
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:25:04 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx