gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:30:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Complete Hite Morgan Sessions Will Be Released  (Read 15165 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 05:20:59 AM »

Releasing stuff like this but not live concerts from the Blondie/Ricky days makes no sense to me.
Keep scraping that barrel.

As John Lennon once said (in an approving tone): "It's history, man!"
P.S., he was referring to bootlegs of Beatles stuff, of which he was a big collector.

Huh. I did not know that.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »

Some new pictures via Amazon of this set:

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 06:01:19 PM »

There are a few takes missing - Luau take 4, Lavender take 3, Surfin Safari takes 1-2, 7-9, Judy overdub take 3, Barbie overdub 6, Young Girl overdub take 2.  So is this really the "complete" Hite Morgan sessions?

Nevertheless I'm excited about this release and also for Jim's liner notes which should be revealing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »

There are a few takes missing - Luau take 4, Lavender take 3, Surfin Safari takes 1-2, 7-9, Judy overdub take 3, Barbie overdub 6, Young Girl overdub take 2.  So is this really the "complete" Hite Morgan sessions?

Nevertheless I'm excited about this release and also for Jim's liner notes which should be revealing.

They were missing from the proposed First Wave lineup too, right? So I tend to think they're missing from the tapes altogether...as in erased...
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 06:22:23 AM »

Who's the dude on the cover..?
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »

Becoming the Beach Boys: The Complete Hite & Dorinda Morgan Sessions are indeed the complete Hite and Dorinda Morgan sessions.  Every second of every tape. 

As Craig astutely pointed put, any appearance of "missing takes" is because they either never existed in the first place or they simply no longer exist -- erased, taped over, skipped. 

Becoming the Beach Boys: The Complete Hite & Dorinda Morgan Sessions is a beautiful 2 CD set -- a tri-fold digipack with a twenty-page booklet with color photographs.  I hope Beach Boys fans appreciate the diligence, perseverance, and creativity Brad Rosenberger and his team at Omnivore Recordings poured into this package.  As Mikie pointed out, referencing the Coda in my book (The Hite Morgan Tapes--Discovery, Illumination and Litigation) that examines the decades of litigation and legal entanglements ensnaring the tapes, suffice it to say that releasing this package was no easy task.  The tracks were remastered from the original tapes by Mark Linett, Alan Boyd weighed in with his unparalleled knowledge of the Beach Boys, and I had the honor to write the liner notes based on my book Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963.  These folks, myself included, of course, care deeply about preserving the Beach Boys' musical legacy.  And not just preserving it, but getting it right.  As right as anyone can in 2016.  That these historic recordings are being released in a physical format, given the changes and financial constraints in the music business, well, that just flirts with the miraculous. 

The extension of "Becoming" from the book to the CD set was a purposeful decision by Brad Rosenberger.  This is all of the band's earliest recordings, even as they called themselves the Pendletones, compiled, remastered, and sequenced thoughtfully into a musical and historical document detailing, through music and words, how five boys from California formed America's greatest band on the way to becoming the Beach Boys.     

"Here in these seminal recordings are the nascent Beach Boys, the premiere vocal group of American popular music, and this is where it all began."
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »

Comparing the track list with the list for First Wave, the following takes SEEM to be missing from the Complete Hite Morgan sessions and present on First Wave:

Lavender - rehearsal/demo take 4

Barbie overdub take 2

Young Girl overdub take 2

Surfin' Safari - edit takes 6 & 9

Of course it's possible that on this release some false starts weren't considered "takes" and if the take wasn't slated each time, it may just be a matter of semantics.  

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:41:04 AM by Bicyclerider » Logged
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »

I remember they perfomed a version of John B Sails on that sessions
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 03:19:09 AM »

I remember they perfomed a version of John B Sails on that sessions

Aren't you thinking of the version taped at the Wilson's home and included on the boot The Gargage Tapes?
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:21 AM »

The package arrived an hour ago and I am just listening to the Surfer Girl sessions right now. This set is AMAZING! Sound quality: outstanding! Historical importance: Second to none. Even at this raw stage you can ghear Brian's genius. Wow! If you already haven't I URGE you to order this set. A real fly-on-the-wall look into,as the set title says, the boys becoming the Beach Boys.

Stop press: Surfer Girl Take 9 overdub lead vocal contains like a female singine, "we ride the surf together..." No mention made in the notes that I can find.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:26:16 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 07:44:18 AM »

Was their a few of these recordings released on MIC box set?

Brother Records finally gave us something the fans wanted! but there is way more popular stuff unreleased then this! But i am not going to complain one bit! I will always be happy with ANYTHING that gets released of the Beach Boys! This is a great set!!!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »

Keep in mind I haven't listened to "Lost and Found" for some time, but there were alot of takes I don't think I had heard before. In the cases where stuff had been released previously, it is mentioned in the booklet. MiC only had a few of the tracks on here, mainly Surfin'. Pretty much every track on this set goes: Hite Morgan home demo, rehearsals, takes, final take, master with whatever overdubs may have been done. For example the Surfer Girl sessions , Brian asks Hite if they could do an overdub for the bass, he is refused. I have not heard that before, I dont think. The quality, given the age of the material is outstanding. I was reluctant to get this, but am very glad I did.

To Bicyclerider: I have only done a cursory listen, and there are several takes on the one track in a few places. I am not at home so I can't cross check, but you may be right. However there are points where you definitely hear the tape stop/start. I will need to listen again tonight or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:02:32 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »

Stop press: Surfer Girl Take 9 overdub lead vocal contains like a female singine, "we ride the surf together..." No mention made in the notes that I can find.

A clue here?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7487799/beach-boys-earliest-recordings-becoming-the-beach-boys

This new set, made in full cooperation with the band, contains all of the available tapes plus studio chatter. The group on these recordings was comprised of brothers Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson, as well as friend Al Jardine and cousin Mike Love. The CD also contains songs by Kenny and the Cadets, which included Brian and Carl Wilson, their mother Audree Wilson, Al Jardine and Val Poliuto.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:25:54 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »

It's already out on Spotify.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »

Here's a link to an interview I did recently with Tony Basilio on The Tony Basilio Show in which we discuss Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 (McFarland Books, 2015) and Becoming the Beach Boys: The Complete Hite & Dorinda Morgan Sessions (Omnivore Recordings, 2016).

https://bbbjmurphy.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/2016-07-08-tony-basilio-with-james-b-murphy-becoming-the-beach-boys.mp3
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:34 AM »

I listened to some samples on amazon.de It's interesting - even with just 30 sec. samples - to hear how they got better and more confident in performing "Surfin'" from take 1 to the master.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 03:53:51 AM »

I listened to some samples on amazon.de It's interesting - even with just 30 sec. samples - to hear how they got better and more confident in performing "Surfin'" from take 1 to the master.

Full thing is on Spotify. It sounds great though some people find it hard to understand why I'm listening to the same song over and over ;-)

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 05:37:41 AM »

According to the CD liner notes, these tracks were previously released:

Surfin' (Master take) b/w Luau -Candix 301

Barbie (Single master) b/w What is a Young Girl Mad Of  -Randy 422

Surfin' Safari (stereo overdub)  -Germany Ariola 45 411

Surfin' Safari (Master), Barbie (Album Master), Judy (Master), Surfer Girl (Master), Beach Boys Stomp (aka Karate) (overdub take 2 on take 1)  -Beach Boys Biggest Hits ERA 805

Surfin' (demo), Luau (demo, take 1 and take 6), Lavender (rehearsal, take 2), What is A Young Girl Made Of (overdub, take 7), Surfin' Safari (take 6), Judy (Take 2), Beach Boys Stomp (aka Karate) Master  -Lost and Found DCC DZS-054

Surfin' (take 1 and 7) -Good Vibrations 30Years of the Beach Boys Capitol C2 0777 7 812594 2 4

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2016, 02:30:48 AM »

Review: http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/becoming-beach-boys-complete-hite-and.html
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2016, 03:35:45 AM »

Thanks, Ed. Good to see the Friday Night Boys are still as disparate as ever. :=) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 04:18:09 AM »

More so as we age.
tunestony
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »

Hey guys,

I just interviewed Brad Rosenberger, president of Omnivore Recordings, about this set for my Icon Fetch podcast.  The link is:

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/2016-shows/1017-show-275-becoming-the-beach-boys-82916.html

He talks about actually having the tapes at his house (and how nervous it made him), before returning it to the Morgans. 

Hope you enjoy.

Tony
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »

I haven't listened to the interview yet, but it is interesting that BRI apparently owns the copyrights to the recordings themselves, while the Morgans still retain physical ownership of the tapes. I believe this is covered in Murphy's book.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 08:57:22 AM »

Hey guys,

I just interviewed Brad Rosenberger, president of Omnivore Recordings, about this set for my Icon Fetch podcast.  The link is:

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/2016-shows/1017-show-275-becoming-the-beach-boys-82916.html

Great interview, Tony.  I've enjoyed all of your Beach Boys related episodes.  I'm still a bit stumped on the name of the podcast, though...

In the interview, Rosenberger mentions that the identity of the female singer is still unknown. I wonder if anybody's ever asked any of the Boys if they remember who it was?
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 09:50:41 AM »

It's so cool to hear the group trying out some kind of instrumental track for the early takes of "Lavender", I wish a backing track was actually fleshed out for the final take!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx