gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Complete Hite Morgan Sessions Will Be Released  (Read 15104 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:03 AM »

Via The Second Disc: http://theseconddisc.com/2016/06/28/surfin-life-omnivore-collects-beach-boys-earliest-recordings-premieres-unreleased-tracks/

Scheduled for a August 26, 2016 release from Omnivore Recordings.

Disc 1:
   SURFIN’
1. (Demo)
2. (Takes 1–2)
3. (Take 3)
4. (Take 4)
5. (Take 5)
6. (Take 6)
7. (Take 7)
8. (Take 8 )
9. (Master)

LUAU
10. (Demo – Take 1)
11. (Demo – Take 2)
12. (Demo – Take 3)
13. (Takes 1–2)
14. (Takes 3, 5–6)
15. (Take 7)
16. (Take 8–11)
17. (Take 12)
18. (Master)

LAVENDER
19. (Rehearsal – Take 1)
20. (Rehearsal – Take 2)
21. (Rehearsal – Take 3)
22. (Take 1)
23. (Take 2)
24. (Take 4)

SURFIN’ SAFARI
25. (Takes 3–4)
26. (Takes 5–6)
27. (Take 10)
28. (Overdub – Take 1 on Take 6)
29. (Overdub – Take 2 on Take 10)
30. (Stereo Overdub)
31. (Master)

Disc 2:
   SURFER GIRL
1. (Take 1)
2. (Take 2)
3. (Take 3)
4. (Take 4)
5. (Take 5)
6. (Take 6)
7. (Master)
8. (Overdub – Lead Vocals)

JUDY
9. (Take 1)
10. (Take 2)
11. (Overdub – Takes 1–2)
12. (Overdub – Take 4)
13. (Master)
14. (Demo – April 1962 Guitar Solo)

BEACH BOY STOMP (aka Karate)
15. (Take 1)
16. (Rehearsal – Take 2)
17. (Overdub – Take 1 on Take 1)
18. (Overdub – Take 2 on Take 1)
19. (Master)

BARBIE – Kenny And The Cadets
20. (Overdub – Take 1)
21. (Overdub – Takes 2–4)
22. (Overdub – Take 5)
23. (Overdub – Take 7)
24. (Single Master)
25. (Album Master)

WHAT IS A YOUNG GIRL MADE OF – Kenny And The Cadets
26. (Demo)
27. (Overdub – Take 1)
28. (Overdub – Take 3)
29. (Overdub – Takes 4–5)
30. (Overdub – Take 6)
31. (Overdub – Take 7)
32. (Master)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:26:58 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:43:20 AM »

It appears this is authorized by the Beach Boys/BRI, so hopefully this will actually come to pass.

Curious if it has been newly remastered or if Steve Hoffman's mastering will be used.

After we celebrate the release of this, perhaps someone can convince BRI to release something even more interesting like the hours and hours of live and studio material that came after.

Why would BRI okay the release of over a dozen takes of "Luau" but can't let "Carry Me Home" out?

Seriously, not trying to be downbeat about this release. After reading Jim Murphy's book, these recordings took on a much greater context and I'm far more interested in the whole thing now.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »

Take 1 of “Surfer Girl” can be heard on RollingStone.com. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-beach-boys-rare-somber-surfer-girl-from-first-sessions-20160628

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:05:10 AM »

This is interesting! I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads-up

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »

Thats awesome! I am excited to hear this! Hope alot more rarities will be released soon afterwards!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »

This would really help me in conjunction with Murphy's book. I use Big Beat 1963 as a guide to reading about the later recordings referenced in that book.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »

Interesting to see this coming out, after all the information in Murphy's book about Brad Elliot and Bruce Morgan and all of the back and forth and the lawsuits in the past.

Will either Brad and Bruce have a hand in it?   I know many have their gripes and problems with Brad with what happened in the past, myself included, but he was really the first one
to really try to get these tapes released, and he spent a great deal of money (a lot of it NOT his) fighting the lawsuits, to no avail.   It's a sad story and many got screwed, including Brad.   

I can honestly say, I don't know all of the details....but it is a shame that someone who once was held in such high regard by Beach Boys fans and collectors everywhere ended up
screwing everyone, and also getting the short end of the stick to try and make this release happen.   

Perhaps some of you know more about this whole situation than I or many do.  And I'll be clear, I'm not defending Brad, but I was one of the lucky ones who DID get a refund, when it was clear the
release he was planning for the HITE MORGAN tracks way back when, wasn't going to happen.   

Dogbone
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »

Fascinating to hear! And then they took that and perfected it wherre most others would have been satisfied with the arrangement.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir_iloWROwM
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:50 PM »

Interesting...but I'd much rather have a live collection of some kind
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:27 PM »

Brad should be paying for this CD for me, he still holds my 30 bucks or so from the early 2000s for the pre-order of something equivalent.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:31:01 AM »

Yeah, mine too. And there is no way in hell I am going to pre-order this. I will wait until I hear of confirmed deliveries before I commit to buying. This project has such a trail of merda behind it that it could fertilize the Simpson desert.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:39:56 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »

Yeah, mine too. And there is no way in hell I am going to pre-order this. I will wait until I hear of confirmed deliveries before I commit to buying. This project has such a trail of merda behind it that it could fertilize the Simpson desert.

Fans have plenty of reason to be skeptical, but unless the websites/articles are lying, the fact that this set is approved by BRI (who, if I'm recalling correctly, may essentially hold the copyrights to all of the material from these sessions not already released in the past on "Lost and Found") and is being put out by a legit label seems pretty solid.

Al Jardine has even linked to a story about the set on his Facebook. So I'm guessing this set has all of the proper parties signing off.

This thing seemed like such a political minefield in reference to BRI back in the previous decade; I'm only annoyed that BRI seems even more stingy about releasing material (e.g. all of the Brother vault material) that they own outright and uncontested.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »

Cheryl Pawelski is the one who headed up the second twofer reissue way back when. Or was it the first ? I can't remember. I was fortunate enough to run into her at a great cd store in Milwaukee. She was talking to the owner about her job at Capitol Records and that she was home for the holidays. She mentioned that her name was Cheryl. I asked "are you by chance the Cheryl from Milwaukee, who is heading up the Beach Boys reissue program. "( I had read that she was from Milwaukee somewhere ) She smiled and said that she was that one. We chatted for quite a while, and I jokingly asked her to send me the discs. I gave her my address and she sent me all of the twofers, for free, a few weeks before they released. She was also working on the Ricky Nelson catalog and she sent me all of those reissues too. To reciprocate, I located a rare local 45 that she wanted, but couldn't find.

Cheryl co owns the record company releasing this latest Beach Boy release. If she says it's happening, it will be happening ! She's a very nice person . I did lose track of her for several years, but recently reconnected with her on FB.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »

Since several people have I asked , I thought it worth noting that this is a 100% legit release approved by the group and available from regular retailers. It was compiled and mastered this year and has no connection to the previous illicit attempts to release the material by bootleggers .
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »

I'm also wondering if last year's weird, sketchy attempt to "Crowd Fund" a single-disc release of *some* of the unissued Morgan tapes may have helped spur BRI to sign off on just putting the whole thing out and then at least being in some level of control of it.

Does Bug/Universal (who, I believe it's mentioned in Murphy's book, bought the copyrights of the already-released "Lost and Found" material from Morgan) still own their stake in these recordings? I would imagine that, as BRI has some level of an ongoing relationship with Capitol/UME, this made the release relatively smooth this time around.

Despite about my numerous references to MANY other releases I'd rather see from the BB archives, I am glad this set is being released and it will all be out there for historians and scholars. I may not end up listening to it that much, and it's main purpose will probably end up being as a companion to Jim Murphy's excellent book, but I'm glad the material will make it out there.

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »

I'm also wondering if last year's weird, sketchy attempt to "Crowd Fund" a single-disc release of *some* of the unissued Morgan tapes may have helped spur BRI to sign off on just putting the whole thing out and then at least being in some level of control of it.

Does Bug/Universal (who, I believe it's mentioned in Murphy's book, bought the copyrights of the already-released "Lost and Found" material from Morgan) still own their stake in these recordings? I would imagine that, as BRI has some level of an ongoing relationship with Capitol/UME, this made the release relatively smooth this time around.

Despite about my numerous references to MANY other releases I'd rather see from the BB archives, I am glad this set is being released and it will all be out there for historians and scholars. I may not end up listening to it that much, and it's main purpose will probably end up being as a companion to Jim Murphy's excellent book, but I'm glad the material will make it out there.

As far as I know, BMG has no ownership of any of the Hite Morgan recordings.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »

I don't have Jim Murphy's book in front of me; my recollection was that in the section detailing the various Morgan tape legal issues, it was mentioned that Bruce Morgan eventually (as in some time in the mid-late 2000s) sold the copyright to the recordings he still held the copyright on (e.g. the stuff that had already been released on "Lost and Found") to Bug Music, and they were subsequently bought up. But it was indeed BMG that bought up Bug, so I'm curious who owns what now. I believe the book also mentioned that Morgan still held physical ownership of the tapes at that time.

I'm curious if perhaps BRI just bought everything up, including all copyrights and physical tapes.

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:15 PM »

Releasing stuff like this but not live concerts from the Blondie/Ricky days makes no sense to me.
Keep scraping that barrel.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »

Mildly excited for this if only to finally hear the studio take of "Lavender," rather than just the rehearsal.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »

What, no bonus tracks?

"Dennis is a Prick"

"Murry on the Phone"

"Brian's Book Report"

Cheesy
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 02:05:35 PM »

is there anything that will be on this set that is already released but NOT on Lost & Found album? and is there anything on the Lost & Found album that isnt on this set?
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »

Uh Yeah! Of course there is going to be tons of takes that were never released on this set! Surfin's getting it's due we have only heard take 1 and the master take so.... Dear Mods where did all these whiners come from about all these future projects, that are great that they are coming out? Boo hoo I can't have a Stereo Smile, well we don't need it, you want it so bad roll your own,as Alan Boyd has said before! Boo hoo were getting all the Hite Morgan sessions and not other stuff? This is getting out of hand. I'm proud if this new release and I can finally own it all now! It's a musical time capsule!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:25:11 PM by branaa09 » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 10:40:39 PM »

Uh Yeah! Of course there is going to be tons of takes that were never released on this set! Surfin's getting it's due we have only heard take 1 and the master take so.... Dear Mods where did all these whiners come from about all these future projects, that are great that they are coming out? Boo hoo I can't have a Stereo Smile, well we don't need it, you want it so bad roll your own,as Alan Boyd has said before! Boo hoo were getting all the Hite Morgan sessions and not other stuff? This is getting out of hand. I'm proud if this new release and I can finally own it all now! It's a musical time capsule!

Word! Be happy with what you get.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 04:12:48 AM »

Releasing stuff like this but not live concerts from the Blondie/Ricky days makes no sense to me.
Keep scraping that barrel.

As John Lennon once said (in an approving tone): "It's history, man!"
P.S., he was referring to bootlegs of Beatles stuff, of which he was a big collector.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx