gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:40:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Tracks on each Beatles Album  (Read 9070 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »

I've been thinking about doing a Beatles Survivor to answer this very question. Any one up for it?

yes

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »

Which section should I post it in? Polls?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »

Which section should I post it in? Polls?

That's the place. Then those of us who aren't into eliminating games are happy and so are those who are. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »

Please Please Me: Please Please Me
With the Beatles: 'Til There Was You
A Hard Days Night: A Hard Days Night
Beatles for Sale: Eight Days a Week
Help: Ticket to Ride
Rubber Soul: In My Life
Revolver: I'm Only Sleeping
Sgt. Pepper: A Day in the Life
Magical Mystery Tour: Strawberry Fields Forever
White Album: Happiness is a Warm Gun
Yellow Submarine: It's All Too Much
Abbey Road: Something
Let it Be: The Long and Winding Road
Past Masters 1: This Boy
Past Masters 2: Revolution
Anthology 1: Besame Mucho
Anthology 2: That Means a Lot
Anthology 3: Junk
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:47:26 AM by Wrightfan » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 03:47:06 AM »

Please Please Me: I Saw Her Standing There
With the Beatles: Please Mister Postman
A Hard Day's Night: If I Fell
Beatles For Sale: Maybe No Reply?
Help!: You're Going to Lose That Girl
Rubber Soul: Nowhere Man
Revolver: And Your Bird Can Sing
Sgt. Pepper: Gettin' Better
White Album: Happiness is a Warm Gun
Yellow Submarine: Hey Bulldog
Abbey Road: You Never Give Me Your Money
Let It Be: Two of Us
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:47:34 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »

Anything that involves ranking The Beatles is tough for me. But here it goes ('favorite' does not necessarily mean 'best' for me). The ones in parentheses are the 'runner ups', since it's a pretty close call for me on every album.

Please Please Me: Baby It's You (Twist and Shout). I just adore John's cold-ridden, throaty, nasal voice on this album. So raw, and powerful. There are other good versions of this song, but when John screams "Can't help myself" and "Don't want nobody, nobody", my heart just stops. Twist and Shout is the same. There is 'Twist and Shout' as sung by Lennon, and there are versions 'not' sung by Lennon. That's how definitive this version is for me. Ironically neither of these songs are originals, but to be honest I found most of the originals to be fairly weak on PPM compared to other Beatles albums, though a couple are strong.

With the Beatles: Not a Second Time (Runner Up: All My Loving). Again, 'Second Time' gets the nod because of John's vocals. So great, pleading, bitter, depressed, reluctant all at once. "And now you've changed your mind/I see no reason to change mine". Can't get anymore direct than that. The lyrics are simple but with a great vocal delivery they rise above. The fade is spectacular, too. No, he really can't stand heartbreak striking him a second time. Just listen to him say it! And Paul's 'All My Loving' is beautiful, complex, and a big jump forward for the band in general. One of his signature songs, really. Great wordplay and guitar playing.

A Hard Day's Night: Tell Me Why (Runner up: If I Fell): Those harmonies and the overall melody just make my heart melt. I love this period of the Beatles: they were past their early, more primitive sound but not quite up to Rubber Soul/Revolver/Pepper level of maturity and experimentation. What they did have was a mastery of catchy melodies and excellent, relatable lyrics. A little corny, sure, especially the group falsetto "If there's anything I can do!", but not too much, and why not? It just adds to the fun. If I Fell is one of their best ballads too, and I love the John and Paul interplay here. Their voices were made for each other. The way the song changes from "Hurt my pride like her/'Cause I couldn't stand the pain" is great, just one gripping part to the next, it never lets up.

Beatles For Sale: I'm A Loser (Runner up: Eight Days a Week): I don't like this album as much as some of their others, which is pretty common I guess, but it has it's moments. I'm a Loser has some of John's best lyrics, very honest and vulnerable. His voice is amazing too, as usual. Low and dark, but somehow still folksy, as if he's just sitting in a bar telling you a story. Eight Days a Week isn't really a hugely innovative song, except for maybe the fade-in at the beginning, but man, another song that just grabs you and never lets up. Just when you think it's gonna finally slow down, there's "LOVE you every day girl/Always on my mind". Just pure, lovely pop. The handclapping is a nice touch, and the backup vocals come in at just the right times.

Help: The Night Before (Runner up: You're Gonna Lose That Girl): Devastating, dramatic Paul song here, arguably his best yet. It's like the man just never runs out of ideas. The opening of the song would've been just great on it's own, but then you have "Last night is a night I will remember you by/When I think of thing's we did/It makes me wanna cry". If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will. His bass playing is inspired, as usual, too. You're Gonna Lose That Girl is another of those not really sophisticated from a lyrical perspective, but again, just beautifully, professionally played pop. I have a soft spot in my heart for these ones, if you can tell. "You're gonna lose that girl/You're gonna loooose that girl" and the backup vocals going repeating John's lines is awesome. I read one guy on another website say something like this, and I have to pretty much echo his sentiment: even if the Beatles had broken up before Rubber Soul and their later period, if they had just kept making songs like these, they still would've been great.

Rubber Soul: You Won't See Me (Runner up: The Word). Just a thoughtful, reflective and sad number from Paul. His lyrics are nothing short of magical: "Though the days are few/They're filled with tears/And since I lost you/It feels like years". It wouldn't be the same without his voice, of course. The way his voice gets softer, a bit sadder on the last two lines is subtle, but huge. And when he repeats them towards the end of the song, he sounds even more resigned, as if he's just going around in circles, repeating the same story over and over again, each time accepting his situation a bit more. The bass line, once again, is spectacular. and John and George outdo themselves with the 'ooh la la la" vocals in the background. A perfect song, if there ever was one (again, I say that a lot about the Beatles, though). The Word is just so unique, the group harmony sounds amazing, and it's so catchy. It's deceptively complex, though: the bass chugs along and carries the song underneath instrumentally, and that organ break during the bridge is jarring, and feels a little out of place at first, but is also somehow oh-so perfect. I've just always been attached to this song.

Revolver: She Said She Said (Runner up: For No One). The first one is pretty much everything that makes Revolver great: weird, but expertly done music. I love the CRASH-CRASH----CRASH-CRASH sound of the cymbals by Ringo. The guitar is so powerful, too, kind of in your face, but it rocks. When John sings "And she's making me feel like I've never been born", is dramatic, and then "When I was a boy/Everything was right" reminds me of Paul's lines in A Hard Day's Night. Really pretty. For No One is one of Paul's best songs, you can't get anymore heartbroken then "Your day breaks/Your mind aches/You find that all her words of kindness linger on when she no longer needs you". What a line. It's fairly simple, compared to other songs on Revolver, but it just adds to the solemn, lonely feel.

Sgt. Pepper: Gettin' Better (Lovely Rita). Sgt. Pepper isn't really my favorite Beatles album, but it's close. Getting Better is so peppy, so upbeat. Who hasn't sang this to themselves when things are rough, and you're hoping it'll all get better? It was basically my theme song in 4th grade. John's lines are nice, with his "Can't get no worse" vocals. A perfect summary of John Paul: Paul is the cheery, always looking on the bright side kind of guy, and John is too, in his own, cynical way. If that makes sense. Lovely Rita is beautiful, I love the bass and overall melody. It sounds sorta cheesy and old-timey at first, but it really grew on me. I love the sophisticated wordplay mixed in with the simpler joys of life, "Lovely Rita, meter maid/May I inquire discretely/When are you free to take some tea with me?". Only Paul could write that and have it sound brilliant.

Magical Mystery Tour: Penny Lane (All You Need Is Love): Penny Lane. Every second is a blast of pure joy. I think that Paul was really great at making you feel like you were really part of some strange little world. I would love to visit this  very strange 'Penny Lane', and meet the fireman in the rain with the portrait of a queen, and that barber. It may be strange, but it's also filled with beautiful blue suburban skies, which sounds awesome. All You Need is Love I consider to be one of John's signature tunes, maybe even more than Imagine. Here, he says you can do basically whatever you want, say whatever you want, as long as you have love. Even if you can't do it, or someone says you can't, well, you can! And that fade is awesome. She loves you yeeeah, yeeaah, yeeaaah. Somehow fits in perfectly with everything else.    

White Album: Helter Skelter (Martha My Dear). In an album that has Back in the USSR, Glass Onion, Me and My Monkey, and Birthday, somehow this song manages to rock even harder than all of them put together. Sure, the lyrics are nonsense, but they take on some sort of meaning the way Paul belts them out. So gutsy, from the vocals to the guitar and drums. The fade outs are a nice touch, too. Martha My Dear may seem trivial to some people, but it's just gorgeous music to my ears. I love the sentiment behind it, it's sorta sad. Like you're saying "I know I'm always busy, and I have my flaws, but please don't forget me, be good to me". I can relate to that a lot. It's a happy-sad kind of song to me.

Yellow Submarine: Hey Bulldog (Yellow Submarine?): Yeah, I don't like this album too much. But it's not even a proper Beatles for the most part. Ah, what the heck? I like it anyway, even the weird George Martin tunes that make up a big chunk of the album. Hey Bulldog is great just for that bassline. What got into Paul?! Listen to that fade out. It's like he's just going nuts on that thing. And the song shows the band having a good time in the studio, which was probably one of the last times they ever did that. Yellow Submarine was technically on Revolver, but it's also the title track here. It's a pretty little sing a long tune, reminds me of Uncle Albert from Ram. Ringo sings it to perfection despite his obvious vocal limitations.

Abbey Road: Here Comes the Sun (Oh! Darling). So many to choose from. Here Comes the Sun may be the prettiest thing George wrote (well, that's arguable to say the least). Just so gentle and moving. He really evolved as an artist in just a few years. Oh! Darling has some of Paul's best rock/soul vocals ever. It's like he thought this would be the last song he would ever sing and just really dug deep to sing this. OK, maybe not, but he really pours his heart into it anyway. Definitely one of his highlights as a Beatle, in terms of songwriting and vocal delivery.

Let it Be: Don't Me Down (Across the Universe). This one's tough. I know Don't Let Me Down wasn't on the original Let It Be, but it was recorded during those sessions and even performed on their rooftop concert. It should've been on there, but Spector took it out I believe. It showed up on Let It Be...Naked. It's so ragged, so soulful. One of those that you can just sit and listen to, and let yourself be entranced by it. John's falsetto at the end is also incredible, and Billy Preston's contribution to the album is underrated: that solo is brief but breathtaking. A great, bluesy tune. Across the Universe would be great if it was just spoken: the lyrics are pure poetry. But John's gentle vocals and the guitar make it all a great psychedelic yet very moving tune. It's sort of like a 'moving painting' if you will. I could live without the choir/strings, but I've gotten used to it and it's quite pretty itself.

BONUS (Favorite songs not included here): I'll Get You, Rain, Paperback Writer, Thank You Girl, Hey Jude, Revolution,
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:50:02 PM by JL » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 04:30:40 AM »

I like to tell mother that "Lovely Rita" is written about her :D. I sometimes sing to her in jest "Lovely Rita meter maid". It's one of my favorite female names to boot. JL, good write-up despite disagreeing with few things here & there. Case in point - "Martha My Dear", I didn't hear "sad" in it. It's positive nice dedication to his pet Martha imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 07:48:09 AM »

Took me awhile, but I've finally chosen my favorite song from every classic album the lads ever made. Peace & love, peace & love.

Please Please Me: Do You Want to Know a Secret
Something New: Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
The Early Beatles: Twist and Shout
Post Card: Inch Worm
20 Greatest Hits: Yellow Submarine
The Number Ones: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Starpeace: I Love You, Earth
Ringo Rama: Trippin' On My Own Tears
Karaoke: 100 Hits Presents 60's: Hey Jude
The Beatles - Rock Band: Yellow Submarine

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »

I am guessing most fans here did NOT grow up with the US albums. Rightly or not, those are still the albums I hear in my head when I think of Beatles songs.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »

Took me awhile, but I've finally chosen my favorite song from every classic album the lads ever made. Peace & love, peace & love.

I think you forgot a few:
In the Beginning (circa 1960): My Bonnie
Hey Jude: I Should Have Known Better
Straight Up: Day After Day
Holly Days: Take Your Time
Rarities: Misery
The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits: All My Loving
Billy Sullivan Plays the Beatles: Paperback Writer/Rain
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 06:32:29 AM »

I think you forgot a few:
In the Beginning (circa 1960): My Bonnie
Hey Jude: I Should Have Known Better
Straight Up: Day After Day
Holly Days: Take Your Time
Rarities: Misery
The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits: All My Loving
Billy Sullivan Plays the Beatles: Paperback Writer/Rain

How could I forget The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits? Such a solid album, not to mention the last time Lennon and McCartney really worked well together.

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »

I am guessing most fans here did NOT grow up with the US albums. Rightly or not, those are still the albums I hear in my head when I think of Beatles songs.

I've actually heard those albums quite a bit too, and enjoy them. Making a list of my favorite songs from those albums might be an interesting excersise. I think some of them are tepid (Beatles 65' and Beatles VI) but I like them anyway.

I like to tell mother that "Lovely Rita" is written about her :D. I sometimes sing to her in jest "Lovely Rita meter maid". It's one of my favorite female names to boot. JL, good write-up despite disagreeing with few things here & there. Case in point - "Martha My Dear", I didn't hear "sad" in it. It's positive nice dedication to his pet Martha imo.

I'm glad you enjoyed my thoughts, RangeRover! Yeah, I admit with 'Martha My Dear' that I'm maybe projecting my own emotions into it. But that's the thing about these great songs, people can interpret and imagine their own meanings, even if they're not what was really intended by the writer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:22:52 AM by JL » Logged
KDS
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »

With the exception of Magical Mystery Tour.  When I first really got into The Beatles, the albums were released on CD in the US, and when that happened, Capitol followed the UK versions, except for MMT which included the extra US tracks
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »

Me too.  When I first heard the CD releases, I was shocked NOT to hear all of the reverb on I Feel Fine and She's a Woman, as well as the different intro to Money and the lack of additional harmonica on Thank You Girl.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »

Me too.  When I first heard the CD releases, I was shocked NOT to hear all of the reverb on I Feel Fine and She's a Woman, as well as the different intro to Money and the lack of additional harmonica on Thank You Girl.
Our local oldies station plays She's a Woman quite often - and it always sounds wrong to me without the reverb.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »

Please Please Me: Baby It's You

With The Beatles: All I've Got To Do

A Hard Day's Night: I'll Be Back

Beatles For Sale: Every Little Thing

Help!: Ticket To Ride

Rubber Soul: Norwegian Wood

Revolver: Tomorrow Never Knows

Sgt Pepper: A Day In The Life

White Album: Martha My Dear

Abbey Road: Something

Let It Be: The Long And Winding Road
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »

Please Please Me: Anna (Go To Him) -- The singing is passionate and the chorus momentous. The best Beatles cover song IMO
With the Beatles: All I've Got To Do -- John's sexiest song. Another passionate vocal.
A Hard Day's Night: I Should Have Known Better -- Very cute and very chirpy. Definitely the catchiest track on the album.
Beatles For Sale: I'll Follow The Sun -- Great phrase to write a song around! Effortless and pretty.
Help!: Ticket To Ride -- John's vocal is sexy but it also had their most mature lyric to date; it was possibly Lennon's first song to admit his own faults ("She said that living with me was bringing her down.")
Rubber Soul: In My Life -- Another giant leap forward for Lennon as a lyric writer as well as a melodist. Also, who else wrote about death in a pop ballad back in the 60s?
Revolver: Eleanor Rigby -- Great story, melody, and strings. McCartney's most poignant moment.
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: She's Leaving Home -- Amazing collaboration between John and Paul. John's response lyrics seal the deal.
Magical Mystery Tour: Strawberry Fields Forever -- Totally surreal, but also heartfelt. It could have been a flop if he wasn't influenced by acid, but it ended up being one of the best songs of all time.
The Beatles: Julia -- Tender, heartbreaking, poetic. An improvement over the similarly themed In My Life, and also one of the greatest love songs of all time.
Yellow Submarine: Hey Bulldog -- A rather slight song, but I guess I had to pick a "favorite."
Abbey Road -- I Want You (She's So Heavy): Utter musical genius. Captures the torture of love impecabbly. An extremely ambitious moment for John.
Let It Be -- The Long and Winding Road: Sentimental, but also bluesy. Something McCartney seems to excel at.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx