gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:37:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beatles Songs :/  (Read 39445 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »

I can't understand how anybody can hate Revolution 9.  Maybe find it unsettling (it's supposed to be unsettling) but I've always found it pretty awesome.

Ditto that. I even love both Honey Pies. (Long Time is the only one I am ever tempted to skip).
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »

I'm sure Beatles has worse songs, but I pretty much hate these:

No Reply
All You Need Is Love
P.S. I Love You
Ob-la-di Ob-la-da

Overrated cheesy crap. Every Beach Boys' hit song is better than these, especially Kokomo.
Love Ob la di Ob la da!

And Maxwell's Silver hammer!

Fun stuff!

Sir Paul has a cool YouTube of Ob la di

Maybe cheese but so well done!  Wink As duly-noted above.

There is a "read of the lyrics" by Sir Paul...very clever (Maxwell's Silver Hammer)...as well as "Why Don't We Do it in the road."

Adailton Lacerda channel on YouTube.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:50:37 PM by filledeplage » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2014, 02:06:24 PM »

I can understand why people wouldn't like Revolution #9. If you want an ice cream sundae with strawberries and someone gives you German chocolate cake, it doesn't much matter how good the cake is: you wanted the sundae. Honestly, that's how I look at many musical disagreements. They depend on what the listener wanted more than (or at least as much as) what the musician provided.

Many tunes I love are being listed here as "worsts," too. Oh well. I won't bother naming all of those with whom I disagree, but I do want to say how much I agree with Ron about "Mean Mr. Mustard." It's fantastic. Love the groove. Love the scratchy vocal. Love the chromatic chord runs. Love the simple vocal harmony on the second verse. LOVE the time sig change. (I feel like BW when he talks about liking Spector: i liked the music, I like how he looked, i liked how he dressed, i just liked him!)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »

Revolution 9 is the absolute WORST thing they ever attempted.   
Wow, I haven't yet heard the whole White album but that song was BAD! Why in the hell did they release stuff like that.

Dude they were all on drugs...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »

I can't understand how anybody can hate Revolution 9.  Maybe find it unsettling (it's supposed to be unsettling) but I've always found it pretty awesome.

Ditto that. I even love both Honey Pies. (Long Time is the only one I am ever tempted to skip).

I usually fall asleep, and then wake up on the next song.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »

(Long Time is the only one I am ever tempted to skip).

You mean "Long, Long, Long"?  Dude, that's one of George Harrison's greatest songs.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2014, 10:56:35 PM »

You mean "Long, Long, Long"?  Dude, that's one of George Harrison's greatest songs.

Besides the lack of melody?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »

Besides the lack of melody?

I've honestly never heard anybody badmouth that song before.  I think it's just breathtakingly beautiful.  Elliott Smith used to close his concerts with a cover of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehanwikt8qI

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »

Maybe... It bores the bejeezus out of me though...
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »

Maybe... It bores the bejeezus out of me though...

I agree that it is horrible and drawn out.  Not a good mix.   I always skip it, Revolution 9, Wild Honey Pie and Goodnight.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2014, 10:18:21 PM »

I love Blue Jay Way!
I love everything from Magical Mystery Tour, my favourite Beatles record!

Though I honestly dislike the White Album, except for a few songs off it.

Magical Mystery Tour is my favorite too.  I see it as their most consistent album of their later period.  And their most consistently impressive album overall.  The walrus thing is a bit dorky, but it's a nice groove, I suppose.  There's some moving stuff on this album -- which, to me, is rare for the Beatles.  Like Abbey Road, there's something nice going on -- it's as deep as they ever got, I think anyway.

The "White" album is snotty.  I'll just say "the end was nigh."  A few good songs but they're tossed in with a lot of hackneyed ideas.  I can't decide if it's pretentious -- or just a sack of dirty laundry.

LOL

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2014, 01:06:18 AM »

Very few Beatles numbers I dislike, although Let It Be is erratic to a degree. I think the worst sounding number they ever released was "Hold Me Tight", Paul sounds out of tune on it or something, maybe he had a cold. It sticks out more because the rest of that album (With the Beatles UK version) is just so strong, vocally especially.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »

I've honestly never heard anybody badmouth that song before.  I think it's just breathtakingly beautiful.  Elliott Smith used to close his concerts with a cover of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehanwikt8qI
So what? It could be Brian Wilson or my other favorite, NRBQ, covering it but nothing would convince me of listening to that bore, unless my own opinion of the song changes in the future. Of eastern-flavored songs I'm most keen on "Instant Light". Now that is beautiful & catchy one.

MMT is insanely great! Agree with Mr. Bag's sentiment regarding White Album too.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »

Revolution #9
It's All Too Much
Only a Northern Song
Mr.  Moonlight
Dizzie Miss Lizzie
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »

Revolution #9
It's All Too Much

Can't agree on those two. "It's All Too Much" is a gas!

Maybe you prefer Steve Hillage's version (a gas in its own right):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9oNigAIrI

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »

Holy crap, that drum sound blows!  Sounds like banging on metal garbage cans!  Makes me want to re-think my choice now...
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »

Run for Your Life "wins" hands down. What a cringeworthy song.
There are other Beatles songs that I don't care for but this sticks out like a sore thumb, being on the Rubber Soul album.
That song is why that album doesn't make my top 5 Beatles albums list.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:37:04 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2016, 05:04:34 AM »

Imho the Fab4 are usually at their best in their more whimsical things, and at their worst in the slow/"serious" numbers. I think songs like Michelle and Let It Be, for example, are very overrated (my sugar detector beeps wildly on them).
However, the one which makes me really cringe is "The Long and Winding Road". Brian should have covered it in GIOMH. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:09:58 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2016, 05:20:02 AM »

However, the one which makes me really cringe is "The Long and Winding Road".

Yes, that one. Grin

Hats off to Phil Spector for doing the right thing and laying it on thicker than thick rather than trying to save the unsavable with a few deft touches.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx