gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:43:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Way down in the jungle room" - Next Presley Legacy release  (Read 8164 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »

Slated for release in august, a new Legacy project focusing on Elvis' last studio recordings will be available on CD and LP.

The recordings we're talking about were made in 1976. Since Elvis wasn't to go into a recording studio, they built one in his now famous "jungle room". The recordings are subject of discussions among fans. The first album released - From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee - shows Elvis going for a very lush, "orchestral" (orchestral is not the right word, but I don't know what to call it) sound. The second album - Moody Blue - is more or less the opposite and imo could've been a strong release. Could, because since Elvis didn't record enough material and wasn't about to go back to record, they filled the album with 3 live recordings from 1977 (the opener "Unchained melody" is a great track but was heavily overdubbed with orchestra, which in fact hid some weak spots) and one from 1974 that was already released (!!) on his Memphis concert album.
The songs on the first album are mostly very down and sad. The whole thing seems very personal and to me kind of uncomfortable. Nonetheless it features one of my all time favorite Presley performances, "Danny boy". Other acts would kill just to have one performance like that in their lifetime; this guy has lots of those.

Anyway, here is more (in parts somewhat "enthusiastic"):

RCA/Legacy Recordings Set to Release Elvis Presley’s Way Down In The Jungle Room, A New 2CD Collection of Elvis’ Final Studio Recordings, on Friday, August 5

Definitive Compilation of Presley’s Last Sessions—Recorded in Graceland’s Legendary «Jungle Room»—Includes Studio Masters, Rare Alternate Takes and 16-page Booklet

June 16, 2016- New York, NY-RCA Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Way Down In The Jungle Room, a definitive new 2CD collection of Elvis Presley’s last studio recordings, on Friday, August 5.

The most complete and comprehensive collection of Presley’s final studio recordings ever assembled in one anthology, Way Down In The Jungle Room is an essential and welcome addition for every fan’s library. In the mid-1970s, Elvis, the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll, became another kind of pioneer as one of the world’s first major recording artists to create fully-realized professional level records in the intimacy of his own home studio.

With original recordings executive-produced by Elvis Presley with producer Felton Jarvis (who’d helmed most of Elvis’ records from 1966-1977), Way Down In The Jungle Room brings together, for the first time in one collection, master recordings and rare outtakes laid down during two mythic sessions (February 2-8, 1976 and October 28-30, 1976) in Graceland’s den–known as the “Jungle Room”–which was converted into a professional caliber recording studio for the purpose of capturing these indelible performances. The outtakes have been newly mixed by Grammy Award-winning engineer Matt Ross-Spang at Sam Phillips Recording in Memphis, Tennessee.

For these sessions, Elvis was backed by many members of his longtime touring band including: James Burton (guitar), Ronnie Tutt (drums), David Briggs (keyboards), Glenn D. Hardin (keyboards), Jerry Scheff (bass), Norbert Putnam (bass) and J.D. Sumner & the Stamps (vocals).

In 1976, when the tracks for Way Down In The Jungle Room were cut, Elvis Presley had been an RCA Records recording artist for 20 years, inventing the sound and attitude that defined the very essence of rock ‘n’ roll. That same year, RCA released The Sun Sessions, the label’s first official collection of the electrifying 1954-1955 Elvis recordings that launched his career while transforming the world.

Having entered his 40s, Elvis Presley was evolving as an artist and, rather than bask in the nostalgia of his 1950s watershed recordings, was looking for new ways to express himself musically. Needing to create new sounds for a new era, Elvis Presley–who’d been charting on Country and Adult Contemporary stations–decided to convert the Hawaiian-themed “Jungle Room” (a relaxation den in his fabled Graceland mansion in Memphis, Tennessee) into an informal home studio, where he could lay down tracks the way he wanted, outside the budget and scheduling pressures of the professional studios he’d worked in previously. With the help of RCA’s mobile recording truck and longtime producer Felton Jarvis and engineer Mike Moran at the board, Elvis tackled a far-ranging mix of country and pop covers (“Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain,” “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again,” “Danny Boy,” “Solitaire”) and late-period classics of his catalog, such as “Moody Blue” and “Way Down.”

Ten of the “Jungle Room” master takes first emerged on From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee in the spring of 1976, including the Top 10 hit “Hurt.” More tracks from these sessions were later paired with live material and released in July 1977 (a month before Elvis’ death on August 16) on the Moody Blue album. The title track would top the country charts that month; “Way Down” would follow. These were the last studio albums released during Elvis’ lifetime.

According to the album’s producers, Way Down In The Jungle Room has been resequenced to “bring a fresh perspective to the material.” The material on Disc 2 – The Outtakes was mixed for this collection at the Sam Phillips Recording Service in Memphis and includes both outtakes and in-the-studio dialog, providing a “fly-on-the-wall experience of what the sessions were like.” With the exception of track 13 (“She Thinks I Still Care”), the performances on Disc 2 have been sequenced in the order they were recorded.

Way Down In The Jungle Room with also be available on 150g 12″ vinyl in a 2LP gatefold sleeve and as a digital collection.

Elvis Presley
Way Down In The Jungle Room

2CD
DISC 1 – THE MASTERS

01 Way Down (2:38)
02 She Thinks I Still Care (3:51)
03 Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall (3:17)
04 Pledging My Love (2:51)
05 For The Heart (3:22)
06 Love Coming Down (3:07)
07 He’ll Have To Go (4:32)
08 Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain (3:41)
09 Hurt (2:07)
10 Never Again (2:51)
11 Danny Boy (3:56)
12 Solitaire (4:40)
13 Moody Blue (2:49)
14 It’s Easy For You (3:27)
15 I’ll Never Fall In Love Again (3:44)
16 The Last Farewell (4:02)

DISC 2 – THE OUTTAKES

01 Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall – take 1 (5:15)
02 She Thinks I Still Care – take 10 (6:30)
03 The Last Farewell – take 2 (4:15)
04 Solitaire – take 7 (5:37)
05 I’ll Never Fall In Love Again – take 5 (4:04)
06 Moody Blue – take1 (3:53)
07 For The Heart – take 1 (3:55)
08 Hurt – take 3 (2:30)
09 Danny Boy – take 9 (4:02)
10 Never Again – take 9 – 3:56
11 Love Coming Down – take 3 (3:17)
12 Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain – take 4 (4:59)
13 She Thinks I Still Care – (alternate version) take 2 (4:26)
14 It’s Easy For You – take 1 – (5:24)
15 Way Down – take 2 – (3:50)
16 Pledging My Love – take 3 (5:34)
17 For The Heart – take 4 (4:13)

2LP
DISC 1, SIDE 1

01 Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall – take 1 (5:15)
02 She Thinks I Still Care – take 10 (6:30)
03 The Last Farewell – take 2 (4:15)
04 Solitaire – take 7 (5:37)

DISC 1, SIDE 2

01 I’ll Never Fall In Love Again – take 5 (4:04)
02 Moody Blue – take 1 (3:53)
03 For The Heart – take 1 (3:55)
04 Hurt – take 3 (2:30)
05 Danny Boy – take 9 (4:02)

DISC 2, SIDE 3

01 Never Again – take 9 (3:56)
02 Love Coming Down – take 3 (3:17)
03 Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain – take 4 (4:59)
04 She Thinks I Still Care – (alternate version) take 2 (4:26)

DISC 2, SIDE 4

01 It’s Easy For You – take 1 (5:24)
02 Way Down – take 2 (3:50)
03 Pledging My Love – take 3 (5:34)
04 For The Heart – take 4 (4:13)

Source: http://www.elvisthemusic.com/elvis-presleys-way-jungle-room-due-august-5/

Hear Elvis' Rare 'She Thinks I Still Care' From Last Sessions

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-elvis-rare-she-thinks-i-still-care-from-last-sessions-20160616#ixzz4BktptIwv

During the sessions

Unheard Elvis Presley ‘Way Down in the Jungle Room’ sessions coming in Aug.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/entertainment/music/memphis-music-beat/memphis-music-beat-unheard-elvis-presley-way-down-in-the-jungle-room-sessions-coming--35b9a966-e0f8--383662641.html

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:48:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 10:31:24 PM »

I get grief from the experts over at FECC every time I try to defend 70's Elvis. I'll be honest, the first album to come out of the Jungle Room Sessions is not one of my favorite Elvis albums. In fact, the lush production that you mentioned is part of what hurts it. I understand why they did that, but the songs sound better on the JRS FTD. Elvis' voice sounds tired, worn; the album as a whole is so downbeat. Hard to believe just a year had passed since Today, where he sounds great. I do like the Moody Blue album, and Elvis sounds a bit better on the second JRS tracks. I'm not saying this Legacy release is going to be in the same league as the Stax Sessions, but I will buy it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 02:56:14 AM »

I agree with you. And btw I know someone, a musician himself who has worked with a lot of famous artists in Germany but also worked with the TCB band on some of his demos, and "Boulevard" is his favorite Elvis album.
I also have some problems with the arrangements for the overdubs. But, it is what Elvis wanted and they cover up some of the weaker spots. "I'll never fall in love again" undubbed unfortunately shows Elvis not reaching the heights he had before. But it works with the overdubs.

Speaking of that song, my favorite version is the original by the late great Lonnie Donegan. Imo this one blows away all other version (that I have heard) for the sheer stripped down, authentic feeling Lonnie (who co-wrote the song; but see the video which seems to have better infos than me) puts into it:

Lonnie Donegan - I'll Never Fall In Love Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMNLT8IGsA
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:57:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:46:40 PM »

I agree with you. And btw I know someone, a musician himself who has worked with a lot of famous artists in Germany but also worked with the TCB band on some of his demos, and "Boulevard" is his favorite Elvis album.
I also have some problems with the arrangements for the overdubs. But, it is what Elvis wanted and they cover up some of the weaker spots. "I'll never fall in love again" undubbed unfortunately shows Elvis not reaching the heights he had before. But it works with the overdubs.

Speaking of that song, my favorite version is the original by the late great Lonnie Donegan. Imo this one blows away all other version (that I have heard) for the sheer stripped down, authentic feeling Lonnie (who co-wrote the song; but see the video which seems to have better infos than me) puts into it:

Lonnie Donegan - I'll Never Fall In Love Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMNLT8IGsA
Thanks for sharing that, the only other version I'd heard was Tom Jones'. Elvis would have nailed that song if he'd sung it a few years before. Cool that your friend is a fan of Boulevard; the way I feel about music is, everyone should be able to like what they like.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:12:32 AM »

Also interesting is to note, that Elvis recorded two George Jones' numbers during these sessions. "She thinks I still care" and "Love coming down" (to be fair: I guess Elvis and George worked from the same demo). Imo he totally beats George on the first one. Elvis just nailed it on the master take. When it comes to "Love coming down", I prefer Jones' version.

George Jones - She thinks I still care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UquXUYfHYok

George Jones - Love coming down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJi1NHE2lvE

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »

Also interesting is to note, that Elvis recorded two George Jones' numbers during these sessions. "She thinks I still care" and "Love coming down" (to be fair: I guess Elvis and George worked from the same demo). Imo he totally beats George on the first one. Elvis just nailed it on the master take. When it comes to "Love coming down", I prefer Jones' version.

I wonder if those 2 ever met?  I've never read anywhere that they did; Jones had a nice song back in the 80's "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?" I remember the video showing several pics of Elvis.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »

I wonder if those 2 ever met?  I've never read anywhere that they did; Jones had a nice song back in the 80's "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?" I remember the video showing several pics of Elvis.

They sure did, but only for a short moment it seems. Here's what George had to say in his autobiography (highly recommended):

Back to Gabe, who was responsible for getting me on the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport, the deep south's answer to the Grand Ole Opry. A lot of acts who became big Opry stars cut their teeth on the Hayride.
The first night I played the Hayride I worked with Tibby Edwards, David Houston, Floyd Cramer, and a kid who had only a few records out. It represented a new music called rock 'n' roll. He was shy and didn't want to come out of his dressing room. He was surrounded by his people, who I guess were protecting him. So I spent very little time with Elvis Presley.
I remember he was friendly, but, again, we didn't really get to visit. I watched his show from the side. That was the first time I had ever seen anybody sing while shaking.

And from "The devil in George Jones" :

The record brought him to national prominence and served as his entrée to Louisiana Hayride, an influential Shreveport radio show on which Hank Williams had made his big-time debut and that now featured Elvis Presley. “I didn’t get to know him that well,” said Jones, recalling the days when he and Elvis were both at fame’s edge. “He stayed pretty much with his friends around him in the dressing room. Nobody seemed to get around him much any length of time and talk to him.” Except for the dressing room friends, Jones, a loner even backstage, could have been speaking of himself.

Here's the article: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/the-devil-in-george-jones/

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »

Thanks for sharing. It's always cool to read about the stars of that era and what their interactions were.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »

Thanks for sharing. It's always cool to read about the stars of that era and what their interactions were.

Yeah, especially the early years of Rock'n'Roll with the Louisiana Hayride and those kind of shows are fascinating to me.

On another note, if you didn't catch what George had to say about the Beach Boys in his book, check out this:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15576.msg380807.html#msg380807

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 05:41:51 PM »

Yeah, especially the early years of Rock'n'Roll with the Louisiana Hayride and those kind of shows are fascinating to me.

On another note, if you didn't catch what George had to say about the Beach Boys in his book, check out this:

It's too bad that there are so few interviews with Elvis. I know he was not a guy who was gonna spill his guts on the pages of Rolling Stone, as the stars are expected to do, but a good interviewer could have had a very nice conversation with him just about the music. I'm sure he would enjoyed talking at length about the artists that influenced him, and the contemporary artists that he admired.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »

The Gates of Graceland - The Jungle Room Sessions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2RWfnRz1Oo

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »

It's too bad that there are so few interviews with Elvis. I know he was not a guy who was gonna spill his guts on the pages of Rolling Stone, as the stars are expected to do, but a good interviewer could have had a very nice conversation with him just about the music. I'm sure he would enjoyed talking at length about the artists that influenced him, and the contemporary artists that he admired.

Agreed.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 04:45:03 AM »

Here are three small previews from the "Way Down In The Jungle Room" booklet.

Source: http://elvisdaybyday.com/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:46:47 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »

Why Elvis wanted Bowie by his side: The King's twilight years revisited in double album of highlights from his last two records

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3724662/Why-Elvis-wanted-Bowie-side.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »

Review: Elvis Presley Reissue Eavesdrops Into His Final Recordings

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/review-elvis-presley-reissue-eavesdrops-into-his-final-recordings-w432802

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »

Why This New Reissue Might Change Your Mind About Elvis Presley's Later Career
Way Down in the Jungle Room, recorded at Graceland, offers a different look at the King of Rock and Roll a year before his death.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a47425/elvis-in-the-jungle-room/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »

Inside Elvis Presley's Legendary Man-Cave Studio
Singer made final recordings in Hawaiian-themed Graceland den known as the Jungle Room

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-elvis-presleys-legendary-man-cave-studio-w432565

Way Down in the Jungle Room

Has there ever been an artist who catalog has been as purloined, chopped, reshuffled and repackaged as Elvis Presley? From the glut of hastily assembled albums released in the wake of his untimely death at the age of 42 in August of 1977 to the seemingly endless stream of live recordings, greatest hits packages and remastered editions of his original albums, it seems everything Elvis ever laid to tape has seen the light of day in some way, shape or form. And while not all of it is worth pursuing—Having Fun with Elvis on Stage is certainly for completists only—much of his post-“comeback” output is far better than it has been falsely remembered within the broader scheme of popular culture. Painted as a bloated caricature of the heartthrob he had once been, the version of Elvis in the 1970s that exists within the collective cultural unconscious is an exaggerated parody of the truth.

http://www.popmatters.com/review/elvis-presley-way-down-in-the-jungle-room/#ixzz4GpHV9kqC

Elvis Presley, 'Way Down In The Jungle Room'

In February and October 1976, Elvis Presley converted the den of his Graceland mansion -- the now famous “jungle room” -- into a recording studio of sorts and brought in a mobile recording truck to capture what would turn out to be his final studio recordings.

http://journalstar.com/entertainment/music/elvis-presley-way-down-in-the-jungle-room/article_9e91a8f4-da8f-5dea-9274-f7db1b2fbe82.html

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:12:01 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 09:03:45 AM »

Elvis Presley - Way Down in the Jungle Room

Tracked at Graceland in 1976, the recordings on this double-disc compilation show that Elvis never stopped believing in the power of music, that he never stopped searching for the right song to sing.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22213-way-down-in-the-jungle-room/

Conclusive proof that Presley’s crown hardly slipped at all

http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/jungle-room

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 03:22:11 AM »

'Way Down In The Jungle Room'
40th Anniversary Legacy release
- CD review by Piers Beagley

The original albums “From Elvis Presley Boulevard” and “Moody Blue” received very poor reviews back in 1976 / 77 so presenting these same songs to the general public 40 years later as “an essential and welcome addition for every fan's library” with comments that Elvis was “still evolving as an artist” and that he was a driving force in creating the Jungle Room studio needs to be a very clever sleight of the hand indeed.

But in the same way that Ernst Jorgensen / Roger Semon / Rob Santos / John Jackson produced the sensational ‘Elvis At Stax’ cleverly presenting Elvis’ 1973 recordings as “inspired soul-funk”, the same team have done a similar neat trick with Elvis’ Jungle Room sessions.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:54:50 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »

Odd how Elvis seems to look thinner and better in nearly every 70s pic showing him wearing normal clothes instead of a jumpsuit.

EP BOULEVARD is solid but somber. Not for the beginning fan but a good album. MOODY BLUE was a bit of a patchwork but the title cut was a worthy late era Elvis hit. It only took RCA 40 years to package these tunes together. Wow.

("Moody Blue" was recorded in Feb 76. Leaving it off the EP BOULEVARD album was typical of RCA's hidebound marketing practices.)

This is nice set - I'm going to buy it.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »

So next year there will be a 40th anniversary "Elvis In Concert" release?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:58:55 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »

"Way Down In The Jungle Room"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FHdoMznHc

For all I know these could be tracks ripped from elvis presley boulevard and moody blue sequenced in the right order (I haven't heard or purchased the official release). But I like the way it flows, I'll tell ya' that.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 09:51:10 PM »

So next year there will be a 40th anniversary "Elvis In Concert" release?
I hope so, it's long overdue. Obviously the tv special is NEVER coming out, so it would make sense to redo the EIC album as just a concert album instead of the soundtrack to a tv special.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »

I saw this cd at the mall the other day for $15.00(it was on sale). Was that a good deal?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »

I saw this cd at the mall the other day for $15.00(it was on sale). Was that a good deal?

Not especially at this price.  However, I have heard the CD and the first disc is very good.  Disc of outtakes are somewhat meh, though.  Good songs on the CD....but Elvis could sing the phone book as far as that goes and make it entertaining.  Such a dramatic voice!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx