gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:17:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are We Skewing The Meaning of (Beach Boys) Songs?  (Read 10545 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »

While I can overlook any "creepiness" due to age because the writer/singer is not the same as the 'character' singing (the "You're Sixteen" example), I have always had a problem with guys in their 70's singing "Isn't it time we go steady again?"  Because in that song it clearly is being sung from an older point of view and just sounds silly when they sing it.

The other lyric that give me pause is:
"Took me back darlin' to that time in my car
When you cried all night cause we'd gone too far"

It just paint a bad picture.
Kermit - what cracks me up about this thread is that when you listen to hip hop or some of the rap music, much of it is utterly filthy.

Whatever is in the BB catalog is tame by comparison.   Using a lens from 2016 to measure the 60's or 70's is absurd and inappropriate because it is not contemporaneous.

The mores were entirely different and as Don mentioned, was not a feminist-based agenda.   

Trying to assign a connotation or taking a trip through Brian's cranium is impossible.  Only he knows his conceptualization process. 

When they hand out condoms in high school, there is a presumption that you can never go too far," just use protection. 

That was not even on the radar screen back-in-the-day. 
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »

I don't know what the sexual mores were like in Hawthorne in the earky 1960s, but Marilyn's parents seemed okay with it and I wonder of that five year age difference was that uncommon at the time. Obviously, things have moved on in most respects.
And before Marilyn entered the picture, there was Judy Bowles.  She was born October 31, 1946, according to Jim Murphy's Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963.  Murphy quotes her as saying her parents didn't have a problem with the age difference.  They did want her to graduate from high school before she married Brian, and she planned to graduate early.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 11:19:47 PM »

I don't know what the sexual mores were like in Hawthorne in the earky 1960s, but Marilyn's parents seemed okay with it and I wonder of that five year age difference was that uncommon at the time. Obviously, things have moved on in most respects.
And before Marilyn entered the picture, there was Judy Bowles.  She was born October 31, 1946, according to Jim Murphy's Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963.  Murphy quotes her as saying her parents didn't have a problem with the age difference.  They did want her to graduate from high school before she married Brian, and she planned to graduate early.
Shocked Shocked I guess Brian was a pedo!  Angry Cry LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx