gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680999 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 12:04:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which album do you prefer?
Mr. Tambourine Man - 4 (20%)
Rubber Soul - 16 (80%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mr. Tambourine Man or Rubber Soul  (Read 6583 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »

I know the Byrds wanted to be the "American Beatles" and borrowed a lot of their sound from the Beatles. The Byrds are one of my top favorite bands. But I feel Rubber Soul is so Byrds influenced, with songs like "Nowhere Man", that's it really the Beatles trying to do a folk rock album and using the Byrds as their model. And I don't think its as good as Mr. Tambourine Man. I don't think the songs or the production are as strong. Even the Rubber Soul album cover is a rip off of the Mr. Tambourine Man album cover.

I'm sure everybody else will disagree.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:50:52 AM »

rubber soul.

as good as some of Mr Tambourine Man is, they were not quite there yet.
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:22:59 AM »

I know the Byrds wanted to be the "American Beatles" and borrowed a lot of their sound from the Beatles. The Byrds are one of my top favorite bands. But I feel Rubber Soul is so Byrds influenced, with songs like "Nowhere Man", that's it really the Beatles trying to do a folk rock album and using the Byrds as their model. And I don't think its as good as Mr. Tambourine Man. I don't think the songs or the production are as strong. Even the Rubber Soul album cover is a rip off of the Mr. Tambourine Man album cover.

I'm sure everybody else will disagree.

I don't necessarily disagree, though I like Rubber Soul a bit better. The Byrds definitely had a more direct connection to 'folk music' than did the Beatles, or a folk scene at any rate (arguably not, depending on what you think of skiffle.) The folk guys who influenced the Byrds were in turn also influenced by Buddy Holly (Fred Neil, Dylan) and Leadbelly (Bob Gibson), as were the Beatles. Just makes me think of what an interesting time it was for cross-pollination of musical genres.

Song for song I think Rubber Soul is a bit stronger, with more variety if that's your bag.

I wonder which group had access to more and better drugs at the time?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »

You think drugs were an influence on those albums?

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 10:03:08 AM »

I agree with all your comparisons.
i.e ripping off the cover a bit the folk influence. I think If I Needed Someone is the most notable Byrds rip off isn't it.
However I reckon RS is better. Especially The US version. The Uk is let down a bit  by "What goes on" IMO
The Beatles had all that experience under their belt by then.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 12:04:55 PM »

I think If I Needed Someone is the most notable Byrds rip off isn't it.

Yeah, that's probably the most 'Byrds-like' song on the album.

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 02:32:08 AM »

I heard that George sent Mcguinn an acetate of it before it was released telling him it was inspired by "Bells Of Rhymney"

rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 05:43:54 AM »

You think drugs were an influence on those albums?

Yeah, prolly... but for sure is the influence drugs had on my perception of those albums.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 02:14:27 PM »

Rubber Soul all the way, the perfect pot album.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:19:21 AM »

Which version are we talking about because the most folky version was the US version, which wasn't Beatles' invention. The UK version was just as soul influenced, hence the title I guess.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 07:54:04 PM »

'Rubber Soul' seems stronger to me yet I can't enjoy it the same way as I can 'Mr. Tambourine Man'.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 11:04:49 AM »

I guess you are talking about the American version of Rubber Soul, when you refer to it as a folk rock album. The original British version was a more powerfull record.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 02:28:15 PM »

I don't like the British Rubber Soul that much. Too mixed and jumbly. The American version flows better without the fast rock songs like Drive My Car. American Rubber Soul is partially what inspired Brian to create Pet Sounds; it's a whole album. Yesterday and Today was a good Capitol album, too.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dugan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 03:05:57 PM »

Rubber Soul. Especially the US version
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx