gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:46:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Outtasight "really great mistake" in I'm Waiting For the Day opening verse  (Read 4004 times)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:43:21 AM »

Something's been nagging at the back of my mind for years and thought I'd open it up for discussion even though it's almost certainly hopeless. What was the note progression as originally written for the little riff that the studio musician makes the "really great mistake" on, that winds up taking its place? I think Brian probably has it stored somewhere deep in his memory, but getting him at the right time, place & mood to think about it and dredge it up would be quite difficult. I hope someone is able to before it's too late, I'd really like to know even though it's a minor afterthought in the larger scheme of things. Maybe it's notated on a PS session chart somewhere? Huh

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »

No one has a single thing to say about this? I realize it's not a ready topic for lengthy conversation, but I thought maybe someone.... I guess I'm just a true eccentric among eccentrics. 3D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:22:35 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »

No one has a single thing to say about this? I know it's not a ready topic for lengthy conversation, but I thought maybe someone.... I guess I'm just a true eccentric among eccentrics. 3D

I reckon it was very similar to what Brian intended.  Maybe the phrasing was slightly different.  The timing was a little off but probably essentially the same notes.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »

You may well be right, for some reason I hadn't considered that very logical explanation. I guess I'm kind of an all or nothing person, and when I heard "mistake" I thought as in wrong note(s) played. It's still possible that actual notes were different, but in light of your comment I think the odds are probably against it, at that. Thanks.

Daly, Chicago 1968
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 03:06:08 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but I assume you're talking about the eight-note riff on what sounds like a muted tack piano (G# a G# F#-E-B-c# e). I looked through all my PS books (Granata, Abbott, Fusilli, PSS booklet) but could find no mention of a "really great mistake".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:24:21 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:34:00 AM »

Maybe the B and c# were originally reversed. Or, more plausibly, the player (Al de Lory?) should have played F# before the beat followed by E-C#-B-c# e, and squeezed in whatever notes he could to bring it back to e on time.    

Makes me think of another really great mistake, the one in the riff of Tubeway Army's "Are 'Friends' Electric?"...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:26:04 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:34:07 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but I assume you're talking about the eight-note riff on what sounds like a muted tack piano (G# a G# F#-E-B-c# e). I looked through all my PS books (Granata, Abbott, Fusilli, PSS booklet) but could find no mention of a "really great mistake".

You can hear it on the Pet Sounds Sessions. The player plays the notes and Brian laughs and says, "How did you play that? That was a really great mistake." The player (Al?) says, "No kidding? I thought it felt wrong."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:16:31 AM »

You can hear it on the Pet Sounds Sessions. The player plays the notes and Brian laughs and says, "How did you play that? That was a really great mistake." The player (Al?) says, "No kidding? I thought it felt wrong."

Thanks, Amy. I found it here (from 1:50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sl6IG_uxx8

Maybe the sequence Al (?) plays at 2:04 is what Brian originally asked for:  | [1] G# a G# | F# E [3] B-c# | e.  That last "e" is on the one.  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:34:17 AM by john k » Logged

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »

Thanks, Amy. I found it here (from 1:50):

Maybe the sequence Al (?) plays at 2:04 is what Brian originally asked for:  | [1] G# a G# | F# E [3] B-c# | e.  That last "e" is on the one.  

It sounds to me like at 2:04 they're trying out the new notes, not what was originally intended, because they are repeating the "mistake" at Brian's request, but with different phrasing. Interestingly (to me anyway) the first time Al spontaneously plays it it flows more smoothly than it does on the master take. I wonder if Brian preferred that or if Al was just unable to replicate his lightning-in-a-bottle improvisation no matter how hard he tried?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:34:01 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »

It sounds to me like at 2:04 they're trying out the new notes, not what was originally intended, because they are repeating the "mistake" at Brian's request, but with different phrasing. Interestingly (to me anyway) the first time Al spontaneously plays it it flows more smoothly than it does on the master take. I wonder if Brian preferred that or if Al was just unable to replicate his lightning-in-a-bottle improvisation no matter how hard he tried?

I'm not sure. In fact I stick with what I wrote, because the guitarist, presumably Ray Pohlman, had just repeated the "mistake" for Brian's benefit (at 2:02). And the audible difference (to you anyway) between the first time and the master take is as you say: one was spontaneous and the other deliberate.   

Just my third and four eurocents.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »

I'm confused about the whole thing at this point. The riff in the finished song is just maybe more polished to Brian's ears, more proportional, so maybe he wanted it that way, or as I said before the smoothness of the initial inadvertent but serendipitous error was not easily recaptured, so he just decided that that was the best he was going to get. Veering off-topic, I hope your eurocents will keep their full value in the coming months, as I also hope for my pocket change.

Daly, Chicago 1968
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »

Veering off-topic, I hope your eurocents will keep their full value in the coming months, as I also hope for my pocket change.

I'll drink to that!  Beer

terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »

I've always assumed that the original riff was supposed to be what the flutes are playing at 1:50

https://youtu.be/CedoRjvfK58?t=108
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »

I've always assumed that the original riff was supposed to be what the flutes are playing at 1:50

Or here, as the other didn't work for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFy-j7XF0dc

Wow----that sounds extremely plausible to me. It's the same notes that Al goes through at 2:04 here:

but the two groups of notes (G#-a-G#-F#-E and  B-c#-e) are reversed.

That's quite a revelation----thank you!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »

There is some similarity, but I don't see how what Al plays could accidentally deviate quite that much from this flute part in order to merit that assumption. Undecided
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:08:50 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »

There is some similarity, but I don't see how what Al plays could accidentally deviate quite that much from this flute part in order to merit that assumption. Undecided

You have a point, but I guess I'm just happy chewing the fat about one of my all-time favourite Beach Boys songs. :=)

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »

You have a point, but I guess I'm just happy chewing the fat about one of my all-time favourite Beach Boys songs. :=)

Yeah, it's been real. BTW there's a fantastic cover of IWFTD, an older one by a Japanese singer (I think) with a colorful name that I can't remember, which you should hear if you haven't already. Cheers.

Daly, Chicago 1968
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 02:56:08 AM »

BTW there's a fantastic cover of IWFTD, an older one by a Japanese singer (I think) with a colorful name that I can't remember, which you should hear if you haven't already. Cheers.

Do you mean Short Hair Front?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIwMCaxGUUA

Pretty cool!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 03:51:03 AM »

BTW there's a fantastic cover of IWFTD, an older one by a Japanese singer (I think) with a colorful name that I can't remember, which you should hear if you haven't already. Cheers.

Do you mean Short Hair Front?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIwMCaxGUUA

Pretty cool!

No, that's pretty decent but the one I'm talking about really rocks, and is from the '60s I think. It may not be a Japanese singer, I only heard it once and forgot to take notes in order to remember later. It may or may not be on YouTube. Some help I am, eh? Sorry....

Daly, Chicago 1968
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 04:42:35 AM »

No, that's pretty decent but the one I'm talking about really rocks, and is from the '60s I think. It may not be a Japanese singer, I only heard it once and forgot to take notes in order to remember later. It may or may not be on YouTube. Some help I am, eh? Sorry....

Haha. No problem. This one shifts along nicely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCD0X4W2Tk

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 02:18:01 AM »

That's the one.

Daly, Chicago 1968
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 06:17:28 PM »

Peanut was a singer produced by Mark Wirtz, the Peanuts were a Japanese female duo.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx