gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:49:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys America's Band book  (Read 3281 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »

I went to Barnes and Nobles the other day and found this book for 75% off! it only cost me $8.00..there are some cool rare photos and interesting stories however as I start reading it I find that some of the info is incorrect and that it has some really bad grammar (incomplete sentences etc) and major misspellings, for example "luau"  is spelled "lua" on the single but it's spelled normal in the rest of the book. there's also a photo of an overweight Brian with a long beard from the 70's that has the caption "Brian in the late 60's" written by it..also I may be wrong but I always thought the sandbox was put in his house at the time of Smile, in this book he got the sandbox just before Pet Sounds. also some sentences are hard to understand because words like "to" and "and" are missing in certain spots... but other than these things it's not a bad book.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:08:12 AM by joshferrell » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:16:44 AM »

I went to Barnes and Nobles the other day and found this book for 75% off! it only cost me $8.00..there are some cool rare photos and interesting stories however as I start reading it I find that some of the info is incorrect and that it has some really bad grammar (incomplete sentences etc) and major misspellings, for example "luau"  is spelled "lua" on the single but it's spelled normal in the rest of the book. there's also a photo of an overweight Brian with a long beard from the 70's that has the caption "Brian in the late 60's" written by it..also I may be wrong but I always thought the sandbox was put in his house at the time of Smile, in this book he got the sandbox just before Pet Sounds. also some sentences are hard to understand because words like "to" and "and" are missing in certain spots... but other than these things it's not a bad book.

I'll have to stop by a local B&N to see if I can snag it for $8.  I'd would be worth it just for the photos. 

Thanks for the information.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »

I'll have to stop by a local B&N to see if I can snag it for $8.  I'd would be worth it just for the photos. 

you're welcome, I found it in a discount bin and not on the shelves,,
KDS
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »

The discount bin is usually my first stop at B&N.  :-) 

And it seems like every store has the same books on discount, so I like my odds. 
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:12:45 AM »

The discount bin is usually my first stop at B&N.  :-) 

And it seems like every store has the same books on discount, so I like my odds. 
cool...just look for the "red stickers"
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 12:56:19 PM »

I was given this book as a Christmas present.  It is a really nice looking book (glossy pages, great photos) but you can get better info on Wikipedia.  I don't think I've looked at it more than once.  It's a shame that David Leaf's definitive Beach Boys book is still out of print.

pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:42:16 PM »

I bought this book for 50% off a few weeks ago, owned it for a day, read it overnight, and decided to return it the next day.

I too thought that it wasn't as factual as it could be, and I felt like the author did not proofread for errors anywhere in the book
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 05:07:20 AM »

I bought this book for 50% off a few weeks ago, owned it for a day, read it overnight, and decided to return it the next day.

I too thought that it wasn't as factual as it could be, and I felt like the author did not proofread for errors anywhere in the book

Any book that says Landy was still treating Brian in 1979 is very unfactual.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 08:38:51 AM »

Just found a couple more errors. apparently,according to this book, Dennis wrote "Funky Pretty" and he was the one who sang "Just once in my life".  LOL
KDS
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »

Just found a couple more errors. apparently,according to this book, Dennis wrote "Funky Pretty" and he was the one who sang "Just once in my life".  LOL

I've seen a lot of picture filled books on bands that seem to be rush released without much fact checking. 

I have a Pink Floyd book that called Roger Waters Roger Watts. 
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 09:43:13 AM »

I've seen a lot of picture filled books on bands that seem to be rush released without much fact checking. 

Watt the heck? lol...
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 10:45:30 AM »

Forgot about this one after seeing it at B&N quite a while ago (last year?).  Got it for half off two weeks ago, probably should have waited for the next price cut, but of course it would have been gone by then. Quite a few annoying errors, not much really new presented of any great importance, maybe some additional info on old topics, but some good photos I hadn't seen (or had forgotten I'd seen). I like the format, organizing the book by song and album releases. I'm glad I got it, even with its shortcomings. If you see it, grab it just to add to your collection.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »

I wonder if that author also thinks the drummer of the Rolling Stones is named Charlie Waters.

KDS
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 02:48:08 PM »

Got my discounted book from B& N.  It's worth the $8 for the pictures alone.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »

I wonder if that author also thinks the drummer of the Rolling Stones is named Charlie Waters.

I once read an otherwise most impressive book on punk rock that consistently called The Damned's lead vocalist Dave Vanium. Made him sound like a chemical element.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »

on B&N website you can check stock and price for local store here before you drive over there
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-beach-boys-johnny-morgan/1121299580
on the B&N website for shipping its 14.10 but when i clicked the check for pickup in store button it was in stock at all my local stores for 7.49
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »

I bought this book toward the end of last year (at a discount), and I can only echo what others are saying here.  Very attractive volume with many really good photos and a nice layout.  Looks good on my coffee table!

The (mis)information is pretty bad, even the most casual fan might catch some of the errors.  Not a good reference book, but nice to have around for the photos.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx