gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:12:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm in Great Shape.  (Read 3743 times)
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:09:09 PM »

In the lyrics 'Eggs and grits' , What exactly are 'Grits' ? I do not know this American term here in the UK.
SG7
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »

from Webster's Dictionary:

Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Pronunciation: 'grits
Etymology: perhaps partly from 1grit, partly from dialect grit coarse meal, from Old English grytt; akin to Old English greot
: coarsely ground hulled grain ; especially : ground hominy with the germ removed
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:34:52 PM »

Isn't it something like red fruit jelly? At least that's what my english-dictionary says

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »

Nope, the other definition is right -- fried ground-up corn, served with butter. Really quite good. A breakfast staple in the US south.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:28:34 PM »

DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »

Kind of like "Cream of Wheat" in texture with a slightly different flavor.  Always served with a pat of butter on the top and some keep a jar of Tabasco around for extra flavor.

Yeehaw!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 03:08:51 PM »

Aren't grits really just a vehicle for butter, anyway?  I like them pretty plain, but most people seem to drown the hominy in gallons of butter.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:13:11 PM »

I've eaten eggs and grits and I've gone lickety split but I STILL don't get the line

"I'm in the great shape of the agriculture...."    after all these years.

Just what kind of shape variation does agriculture have? Smiley

On the demo it's hard to hear that final word "agriculture" and I wonder if there wasn't some uncertainty about it at the time.

BTW, I think that "Over and over the crow cries uncover the corn field" is one of the most inspired and wonderful lines in any Beach Boys song.

Can anyone explain this use of "agriculture" to me?  TIA.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:24:18 PM »

In the demo, Brian sings "Upper Country".  The addition of "agriculture" is a product of BWPS.  It sounds like he says "agriculture" in the demo though, doesn't it?
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 05:15:28 PM »

It sure does sound like agriculture in the demo.
I need to listen to it again with new expectation.

"Upper country" is less mysterious to me than ag.
But what the heck about agriculture?

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 05:30:13 PM »

Since "Great Shape" is placed next to Vegetables and the Elements section in BWPS, instead of being a section of H&V, "agriculture" is probably just an apt lyric replacement to tie it in.  You're right though, doesn't make too much sense lyrically.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 06:45:44 PM »

You're right though, doesn't make too much sense lyrically.

That's Van Dyke Parks for you.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 07:30:18 PM »

You're right though, doesn't make too much sense lyrically.

That's Van Dyke Parks for you.

Very unrelatable, not a lot of boy-girl attraction there, definitely not commercial. Van Dyke should have changed 'grits' to 'egg mcmuffin.' That's a breakfast modern teenagers can "get".

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 07:46:07 PM »

I had always heard "open country" instead of "upper country."  Agriculture is farmland, barnyards, fresh air, milking cows, healthy "country" living, so with those associations the line makes sense to me.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 08:35:39 PM »

Aren't grits really just a vehicle for butter, anyway?  I like them pretty plain, but most people seem to drown the hominy in gallons of butter.

Yes. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Syrup and jelly are pretty good too.  Isn't hominy, which is ground into grits, corn treated with lye or something. Mmmmmmmmmm.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »

I had always heard "open country" instead of "upper country."  Agriculture is farmland, barnyards, fresh air, milking cows, healthy "country" living, so with those associations the line makes sense to me.

That works too.  But it's definitely " ... Country".  If only he had recorded a lead vocal.   Embarrassed
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 07:33:49 PM »

The real question is: it wasn't much of a song in 1966 with just that ONE fragment -- I still wonder what would have gone into it to justify a place on that tracklist, no matter WHO wrote it out?

Barynard? "Eat a lot, sleep a lot?" God knows!
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 07:55:20 PM »

Haven't you seen "My Cousin Vinny?"

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 04:03:30 PM »

I never thought the demo vocal was very clear on the last word/s, but when I heard the line on BWPS I knew it had to be "agriculture" originally as well. To my mind it's classic Parks wordplay: the culture is in great shape; the culture has to do with the land, fresh vegetables, etc.; the singer is part of the culture; therefore "I'm in the great shape of the agri-culture". No more mysterious than most of the lines in "Surf's Up".

By the way, I know someone pointed this out a while back (Jon?), but the final couplet in "Cabin Essence" is a fairly standard lyric with the second half of each line transposed to make it more trippy. As originally written, it was probably:

"Over and over, the thresher uncovers the cornfield.
Over and over, the crow cries and hovers the wheatfield."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx