gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:51:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For Stephen Desper - Carl and the 1972 Pet Sounds master.  (Read 3526 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »

Stephen, I know you were wrapping up your gig with the group around the time of the Carl And The Passions LP. Where you involved at all with the mastering of Pet Sounds for re-release on Warners in 1972? It is that master that was used on the recent PS boxset for the mono mix, and it is held in high regard by us old time nuts as one of the best sounding vinyl versions of the LP.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:12:42 PM »

good question. I wonder what Steve thinks of 'all' of these releases if he has heard them at all, and especially now the 72' version
is back in circulation.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »

good question. I wonder what Steve thinks of 'all' of these releases if he has heard them at all, and especially now the 72' version
is back in circulation.
COMMENT:  I don't keep up with it very much. I downloaded some of the hi-res stuff and have one of the so-called modern made LP's. But frankly since I have mastering equipment in my listening studio / theater that can make any of the releases sound better than the original, why bother with other releases. Some of this equipment is of my own design and some is optimized (modified) professional equipment. I have sources for obtaining flat transfers, and of those I have heard it makes no sense to pine over any of the new releases when I can improve the sound, bring out every nuance, and generally shape the sonic signature to sound superior compared to anything commercially available today.

However I do find some of the comments I get back about the songs on the Study-Videos of interest. For the most part those comments say that what the listener is hearing is preferred over the new and recent releases on vinyl or hi-res. This is typical when you master (or re-master) for music rather than sound. The commercial re-issues try to be true to the original, but if it's stuff I've recorded, since the mastering house doesn't have access to the playback matrix they can't resole the master anyway, so right off the bat they are doomed to strike out. If it's something other than my recording, I can still toy outside-of-the-box, not being hand-tied by contracts, producers or history. Case in point, listen to Friends via a recent release and Friends on the Study-Video. You tell me which you prefer. You see, mastering can be very playful with the music, if you let it ... and if you exercise mastering as an art-form rather than a science ... or perhaps I should say, you let the science support the art -- be an artisan, not an engineer.

Certainly I'm not in competition with anyone or any company making new re-issues available to the marketplace, nor do I wish to be. I think they are doing a service to the music industry by providing a re-energizing of classic originals. However, I do believe that for those few-in-number diehard fans that may enjoy a different perspective, the Study-Videos serve a purpose. 
~swd 

http://swdstudyvideos.com   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »

Certainly I'm not in competition with anyone or any company making new re-issues available to the marketplace, nor do I wish to be. I think they are doing a service to the music industry by providing a re-energizing of classic originals. However, I do believe that for those few-in-number diehard fans that may enjoy a different perspective, the Study-Videos serve a purpose.  [/size] ~swd 

Let's say your Study-Video of Friends converted me to that album after years of just not liking what I was hearing!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »

You see, mastering can be very playful with the music, if you let it ... and if you exercise mastering as an art-form rather than a science ... or perhaps I should say, you let the science support the art -- be an artisan, not an engineer.

This is exactly why I so wish you were around to master Pacific Ocean Blue.  I was so disappointed that Dennis had put so much of himself in to recording the album, and then completely relinquished the mastering to Stephen Moffitt.  Moffitt, (who was deeply involved with the T.M. side of the group divide), didn't little to hide his distain for Dennis by that time.  And the album would have had a whole different edge to it in your hands...

(Sorry to go off topic, but this really reached me - and ironically, today is the anniversary of P.O.B. being released on cd, in 1991)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 05:13:01 PM »

is back in circulation.
COMMENT:  I don't keep up with it very much. I downloaded some of the hi-res stuff and have one of the so-called modern made LP's. But frankly since I have mastering equipment in my listening studio / theater that can make any of the releases sound better than the original, why bother with other releases. Some of this equipment is of my own design and some is optimized (modified) professional equipment. I have sources for obtaining flat transfers, and of those I have heard it makes no sense to pine over any of the new releases when I can improve the sound, bring out every nuance, and generally shape the sonic signature to sound superior compared to anything commercially available today.

However I do find some of the comments I get back about the songs on the Study-Videos of interest. For the most part those comments say that what the listener is hearing is preferred over the new and recent releases on vinyl or hi-res. This is typical when you master (or re-master) for music rather than sound. The commercial re-issues try to be true to the original, but if it's stuff I've recorded, since the mastering house doesn't have access to the playback matrix they can't resole the master anyway, so right off the bat they are doomed to strike out. If it's something other than my recording, I can still toy outside-of-the-box, not being hand-tied by contracts, producers or history. Case in point, listen to Friends via a recent release and Friends on the Study-Video. You tell me which you prefer. You see, mastering can be very playful with the music, if you let it ... and if you exercise mastering as an art-form rather than a science ... or perhaps I should say, you let the science support the art -- be an artisan, not an engineer.

Certainly I'm not in competition with anyone or any company making new re-issues available to the marketplace, nor do I wish to be. I think they are doing a service to the music industry by providing a re-energizing of classic originals. However, I do believe that for those few-in-number diehard fans that may enjoy a different perspective, the Study-Videos serve a purpose. 
~swd 

But did you work on the 1972 PET SOUNDS remaster with Carl. Thanks.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 05:27:34 AM »

Did you work on the 1972 PET SOUNDS remaster with Carl. Thanks.
COMMENT to Petsite:  No. ~swd
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »

Thanks Stephen, your the best.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 12:42:13 PM »

Pet sounds 72 has a low pass filter on everything. Or something

Whatever it is ?? Its got some filter that cuts all the guts and the life out of it. However,it doe
s sound very 'clean'
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx