gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:01:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the most obscure BB song that could get prominent soundtrack placement?  (Read 8993 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:44:31 PM »

At some point in the future, could a song like Summer of Love ever (ironically, perhaps?) be placed prominently during a scene in a film? Or in a commercial? Yes I realize that tune was on Baywatch back in 1995, but let's just start this discussion starting with films/commercials from today and the future.

Same question for any other number of odd/obscure BB tunes.

I, for one, could hypothetically see a tune like All I Wanna Do being used in a commercial, or perhaps Match Point of Our Love being placed by a music supervisor in a Judd Apatow type comedy film during a tennis scene between a guy and a girl.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »

Life Is For The Living in a commercial for a gym or protein shake or something like that!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 02:15:25 AM »

"Solar System", in one of Professor Brian Cox's BBC-TV programmes about the universe. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:59 AM »

Slightly off-topic, as this is an example of a REAL use of Beach Boys stuff in a soundtrack... but of a more obscure and inappropriate usage I couldn't conceive!

In the early 2000s UK comedy film Calendar Girls (about a load of middle-aged ladies in a chintzy English village who make a nude calendar featuring themselves to raise money for a good cause), a few bars of the Stereo instrumental version of Sloop John B could be heard at some triumphant, punch-the-air moment in the film. I nearly fell out of my seat.

So: wrinkly ladies remove kit for calendar, in Miss Marple-style English village, all hollyhocks, sundials and neatly manicured privet hedges... and you illustrate this in sound using the instrumental version of a song originally about a fishing trip in the Caribbean that doesn't go well, sung by a bunch of sliced-bread 1960s Californians, and played by a load of US West Coast jazz musicians. MMMM-mmmm. Great fit, right there!

I guess the director must have just really, really liked Pet Sounds...?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 03:12:44 AM »

Slightly off-topic, as this is an example of a REAL use of Beach Boys stuff in a soundtrack... but of a more obscure and inappropriate usage I couldn't conceive!

In the early 2000s UK comedy film Calendar Girls (about a load of middle-aged ladies in a chintzy English village who make a nude calendar featuring themselves to raise money for a good cause), a few bars of the Stereo instrumental version of Sloop John B could be heard at some triumphant, punch-the-air moment in the film. I nearly fell out of my seat.

So: wrinkly ladies remove kit for calendar, in Miss Marple-style English village, all hollyhocks, sundials and neatly manicured privet hedges... and you illustrate this in sound using the instrumental version of a song originally about a fishing trip in the Caribbean that doesn't go well, sung by a bunch of sliced-bread 1960s Californians, and played by a load of US West Coast jazz musicians. MMMM-mmmm. Great fit, right there!

I guess the director must have just really, really liked Pet Sounds...?

Apparently, it's played just after the one-hour mark:

http://www.subzin.com/quotes/M20233be17/Calendar+Girls/%28%23+%22Sloop+John+B%22+-+instrumental+version%29

The film can be watched at YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPs6a_rEBk) and at http://www.vudu.com/movies/ but you have to pay...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:28:19 AM »

Same question for any other number of odd/obscure BB tunes.

Out of left field perhaps, but I can imagine a new Wes Anderson film being scored entirely with the Friends album.
(Note that he has already used Heroes and Villains in The Fantastic Mr Fox, to great effect.)

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »

'Louie Louie' would fit perfectly as an ongoing 'theme' for 'Dumb and Dumber 3'. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:53:17 AM »

There are countless dramas (and other genres) of TV shows that do the same thing, where they put an often somewhat somber, plaintive songs near the end of the episode, often as part of some sort of montage where the main character is contemplating something or feels down or is gearing up for some sort of inspirational thing. There are countless BB and BW songs that could be used for this sort of scenario, and the main factor in picking a track would be the production/sound quality of the song.

A track from BW '88 might be good thematically, but a blast of late 80s synths probably wouldn't fit.

It's also trendy on shows to use old tracks, sometimes as a sort of novelty or to make something sound creepier or something.

But I think they could use some old BB tracks from the 60s or 70s, and/or have some modern indie artist re-record them. Another largely untapped element of the BBs that a good GROUP MANAGER would have been working on for some time now.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »

Darlin' on Big Bang Theory means anything is possible.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »

And I would guess that was entirely born from the mind of someone writing on that show, or the showrunner, or something like that.

The BBs could get even more visibility along those lines if they had someone shopping deeper cuts to TV and film.

I remember someone pointing out a few years ago that, while not the most substantive song of all time, "Spring Vacation" could have easily been placed in a movie or movie trailer (a whole separate type of song visibility) back in 2012 as extra cross promotion.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »

And I would guess that was entirely born from the mind of someone writing on that show, or the showrunner, or something like that.

The BBs could get even more visibility along those lines if they had someone shopping deeper cuts to TV and film.

I remember someone pointing out a few years ago that, while not the most substantive song of all time, "Spring Vacation" could have easily been placed in a movie or movie trailer (a whole separate type of song visibility) back in 2012 as extra cross promotion.
True, and it does have an impact. Cameron Crowe's placement of Feel Flows in, I want to say, Almost Famous?, really hit me when I was in the theatre. It went into my playlist on a much more regular basis after hearing it in the film.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »

It would be fascinating and hilarious if for some reason, a reissue of the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High couldn't get clearance to use Jackson Browne's song "Somebody's Baby" during the love scene with Jennifer Jason Leigh... and the song was replaced by the chorus for the song "Looking Back With Love".

The songs' choruses sound so similar, I would bet that there'd be some viewers who would think something was "off", but probably couldn't really place what was different in the scene.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

Even if you didn't watch "Mad Men," you may know about this scene from being Brian/Beach Boys nuts, but this was a great use of a BB track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWlKCfSPcU
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »

True, and it does have an impact. Cameron Crowe's placement of Feel Flows in, I want to say, Almost Famous?, really hit me when I was in the theatre. It went into my playlist on a much more regular basis after hearing it in the film.

"Feel Flows" in Almost Famous was very effective.  I was unfamiliar with the group's 70s output when I heard that and I remember around the same time also hearing "Sail On Sailor" in The Departed peaking my interest in the group when I wasn't quite a huge fan yet.  Both songs sounded so unlike anything I had heard from the Beach Boys before.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »

Long Promised Road.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 12:50:14 AM »

I could definitely see Diamond Head being used in a movie.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »

Out of left field perhaps, but I can imagine a new Wes Anderson film being scored entirely with the Friends album.
(Note that he has already used Heroes and Villains in The Fantastic Mr Fox, to great effect.)

Old Man River was used in the same film, which is pretty damn obscure.
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »

God Only Knows was used wonderfully in the montage near the end of Boogie Nights-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbh2HtJQ4k
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 06:32:17 AM »

Old Man River was used in the same film, which is pretty damn obscure.

It combined the Endless Harmony/1970s take with the Friends-20/20/1960's version, which sounds great when actually put together (like I did).
Mr Big
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »

I could definitely see songs from the Smile album used in a film. Child is the Father of the Man would be pretty sweet.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 12:07:03 PM »

I think Slip On Through from Sunflower would work for the right t.v. show or movie.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »

Hey Little Tomboy might work in a horror movie about a pedaphile.....I'm sorry

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »

Life Is For The Living in a commercial for a gym or protein shake or something like that!!

Haha, I can see this, easily.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »

Haha, I can see this, easily.

I couldn't believe it when I heard Love and Mercy on The Walking Dead.  Anything is possible!
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »

Not Beach Boys but Brian solo..."Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight" from his 1988 self-titled album.....It could at least overtake Katrina and the Waves' "Walking On Sunshine" or New Radicals "Get What You Give". Smiley Wink

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx