gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:28:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Chips Moman  (Read 1493 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:01:29 AM »

The great Chips Moman has passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC3AXQ8dPJM

James Carr - The Dark End of the Street

Music titan ‘Chips’ Moman is dead at 79

http://www.commercialappeal.com/entertainment/music/music-titan-chips-moman-is-dead-at-79-35315a2e-5feb-5bbe-e053-0100007f82f0-382850711.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:15:35 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »

Very sad. I see Chips was involved in The Mar-Keys' "Last Night", one of my early favourites. Love that organ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5T9GvSnbY

Rest in peace, sir. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

Very sad. I see Chips was involved in The Mar-Keys' "Last Night", one of my early favourites. Love that organ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5T9GvSnbY

Rest in peace, sir.  

People don't realize how many hits Chips was involved in (not only as producer but as songwriter, session musician). He worked at/for Stax in their beginning, had his own American Studios of course which produced uncountable hits and afterwards he went to Nashville to produce hit after hit as well. Willie Nelson's "Always on my mind", Waylon Jennings' "Luckenbach, Texas", B. J. Thomas' "Somebody done somebody wrong song" (which he co-wrote)....
He produced the first two Highwaymen albums, a couple of Willie Nelson solo albums, the Clas Of '55 album and lots of other stuff. I don't think there are many people who have had as many hits as Chips Moman.

EDIT:

Here's an 2012 interview:

Chips Moman: The Cream Interview

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2012/08/17/chips-moman-the-cream-interview

and from 2008:

LaGrange Native Chips Moman Talks About His Life in Music

http://www.georgiamusic.info/2008/11/lagrange-native-chips-moman-talks-about.html

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:51:26 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »

People don't realize how many hits Chips was involved in (not only as producer but as songwriter, session musician). He worked at/for Stax in their beginning, had his own American Studios of course which produced uncountable hits and afterwards he went to Nashville to produce hit after hit as well. Willie Nelson's "Always on my mind", Waylon Jennings' "Luckenbach, Texas", B. J. Thomas' "Somebody done somebody wrong song" (which he co-wrote)....
He produced the first two Highwaymen albums, a couple of Willie Nelson solo albums, the Clas Of '55 album and lots of other stuff. I don't think there are many people who have had as many hits as Chips Moman.

EDIT:

Here's an 2012 interview:

Chips Moman: The Cream Interview

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2012/08/17/chips-moman-the-cream-interview

and from 2008:

LaGrange Native Chips Moman Talks About His Life in Music

http://www.georgiamusic.info/2008/11/lagrange-native-chips-moman-talks-about.html

Thanks for those two fascinating interviews. What a career he had!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »

Sad news.  Another Great Man is gone.  He had a good long life though.  I don't remember when I first understood just who he was, probably the late 60's.  But I had been listening to music he was involved in since I was a kid.  His name is on a lot of record jackets.   Like Rocker is saying, Stax, American Sound Studios, and the Nashville stuff.  Stax was known for Soul, but was also the label that gave Delaney and Bonnie their first exposure.  He was so much of what was good in Memphis.  Rocker is being modest by not mentioning his involvement in Elvis' career.  He knows all about that.  Razz

American Sound Studios and The Memphis Boys, the studio's House Band, will live on in my heart, then and forever.  "Cry Like a Baby" (February 1968) was recorded there, with the great Reggie Young on electric sitar.  Another big one for me, recorded in January 1968, "Angel of the Morning" - Merrilee Rush & The Turnabouts, nope, it was the House Band on the single and the album.  We know about this now, but didn't back then.  It was like the Wrecking Crew, always on the records, never in the liner notes.  Bobby Womack got his start there as a session musician.  Dusty became a major star in America after recording "Son of A Preacher Man" there.

off-topic note:  I saw P.R. and The Raiders several times in the 60's, one of those times was on a package tour that featured the Raiders, and had The Turnarounds as one of the opening acts.  That was the first time I heard "Angel of the Morning," it wasn't a hit yet, or she might have gotten billing over the Raiders.  As many of you know, I am from Monroe, Louisiana, not far from Memphis.  Both Merrilee and The Raiders were recording at American Sound in early 1968.  There wasn't much left of the Raiders.  Goin' to Memphis, the album they were recording, was basically Mark Lindsey's band now.  They were still a really good live show, playing the old hits, but hardly the Garage band they had been.  After "Let Me!" I wasn't paying attention any longer.

Thank You Chips, for all the good times. -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »

Sad news. From Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis are among the greatest Elvis Presley recordings.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »

Sad news.  Another Great Man is gone.  He had a good long life though.  I don't remember when I first understood just who he was, probably the late 60's.  But I had been listening to music he was involved in since I was a kid.  His name is on a lot of record jackets.   Like Rocker is saying, Stax, American Sound Studios, and the Nashville stuff.  Stax was known for Soul, but was also the label that gave Delaney and Bonnie their first exposure.  He was so much of what was good in Memphis.  Rocker is being modest by not mentioning his involvement in Elvis' career.  He knows all about that.  Razz

Yeah, of course Elvis' recordings with Chips are great. I just have a feeling that there's a tendency to overemphasize them in disadvantage of each's other work. The Presley recordings certainly are a highlight, yet both Presley and Moman did other stuff that's just as good imo.

Anyway here's a mournful tune from those sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54iD9Dqy1Xo

Did anybody read this book? I haven't yet but I think I need to.

https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-Boys-Story-American-Studios/dp/1617031992?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx