gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:31:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 251758 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2017, 11:54:51 AM »

To quote the Sheriff at PSF: "'Surf's Up' vs. 'A Day In The Life' would be a very interesting poll on a Beatles' forum."

It would be more surreal (and quite frankly more fun) to compare "ADITL" with "ADITLOAT". LOL
Noted. I'll do that next on PSF Grin

John, John, please.  Just what Watamushi doesn't need - more thread ideas.  Now The Beatles are trouncing The Beach Boys on a Beach Boys message board.
I did vote.  Wish we could get a super duper box for Surf's Up like the one I'm fixing to get for Pepper's.  I was going to pass, and try to buy the Blu-ray
disc from one of the many at SHF saying they didn't want that bit in the box... then I noticed the lenticular cover.  Sold.

I love the one Rhino did for The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees box.  Have you seen that?  I would have bought that box anyway, but the lenticular cover
is a fantastic extra.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »

John, John, please.  Just what Watamushi doesn't need - more thread ideas.  Now The Beatles are trouncing The Beach Boys on a Beach Boys message board.
What began as a wry comment is now a nightmarish reality! I shall keep remarks like that to myself in future.Thud

I love the one Rhino did for The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees box.  Have you seen that?  I would have bought that box anyway, but the lenticular cover
is a fantastic extra.

This one? Very cool!

By the way, Will, I've resurrected the Dark Shadows topics at the Freeforums board on the off-chance that you're familiar with it...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:21:33 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »

Yes.  I have one of those, and a couple other Monkees boxes.  I'm a huge Michael Nesmith fan.  Some of his best work was left as outtakes.
Now it's all out in the open.  The 2-disc Deluxe versions are good enough for their first two albums, but once Michael started his trips  off to
Nashville, and the many sessions he did without many or no other Monkees present, not much of it was released.  I find they were all talented,
but Michael was the most.  It's funny, I didn't even care for them in the 60's.  They were something you heard playing in the "younger sister's"
bedrooms of your friends, as we were playing Revolver in the den.  I got into Nesmith when he released his solo records starting in 1970.

The lenticular cover is not given justice by a photo.  In hand, it has real depth.  Check the used shops, maybe some of them found there way to
your area.  Think they must be out of print by now.

Dark Shadows question.  Well, I did watch that after school, but don't know what I could add to a discussion these days.  I know the show has a
cult following.  I didn't follow after the show ran it's course.  One of the threads I was looking at the other day was the Nagen/Walking Dead - oh
my.  I liked that actor when he was on The Good Wife.  Though I had never watched more than an episode or two, decided I would check out the
first episode of the new season.  I love fantasy shows like Grimm (now sadly cancelled) and Supernatural, but Nagen didn't get a second chance at
my free time.  Are you guys laughing at it, or along with it?  Too real for me!  The video clips?  Are those from the show or made up by a fan?  I didn't
know how to comment after watching a couple of them.  Pain seems to be popular with the younger crowd.  And shots and whacks to the head.  Think
they might be too into video games.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:46:09 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2017, 01:31:28 AM »

2 the OP: Tell about the 1st show & did you attend festivals like Monterey, Woodstock, Altamont?

I'm the OP but I assume you mean Will. I've never been in the States. Or attended any festivals...

I'd imagine that Monterey would have made an even better documentary than Woodstock.

But if you do mean me (and if my memory serves me well), my first full-scale pop event was in 1972 when I attended Free's farewell concert in London's Albert Hall. Later that year I saw Beefheart there (from the middle seat of the front row of the balcony!) in what is certainly my all-time favourite concert----astonishing!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »

Dark Shadows question.  Well, I did watch that after school, but don't know what I could add to a discussion these days.  I know the show has a cult following.  I didn't follow after the show ran it's course.  One of the threads I was looking at the other day was the Nagen/Walking Dead - oh my.  I liked that actor when he was on The Good Wife.  Though I had never watched more than an episode or two, decided I would check out the first episode of the new season.  I love fantasy shows like Grimm (now sadly cancelled) and Supernatural, but Nagen didn't get a second chance at my free time.  Are you guys laughing at it, or along with it?  Too real for me!  The video clips?  Are those from the show or made up by a fan?  I didn't know how to comment after watching a couple of them.  Pain seems to be popular with the younger crowd.  And shots and whacks to the head.  Think they might be too into video games.

Re DS: Great to know you watched it at the time. That's really what I was getting at. Don't worry about discussions----although there might be one over there now that The Walking Dead has stopped for a while.

As for TWD, we're definitely laughing along with it (he's called Negan, by the way). And yes, those are mainly fan vids. Much of it is over my head as I read the blog but don't watch the series. Even if you didn't have to pay for it over here, I don't think I'd watch----a little too much blood for my frail constitution. Anyway, we in Europe have our own Walking Dead to contend with right now.

Dark Shadows is more subtle----and it was doing things at the time that had never been done before...   

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2017, 10:56:18 AM »

I watched Dark Shadows after school as well. Missed the first few episodes. First one I remember seeing was right before that Collins guy got into a car accident (thanks to his son). Remember the guy never being without a brandy in his hand. Must have had a cast iron liver LOL.
Then later, when Barnabas came on the scene, wow. Sure I'm not the only gal who had a crush on him.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2017, 03:45:44 AM »

I watched Dark Shadows after school as well. Missed the first few episodes. First one I remember seeing was right before that Collins guy got into a car accident (thanks to his son). Remember the guy never being without a brandy in his hand. Must have had a cast iron liver LOL.
Then later, when Barnabas came on the scene, wow. Sure I'm not the only gal who had a crush on him.

Another watcher at the time! It's Roger Collins (Louis Edmonds), here in characteristic pose:   

Barnabas (Jonathan Frid) must be one of the most unlikely heart-throbs ever!

What a series. May they both rest in peace.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2017, 04:17:38 AM »

Thanks. Needed the day brightener!

Smiley

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »

To quote the Sheriff at PSF: "'Surf's Up' vs. 'A Day In The Life' would be a very interesting poll on a Beatles' forum."

It would be more surreal (and quite frankly more fun) to compare "ADITL" with "ADITLOAT". LOL

Eek! Just when my cred at Smiley seems to be on the rise, down it plummets at PSF. Such is life...

http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/1401/bots-31-day-life-tree?

Still, it's alway heartwarming to get a namecheck there :=) 

Oh my, worse than I thought it would be.  Beatles=18, Beach Boys=3

Maybe Watamushi shouldn't do that again.  No telling what might happen.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »

Eek! Just when my cred at Smiley seems to be on the rise, down it plummets at PSF. Such is life...

http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/1401/bots-31-day-life-tree?

Still, it's alway heartwarming to get a namecheck there :=) 

Oh my, worse than I thought it would be.  Beatles=18, Beach Boys=3

Maybe Watamushi shouldn't do that again.  No telling what might happen.

It couldn't possibly get any worse than 18-3 down! Could it? You're right----it could.

More to the point, what do I think of the Velvet Underground? Well, I love their first two albums (got 'em both), I like their third (used to have it) and I like one track from their fourth ("Sweet Jane").   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2017, 03:27:38 AM »

"Sweet Jane" is coolest VU song. Not "Sister Ray" like everybody claims. Though it's groovy bits here & there. I like what Doug Yule brought to the band too by singing-playing. Squeeze isn't bad; favorite track "Dopey Joe" and wow, forgot "Louise"!

I wouldn't claim "SR" as the VU's coolest track. Everything on their debut album is pretty stunning----including the closer, although I'm probably in a minority for thinking that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igWyYA_r06Y

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »

Folks, if you're quick (it's now 21:50 CET), you can hear tracks from Smile here:

http://franceinter.radio.es/

With thanks to Silken and the PSF shoutbox. Grin

Edit: It stopped at the hour but it was very cool while it lasted...

As it happens, I first heard "Little Deuce Coupe" on French radio back in 1963 and was bowled over by the chord change at the word "Coupe". Vive la France!  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:14:06 AM by JK » Logged

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »

Dark Shadows is my fav TV series ever, "by a landslide". And Barnabas was sure a part of that. Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »

I gave advice. F.ex. you live in Netherlands, speak Dutch for many years. You're native. Then, say, Lowbacca lives in Germany & speaks German many years. Then there is Rocker, the other poster from Germany. Do they talk together in German, that everybody must ask them what it means? Exactly. They talk English, it's international language. It's just showing respect to the fellow posters. Hopefully, you will take this fair advice & don't repeat that stuff.

Now why, oh why, did I just know that that one simple sentence, twelve guileless Dutch words innocently strung together, would precipitate a minor riot in RangeRoverland?

I recall another ex-pat and I exchanging sentences in Dutch on the now-defunct Capitol Board and no one raised an eyebrow. Maar ik denk niet... I mean, I don't think I'll be doing it again. Unless I'm ripped to the giddy tits, of course. Grin
JK, I wonder at your wonder. By now, you should well know that using anything but the Language of the Fathers is universally frowned upon. angel
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:03:55 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »

I gave advice. F.ex. you live in Netherlands, speak Dutch for many years. You're native. Then, say, Lowbacca lives in Germany & speaks German many years. Then there is Rocker, the other poster from Germany. Do they talk together in German, that everybody must ask them what it means? Exactly. They talk English, it's international language. It's just showing respect to the fellow posters. Hopefully, you will take this fair advice & don't repeat that stuff.

Now why, oh why, did I just know that that one simple sentence, twelve guileless Dutch words innocently strung together, would precipitate a minor riot in RangeRoverland?

I recall another ex-pat and I exchanging sentences in Dutch on the now-defunct Capitol Board and no one raised an eyebrow. Maar ik denk niet... I mean, I don't think I'll be doing it again. Unless I'm ripped to the giddy tits, of course. Grin
JK, I wonder at your wonder. By now, you should well know that using anything but the Language of the Fathers is universally frowned upon. angel

Yes, I'm extraordinarily sorry I ever contempleted going down that particular road. Never again! LOL

Well... one exception might be to wish other posters Happy Birthday in the Language of Their Fathers. Although celebrating birthdays seemed to be universally frowned upon as well. Grin

Great to hear you're a fan of Dark Shadows, T. :=)     

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »

"Language of the Father's" - what is that? Our Fathers and Mothers spoke various types of German, French, Latin etc which eventually morphed into English.

I appreciate Mari (RangeRoverA1) wanting English only as she is doing a wonderful job learning that crazy language.

But I'd love to be able to see Happy Birthday in various languages.

Speaking of language, and as this is the Welcome thread, how do people in other countries say Hello or Welcome? As in colloquial ways of saying it.
The funniest is when I go to restaurants or other places with service people.
The best greeting from a guy was when I went to a coffee shop in the French Quarter back in the 70s. He came to me and said, "And how the hell are you?" He said it good naturedly and I took it in stride.
With women I've been called Honey, Dawlin' (Darling), Hawt (Heart), Sweetie, Sweet Mama, Precious, and even My Love  Cheesy
Yesterday, at a book shop, the lady said, "How are you doing, Sweet Pea?"

Maybe it's just a "Southern Thang" or also in small town America. Don't know if they'd do it in New York.
Interested in any Terms of Endearment elsewhere.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 28, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »

In Greece, at shops or wherever: Moro mou, agape mou - my baby, my love.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »

Wow. My modest "other board" just broke its previous record for guests----80 just a few minutes ago! Banana

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:59 PM »

"Sweet Jane" is coolest VU song. Not "Sister Ray" like everybody claims. Though it's groovy bits here & there. I like what Doug Yule brought to the band too by singing-playing. Squeeze isn't bad; favorite track "Dopey Joe" and wow, forgot "Louise"!

I wouldn't claim "SR" as the VU's coolest track. Everything on their debut album is pretty stunning----including the closer, although I'm probably in a minority for thinking that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igWyYA_r06Y

I wouldn't put "Sister Ray" in their top dozen tracks, actually. Maybe not even the top two dozen. I don't think "everybody" claims it, either, though it certainly has its fans. Personally, my VU is the rock and roll / pop band that has some experimental aspects, not the experimental band that occasionally has some rock and roll / pop aspects. I think their best moments are the musically accessible ones: Sunday Morning, Waiting For My Man, Beginning to See the Light, Sweet Jane, New Age, Pale Blue Eyes, Jesus, Femme Fatale, Stephanie Says, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 03, 2017, 04:43:07 AM »

Interested in any Terms of Endearment elsewhere.

I found this online (and adapted it slightly) but it sounds about right to me.

The Dutch use "little fart" as a term of endearment. Yes they do.

It takes two forms: scheetje for a child or pet and poepje (or poepie) for the one you love.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 03, 2017, 05:49:12 AM »

Everybody/everyone is figure of speech. I read here & various blogs to the "best/ coolest VU track" they usually answer "Sister Ray".

I think those people are lying!

Ok that's partly a joke. But partly not. I honestly think some people choose to praise "difficult " songs or bands just to seem like they're deep, smart, or somehow cooler than "mere" pop fans.

Then again I love Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa, so maybe I'm not to be trusted.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2017, 07:18:15 AM »

I honestly think some people choose to praise "difficult " songs or bands just to seem like they're deep, smart, or somehow cooler than "mere" pop fans.

It's a bit like in the mid '60s when it was considered cool to speak of Jim Proby instead of P.J..

There's also the "parrot factor" to be considered.

Still, in some ways (okay, two ways) I'm just as untrustworthy as you are. LOL 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2017, 06:30:22 AM »

Freddie has evidently moved on but his legacy is still here to enjoy:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14121.msg312233.html#msg312233

These are priceless! Go well, sir. :=)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »

Who does the young football fan in blue remind you of (at 0:29 in the video below "Gemist")?

https://dewerelddraaitdoor.vara.nl/media/373171

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »

In a just world, the "Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow)" thread would go on and on and never stop. Smiley was made for that topic...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx