gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:11:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kris Kristofferson turns 80  (Read 4020 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »

And tomorrow a new boxset will be released!

Kris Kristofferson: An Outlaw at 80

Country legend has faced memory loss and the death of old friends, and has also found peace – just don’t try to tell him what to do

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/kris-kristofferson-an-outlaw-at-80-20160606

The new boxset:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Monument-Columbia-Album-Collection/dp/B01CL35MZG?ie=UTF8&keywords=Kris%20Kristofferson&qid=1465499535&ref_=sr_1_1&s=music&sr=1-1

And the new album "The Cedar Creek Sessions":

http://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Creek-Sessions-Kris-Kristofferson/dp/B01F7N2MH8?ie=UTF8&keywords=Kris%20Kristofferson&qid=1465499535&ref_=sr_1_2&s=music&sr=1-2

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:30:35 PM »

Great interview there. Thanks, Rocker.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »

Happy birthday Kris Kristofferson!

Artbound Presents Studio A: Kris Kristofferson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9q23O10sfQ

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »

“A Slow Slipping Away”— Kris Kristofferson’s Long-Undiagnosed Battle with Lyme Disease

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-slow-slipping-away-kris-kristoffersons-long_us_577c047be4b00a3ae4ce6609

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »

Picked up "Easter Island" in the bargain bin today and his voice really reminds me of Dennis Wilson from that same time period (1977/78) in places.

Was recorded at Sunset Sound LA and produced by David Anderle.

Studio wasn't too far away from Santa Monica I think? Kris and Dennis seem like they could have been friends...though I think Kris had just given up drinking around that time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:32:29 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 04:00:07 PM »

This thread is interesting for reading about how Lyme Disease can be mistaken for Alzheimer's!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 03:52:32 AM »

Picked up "Easter Island" in the bargain bin today and his voice really reminds me of Dennis Wilson from that same time period (1977/78) in places.

Was recorded at Sunset Sound LA and produced by David Anderle.

Studio wasn't too far away from Santa Monica I think? Kris and Dennis seem like they could have been friends...though I think Kris had just given up drinking around that time.

The "loneliness is a very special place to forget something that I've never done" part in "Thoughts of you" totally sounds like a Kristofferson lyric to me. And yes, both their voices had a certain touch. Kristofferson doing "Forever" is on my fantasy Stars&Stripes version.

- Jack Rieley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »

Kristofferson doing "Forever" is on my fantasy Stars&Stripes version.

That's sounds like a good idea for a new thread or has it been done already?

I was watching the Beach Boys on David Letterman performance of little deuce coupe with some country guy recently and thought it was awful.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 01:37:47 PM »

Kristofferson doing "Forever" is on my fantasy Stars&Stripes version.

That's sounds like a good idea for a new thread or has it been done already?

I was watching the Beach Boys on David Letterman performance of little deuce coupe with some country guy recently and thought it was awful.

Well, I mention it annoyingly often when I get the chance  Grin

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12521.msg635016.html#msg635016

- Jack Rieley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 04:08:58 AM »

Nice choices, here's an album off the top of my head..

Ralph Stanley - A Day in the Life of a Tree
Steve Earle - Help me Rhonda
Jerry Jeff Walker - Time to get Alone
Bobbie Gentry - Darlin'
Kris Kristofferson - The Lonely Sea
Willie Nelson - The Warmth of the Sun
Dwight Yoakam - I Get Around
John Hartford - Vegatables
Glen Campbell - Wouldn't it be Nice
Emmylou Harris - You still believe in me
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:12:57 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »

Ralph Stanley - A Day in the Life of a Tree

What a great idea! I'd imagine it being accompanied only by banjo and guitar or something similar spare. Oh yes, that voice to that song  Rock!
And Emmylou Harris is always fantastic. Her on "You still believe in me" would certainly have been a knockout. Or maybe the Trio of her, Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt (the latter sometimes replaced by someone else like Sheryl Crow or Trisha Yearwood). A three part harmony arrangement to that song would be lovely.

I believe a duett by maybe George Jones & Tammy Wynette on "Let's put our hearts together" (or another act) could also sound beautiful.

I think one of the problems was that you probably couldn't use the Beach Boys themselves on a lot of the tracks if done the proposed way. Their thick harmonies wouldn't fit very well with the stripped down sound. So either you'd have to come up with new arrangements that would be better suited or you just leave the Boys off, ecept for an appearance here and there when it's fitting. And you probably couldn't keep Brian as the producer. It's just natural that he gets close to the original records, since that's the way he wanted the songs to sound. Don Was certainly would've been a great choice.
Thinking about this fantasy album really gets me excited! So much was possible
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:27:49 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 01:58:20 AM »

Yeah, tbh I don't think country music and the Beach Boys are a great fit overall and it's possibly more interesting if you take the boys out of the picture and just allow the artists to make their own interpretations. Though you could certainly have the BB's harmonies on maybe half of the songs.

Don Was is a good shout..also T Bone Burnett or maybe Rick Rubin.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:03:47 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx