gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dave Bartholomew RIP  (Read 1947 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »

Just received word that Rock and Roll pioneer Dave Bartholomew has died at the age of 100.
Yes he lived a long life but this still hurts. 2019 has been a horrible year for my city, particularly this past month or so. We've lost several musicians of note, an iconic chef, and a couple of local writers . Hopefully they are having a big ole party up yonder.

(Info courtesy Dominic Massa, WWL TV)
Bartholomew was a trumpeter, band leader, producer, songwriter and arranger.
He's a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
He started working with Fats Domino in the late 40s and in 1949 produced the hit "The Fat Man" (considered by some to be if not the earliest, one of the first "rock and roll" records).
He continued working with Domino, co writing hits such as Ain 't That a Shame, Blue Monday, Walking to New Orleans, Let the Four Winds Blow, plus other songs. He produced and arranged Blueberry Hill.
It was said that he was a stabilizing influence on Domino, helping him remain focused during recording sessions .
He also produced for a number of other local musicians.

Trivia: In 1952 he wrote the song My Ding-a-Ling, which became a big hit later on for Chuck Berry.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »

Sad news, but yes, a long life! RIP, sir. I'll raise a toast to that big ole party.

This may be DB's finest hour (it's certainly Fats's):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKm0qMREToM

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »

Oh no! He was a legend! R. I. P.   Cry

Here's footage of Dave and Fats reuniting in 2010:

New Orleans Airwaves: Fats Domino & Dave Bartholomew (2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4szohPhlN0

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »

Wonderful video of the two of them.
Kudos to Eric Paulsen for bringing them together. Paulsen was good friends with Fats Domino and his family in Domino's later years.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »

I have a VHS of a concert from 1985 where Fats and Dave are reunited. Rick Nelson was on that tour, too.

Saw footage of Dave from a few years ago, and he was in good shape - not a broken down 90-something, pretty amazing and long life he lead.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx