gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1970 Paris footage Everyone has to see this!!  (Read 6065 times)
MBE
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:23:23 AM »

http://www.ina.fr/archivespourtous/index.php?full=beach+boys&action=ft&x=4&y=5

By the way if you have an IE window, copy the url shown at the bottom of the screan while you watch and then you can have your own copy . You have to write it as it won't paste. Coolest thing I have seen in years!!

There is another clip on this site that has Lennon and he sings a part of Dylan's George Jackson!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:29:33 AM by MBE » Logged
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:21:16 PM »

YES!

Very cool! The france overdubs was annoying, but man is it cool to see some bb performances from 1970!!
it looks very intimate, there is no stage, just the floor.

Why are there no replies to this thread!?

thank you very much for the link!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 02:01:51 PM by Rockard » Logged
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »

I tried to view it but i dont like quicktime.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:26:47 PM »

Awesome footage !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 01:28:44 PM »

I think a lot of us picked up this link last week on the BBB board. I know I was freakin' out and calling everyone I know about it. This could be some of the coolest BB's footage ever. I'd rate the performance as less than one of their best from the period, but man, to have crystal clear footage with live sound from 1970 is like a holy grail. I suppose everyone noticed Ed Carter on bass and Mike Kowalski on percussion too. Absolutely unreal that this showed up in 2006. Makes you wonder what else is out there.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:18:48 PM »

This is a great find...thank you

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:09:41 PM »

This is so frickin' amazing... thanks for sharing!

By the way if you have an IE window, copy the url shown at the bottom of the screan while you watch and then you can have your own copy . You have to write it as it won't paste. Coolest thing I have seen in years!!

Do you think you could type out the URL here?  I can't find the URL on the page, and I can't seem to find anything in the source code to copy and paste.  Maybe its because I'm on a mac?

mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 06:59:03 PM »

So "Country Air", "Cotton Fields", "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" and "It's About Time" - what else might have been played at this show?  Be great if the whole thing surfaced.  Crack band behind the group on this!
MBE
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 09:10:04 PM »

Picassosson, they keep changin the url but PM me and I can tell you the current one. I don't know how to download it with a mac.
 Jon I think the monitors must have been a little bit off on Country Air and WIBN but the other songs sound good. Too bad Forever didn't get on here but seeing Dennis drum on It's About Time is amazing.
Glad everyone liked this!
mistermono As far as what else was played, check Eric's Beach Boys setlist site, that will give you an idea.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 09:38:28 PM »

It's actually on youtube now, too.  Check out the youtube topic under "Beach Boys Media".
XY
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 11:14:15 PM »

According to the person who posted the link on BBB, the complete show (Gaumont Palace, Paris - 12/08/70) was filmed an still exists. And there's another complete show in the vaults of French TV - Olympia, Paris, 06/16/1969. They also have footage of the Unicef Gala Concert from 12/15/1967 with some Beatles and the Maharishi in the audience.
Now it would be interesting to know if some multitrack tapes of the Paris shows survived.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 11:32:12 PM »

Sweet. All this stuff is good.

Nice find. Great info.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »

If you follow the link and search on Pop 2 or Pop Deux there are links to two more shows, one of which has unbelievable footage of the Cale/Reed/Nico reunion from Paris in 1972.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »

dennis wilson calling mike love santa claus is hilarious. beautiful stuff.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »

"Al and I were living together for a few weeks.. and we still are." hahahahahaha LOL

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 09:30:44 PM »

I don't know if any of you guys speak French, but I do. The host who introduces the footage at the beginning is very negative about what's about to follow : he says that the show proved that the BB hadn't evolved, aside from a few gadgets meant to "convince a minority that their music is actually relevant". He also says that there were a lot of empty seats, and that there is no need for the kids watching to make fun of the BB, since "your parents wouldn't understand anyway". He even says that "it shows how much pop music has evolved in the past 5 years that even an important band like the BB have been left behind".

Wow, it's not the kind of stuff you'd hear on MTV today. Brutally honest, even though the guy is way off.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 01:12:16 AM »

though i love the footage, i can clearly see where that guy's coming from. the boys' performance sure is not nearly as great and stunning as later performances were going to be (just think of 'in concert' or the fun, fun, fun snippet from probably '73 in the endless harmony doc) and the bb doing riot in cell block #9 is... well, just a tad bit obvious perhaps.
still, rock could have used a little humor at that time i suppose...
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 01:20:58 AM »

Well, in my eyes the Beach Boys went astray as soon as they stopped letting Brian command their every movement. If they had played Brian's "experimental" music then we would have a very different music history concerning the BBoys.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 01:26:02 AM »

Brutally honest, even though the guy is way off.

The guy is way off because, when he recorded this show, he had just learnt that the TV channel he was working for had decided to get rid of him...  Grin Which was probably a smart move from the channel. I can't bear this guy's voice!

He talks about his leaving the show for about 2 minutes, saying that "he's being fired for reasons he doesn't want to reveal".

By the way, thanks for the footage! The interview is great, and even though the band's performance is quite bad, its sound quality is unbelievable.  Shocked The guys at INA did a great job restoring this tape.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 01:16:30 AM »

I wouldn't say they were bad at all. I like Riot but I know a lot of people don't. Hearts was pretty good to and It's about Time and Cottenfields really kicked. Dennis and Mike were funny as usual
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 06:57:46 AM »

Just Great!!!

Thanks.

Wish there was a way to get the whole show or shows copied to a DVD.  There must be a way but I don't know how.

Now if someone with the expertise could accomplish this and share it with others................

As someone said, makes you wonder what else is still out there unreleased.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 07:25:10 AM »

I haven't been here in a few days, and the original link is no longer working.  Is it still on YouTube?  Anyone have a direct link so I don't have to search through umpteen million clips?  Thanks!

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 07:30:09 AM »

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uehyh57k2_E

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7lsV6i4V4&search=beach%20boys

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 08:35:33 AM »

Thanks!  I love how Carl, without a microphone nearby, sounds exactly like Al Jardine on "Cottonfields"!   Roll Eyes

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
sailonsailor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 11:44:15 AM »

I love the part where Carl or Dennis is talking about how they were mischaracterized as a surf/hot rod and 'ol Mike is just sitting over there looking mighty uncomfortable..
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx