gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:48:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Still Cruisin'
5 - 5 (4.8%)
4 - 17 (16.3%)
3 - 30 (28.8%)
2 - 25 (24%)
1 - 22 (21.2%)
0 - 5 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin'  (Read 80767 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2016, 12:29:50 AM »

Played this again tonight, and I still think the new songs were strong. Kokomo is over-familiar now, but it was a good, commercial sounding track. According to Carl, Capitol only wanted 3 new songs, the compromise was 5. Sheesh, that's the best deal they could get? Peaked at #40-something in Billboard, yet somehow got a gold record. Everyone involved blew the chance for the band to have a real strong comeback record. And yes, I blame Dr. Landy as much as anyone. He wanted to limit Brian's contact with the band. He was writing great stuff again, put 3 or 4 of Brian's songs on the album and you'd have a winner!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2016, 01:04:26 AM »

always skip the early songs just to hear the new songs.  They could have easily put on 'RRTTR', 'California dreamin', and even a couple of
80's live recordings of their hits would have been better than rehashing the old stuff to make a new 'official' album.  A wasted opportunity for a
great album.  A couple of Brian songs and a Bruce tune could have made this a Great album in their legacy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2016, 10:57:47 PM »

always skip the early songs just to hear the new songs.  They could have easily put on 'RRTTR', 'California dreamin', and even a couple of
80's live recordings of their hits would have been better than rehashing the old stuff to make a new 'official' album.  A wasted opportunity for a
great album.  A couple of Brian songs and a Bruce tune could have made this a Great album in their legacy.
I used to have that Sunkist album with the live Runaway; that should see proper release someday. Even though R&R Rescue and C Dreamin' were already on an album, it would have made more sense to include them, or Happy Endings, that the billionth reissue of the 60's stuff. If teens (and younger) got turned on to the group by Kokomo, they could have easily dropped down to the record store (remember those?) and picked up a copy of Made in USA, Endless Summer, or whatever else was available at that time.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2016, 06:53:35 AM »

It still frustrates that STILL CRUSIN' couldn't have wrapped things up with a trio of tunes like "Chasin' the Sky", "Let's Go to Heaven in My Car", and maybe "The Spirit of Rock & Roll." "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move" would have been OK as well.

If so, we'd be looking back on a better album, easily superior to something like THE BEACH BOYS 85.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »

I'm glad that super-boring "Chasin' the sky" & "Spirit of rock & roll" didn't make it to the album.

I would much prefer those songs plus It's A Beautiful Day in place with the last three songs.  Then you got one nice albums with songs that were almost imposible to track down else where.
KDS
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2016, 07:17:22 AM »

I'm glad that super-boring "Chasin' the sky" & "Spirit of rock & roll" didn't make it to the album.

I would much prefer those songs plus It's A Beautiful Day in place with the last three songs.  Then you got one nice albums with songs that were almost imposible to track down else where.

I agree.  Having the three oldies on there is pointless. 
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2016, 04:23:27 AM »

I'm super glad you are wrong.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2016, 09:12:48 PM »

This is your earlier post: "It still frustrates that STILL CRUSIN' couldn't have wrapped things up with a trio of tunes like "Chasin' the Sky", "Let's Go to Heaven in My Car", and maybe "The Spirit of Rock & Roll."". Then what you say now doesn't make sense.

You don't seem to listen well. As I have said numerous times, STILL CRUISIN' would have been a better album had it finished with newer recordings.
The Loud Braggart
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2017, 05:23:51 AM »

The Beach Boys have a massive hit and so many of their fans don’t even like it, never seen this before. Especially because it wasn’t even a break with what they have done before, like Genesis. Kokomo and Still Cruisin’ are Beach Boys classics in my book, and yes, I also dig their old surf songs and even more the Pet Sounds and Smile stuff. But it is exactly that stuff, that is out of place here.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2017, 03:18:51 AM »

Two nights ago I dreamt I was somewhere in Japan...

https://youtu.be/bAdeXsyIvE4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »

The Beach Boys have a massive hit and so many of their fans don’t even like it, never seen this before. Especially because it wasn’t even a break with what they have done before, like Genesis. Kokomo and Still Cruisin’ are Beach Boys classics in my book, and yes, I also dig their old surf songs and even more the Pet Sounds and Smile stuff. But it is exactly that stuff, that is out of place here.

I agree.  I really like the Still Cruisin album (minus the rap crossover with The Fat Boys).  I like the six newish songs on it, but wish it was a full album of songs from that era rather than the three classics tacked on at the end.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »

I agree.  I really like the Still Cruisin album (minus the rap crossover with The Fat Boys).  I like the six newish songs on it, but wish it was a full album of songs from that era rather than the three classics tacked on at the end.
It's easy to forget that Wipe Out was a pretty big hit in '87. I suppose that's why Mike wanted it on the album, but it's totally at odds with the rest of the material. If they couldn't come up with 3 more new songs, they should have put on a few more recent (more or less) hits like Getcha Back, California Dreamin', Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue, or It's Gettin' Late.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx