gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Still Cruisin'
5 - 5 (4.8%)
4 - 17 (16.3%)
3 - 30 (28.8%)
2 - 25 (24%)
1 - 22 (21.2%)
0 - 5 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin'  (Read 80747 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 01:20:31 PM »

So far you've commented favorably on two 80s albums and the Newcastle concert, and your signature is from Summer in Paradise.. I'm anticipating your opinion on Stars & Stripes Roll Eyes

Do you like any of their 60s or 70s stuff?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 01:22:12 PM »

I assumed s/he was baiting people into arguments.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »

Oh, that's no fun.. a genuine fan of the later years who seems to not listen to or care for albums like Pet Sounds or Friends or even Surfin' Safari is a curious anomaly. There was an article I read the other day, and they interviewed a girl at a Beach Boys concert, and she said "The Beach Boys have always been my favorite band. My favorite song is Kokomo," she was a fun&sun type, obviously, but presumably she also liked songs like California Girls and Good Vibrations and I Get Around and the like.. but someone who only likes the 80s and 90s stuff, itself an attempt at trying to recreate their hitmaking sound? I want to know this person's thought process. Has he even heard Pet Sounds? Maybe he was a kid in the 80s and only heard their new releases.. and thought the three songs tacked on the end of Still Cruisin' sounded old and weird, you know?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:35:36 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 08:51:03 PM »

i remember as a kid in the 80s, first cassette i ever had was Still Cruisin...enjoyed it...and the last tunes did kind of confuse me...

and then my dad had an 8-track of the Best of the BB (the collection made right after pet sounds with Louie Louie) and I remember like Louie Louie a lot and imitating Mike's bass vocals...but i also got to hear a lot of good stuff like warmth, kiss me baby, surfer girl, & Catch a wave...so i had an earlier exposure of good hits, but lesser known

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 10:29:07 AM »

i love the sixties too and the seventies aren't so bad, but the 80ies are better
i collected all albums, even summer in paradise  Roll Eyes but i have so many 80ies concert, that's why i like the 80ies
i like pet sounds too  Smiley

peter

BTW
i am just 16, it's a little bit hard to understand pet sounds, sunflower or friends in my age
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 10:33:16 AM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 11:26:23 AM »

i love the sixties too and the seventies aren't so bad, but the 80ies are better
i collected all albums, even summer in paradise  Roll Eyes but i have so many 80ies concert, that's why i like the 80ies
i like pet sounds too  Smiley

peter

BTW
i am just 16, it's a little bit hard to understand pet sounds, sunflower or friends in my age

Great. Post more.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 12:48:41 PM »

Hard to understand Pet Sounds? I was 15 or 16 when I first listened to Pet Sounds, 17 when I listened to Friends.. how are they hard to understand? Pet Sounds especially, the songs are written from the point-of-view of a teenager.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 01:18:06 PM »

I bought Still Cruisin only because I wanted to have all the Beach Boys albums, not because I expected it to be any good. But the album surprised me. It's really enjoyable. Not a great work of art, but it's cool.
Totally Jason
Smiley Smile Associate

WWMLD?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2006, 09:23:37 PM »

the album surprised me. It's really enjoyable. Not a great work of art, but it's cool.

Agreed. Just a nice, fun album to pop in and enjoy. Pretty much serves its purpose. As y'all said, it would have been a heck of a lot better of a final product had the classics been removed and replaced by a couple of new tracks...it just feels weird to end the album with the hits. However, again, it at least does a nice job of serving the purpose it was intended to serve.

The best song on the album is easily the title track, IMHO.

Now, Summer is the time where there are no strings attached, but we could get together if you come on back. I'd like to tell you, if it's any satisfaction, you'll always be my Summer season's main attraction.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 12:50:13 AM »

Nothing too spectacular on this album. the title track isnt THAT bad compared to say TM Song Cheesy but overall a pretty below-average album for "America's band". I especially dislike Kokomo. Not because its that terrible of a song but it just annoys me when I say to people "I love the Beach boys" and they start singing "arbua, jamaica" really sarcastically. It annoys me. That whole era sits uneasy with me. Dennis was gone Cry, John Stamos was there Angry Brian was virtually doing nothing anymore. It was basically the Terry Melcher & Mike Love show. And They were writing surfing songs even though they were like 50 years old (or whatever). And then It really annoys me to see footage of Mike (roughly aged 50 or so) with girls in bikinis on stage with him. Its pathetic and just ruined all the good work the original lineup (including Mike of course) did back in the 60's/70's.  Still not as bad as Summer In Paradise.
Daniel Dolphin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 07:27:34 AM »

Hi. I thought "somewhere in Japan" should have been on the Good Vibrations box as the melcher/Love/Johnsson here cleary succeed in making a good 80:s Mamas and Papas/Byrds/Beach Boys kind of sound. I later found out That Terry Melcher is singing the parts that i first thought was Carl and that cooled my appreciation considerably...

Otherwise it's a failure that they couldn't even fill out the album with new songs. Two more decent Brian songs and a new take of Carl's "heaven" (regularly performed at the time)  had placed it one star above the 85 album.

Still No 3 stars rating after "love you" in my opinion.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »

I later found out That Terry Melcher is singing the parts that i first thought was Carl and that cooled my appreciation considerably...

Hold up, what? The bit that goes, "My engine's all burned out, my crew has all bailed out" isn't Carl, it's Melcher? Seriously?
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2007, 04:34:16 AM »

Looks like that I am the only one who gave this album a 5.  Razz

I later found out That Terry Melcher is singing the parts that i first thought was Carl and that cooled my appreciation considerably...

Hold up, what? The bit that goes, "My engine's all burned out, my crew has all bailed out" isn't Carl, it's Melcher? Seriously?

I am pretty sure that Carl is singing the verse.

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 06:12:06 AM »

Yeah, that sounds like Carl to me. I'd like a source on it being Melcher.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 09:33:39 AM »

Terrible album.  Surely they could've cobbled together enough 'new' songs - or at least some that hadn't appeared on any albums. SNJ is the one song that's any good. That's Melcher?  Surely not.
Daniel Dolphin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2007, 03:15:38 AM »

My engine is over now.. is Carl  but the "i'm throwing out a lifeline.. is Terry according to Billy Hinchie in a recent interview in ESQ. After that statement i began to listen more closely (also S.I.P 92) and found many similrarities in Paul Revere and raiders albums that has stacks of Melcher backgrounds behind Mark Lindsay. I think i can hear him on certain vocal lines that i always thought was Carl in the first place (Lahaina aloha). What do you think ?
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2007, 03:59:01 AM »

Listened to it and it's Carl, when something sounds more like Terry then the line "quite sincere" but that's Carl too imo. And on live performances Carl sung the mentionend verses and if Carl didn't sing it on the original version, he wouldn't sing it on live performances.

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2007, 05:12:54 AM »

if Carl didn't sing it on the original version, he wouldn't sing it on live performances.

Thats not necessarily true. Other band members sung other parts that werent by them originally (eg: Dennis singing lead on Good Timin and I think there was an instance where Carl sung Help Me Rhonda even though Al was onstage at the same time)
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2007, 06:17:39 AM »

Yeah, Carl or Dennis was just as [more?] likely to sing Rhonda than Al in the early 70s.

Rather than not singing it live if someone else sang it, I doubt at that stage of the game Carl would mime in the video to someone else's vocals. Maybe Billy is thinknig of the demo or something; I think Jeff Foskett sang Carl's part on Kokomo, and a guy who was there for the demoing might think twenty years later that Foskett is singing the chorus on Kokomo, because he remembers it "happening".

Maybe we should take this to the General Discussion Board, ask Alan Boyd.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »

if Carl didn't sing it on the original version, he wouldn't sing it on live performances.

Thats not necessarily true. Other band members sung other parts that werent by them originally (eg: Dennis singing lead on Good Timin and I think there was an instance where Carl sung Help Me Rhonda even though Al was onstage at the same time)

Yeah, but when Al wasn't on some '90 concert no Beach Boy sung his part on Still Cruisin' or SNJ or Sail On Sailor was always sang by a non-Beach Boys since Blondie left, only in the mid 90ies Carl sung lead.

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2007, 01:03:11 AM »

I hate to say that alot of the lines I thought were Carl's on SNJ do sound alot like Terry Melcher. I don't know what he sounded like in the 80s, though; I'm basing this on the Bruce and Terry/Rip Chords stuff I've heard.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »

I hate to say that alot of the lines I thought were Carl's on SNJ do sound alot like Terry Melcher. I don't know what he sounded like in the 80s, though; I'm basing this on the Bruce and Terry/Rip Chords stuff I've heard.

I have to admit I gave Still Cruisin a 3. It makes it a bit easier to swallow when I realised that 1/2 the songs on it are from the 60's.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »

1/2? Not even 1/3.

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2007, 03:08:59 PM »

1/2? Not even 1/3.

Even if it was only 1/9, my point was that those older songs make the album a little easier to swallow, IMO.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2007, 03:44:58 PM »

1/2? Not even 1/3.

Even if it was only 1/9, my point was that those older songs make the album a little easier to swallow, IMO.

Yes, I get it but I'm a nitpicker.   Cheesy

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx