gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:19:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Still Cruisin'
5 - 5 (4.8%)
4 - 17 (16.3%)
3 - 30 (28.8%)
2 - 25 (24%)
1 - 22 (21.2%)
0 - 5 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin'  (Read 80748 times)
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »

Partial review here since I  did not hear it in its entirety. There's still that dated slick 80s production but it seems more toned down here. The tracks I heard are mainly because they have Carl in it, which makes it listenable. Kokomo is just mediocre but for some strange reason I found the Spanish version more listenable possibly because Brian is audible in the chorus (strange, I know), Somewhere Near Japan is a decent song which has nice vocals by Carl along with the rest. Other than that the album is blah. The inclusion of previously released songs just cheapens it even more.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »

They could have released Still Crusin' as a double album with Pet Sounds as the second disc.........

Tongue

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »

I must be sick in the head or something, but I think Island Girl from this album is absolutely fantastic!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »

I must be sick in the head or something, but I think Island Girl from this album is absolutely fantastic!
Somehow it's a neat tune, that's right.  3D The entirety of Still Cruisin' is a pleasant guilty pleasure, anyway.  Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »

Since we've been discussing twofers lately...

As has been mentioned previously in this thread, it would be nice if they (whoever?) could fill out Still Cruisin' with some other BB songs from that era like "Happy Endings", "Rock And Roll To The Rescue", and "California Dreamin", and team it with Summer In Paradise as a twofer.

I have no idea how it could be worked out - probably it can't - but I would like to see these Melcher productions in one package, not just to conveniently group them in one place, but to make an official presentation of a unique era in Beach Boys history. Granted, this was the nadir of the group, but a budget-priced twofer would be a diversion for a casual fan and a necessity for a completist/diehard.
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »

SNJ is just fantastic to me - here the clean crisp digital production really is just justified. Fabulous vocals, pleasant melodies, and a classy beat - and who is playing those wonderful guitars especially on the coda?

The title track is fine too - I can't say no to the chiming Rickenbacker guitars and that Carl "when we go cruisin'...' bit

IG and IMC are fun atypical BB songs and Kokomo is fab. As a musician/producer I marvel at those swift accordian/steel drum arpeggio bits in the verses....Maybe I am alone in my view but I think Terry Melcher as a co-writer and producer did some fine and classy stuff in late 80's/90's for the Beach Boys.
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

btw someone on YouTube has posted the single mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGVK9zTYIlU

The CD must be worth a bit - a couple of days ago the cassette single went for nearly 20 bucks!!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 06:37:18 AM »

btw someone on YouTube has posted the single mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGVK9zTYIlU

The CD must be worth a bit - a couple of days ago the cassette single went for nearly 20 bucks!!

tis my upload, but, alas, I only got the track from an 'alternative' compilation  Afro

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2012, 03:22:45 AM »

Nice upload.  Cool

btw when was the last time this song was played live, and are there recordings kicking around?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »

is this available on vinyl?

A friend recently gave me a couple of promo posters for this album and Made in the USA, they're about the size of a regular LP.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »

Yep, just got a copy Wink

scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2013, 02:26:42 AM »

I like this album, I don't know why there's not much love for it, but it's fun and enjoyable.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »

i am just 16, it's a little bit hard to understand pet sounds...in my age

Wow, hard to understand?  Maybe ur living a charmed life then.  Pet Sounds & The Catcher in The Rye saved my life when I was 15.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »

Not half as good as the criminally underrated "The Beach Boys", in fact this album is one of their worse.
Having said that, this album could have been much worse. It's still a lot better than KTSA, SIP, MIU, 15 Big Ones, etc.
Having said THAT, this album was only made because of the surprising success of the crappy "Kokomo".
The title track is quite good, as it "Make It Big".
I don't know what they were thinking, adding the super-crappy Fat Boys collaboration of "Wipeout". Not to mention the bad idea of adding 3 60's era Beach Boys songs.
If they were going to try a album full of BB's songs that recently appeared in movies, they should have added "Chasin' The Sky", "Happy Endings", etc.
3 out of 5
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »

i am just 16, it's a little bit hard to understand pet sounds...in my age

Wow, hard to understand?  Maybe ur living a charmed life then.  Pet Sounds & The Catcher in The Rye saved my life when I was 15.

I didn't really clarify back then, but what I meant seven years (!) ago it was difficult to understand since english isn't my first language. Now I love Pet Sounds but Still Cruisin' is still one of my favs, being an 80s child.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

is this available on vinyl?

A friend recently gave me a couple of promo posters for this album and Made in the USA, they're about the size of a regular LP.

I bought both of these albums on vinyl when they came out.  I still think Rock and Roll to the Rescue sounds much better on vinyl and the 45 even better than the LP (I was a teenager in the 80's, still bought 45's at the Tower Records back then...)

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2013, 02:37:48 AM »

Oh god I ALMOST hate this album... It's even not a real album, just a bad compilation. 2/5 pretty much just for Kokomo. Yes that's right.

Still Cruisin - Forgettable.
Somewhere Near Japan - Highlight.
Island Girl - Highlight, but mediocre.
In My Car - Highlight, but it's still mediocre.
Kokomo - Highlight.
Wipe Out - One of the worst songs ever.
Make It Big - Forgettable.

I Get Around
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
-WTF are these doing here?
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »

Either my tastes are getting shittier, or I guess I just really love the Beach Boys, especially when Mike, Carl, Al and Brian are all involved and singing together. You definitely get that here at times, and it's easy to enjoy. The latter half screws the whole album up with utter filler, but a few songs on this album are pretty fucking great to be honest. "Island Girl", "Somewhere Near Japan", "In My Car" are all excellent, despite some cheesy dated production, but BW88 and BB85 were also horrid, probably even worse in some respects but still had great songs. I ended up avoiding this like the plague for many years, only heard "In My Car", but hearing SNJ and Island Girl was kind of a surprise to me. You'd expect awful embarrassing things like Wipe Out or stuff like off Summer In Paradise to fill this thing up, or faux-Caribbean music abominations a la "Kokomo", which "Island Girl" kind of is actually, but I can't help but enjoy hearing Carl and Al on here especially, that trademark Beach Boys harmony blend, and also some nice inclusions of Brian here and there. I just love the guys singing together and they really do it well here.

Now if they took off "Wipe Out", and the 60's rerun compilation songs tacked on the end for filler and actually tried to come up with a few more new songs, this might have gotten some more credit over the years. They could have easily filled it with other songs from the period (not exactly sure when Chasin The Sky comes from, but they could have tacked on Rock N Roll To The Rescue too). Would have made it much better and not feel like a cheap semi-compliation cash in.

Overall though, I enjoy at least the songs I mentioned, and I ended up giving it a 3 for those alone. "Kokomo" ain't bad. The whole thing is really a guilty pleasure, and songs like SNJ are actually really underrated.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2014, 07:23:50 PM »

3/5  I enjoy the LP but take  the last 3 songs off and add at least a dozen other songs released in movies or one off singles.. Fill it with 80 minutes of rare BB tracks some in movies some not.. Take a hint from the bootleggers..
KDS
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2015, 07:58:55 AM »

This one is kinda hard to rate as its more of an EP or compilation to capitalize on the success of Kokomo. 

This album could've been 20/20 - 20 Years Later with an assortment of soundtrack songs, singles, one off's etc.  Instead it's just kinda lazy. 

That being said, the songs are surprisingly good.  I know I'm in the minority, but I kinda like the Mike Love / Terry Melcher / Jimmy Buffett wannabe late 80s offerings.  The title track and Kokomo are fun tracks.   I also really like Somewhere Near Japan and Island Car.  In My Car is basically a Brian outtake with Al and Carl's harmonies added, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.  Make It Big is pretty decent too. 

Then, there's the attempt at a Aerosmith/RUN DMC style comeback hit with Wipe Out.  Its......interesting.  Not good, but interesting.  The video is at least somewhat comical. 

I'm sure there are plenty of other tracks from the late 80s that could've been included over California Girls, Wouldn't It Be Nice, and I Get Around.  It's kinda unfair to the newer songs to have these classics on the disc. 

So, I'll typically listen to the first six tracks if I spin this one.  For those six I rate it a four.  For the lack of other songs from this era, and Wipe Out, it might be closer to a three. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2015, 06:36:46 AM »

Stale Cruisin':  The Beach Boys Lost in the 80s

Stale Cruisin'
Somewhere Near The Can
Island Girl
In My Car
Koko-blow
Wipe Out
Make It Big (make what big?)

Problem Chile (slight return)
Rock n' Roll to the Fescue
California Creamin'
Sloppy Endings
Chasin' The Sky

Groin' To The Beach
Doo-Doo Ron Ron
Why Don't The Let Us Fall In Love
It's A Beautiful Day

I've included a few from '79/'80, but they fit I think.  Are there any other tracks floating around from Beach Boy's 80s purgatory, that I've missed??  May as well include some early 90s???

Soul Searchin'?
You're Still A Mystery?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2015, 09:03:52 AM »

Add Crocodile Rock?

I've been listening to a variation of the tracklist above -- and, man, no matter which way you slice it this is bad Beach Boys!   LOL

I have a love of the band and can do some 80s cheese (for a few minutes) -- I also have nostalgia for this period, but that nostalgia also remembers how painfully devoid of quality it was for the band (and pop/rock music in general).  I also remember how much I really wanted the Boys to do good.  Wipe Out (which many seem to loathe) is actually the coolest thing they did during this period, and I bought the single.  Everything else is sappy (Happy Endings is awful) or just cheese.  Even tracks that have something going for them are marred by lame-ness.

Anyway, I may strike the 79/80 songs, since those are too good.  This era is really more 85-95.  That's the cheese era.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:05:39 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »

I will probably be verbally assaulted for this, but I think this is a great record.
1 Still Cruisin- A cheesey, but catchy song. A good opener.
2 Somewhere Near Japan- AN ABSOLUTE CLASSIC. This is one of their best songs of the 1980's for sure.
3 Island Girl- A nice Al tune. Catchy and inoffensive.
4 In My Car- Brian once described it as a "1990's car song" and that's exactly what it is. A creative step back for Brian, but a catchy rock tune nonetheless.
5 Kokomo- This would be enjoyable if I hadn't heard it 10 million times, and if Mike didn't talk about so much!
6 Wipe Out- Oooh. This is painful. This is horrible.
7 Make It Big- That's more like it. This has some great vocals.

With the exception of the horrendous Wipe Out, this is a very good album. Yeah I said it. I like Still Cruisin'.  Cool
KDS
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2015, 05:56:29 AM »

I will probably be verbally assaulted for this, but I think this is a great record.
2 Somewhere Near Japan- AN ABSOLUTE CLASSIC. This is one of their best songs of the 1980's for sure.
4 In My Car- Brian once described it as a "1990's car song" and that's exactly what it is. A creative step back for Brian, but a catchy rock tune nonetheless.
5 Kokomo- This would be enjoyable if I hadn't heard it 10 million times, and if Mike didn't talk about so much!

With the exception of the horrendous Wipe Out, this is a very good album. Yeah I said it. I like Still Cruisin'.  Cool

Agreed, with the bizarre inclusion of three 60s classics, this functions very well as a solid late 80s EP.  (Except for Wipe Out). 

Since Kokomo is almost 30 years old and doesn't get the airplay it used to, I find it much more enjoyable these days. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2015, 07:47:19 PM »

I never disliked the new songs on the album; just the way they were presented. I can enjoy a good compilation, but this album tries to be both a greatest hits and a studio album. The guys could have easily come up with 4 more tunes for a studio album. Apparently, that's not what Capitol wanted.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx