gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:34:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Still Cruisin'
5 - 5 (4.8%)
4 - 17 (16.3%)
3 - 30 (28.8%)
2 - 25 (24%)
1 - 22 (21.2%)
0 - 5 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin'  (Read 80835 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »

1/2? Not even 1/3.

Even if it was only 1/9, my point was that those older songs make the album a little easier to swallow, IMO.

Yes, I get it but I'm a nitpicker.   Cheesy

Actually though, there are some bright non-60's moments on this album. The only song that really makes me cringe is Make It Big... Sounds so much like a crappy Van Halen knock off that it makes me laugh... Wait, I guess I am entertained by it so.. who knows? I'm confused now.  Grin
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »

The only song that really makes me cringe is Make It Big... Sounds so much like a crappy Van Halen knock off that it makes me laugh...

Yeh Ive never really dug Make It Big that too for me is probably the only song that I dont like on the album (besides Kokomo)
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2007, 04:21:08 AM »

I like it but the movie version is better.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »

There is no way that is Melcher on "Japan".  Listen to him on th BGV's on the euro version o "Island Fever".  He sounds NOTHING like Carl.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2008, 09:23:33 PM »

Well I'm not going to rate the last three songs.  Preferrably they could have used the other available new tracks they had done in the last 4 years.  There was easily enough material for that.  But at any rate, the remaining the seven are not bad by any means.  In My Car is unbelievable to me for some reason.  I played it on the jukebox at the local bowling alley.  First time I'd heard it.  It doesn't work for some I understand but considering I'm one who has a huge appreciation for late 60's/early 70's Beach Boys for some reason it still works for me.

Still Cruisin' - 3.5/5
Somewhere Near Japan - 4.5/5
Island Girl - 3/5
In My Car - 5/5
Kokomo - 4/5
Wipe Out - 4/5
Make It Big - 3/5

That actually rounds to a 4.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 05:56:45 AM »

As an album, I hardly want to rate it, to me its just a collection of songs. Regarding the new songs, I think they are better than BB85, at least I enjoy them more and think they are more imaginatively produced, and far better than the unreleased Sweet Insanity.

Ideally, the new songs would have been issued iwth the best parts of the SI to make a solid Beach Boys album of twelve songs. Somewhere Near Japan is beautiful, but actually most of the songs are pleasant little ditties in their own right.

Failing that, it would have been nice to have these new songs collected together with other eighties singles(Rock and Roll to the Rescue, California Dreamin', East Meets West, Chasin' the Sky and that Little Richard song...)
I guess I'll rate it this album a one.5 and round up to two...and then I'll get to work on my Still Cruisin'/Sweet Insanity mix.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:59:10 AM by lance » Logged
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »

I gave it a 3.  It's okay.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 04:42:13 AM »

Love this album, it's out of print so I had to get it from itunes.

I'd give it a 3.5.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »

There's a lot to enjoy here. Even though this is a patchwork record even by the standards of the group who did 20/20 and Carl And the Passions, for me it works surprisingly well even as an album (safe for the last three songs, that is). It's not perfect by any means, but most of the songs have aged a whole lot better than BB85. This is as close to making a truly satisfying album as the group ever got during the eighties. It could have used two or three more BW originals, though. What about "Too Much Sugar"?  Cheesy
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »

This is certainly better than 85. I really really like somewhere near Japan despite some of the cheesy production elements. Great vocals

plus

you get to hear "keeping it clean Al Jardine" sing "and now she's driftin' on some Chinese junk"  LOL
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:45:36 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »

One of my favorite Beach Boys albums. I absolutely love the a capella opener to "Island Girl", and I enjoy the title track as well. Mike's bass vocal in "Wipe Out" is fun to sing along with. I rate this a 4, only because I wish they put out a few new songs instead of "California Girls", "I Get Around", and "Wouldn't It Be Nice".

I have reason to believe that the only "Beach Boy" singing on this "song" was Brian Wilson...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2009, 11:33:08 PM »

Honestly, I won't be surprised if this album ever gets "repackaged" as a Beach Boys At The Movies compliation.  They could throw in "Problem Child", "It's Such A Beautiful Day" and "Chasin' The Sky" and whatever else was missing from this album. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »

Still Cruisin': Like this song, it has a cool Beach Boys summer feeling and cool vocals from Bruce!
Somewhere Near Japan: Just discovered this great song!
Island Girl: Very cool song from Al with a great acapella intro and Al doing some short falsetto part! Grin
In My Car: Very 80s sounding song can not listen to it too often.
Kokomo: One song among others that brought me to the Beach Boys, good vocals from Mike and Carl!
Wipeout: Not my thing!
Make It Big: Good song, I like it!

The Album got a 4 from me, because of the 3 oldies at the end, it would have been better if they had recorded some new Material or put Rock & Roll To The Rescue to it!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »

Still Cruisin': Like this song, it has a cool Beach Boys summer feeling and cool vocals from Bruce!
Somewhere Near Japan: Just discovered this great song!
Island Girl: Very cool song from Al with a great acapella intro and Al doing some short falsetto part! Grin
In My Car: Very 80s sounding song can not listen to it too often.
Kokomo: One song among others that brought me to the Beach Boys, good vocals from Mike and Carl!
Wipeout: Not my thing!
Make It Big: Good song, I like it!

The Album got a 4 from me, because of the 3 oldies at the end, it would have been better if they had recorded some new Material or put Rock & Roll To The Rescue to it!

R&R to the Rescue had already been on Made in USA.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »

And Wouldn't It Be Nice had already been on Pet Sounds!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 08:00:02 PM »

Wipe Out is quite literally the weirdest song I've ever heard. And I have collections of The Residents, Eden Ahbez, and Bruce Haack.
elchriso
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »

"Somewhere Near Japan" is the best thing the Beach Boys have done since 60's at least, possibly even since the SMiLE sessions. 2 stars for that it's such a great song.

The rest of the album needs to rot in a hole somewhere. Even the 3 tracks from other albums sound worse here than they do on the original albums for some reason. It's like they're embarrassed to be on the same tracklisting as "Wipeout" and "Island Girl."
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

Time hasn't been too kind to the songs on this album. At the time it was issued however, it was rather "hip" and commercial. It wasn't outlandish to hear these songs on the radio in the same line up as Janet Jackson, Duran Duran, and Bruce Springsteen.

The new material has its moments. "In My Car" has great vocals from Brian, Carl, and Al and is actually a damn fine car song (regardless of Landy's involvement), "Island Girl" and "Make It Big" also feature fabulous group vocals (again featuring Brian). "Somewhere Near Japan" is an obvious winner. The single version included a remix with a different intro and some added vocals here and there that, as far as I know, hasn't shown up on CD. The title track is fun in that  the listener is able to distinctly pick out Mike, Carl, Al, and Bruce as they each sing an audible part.

Yeah, it's 80s gloss but once you get passed that, it can actually be an enjoyable listen.

My one big complaint about it is older tracks stick out like a sore thumb. I wish they had just thrown in unreleased tracks instead.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »

Shocking Tidbit Of The Day:

"Wipe Out" was originally going to be performed with (get ready for this) Run-DMC!!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »

I actually love Wipeout as-is. Probably would have loved it with Run-DMC, too, though; I love their music from that period. In fact, I love more hip-hop from the late 80s than of any time before or after. Kind of my golden era for it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »

If they'd taken off 'Make It Big' and the re-recordings of old hits and stuck 'Rock n'Roll to the Rescue', 'California Dreaming', 'Chasing the Sky' and a couple other 'new' or non-album songs, the album would have pretty good IMO.

'Rock n Roll to the Rescue' is a damn fine, fun Beach Boys rocker, in the noble tradition of 'I Get Around' and 'Surfin Safari' with Brian on great form. I was very surprised when I saw that Brian hadn't written it but Terry Melcher/Mike Love. My view of the Melcher/Love writing partnership rose slightly as a result  Cheesy

'California Dreaming' is imo a latterday classic Beach Boys track, even with the overloud drums in places. Carl and Al are on grand vocal form here. Should have been on 'Still Cruisin'.

'Somewhere Near Japan' is a very good track (tho I wonder if Al realised whether the lyrics to this might possibly be drug-related, but he's certainly there on the track), 'In My Car' is carazy and kinda happening and is a good example of Brian's musical sense of humour IMO.

The title track is ok, but Mike's nasal vocal does spoil it a little imo.

Would give the album a 2.5/5 as is, but with the above tracks added, I'd give it a 3.5/5 . Not bad Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »

If they'd taken off 'Make It Big' and the re-recordings of old hits and stuck 'Rock n'Roll to the Rescue', 'California Dreaming', 'Chasing the Sky' and a couple other 'new' or non-album songs, the album would have pretty good IMO.

'Rock n Roll to the Rescue' is a damn fine, fun Beach Boys rocker, in the noble tradition of 'I Get Around' and 'Surfin Safari' with Brian on great form. I was very surprised when I saw that Brian hadn't written it but Terry Melcher/Mike Love. My view of the Melcher/Love writing partnership rose slightly as a result  Cheesy

'California Dreaming' is imo a latterday classic Beach Boys track, even with the overloud drums in places. Carl and Al are on grand vocal form here. Should have been on 'Still Cruisin'.

'Somewhere Near Japan' is a very good track (tho I wonder if Al realised whether the lyrics to this might possibly be drug-related, but he's certainly there on the track), 'In My Car' is carazy and kinda happening and is a good example of Brian's musical sense of humour IMO.

The title track is ok, but Mike's nasal vocal does spoil it a little imo.

Would give the album a 2.5/5 as is, but with the above tracks added, I'd give it a 3.5/5 . Not bad Smiley
The old tracks are not re-records; they are the originals. Although WIBN is a Alt. Take. The reason why Rock and Roll To The Rescue and California Dreamin' were not on Still Cruisin' is because they were on Made In USA album, which was less than 3 years old and had been their latest release.  I'm with you on adding It's A Beautiful Day and Chasin' The Sky, but I suppose Capitol did not want to spend the dollars it would have taken to lease the songs for the album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

Okay effort for the late 1980s, the lyrics for still crusin make me cringe though.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »

I guess this is from the era of guilty pleasures, but i like the new songs a lot (except Wipe Out - that should not have been on a BB's album; it's a Fat Boys track with BB's as guests, not the other way around). I'll never understand, though, why they had to pad it out with three oldies that we already had on Made In USA, Endless Summer, and countless other comps. Brian, as we know, was very prolific in this era, but I suppose it was too much of a headache to get him in the studio with the Boys as long as Landy's gang was around. Why no songs from Carl?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »

Kokomo, Like it or not, is a great song.

And SOMEWHERE NEAR JAPAN. HOLY sh*t THAT SONG IS GREAT!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx