gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:56:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did Bruce and Jack disagree over?  (Read 34138 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:00:47 AM »

Does anyone know exactly what was said/happened between Bruce and Jack Reiley to cause Bruce to leave the band in the early 70's?
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:13:26 AM »

I hate to give a boring answer, but I believe it's a simple as Brice gave a 3rd vote to the Mike/Al vote that was going on at the time and Jack thought of the band as the Brothers Wilson followed by Mike/Al. nothing gets done in Stale mates and who else could be given the boot?

It's pretty evident Bruce was one for very soft/smooth pop and it was believed the Boys should go a more rock style as Carl and Dennis took.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:50:09 AM »

Short answer: just about everything.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »

It's because Bruce believed his name was being stolen by the gay community as evidenced years later in this Simpsons clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSuNzCgWpL4

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:33:00 AM »

Wasn't it more that he wanted to embark on a solo career?
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 04:40:09 AM »

Wasn't it more that he wanted to embark on a solo career?

Is that true? He couldn't have a solo career and a BB's career?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 05:01:34 AM »

I'm not sure what went on between Jack and Bruce. But iirc there were also some tensions between Bruce and the Boys even before Jack came along. It's been a couple of years since I read about it but I think that already in '69 Billy Hinsche was asked if he wanted to replace Bruce.
And I also remember reading about loud arguments happening backstage at one show when Bruce wanted to play one of his songs solo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:12:58 AM »

I'm not sure what went on between Jack and Bruce. But iirc there were also some tensions between Bruce and the Boys even before Jack came along. It's been a couple of years since I read about it but I think that already in '69 Billy Hinsche was asked if he wanted to replace Bruce.
And I also remember reading about loud arguments happening backstage at one show when Bruce wanted to play one of his songs solo.

I don't know why but that makes me feel sorry for Bruce (which rarely, if ever, happens.). When were the arguments? If it was later 70's surely that wouldn't hurt there set considering they'd hit the nostalgia circuit. Before then, did Bruce have solo stuff apart from Going Public, Bruce and Terry and his Surfing Down Under stuff?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 05:33:24 AM »

Nether Dennis nor Mike seemed keen to rush to his defence when he left, but the only studio album he isn't on after he joined is MIU; he's on all the Rieley albums but the live one, he's the only other BB credited on POB and he was back with the band in 79 and he's Mike's road buddy. You'll notice he doesn't feature in the groups photo on Ten Years of Harmony, allegedly at Carl's request because he hadn't been a member of the band for much of the decade, yet he's on three albums as a BB at the start of the decade and two at the end, as well as the others he appeared on. Seems a tad harsh, but now I think of it, I seem to remember Carl's name being attached to the attempt to replace him with Billy, but who knows. Strange, dysfunctional group of people...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 05:41:52 AM »

I don't know why but that makes me feel sorry for Bruce (which rarely, if ever, happens.). When were the arguments? If it was later 70's surely that wouldn't hurt there set considering they'd hit the nostalgia circuit.

No, it was in the late 60s/early 70s if I'm not mistaken. The song in question probably was something from a Beach Boys album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 06:00:52 AM »

Yes it is. Upon leaving the Beach Boys he wrote what was to become Barry Manilow's hit "I Write the Songs" while solo.  Bruce returned to the BB in '78 at Brian's request.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 07:00:25 AM »

Once of Bruce's claims was that Jack was making it look like Brian was more involved than he was
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 07:18:57 AM »

Nether Dennis nor Mike seemed keen to rush to his defence when he left, but the only studio album he isn't on after he joined is MIU; he's on all the Rieley albums but the live one, he's the only other BB credited on POB and he was back with the band in 79 and he's Mike's road buddy. You'll notice he doesn't feature in the groups photo on Ten Years of Harmony, allegedly at Carl's request because he hadn't been a member of the band for much of the decade, yet he's on three albums as a BB at the start of the decade and two at the end, as well as the others he appeared on. Seems a tad harsh, but now I think of it, I seem to remember Carl's name being attached to the attempt to replace him with Billy, but who knows. Strange, dysfunctional group of people...

Where can Bruce be heard on the Holland album?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 07:21:03 AM »

Yes it is. Upon leaving the Beach Boys he wrote what was to become Barry Manilow's hit "I Write the Songs" while solo.  Bruce returned to the BB in '78 at Brian's request.

I don't quite understand this response... I know Bruce HAD a solo career but was asking if he was told he couldn't be in the Beach Boys if he wanted to make solo music too.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »

Strange for Carl of all people to be so petty
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 07:44:07 AM »

Jack didn't want the sound to turn to "ten Years Of Harmony" Sound https://youtu.be/9qKEiQ5VLBk
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »

Where can Bruce be heard on the Holland album?
[/quote]

He is singing on California Saga
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:43 AM »

I was recently reading through the excellent Rusten/Stebbins “In Concert” book, and if I recall correctly, there are some contemporary quotes from the band around the time of Bruce’s departure, and they certainly don’t seem to be particularly sad about it as it’s happening. I don’t think the Rieley issue was the only issue at play.

I don’t disagree that the group and its members could be strange and dysfunctional, but I don’t think a personnel decision regarding whether they felt Bruce fit in at the time (or whether Bruce felt he fit in) would be a good example of that. That’s actually one of the more normal things that went on with the band at the time, in light of things going on with other bands. I’d also say that, whereas later personnel issues (and “licensing” the name to tour, etc.) in later decades were imbued with a lot of politics and dysfunctionality, back in 1972 with Bruce it seemed to actually be motivated more by normal personal/musical band “differences”, as opposed to trying to make political/business moves to edge people out, etc.

To be sure, there were *always* inner-group politics at play, going all the way back to 1961/62. But, while things like Al’s 1998 departure or the C50 breakdown was more ambiguous, Bruce’s 1972 departure seemed somewhat clear-cut at least in terms of both sides seeming to be okay with what went down. Bruce wasn’t saying he had been forced out, and wasn’t suing the band or trying to get back in. Meanwhile, the band didn’t seem to be all broken up about losing him.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »

He may not have been being petty. Who knows what went on. Billy was his brother in law at them time too.Who knows? Maybe they just had a falling out that week.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 08:42:44 AM »

I read an interview in the British press with Mike Love and he was specifically asked about Bruce leaving - the impression Mike gave was that Bruce was not a team player, he was off doing stuff on his own, he wrote his stuff on his own - by implication I think Bruce didn't want to collaborate with Jack on songs, didn't like the musical/lyrical direction Jack was pushing them towards.  I can get some direct quotes later today.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »

The story of how Carl decided on the "Ten Years..." artwork actually makes it sound like he put a lot of thought into it. It's worth remembering that in 1981, Bruce's position within the band probably wasn't crystal clear. He was "in" the band certainly, but I don't know if any of them knew or anticipated how long he'd be back in the band. At that point, the band had been going for 20 years and Bruce had been a member for about half that time.

It's also worth noting that that particular story may not be wholly accurate, or may lack some detail. Are there any first-hand reports or quotes, or is it just another one of those "rumored/alleged" stories?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »

I think the fact that he sang on "I'll Bet He's Nice" and "End of the Show" and came to the "Love You" release party (and took photos smiling with the Wilson brothers) shows there was never truly bad blood in the separation.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »

The story of how Carl decided on the "Ten Years..." artwork actually makes it sound like he put a lot of thought into it. It's worth remembering that in 1981, Bruce's position within the band probably wasn't crystal clear. He was "in" the band certainly, but I don't know if any of them knew or anticipated how long he'd be back in the band. At that point, the band had been going for 20 years and Bruce had been a member for about half that time.

It's also worth noting that that particular story may not be wholly accurate, or may lack some detail. Are there any first-hand reports or quotes, or is it just another one of those "rumored/alleged" stories?

Well, I read it on here! Remember that the album only contained stuff from 1970 - 1980 (or the albums released in that period, because some of the songs were recorded earlier). I still think it's odd, but then they're an odd bunch.

I wonder about the politics, as far as Jack and Bruce are concerned. I can't imagine they saw eye to eye.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »

didn't Reilley claim that Bruce disagreed with and talked sh*t about the Wilsons?

not surprising, since he continues doing it to this day.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 01:29:17 PM »

didn't Reilley claim that Bruce disagreed with and talked sh*t about the Wilsons?

not surprising, since he continues doing it to this day.
Where has he continued doing it to this day, he seems very complimentary of all three Wilson brothers in interviews and shows I've been to.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:30:19 PM by baseball95 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx