gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:56:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did Bruce and Jack disagree over?  (Read 34333 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »

Reilly was a Wilson brothers guy through and through, hence the renewed Wilson leadership under Carl and Dennis in the early 1970s.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »

It would not be difficult to understand that Jack's sexuality was most likely questioned by right winger, good ol' boys Br00th and myKe. One's an Obama basher and the other's a Trump luHver.
OSD - it was later discovered that he had an "inflated resume."  It shows a tendency towards falsehood.  He "faked it to make it" and ultimately it was found out.  

That does not translate to homophobic.  

I agree that any political differences that Bruce (or any of the Boys) may have had with Jack do not necessarily in any way, shape, or form automatically translate to homophobia. I'm certainly not quick to make that judgment based on current political affiliations, and OSD shouldn't be either. That said, I do recall reading something that alluded to potential homophobia from within the band, which of course, in theory could also have come from a band member(s) who was in all other ways politically liberal. I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. I sincerely hope the homophobia that I recall reading about is a completely baseless and false statement, though if it is true, none of us can simply will it not to be true.

For whatever it's worth (and perhaps it completely says nothing), I was surprised that Mike didn't post a peep about Jack's passing on social media, compared with Brian (who did)... especially considering how much Jack was a big part of turning around the band's fortunes, and especially considering that many non BB-related people, like Muhammad Ali, get long, detailed posts by Mike when they passed. I took that to mean that there was some very irreparably bad blood between Mike and Jack.

1 + 1 =2, right? Of course there was bad blood. Jack and Brian wrote music *together*, presumably not with myKe. Carl and Jack did the same w/o myKe. mYke's limitless ego had to endure yet another *attack* from another competitor who was not a blood relative. What a pathetic, small man.

I can certainly conceive of resentment over being replaced yet again as a lyricist, but I'm willing to accept a more nuanced or complex version of events if such facts support them. I mean, Mike still tries to slip occasional compliments to Van Dyke Parks, even if it's at this point partly brown-nosing and not any kind of reciprocal thing. I figure there had to be some *really* bad stuff between Mike and Jack for Jack's passing to get no public mention by eager-to-mention-every-celebrity's-passing Mike, but who knows if it was about lyrics, about other stuff too, or what. Jack's non-mention seemed really conspicuous to me, and sad too.

I wonder if Mike or Bruce ever tried to write a song with Jack. Maybe ultimately, Jack was just perceived as a threat to those guys.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:59:46 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »

If Mike had a problem with Van Dyke's Smile lyrics as not being clear, I figure he'd have a bigger problem with Rieley's lyrics, especially on something like Feel Flows.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »

It would not be difficult to understand that Jack's sexuality was most likely questioned by right winger, good ol' boys Br00th and myKe. One's an Obama basher and the other's a Trump luHver.
OSD - it was later discovered that he had an "inflated resume."  It shows a tendency towards falsehood.  He "faked it to make it" and ultimately it was found out.  

I agree that any political differences that Bruce (or any of the Boys) may have had with Jack do not necessarily in any way, shape, or form automatically translate to homophobia. I'm certainly not quick to make that judgment based on current political affiliations, and OSD shouldn't be either. That said, I do recall reading something that alluded to potential homophobia from within the band, which of course, in theory could even have come from a band member(s) who was in all other ways politically liberal. Homophobia and political leanings are not mutually exclusive. I sincerely hope the homophobia that I recall reading about is a completely baseless and false statement, though if it is true, none of us can simply will it not to be true.
Hmmm. At that time, no. At a time when lots of legal rights are at stake - not so sure.
Now we resume your interrupted program.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »

I agree that any political differences that Bruce (or any of the Boys) may have had with Jack do not necessarily in any way, shape, or form automatically translate to homophobia. I'm certainly not quick to make that judgment based on current political affiliations, and OSD shouldn't be either. That said, I do recall reading something that alluded to potential homophobia from within the band, which of course, in theory could even have come from a band member(s) who was in all other ways politically liberal. Homophobia and political leanings are not mutually exclusive. I sincerely hope the homophobia that I recall reading about is a completely baseless and false statement, though if it is true, none of us can simply will it not to be true.
Hmmm. At that time, no. At a time when lots of legal rights are at stake - not so sure.
Now we resume your interrupted program.

Agreed.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »

Tbh, even when I was an adolescent and young adult, which was well after this time, there was a lot of little homophobia just about everywhere, even in the gay community. It's changed a lot in the last 30 years. Awareness and familiarity have increased so that now, people can recognize little homophobic reactions within themselves for what they are and reject them or embrace them as they will; I don't think that was the case back then. The Beach Boys would have had to be unusually enlightened to not have been homophobic to a degree.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »

OSD - it was later discovered that he had an "inflated resume."  It shows a tendency towards falsehood.  He "faked it to make it" and ultimately it was found out. 

I agree that any political differences that Bruce (or any of the Boys) may have had with Jack do not necessarily in any way, shape, or form automatically translate to homophobia. I'm certainly not quick to make that judgment based on current political affiliations, and OSD shouldn't be either. That said, I do recall reading something that alluded to potential homophobia from within the band, which of course, in theory could also have come from a band member(s) who was in all other ways politically liberal. I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. I sincerely hope the homophobia that I recall reading about is a completely baseless and false statement, though if it is true, none of us can simply will it not to be true.

For whatever it's worth (and perhaps it completely says nothing), I was surprised that Mike didn't post a peep about Jack's passing on social media, compared with Brian (who did)... especially considering how much Jack was a big part of turning around the band's fortunes, and especially considering that many non BB-related people, like Muhammad Ali, get long, detailed posts by Mike when they passed. I took that to mean that there was some very irreparably bad blood between Mike and Jack.

1 + 1 =2, right? Of course there was bad blood. Jack and Brian wrote music *together*, presumably not with myKe. Carl and Jack did the same w/o myKe. mYke's limitless ego had to endure yet another *attack* from another competitor who was not a blood relative. What a pathetic, small man.

I believe they (Mike and Jack)  share credits on a few songs, though.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »

True. Remember Bobby Brown Goes Down? Hardly the product of a fiercely Conservative (with a capital C) creative mind.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »

Not pointing my finger at Bruce (or anyone specifically), but wasn't there some weird stuff that went on where some BB member(s) were not thrilled when they got wind of Jack's sexuality? I know I recall reading something to this effect, without a lot of details. I could see a relationship could be adversely affected if a given band member (or multiple ones) had a less than tolerant reaction. And yes, I'm mindful of this being 4+ decades ago.

Hey everybody.

Even though I know Bruce is a conservative douchebag for the most part I'm nearly positive he's not only NOT homophobic, but instead actually seemed a bit peeved with what he perceived as the homophobic reaction to the disco scene. I remember reading something like that in an interview with him. I truthfully can't remember which era the interview is from, but it definitely made it seem like, for all of his conservatism, he definitely thought homophobia was f***ed up. Also, while I'm not saying he's gay, he does have a slightly fey mannerism about him.

So yeah. That's me standing up for Bruce for a change. And by the way, Surfer's Pajama Party is one of my favorite live albums! And "Don't Run Away" is a beautiful song and it's a Johnston/Love co-write!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:52:03 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »

Not pointing my finger at Bruce (or anyone specifically), but wasn't there some weird stuff that went on where some BB member(s) were not thrilled when they got wind of Jack's sexuality? I know I recall reading something to this effect, without a lot of details. I could see a relationship could be adversely affected if a given band member (or multiple ones) had a less than tolerant reaction. And yes, I'm mindful of this being 4+ decades ago.

Hey everybody.

Even though I know Bruce is a conservative douchebag for the most part I'm nearly positive he's not only NOT homophobic, but instead actually seemed a bit peeved with what he perceived as the homophobic reaction to the disco scene. I remember reading something like that in an interview with him. I truthfully can't remember which era the interview is from, but it definitely made it seem like, for all of his conservatism, he definitely thought homophobia was f***ed up. Also, while I'm not saying he's gay, he does have a slightly fey mannerism about him.

So yeah. That's me standing up for Bruce for a change. And by the way, Surfer's Pajama Party is one of my favorite live albums! And "Don't Run Away" is a beautiful song and it's a Johnston/Love co-write!

Well all of that is good to hear.

And I second the love for "Don't Run Away", which has my vote for the single most underrated and underappreciated BB-related track in perhaps the entire catalog.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »

If Mike had a problem with Van Dyke's Smile lyrics as not being clear, I figure he'd have a bigger problem with Rieley's lyrics, especially on something like Feel Flows.

Good point, although Funky Pretty's middle section probably would be 'Exhibit A'

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »

didn't Reilley claim that Bruce disagreed with and talked sh*t about the Wilsons?

not surprising, since he continues doing it to this day.
Where has he continued doing it to this day, he seems very complimentary of all three Wilson brothers in interviews and shows I've been to.

Bruce is a loose cannon. perhaps a bipolar or split personality with a lifelong sense of entitlement. some fans and interviewers have pleasant interactions with him, while others report some of the rudest most awkward encounters of their lives. one fan describes a possibly inebriated Bruce in a hotel after a show, declaring the Beach Boys were a better band without Carl. and he's most certainly made disparaging remarks about Brian in recent years. here's just one example:

http://www.tcpalm.com/entertainment/beach-boy-bruce-johnston-you-cant-tell-me-aging-kills-your-spirit-ep-404001882-332209772.html

What's the hotel story? Also I'm not sure that that article shows Bruce disparaging Brian but rather just not thinking too clearly about his wording, he has been a big supporter of Brian in interviews before...

sorry, there's no positive way to spin this comment about Brian's 21st century output:

I think as an exercise in keeping him occupied, it's interesting. Here's a guy that should have become John Williams, if you think about it. He should have many Academy Awards for scores he could have written. A lot of things could have happened, but they didn't. And then they dust him off and roll him back out.

it's the most backhanded f***ed up thing to say about a man you supposedly admire. screw you BJ, you sicken me.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2016, 01:33:45 PM »

didn't Reilley claim that Bruce disagreed with and talked sh*t about the Wilsons?

not surprising, since he continues doing it to this day.
Where has he continued doing it to this day, he seems very complimentary of all three Wilson brothers in interviews and shows I've been to.

Bruce is a loose cannon. perhaps a bipolar or split personality with a lifelong sense of entitlement. some fans and interviewers have pleasant interactions with him, while others report some of the rudest most awkward encounters of their lives. one fan describes a possibly inebriated Bruce in a hotel after a show, declaring the Beach Boys were a better band without Carl. and he's most certainly made disparaging remarks about Brian in recent years. here's just one example:

http://www.tcpalm.com/entertainment/beach-boy-bruce-johnston-you-cant-tell-me-aging-kills-your-spirit-ep-404001882-332209772.html

What's the hotel story? Also I'm not sure that that article shows Bruce disparaging Brian but rather just not thinking too clearly about his wording, he has been a big supporter of Brian in interviews before...

sorry, there's no positive way to spin this comment about Brian's 21st century output:

I think as an exercise in keeping him occupied, it's interesting. Here's a guy that should have become John Williams, if you think about it. He should have many Academy Awards for scores he could have written. A lot of things could have happened, but they didn't. And then they dust him off and roll him back out.

it's the most backhanded f***ed up thing to say about a man you supposedly admire. screw you BJ, you sicken me.

Maybe that's the type of tactless remark that came out when the only BB member that Bruce had spent any significant time around for ages was Mike. I can't see Bruce saying that type of comment about Brian if Carl were still alive and still in The BBs with Bruce.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »

Dust him off and roll him back out?! That is jacked up and out of line. I hope both people who bought Going Public destroyed their copies in shame.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »

Bruce has been all over the map about Brian (and other topics, in particular hardcore fans) for years. Again, see Bruce's interactions with David Marks back in 1971 as described in the Stebbins/Marks book. In my opinion, it's the same pattern. Overly-fawning (to the point of almost seeming sarcastic or back-handed) and negative at other times. On the BB Britain board years ago, he told everybody to go see Brian's show because it was so great (had Bruce ever seen Brian's show?; the 1998 gig doesn't count), and then later turned quite negative on the subject. He'll go on and on and on about the old days on that board, about uber-obscure music trivia, and then call people connected to BB archival releases "bottom feeders."

There are other quotes from Bruce that are vaguely along these lines. He hasn't been afraid to be blunt about Brian from time to time. Here's one from Bruce to Howie Edelson, discussing his and band's work on the Brian/Paley material:

"That was a courtesy to Brian for us to be there. Brian certainly wasn't at any kind of peak in those days, but we respected his history and achievements for us to go and record with him and see what it might sound like. We were just trying to support someone who had been successful and good for us. I think if you use your ears, you'll hear that those tapes don't really lift off. It's fine -- but not fine enough."

Again, I appreciate the honesty, but I would strain to even call comments like this back-handed. This from the guy who hasn't released any of his own material in decades and seems to have no interest in it, and who by the time of this quote was contributing little to BB (non-existent) albums or live shows.

To be fair, most if not all of the guys (Dennis might the one exception) went through periods, especially in the 70s/80s/90s, when they had more anger or resentment towards Brian, didn't like the David Leafs writing books minimizing the other guys, etc. They understandably had moments when they weren't as humble about Brian's contributions, and felt like they had been schlepping around on stage and in the studio and putting more elbow grease into it than Brian had. Those things are understandable to some degree. But it's telling that Al has gotten over that and is humbled, whereas even Bruce will vacillate between blindly praising Brian (and Mike), and then being blunt and entitled when it comes to Brian.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:51:14 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »

Bruce has been all over the map about Brian (and other topics, in particular hardcore fans) for years. Again, see Bruce's interactions with David Marks back in 1971 as described in the Stebbins/Marks book. In my opinion, it's the same pattern. Overly-fawning (to the point of almost seeming sarcastic or back-handed) and negative at other times. On the BB Britain board years ago, he told everybody to go see Brian's show because it was so great (had Bruce ever seen Brian's show?; the 1998 gig doesn't count), and then later turned quite negative on the subject. He'll go on and on and on about the old days on that board, about uber-obscure music trivia, and then call people connected to BB archival releases "bottom feeders."

There are other quotes from Bruce that are vaguely along these lines. He hasn't been afraid to be blunt about Brian from time to time. Here's one from Bruce to Howie Edelson, discussing his and band's work on the Brian/Paley material:

"That was a courtesy to Brian for us to be there. Brian certainly wasn't at any kind of peak in those days, but we respected his history and achievements for us to go and record with him and see what it might sound like. We were just trying to support someone who had been successful and good for us. I think if you use your ears, you'll hear that those tapes don't really lift off. It's fine -- but not fine enough."

Again, I appreciate the honesty, but I would strain to even call comments like this back-handed. This from the guy who hasn't released any of his own material in decades and seems to have no interest in it, and who by the time of this quote was contributing little to BB (non-existent) albums or live shows.

To be fair, most if not all of the guys (Dennis might the one exception) went through periods, especially in the 70s/80s/90s, when they had more anger or resentment towards Brian, didn't like the David Leafs writing books minimizing the other guys, etc. They understandably had moments when they weren't as humble about Brian's contributions, and felt like they had been schlepping around on stage and in the studio and putting more elbow grease into it than Brian had. Those things are understandable to some degree. But it's telling that Al has gotten over that and is humbled, whereas even Bruce will vacillate between blindly praising Brian (and Mike), and then being blunt and entitled when it comes to Brian.

Again - this seems all about allegiances. Regardless of the quality of the material, would Bruce have *ever* said those things about the Wilson/Paley material if Mike was writing the lyrics, and Andy wasn't in the picture (it's easy to just deflect blame to an outsider if the end result isn't stellar)? I just don't get when people like Bruce or Mike, who themselves are nowhere near the top of their artistic game, have the unmitigated gall to start putting down their bandmates' (or former bandmates') current material. You only "get" to do that if you are at the top of your own game and your sh*t don't stink - and even then, it's not in the best taste. Yeah, I can appreciate Bruce's honesty all the same, but it just seems very politically motivated.

It's almost as if Bruce made some pact with Mike to do and say enough passive-aggressive things in the media to eventually nudge Brian into getting back together with Mike, and/or to do/say anything that would boost Mike's reputation. Or lest this "conspiracy" theory gets mocked, maybe it was an unspoken thing.   I'm sure Bruce, Mike, and the rest of the band must have spoken amongst themselves about what they could do to get Brian back in the fold. Reverse psychology wouldn't be unprecedented - in 1982, the band collectively "fired" Brian and told him that he was no longer part of The BBs, because in reality they wanted this to lead toward something else they wanted to happen (Landy II). For the longest time (perhaps not anymore), it seemed that all Mike wanted to do was write songs with Brian, and maybe Mike and Bruce thought that with enough subtle put-downs in the media, that maybe Brian would himself realize that his Mike-less material was "sub-par", and that the only way to be at his peak again was to go back to working with Mike.  It's just so dysfunctional. Bruce's comments wouldn't bug me half as much if he was similarly critical of (and rude to) *all* members of the band.

Has Bruce ever publicly said anything critical of Mike?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:55:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1AxIElzRUg

Crazy that I ran into this 5 mins ago by accident! Carl seemed peeved...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »

Was that the infamous Carl stink-eye? Smiley

I, for one, very much enjoy most of Bruce's songs that he wrote for The BBs.  I wonder if that video was reflective of some behind-the-scenes creative conflict at the time; maybe Bruce had some songs rejected by The BBs, circa '80? I think Endless Harmony is a standout track on KTSA (granted, not a lot of solid competition on that record!)

Dick Clark sure seemed taken aback by that statement. Maybe that was because Dick knew that Bruce was a recent Grammy winner, and it was unthinkable that the band wouldn't therefore be utilizing his songwriting? I suppose that considering the fact that Bruce won a Grammy, he's kept his own ego relatively in check.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:27:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »

There was a thread awhile back on the Jan & Dean message board (check it out - things are quiet over there) detailing some unusual fan interactions with Bruce. He went out of his way one to inform one fan he was not a Jan & Dean fan in what was perceived as a snarky fashion.

I see Bruce as odd but not eccentric if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:23:24 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »

Aren't most resumes "inflated"? Huh

Inflated yes. Fabricated? Maybe not. I love what Jack Rieley did for The Beach Boys but the guy told some whoppers.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »

I, for one, very much enjoy most of Bruce's songs that he wrote for The BBs.  I wonder if that video was reflective of some behind-the-scenes creative conflict at the time; maybe Bruce had some songs rejected by The BBs, circa '80? I think Endless Harmony is a standout track on KTSA (granted, not a lot of solid competition on that record!)

Dick Clark sure seemed taken aback by that statement. Maybe that was because Dick knew that Bruce was a recent Grammy winner, and it was unthinkable that the band wouldn't therefore be utilizing his songwriting? I suppose that considering the fact that Bruce won a Grammy, he's kept his own ego relatively in check.

Yeah definitely some weird modesty there from Bruce... I agree about Endless Harmony but the production is probably one of the most dated on that album.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »

Yeah definitely some weird modesty there from Bruce... I agree about Endless Harmony but the production is probably one of the most dated on that album.

I guess he's being modest...but he almost says it in a way that sounds like it's "too good" for the band..."too smooth", as he says.

I have nothing against Bruce. My grandmother and I had a great interaction with him on C50. As we were leaving the "photo shoot" I yelled thank you to everyone and he pulled me back, shook my hand, and said "No...thank YOU." then he yelled "and thanks mom!" to my grandmother, which we still quote to this day.  LOL

I've interacted with him from the audience as well at post-C50 M&B shows. In Lancaster last summer, my girlfriend and I were at the edge of the stage for the encore and Bruce saw my C50 photograph in hand, pointed at me and gestured if I had a pen, he came over to get it and I specifically asked for David's autograph (as I already had M&B thanks to Scott Totten) he went right over to David and brought it back for me.

And one more for laughs...when we saw M&B here in Baltimore in February, we were in the 2nd row behind a delightful pair of tipsy middle aged women...on "Do You Wanna Dance" we were all on our feet and they were clapping their hearts out on beats 1 + 3. We were behind clapping VERY loudly on 2 + 4 at them...Bruce, as we all know is the king of clapping, noticed this and was cracking up!  LOL
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »

I think that Bruce seems a bit bi-polar...  and that's OK.  I have read some shocking stories about his interaction with fans, but also a lot of nice ones.  He's just kind of an unpredictable guy, and you have to ignore him when he's in a weird mood. 
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2016, 12:54:13 AM »

I guess he's being modest...but he almost says it in a way that sounds like it's "too good" for the band..."too smooth", as he says.

I have nothing against Bruce. My grandmother and I had a great interaction with him on C50. As we were leaving the "photo shoot" I yelled thank you to everyone and he pulled me back, shook my hand, and said "No...thank YOU." then he yelled "and thanks mom!" to my grandmother, which we still quote to this day.  LOL

I've interacted with him from the audience as well at post-C50 M&B shows. In Lancaster last summer, my girlfriend and I were at the edge of the stage for the encore and Bruce saw my C50 photograph in hand, pointed at me and gestured if I had a pen, he came over to get it and I specifically asked for David's autograph (as I already had M&B thanks to Scott Totten) he went right over to David and brought it back for me.

And one more for laughs...when we saw M&B here in Baltimore in February, we were in the 2nd row behind a delightful pair of tipsy middle aged women...on "Do You Wanna Dance" we were all on our feet and they were clapping their hearts out on beats 1 + 3. We were behind clapping VERY loudly on 2 + 4 at them...Bruce, as we all know is the king of clapping, noticed this and was cracking up!  LOL

Those are cool stories  Razz I think at his heart Bruce is really a nice guy
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:07 AM »

I think that Bruce seems a bit bi-polar...  and that's OK.  I have read some shocking stories about his interaction with fans, but also a lot of nice ones.  He's just kind of an unpredictable guy, and you have to ignore him when he's in a weird mood. 

I witnessed a few of them, and one of them happened to a board member at a show I went to...combined with some of the stories I've heard from the 70s, man, I don't even know.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx