gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:29:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4th Anniversary of That's Why God Made The Radio  (Read 5959 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »

After a few listens, I realized that for me, From There To Back Again was their best song since All This is That.

I can believe that. It has the mood and spirituality of "ATiT" at times. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »

Bought a still-sealed vinyl copy last week for just £4 - can't wait to rediscover the album, Beach Boys albums tend to sound so much better on vinyl! Listened to the 1985 self-titled on vinyl yesterday and enjoyed it more than I ever did! Cool
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »

If for some reason, Capitol decided to put out a remixed version of this album with most of the pitch correction removed and some of the vocals mixed differently, I'd be first in line to buy it. Pretty good way to go out though. The first three and last three or four tracks on the album are all pretty good
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 09:26:31 PM »

After a few listens, I realized that for me, From There To Back Again was their best song since All This is That.

I don't rate it that highly, but it is a good track. Glad the BB's came back and left strong tracks like From There To Back Again as their final music together instead of Stars and Stripes, or Summer in Paradise.
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »

Keep being positive, The_Beach. To finish career with "Summer's gone"? They can do better than that. Imo if they started with fun ("Surfin") they should end with fun. It just seems cliched to end with sentimental song.

Respectfully disagree. TWGMTR is overall a sad/reflective album because it's about being old and reflecting on your past while coming to grips with the fact that death is inevitable.

Summer's Gone is one of my top 5 favorite beach boys songs and i couldn't think of a more beautiful close to their careers.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »

There are plenty of songs I love on Love You and Holland, so I don't know if I'd go that far, but I totally agree that From There to Back Again and Summer's Gone are GREAT songs.  I also feel that the title track and Isn't It Time are minor classics, and 'Pacific Coast Highway,' 'Strange World' and 'Think About the Days' are at least arguably great songs.  The album has its downsides (too many vocal effects, overbearing nostagia on certain tracks, etc.) but overall it's miles better than any album since Love You.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 06:20:16 AM »

Respectfully disagree. It's their best song since "Baby Blue"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 10:16:44 PM »

It's a strong album - their best since LA - that is, my version of LA, with a 4 minute HCTN, and It's a Beautiful Day added. No cringe worthy tracks on TWGMTR, the vinyl version flows nicely from start to finish. Think About the Days starts things off sounding sweet and sad at the same time - there's just something slightly sad about the sound of the song. Side one seems to be a latter day return to Summer Days and Summer Nights - Isn't it Time, Spring Vacation, Beaches in Mind - which doesn't surprise me at all. Back at the time of Imagination, Joe Thomas said his favorite period of the Beach Boys was just before Pet Sounds. One gripe I have with this album is the use of autotune is so heavy handed that at times I can't tell which voice I am hearing. There are parts of the title track where I still can't tell who is singing! It's odd they had to play with the vocals so much; in contrast, the backing tracks have a more organic sound than anything the group has done in decades. This is definitely not BB85 or SIP. Side two on the vinyl is a nice song cycle; especially From There to Back Again, Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone. It does end kind of sad, as did Pet Sounds. Well, that is life. The guys are all up there in age, the sun is slowly setting. Yes, we can all dream about "what if the reunion hadn't ended the way it did?" We're lucky they got together at all.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 01:32:02 AM »

I got to thinkin' yesterday that The Beach Boys could [and this is just a barely likely MAYBE/me thinkin' out loud 'thing'] do an album sort of along the lines of the new Monkee's 50th  Anniversary album 'Good Times'.  There's a song on it featuring the late Davey Jones pieced together from sessions in 1967, 1969 and 2016.  There are songs featuring just Peter. or Mickey or Mike alone.  And there are songs featuring different combinations of 2 and also of the 3 of them.  So?  It's an album featuring both the collective and individual efforts with the sum of the parts being the final goal.  Most of it was done in Feb., Mar., and April this year.  Seems to me that THAT is about the only way we could get an album of NEW material which would/could involve ALL of the surviving Beach Boys...along with the inclusion of something from the vaults revamped to include both Carl and Dennis as well.  There is a further problem over and above the obvious though.

Crosby Stills and Nash are NO MORE.  Good pals David Crosby and Graham Nash are walking in different directions and barely being civil to one another.  Why?  Graham's book from a few years back.  Full of fiction and BS in order to help it sell says David.  THAT sh*t is about to hit the fan in Beach Boysville.

So then I got to thinkin'...ya...Summer's Gone alright.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:32:51 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 06:09:16 AM »

I got to thinkin' yesterday that The Beach Boys could [and this is just a barely likely MAYBE/me thinkin' out loud 'thing'] do an album sort of along the lines of the new Monkee's 50th  Anniversary album 'Good Times'.  There's a song on it featuring the late Davey Jones pieced together from sessions in 1967, 1969 and 2016.  There are songs featuring just Peter. or Mickey or Mike alone.  And there are songs featuring different combinations of 2 and also of the 3 of them.  So?  It's an album featuring both the collective and individual efforts with the sum of the parts being the final goal.  Most of it was done in Feb., Mar., and April this year.  Seems to me that THAT is about the only way we could get an album of NEW material which would/could involve ALL of the surviving Beach Boys...along with the inclusion of something from the vaults revamped to include both Carl and Dennis as well.  There is a further problem over and above the obvious though.

Crosby Stills and Nash are NO MORE.  Good pals David Crosby and Graham Nash are walking in different directions and barely being civil to one another.  Why?  Graham's book from a few years back.  Full of fiction and BS in order to help it sell says David.  THAT sh*t is about to hit the fan in Beach Boysville.

So then I got to thinkin'...ya...Summer's Gone alright.

Some would argue "TWMGTR" is already a kind of piecemeal BB album (as much as a lot of the songs are excellent); a good hunk of it was sessions musicians cutting backing track, and then later Brian and Foskett doing guide vocals, and then yet later the other guys adding some extra vocals. A few were done anew, and then of course Mike's solo track just has some overdubbed BB backing vocals.

If the Hallmark BBs "Songs from There and Back" CD is any indication, a new album of essentially "solo" tracks strung together isn't worth it. If they guys literally can't even sing on each other's stuff for a few album (at least just overdubbing vocals on *all* the songs), then don't bother. Just cut solo albums.

I don't need to have an album that is technically a "Beach Boys" album because they put that on the album cover.

And yeah, I agree that the upcoming BB autobiographies are unlikely to *improve* BB relations. When they were announced, that was another sign to me that these guys sense they aren't going to be working together anytime soon.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »

I don't care if there is another Beach Boys album. Or any solo albums. What the guys are really about these days is going on tour, singing the old favorites.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx