gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:40:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's contribution to Kokomo  (Read 15943 times)
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »

How much is known about Mike's part in the creation of this tune? How much was written by the time he got involved ?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »

This is the original John Phillips demo.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=NAuqngA9CuM

Mike and Terry Melcher added the chorus, "Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I want to take you..." and changed "that's where we used to go" to "that's where we wanna go."

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »

While it doesn't have Carl singing, I prefer John's version to myKe luHv's cheese infested trip.  Cheesy

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »

Mike and Terry Melcher added the chorus, "Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I want to take you..." and changed "that's where we used to go" to "that's where we wanna go."

That's actually quite lovely.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »

I have to admit that I prefer the finished version as the JF rendition was incomplete... ... ...at least by comparison.  Carl saves the song from being the cheese platter you suggest it is OSD.  But w/o him it just doesn't work anywhere near as well.  Check out the live disc from the 50th anniversary tour.  Sorry.  THAT version is nowhere near as good.  [And that was with the surviving Beach Boys.]

It's why the Good Vibrations performance from last weekend was so shockingly good/different.  Jeff Foskett NEVER sounded THAT good...ever.  Not even once.

NOBODY can 'do' the  Carl 'sound'...not even Brian.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »

Nice find!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »

Listen to Terry's 'LA to Mexico' and you'll hear some of what Terry brought to the party.
The Aruba, Jamaica stuff is classic Mike.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »

Yes, I think as a song writer Mike's geographical knowledge is unparalleled.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 10:39:02 AM »

I like Kokomo, and I certainly respect and like Mike's contributions to it…  not to mention I think it's one of his best – sounding vocals.  But for all the reminding he continually does to tell the world of his contributions to the song, he should really be also reminding the world of Carl's contribution to that specific song.  Once again, it's an instance where both Wilson and Love contributions help make it a great song, but for many people including myself, the emotional hook of the song without a doubt is related to Carl's vocal contributions.

Mike has never seemed eager to talk about that aspect.  When I hear him ramble on about that song, it feels like it's just all about him, his own contributions to that song,  implying everyone that likes it must like it because of his own contributions…  and this gets mighty frustrating.  Has Mike ever spoken about the contributions of Terry/and or John either?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:42:10 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »

The reason why it is thirteen pages is because Mike has proclaimed himself the savoir of the Beach Boys at the expense of the other members.

What interview or press release are you referring to where Mike "proclaimed himself the savior of the Beach Boys"?

"Proclamation" might be a poor word choice but we need go no further than "The Beach Boys: An American Family" or the quote from the Capital bio: "In 1974 Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world."
Everyone knows that Endles Summer is a compilation of Brian Wilson tunes, with several lyricists.

Does it also bother you when it's said that Mike wrote the lyrics to teh Beach Boys' biggest single? People will still know that Brian wrote the tune.

Brian had exactly nothing to do with any aspect of "the Beach Boys biggest single"... and Mike wrote very little of the lyric.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »

The reason why it is thirteen pages is because Mike has proclaimed himself the savoir of the Beach Boys at the expense of the other members.

What interview or press release are you referring to where Mike "proclaimed himself the savior of the Beach Boys"?

"Proclamation" might be a poor word choice but we need go no further than "The Beach Boys: An American Family" or the quote from the Capital bio: "In 1974 Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world."
Everyone knows that Endles Summer is a compilation of Brian Wilson tunes, with several lyricists.

Does it also bother you when it's said that Mike wrote the lyrics to teh Beach Boys' biggest single? People will still know that Brian wrote the tune.

Brian had exactly nothing to do with any aspect of "the Beach Boys biggest single"... and Mike wrote very little of the lyric.

And indeed, like me, Mike must have a very weathered World Atlas next to his desk.  I never thought of making $$$millions from it.  But I didn't have that cousin either.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »

And indeed, like me, Mike must have a very weathered World Atlas next to his desk.  I never thought of making $$$millions from it.  But I didn't have that cousin either.

Silly me, I bought a rhyming dictionary instead of a globe!  Grin 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 11:52:39 AM »

I bet neither of you have 4 songs that went to #1 either.  Grin  I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:01:37 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »

I bet neither of you have 4 songs that went to #1 either.  Grin  I could be wrong.

Two of which were won in court. Under, now, questionable pretences.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »

Which two was that?

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »

Which two was that?

I Get Around and Help Me Rhonda were originally solely credited to Brian Wilson prior to the lawsuit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:59:32 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 12:59:26 PM »

Thanks for making my point, again.  I didn't have that cousin.  Unless you think it was the Atlas.  In that case, shame on me.   Roll Eyes
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »

I have to admit that I prefer the finished version as the JF rendition was incomplete... ... ...at least by comparison.  Carl saves the song from being the cheese platter you suggest it is OSD.  But w/o him it just doesn't work anywhere near as well.  Check out the live disc from the 50th anniversary tour.  Sorry.  THAT version is nowhere near as good.  [And that was with the surviving Beach Boys.]

It's why the Good Vibrations performance from last weekend was so shockingly good/different.  Jeff Foskett NEVER sounded THAT good...ever.  Not even once.

NOBODY can 'do' the  Carl 'sound'...not even Brian.
That is true. Carl had a one-of-a-kind voice. In the later years, he really was the lead singer of the group. Look at the albums, even where he didn't write much - Holland, for example. His voice is all over those songs. Or the 1985 album.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »

You mean the allegations of an admitted perjurer?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »

Thanks for making my point, again.  I didn't have that cousin.  Unless you think it was the Atlas.  In that case, shame on me.   Roll Eyes

Yes, they were a great team, one of the all time best, and lucky to have each other on three of those #1s.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »

Thanks for making my point, again.  I didn't have that cousin.  Unless you think it was the Atlas.  In that case, shame on me.   Roll Eyes

Yes, they were a great team, one of the all time best, and lucky to have each other on three of those #1s.

I will agree that at times they were lucky to have each other. Does not mean they are creative equals, or that Brian needed Mike in any way shape or form approximating as much as Mike needed Brian.

You can talk about chart success that Brian and Mike had together all you want, but the indisputable fact is that the list of songs that Brian wrote (without Mike) that are emotionally impactful and moving to the listener, compared to the list of songs that Mike wrote (without Brian) that are emotionally impactful and moving to the listener, is very, very, very lopsided favoring Brian.

Brian's music, even sans Mike's contributions, connects with listeners in a VERY special emotional way. Not all of it, there are some clunkers, but in a general sense this is true. The same, by and large, with some exceptions but not many, cannot be said for Mike's music without Brian. Not meant as an insult, it's just a fact that needs to be said if one is to look at the two guys' talents (which they both have in vastly unequal measure).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:48:56 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »

Thanks for making my point, again.  I didn't have that cousin.  Unless you think it was the Atlas.  In that case, shame on me.   Roll Eyes

I will agree that at times they were lucky to have each other. Does not mean they are creative equals, or that Brian needed Mike in any way shape or form approximating as much as Mike needed Brian.

You can talk about chart success that Brian and Mike had together all you want, but the indisputable fact is that the list of songs that Brian wrote (without Mike) that are emotionally impactful and moving to the listener, compared to the list of songs that Mike wrote (without Brian) that are emotionally impactful and moving to the listener, is very, very, very lopsided favoring Brian.

Brian's music, even sans Mike's contributions, connects with listeners in a VERY special emotional way. Not all of it, there are some clunkers, but in a general sense this is true. The same, by and large, with some exceptions but not many, cannot be said for Mike's music without Brian. Not meant as an insult, it's just a fact that needs to be said if one is to look at the two guys' talents (which they both have in vastly unequal measure).

Brian follows the Muse
Mike follows the Money
Great team. Brian brought Michael into some of the best, most creative music ever. Mike helped put some dollars in Brian's wallet, with accessible lyrics, good hooks and relentless touring.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »

Brian follows the Muse
Mike follows the Money
Great team. Brian brought Michael into some of the best, most creative music ever. Mike helped put some dollars in Brian's wallet, with accessible lyrics, good hooks and relentless touring.

I think that's a great way of putting it.  Like Mr. Desper said, anyone can write lyrics, but not everyone can write good lyrics.  More often than not Mike wrote some very good lyrics.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »

Wait, go back - who is the admitted perjurer?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 07:35:23 PM »

I assume he means Rocky.
Wait, go back - who is the admitted perjurer?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx