gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:22:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Observer: It’s Time to Destroy ‘the Legend of Brian Wilson’  (Read 37581 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »

Well that's sh*tty.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2016, 05:28:27 PM »

I just noticed one of Mike's daughters posted the article on Facebook along with some of her own "interesting" commentary.

I finally found which daughter and viewed it.  Yeah, this writer is so similar to Salman Rushdie... Roll Eyes

How desperate are these people to rewrite history?  It's bizarre.
What did the daughter have to say? Agree or disagree?
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »

I just noticed one of Mike's daughters posted the article on Facebook along with some of her own "interesting" commentary.

I finally found which daughter and viewed it.  Yeah, this writer is so similar to Salman Rushdie... Roll Eyes

How desperate are these people to rewrite history?  It's bizarre.
What did the daughter have to say? Agree or disagree?

Melinda Love - the SWA flight attendant, as best I can tell.  You can find her easily enough on FB.  She, or some other relative after her post - I don't remember - compared the author to Salman Rushdie.  I found that particularly funny - but that's just me.  I find the attempt at the history re-write less amusing, since I saw a good part of it happening and I'm guessing that she didn't. 

I thank Mr. Desper for commenting, btw.  He was there, too.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2016, 05:41:25 PM »

From the author's comments on Facebook:

Thanks for weighing in, Jack Rabid, and I always respect your viewpoint. The only thing I'll say is that you should give the current Beach Boys another chance; go see them and get back to me. My piece was largely based (and inspired by) my assessment that the current band is far better than they are given credit for, and that there's something very sad about the current Brian touring experience.

Regardless of his views of the current bands, how does that support what he wrote in the article?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting.

I bet you did. Someone has come up with a bigger turd than your recent article.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2016, 05:46:46 PM »

It's a hoot reading the comments on the main page of the article. And there are PAGES and PAGES of comments. It would seem that revisionist history drivel doesn't go over too well with people with functioning brains.

I guess this is a sneak peek at the warm reception Mike's autobio is gonna have  Undecided

"Tim Som...som...som...Sommer of Love"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:50:27 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mentalist
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »

Just hold on a minute. I suspect some of you you don't actually understand what being a journalist actually involves. This is a piece of polemic, no doubt designed to send some of the more sensitive BB fans into fits of apoplexy and to create a bit of stir. And on that basis, it's very much job done.

As for the points made, I have no interest in destroying or ripping down the legend of Brian Wilson; he is a genius, albeit flawed, and my all-time hero. Some of the author's points are lazy, yes, and the Pink Floyd analogy while seemingly apposite doesn't really fit but he is expressing a view, raising several points that have been argued back and forth on here since time immemorial.

However, being what I regard as something of a reasonable fellow, I like to hear points of view that sometimes differ from my own.; I don't have the need to read endless screeds telling me how brilliant Brian is. I already know that. As much as I struggle to comprehend it, some people sometimes have a different take on things to me. I actually agree with some things he says and disagree with others. I would assume (but of course I could be wrong) some of this is based on seeing the current touring versions of both bands, so his closing point as of 2016 is at least a valid one.

What  am I saying? Just don't get your knickers in a twist. It's an opinion 'article' not Hansard.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2016, 05:57:48 PM »

Knickers not twisted.
Sad, your opinion of the job of a journalist: to be a polemicist. Happily not all news venues agree, though I'm afraid many do.
Murdochification.
Mentalist
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2016, 06:04:47 PM »

Knickers not twisted.
Sad, your opinion of the job of a journalist: to be a polemicist. Happily not all news venues agree, though I'm afraid many do.
Murdochification.

Not at all Emily. I loathe Murdoch as much as the next right-minded person. I wasn't saying that ALL journalists are polemicists, but this one most certainly was, rather like a shock-jock – an opinion piece that would undoubtedly ruffle feathers and long-held views. There is nothing wrong in that. Dismantle and debate his views by all means – it's all publicity to him (the main intention I would suggest). That's a tactic used to stunning effect by certain politicians on both sides of the Atlantic, particularly at moment.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »

Just hold on a minute. I suspect some of you you don't actually understand what being a journalist actually involves. This is a piece of polemic, no doubt designed to send some of the more sensitive BB fans into fits of apoplexy and to create a bit of stir. And on that basis, it's very much job done.

As for the points made, I have no interest in destroying or ripping down the legend of Brian Wilson; he is a genius, albeit flawed, and my all-time hero. Some of the author's points are lazy, yes, and the Pink Floyd analogy while seemingly apposite doesn't really fit but he is expressing a view, raising several points that have been argued back and forth on here since time immemorial.

However, being what I regard as something of a reasonable fellow, I like to hear points of view that sometimes differ from my own.; I don't have the need to read endless screeds telling me how brilliant Brian is. I already know that. As much as I struggle to comprehend it, some people sometimes have a different take on things to me. I actually agree with some things he says and disagree with others. I would assume (but of course I could be wrong) some of this is based on seeing the current touring versions of both bands, so his closing point as of 2016 is at least a valid one.

What  am I saying? Just don't get your knickers in a twist. It's an opinion 'article' not Hansard.

This article encapsulates the absolute worst way possible of trying to prove a legitimate point: that Mike and the other Boys should be appreciated for the rad contributions they made. I, for one, appreciate Mike's contributions, I will defend Kokomo, I will even defend some of Summer in Paradise, Cool Head, Warm Heart, not to mention all of his great collabs with Brian, etc... I think Mike is often overlooked and not regarded highly enough.

So for a fan such as myself, I go into the article with an opinion that already is appreciative of the many contributions Mike made to the band. And I read it, and it just seems like a desperate grab at trying to say a bunch of nonsense (and tear down Brian in the process), and it makes me want to rail on about what a piece of excrement the article amounts to.

Whatever point the article was trying to make, even if the author's heart is in the right place, is just misguided in its approach, and only fans the flames of ire. I'm sure it is possible to have an article written about Mike that praises his contributions, mentions that there are many ways in which he is underrated, etc, and doesn't turn into a moronic sh*tshow.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:13:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mentalist
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »

This article encapsulates the absolute worst way possible of trying to prove a legitimate point: that Mike and the other Boys should be appreciated for the rad contributions they made. I, for one, appreciate Mike's contributions, I will defend Kokomo, I will even defend some of Summer in Paradise, Cool Head, Warm Heart, not to mention all of his great collabs with Brian, etc... I think Mike is often overlooked and not regarded highly enough.

So for a fan such as myself, I go into the article with an opinion that already is appreciative of the many contributions Mike made to the band. And I read it, and it just seems like a desperate grab at trying to say a bunch of nonsense (and tear down Brian in the process), and it makes me want to rail on about what a piece of excrement the article amounts to.

Whatever point the article was trying to make, even if the author's heart is in the right place, is just misguided in its approach, and only fans the flames of ire. I'm sure it is possible to have an article written about Mike that praises his contributions, mentions that there are many ways in which he is underrated, etc, and doesn't turn into a moronic sh*tshow.

OK. So you think this piece was 'planted' by Mike to do Brian down?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2016, 06:13:09 PM »

OK. So you think this piece was 'planted' by Mike to do Brian down?

I have no idea, but I do doubt that Mike would be upset at reading the article. Do you think he'd disagree with it?

I might add that it makes me legitimately very sad to think of any BB member, past or present, reading the article and thinking "yay, how great it is that such an article exists".
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:28:27 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »

>>Thanks for weighing in, Jack Rabid, and I always respect your viewpoint. The only thing I'll say is that you should give the current Beach Boys another chance; go see them and get back to me. My piece was largely based (and inspired by) my assessment that the current band is far better than they are given credit for, and that there's something very sad about the current Brian touring experience.<<

Regardless of his views of the current bands, how does that support what he wrote in the article?

He's also said this

>>People hated this so much, so I am posting it again. It's a free country, dammit. If I want to applaud Mike Love and Bruce Johnston for keeping a strong and energetic touring Beach Boys out there on the road making people happy, by golly, I will. <<

So, yes, as Mentalist says, a writing equivalent of a shock-jock; and a rather childish one.
I question either his honesty or his skills as a writer, because what he says he's trying to do in both of these comments is not at all what was conveyed, to me anyway, as the gist of the article.
Had he written the article he describes in his comments, though, he wouldn't be getting the attention.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2016, 06:50:40 PM »

>>Thanks for weighing in, Jack Rabid, and I always respect your viewpoint. The only thing I'll say is that you should give the current Beach Boys another chance; go see them and get back to me. My piece was largely based (and inspired by) my assessment that the current band is far better than they are given credit for, and that there's something very sad about the current Brian touring experience.<<

He's also said this

>>People hated this so much, so I am posting it again. It's a free country, dammit. If I want to applaud Mike Love and Bruce Johnston for keeping a strong and energetic touring Beach Boys out there on the road making people happy, by golly, I will. <<

So, yes, as Mentalist says, a writing equivalent of a shock-jock; and a rather childish one.
I question either his honesty or his skills as a writer, because what he says he's trying to do in both of these comments is not at all what was conveyed, to me anyway, as the gist of the article.
Had he written the article he describes in his comments, though, he wouldn't be getting the attention.

The author also claims that he had nothing to do with the title. Maybe that's true, but regardless of who concocted the title, I can't see that title appearing on the front page of Yahoo inspiring anything but grins on the Loves' faces. I wish that weren't the case, and I wish that just the title alone would make everyone in the BB organization cringe, but I doubt that's the case. Personally, it makes me ill to see an article with the word "destroy" in the title directed towards a Beach Boy band member. It's gross.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:55:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »

I think Brian Wilson deserves to be legendary.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2016, 07:55:46 PM »

I think Brian Wilson deserves to be legendary.

Of course he does. In addition to his unbelievable prolific talent as a songwriter, he could be considered legendary *just* for his innovative producing alone, *just*for his amazing voice alone that conveys emotions bringing tears to people's eyes, as well as his truly remarkable comeback story, triumph from abuse, and overcoming multiple near–death experiences. Plus he is widely considered a mensch... one of the nicest, sweetest, generous, and gentlest people in the entertainment industry.  None of these attributes hurt his legendary status one bit.

Many of those attributes are not shared by Mike, but Mike regardless can be considered a legend for some very legitimate things as well. The list is just a good deal smaller, that's all.  Mike has written some great lyrics and hooks. Mike is "more" of a legend when it comes to quantity of shows performed (often times quantity over quality), and sheer stamina of years on the road. He's got Brian beat there.  Brian can't do the chicken dance like Mike can.  I will also credit Mike for helping the California tourism industry. The whole band should be credited for that, but perhaps nobody more so than Mike.

Yet I don't know why it has to be any sort of competition, because in reality it's no competition whatsoever. What I think Mike and any champions of this article fail to understand, is that there are a great many valid reasons why Brian is held in the high regard he is, in a vastly different way than Mike will ever be.  That will never, ever change, and it should not ever change, because it's the truth.  

Mike will never remotely come within striking distance in terms of his own legacy, even if he obsessively starts playing three shows a day every single day trying to prove something. Jealousy is a human emotion, I understand it, and I also understand Mike being hurt about the crediting snafu from decades ago.  I get that and I empathize. Seriously.  But damnit, he is just digging a deeper hole for himself.  And authors who write articles like this, even if they are acting completely independently, are also inadvertently helping to dig Mike a bigger hole. In my estimation, Mike should go on social media and say that he finds the title of this article despicable, but instead we get embarrassing Trump pictures.  Posing with the guy who wants to remove a Mexican judge for being Mexican, and usher in a new era of McCarthyism.

Why does Brian need to be torn down?  When's the last time an actual professional article was written with the title "It's high time to destroy Mike Love's legacy",  followed by members of Brian's family posting status updates that seemed genuinely happy about said article?  It's just so, so sad that this has turned into the Ewings vs The Barnes'.  This would not be the case to nearly this degree if Carl and Dennis were still alive. 70-year old  Dennis would probably show up at Mike's front door to have a word with him about his constantly bashing The Wilsons in the media.  Come to think of it, the worst thing that might've happened to help further harm Mike's tarnished reputation in the internet age might have been the untimely early passing of two of the Wilson brothers, who, if around today, probably would've kept Mike's Wilson-bashing and original-bandmate-firing much more in check.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:10:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2016, 09:34:21 PM »

I'm surprised the article didn't end with a plug for Mike's autobiography!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2016, 10:41:35 PM »

The Mike vs. Brian saga reminds me a lot of the McCartney vs Lennon saga - with the obvious difference that both BB's are still alive. But ever since John Lennon died, Paul McCartney has had a chip on his shoulder about being underappreciated compared with John.  Supposedly the story goes: John died young, was sainted, and from there the story developed that John was the genius in the Beatles, the visionary, and Paul just booked the studio time. Now anyone with even half a brain knows that's not true, McCartney was always appreciated for his singing, his songwriting (particularly his way with a melody), and bass playing (a lot of fans consider him the best); and the cute Beatle still sells out stadiums around the world when he tours. So who are these people that write him off as a second rate talent?
It's hard to make as strong a case for Mike as for Paul, but still, he is touring constantly, pleasing several generations of fans, and he did win that lawsuit about songwriting credits back in the 90's. What else does he need? He should be thankful that he has been able to do what he loves to do all these years, even after the deaths of 2 of his cousins. he appears to be in good health, has a happy marriage...that's all most of us would like out of life. I suppose he'll carry this till the day he dies, I can see him on his death bed crying to his loved ones "you guys didn't love me as much as you loved Brian...".
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2016, 02:19:20 AM »

This article is garbage and if it appeared in printed form it should be burned as the falsehood, slander and insult it is.
And the writer is a complete asshat. The world would be better off if he refrained from picking up the pen ever again.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2016, 02:44:19 AM »

Mr. Sommer's next piece of brilliantly blazing insight will be titled, "For the  My Love of Laine : It’s Time to Destroy ‘the Legend of Paul McCartney’ = How Denny Lane enabled Wings to reach great commercial and creative heights while McCartney's use of the reefer madness made him a shadow of his former self!  Cool Guy Intro by Mr. Ian Lee

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »

The article title is deliberately provocative and calculated to trigger a response.  However, looking back at the last article, discussing "lesser Beach Boys" almost hearkening back to a "lesser apostle" concept of the 12 Apostles, I don't think the title would ever be endorsed by Mike, as it is completely inconsistent with any statement I have ever heard him make since seeing them live, starting in 1967.   

The author seems to be attempting to call attention to "the five other extraordinary musicians (Carl Wilson, Bruce Johnston, Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Dennis Wilson) each of whom had shown they were markedly capable of composing, singing and helping conceptualize a worthy career direction..."

This, and the earlier article, are calling attention to be drawn to the merit of the Beach Boys who were on the road laboring in the vineyard, not only advancing Brian's work, but branching out to try-their-hand at composing or lyrics.  Dennis had POB which was largely under-appreciated, even if it was critically valued, Bruce earned a Grammy, Carl did some solo work and that is overshadowed, alongside Mike/Al's work.  I also don't think that Brian would ever object to a lens being focused on Dennis' solo work, or Carl's sweet albums, or the others for that matter.  Brian is very altruistic in that way, and gives credit where it is due. 

And, it s unfortunate that such an inflammatory title was assigned the article. Do we know if it was the author or the higher-ups who were looking for headlines, notoriety, controversy and drama?  He does mention other bands who earned their stripes on the road and doing composition on their own as well. The other BB members did and do have "stunning skill."   And Brian is still a "musical genius nonpareil" as the writer says. 

Pet Sounds was only a #10 LP at the outset because of the record company and not the band.  It was under-promoted even though it contained within it's jacket, Sloop, WIBN and GOK.  Capitol had The Beach Boys and The Beatles.  They promoted the Fab 4 and threw the BB's under the bus. 

What I don't get is this concept of "if Brian had been allowed to retire..."  Who retires at 23?

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2016, 06:37:01 AM »

Why don't we let this go. This is playing right into the author's hands. He's probably reading the posts on this board and having a great laugh. Let it die a quick death.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2016, 07:02:17 AM »

this article is not really even worth consideration, full of falsehoods and seemingly no research. more of an opinion piece really, and an awful one at that. but this line may be the most misguided thing I've ever read:

Foskett has been with the Beach Boys for 34 years, longer than Carl or Dennis Wilson were in the band

i mean, wow.

In case anyone needs to know, Jeff Foskett's total tenure in the touring Beach Boys as of mid-2016 is about 10 and 1/2 years (December 1981 to July 1990, and early-mid 2014 to present). Even if you add his years in Brian's band, it comes to about 24 and 1/2 (the 10 and 1/2 plus 14 with Brian).

Very poorly researched. It'll be interesting to see if certain nitpicky folks who have been known to denounce things for minor factual errors and who might now be posting on other boards will be willing to discredit this article as well.

LOL!
IainLee
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting.

I bet you did. Someone has come up with a bigger turd than your recent article.

They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring.

Thanks for the plug. And it turns out what people have been telling me about you is true!

X
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »

Makes you wonder if the impetus for this article is in any way connected to things that have appeared on this or any other forum.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx