gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:21:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Observer: It’s Time to Destroy ‘the Legend of Brian Wilson’  (Read 37586 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2016, 03:16:03 AM »

That went off the rails -
But can we all agree on this:
Brian Wilson - a floppy-haired bright-eyed man-panda of shattering talent
Yes that is perfect.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 04:30:19 AM »

That embarrassment of a "news article" doesn't deserve to even be acknowledged on a public message board. And that's all I have to say about that.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 06:05:50 AM »

Whether they should have kept bugging him to be there is a separate question.
To be precise, they hired people to physically force him to be there.

Which kind of indicates that for all of those years the non-Brian Beach Boys did not agree with this guy's conclusions, both about Brian and themselves.

EoL
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:06:30 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 06:45:14 AM »

And neither did the industry which kept demanding participation from Brian on every recording project and which, in turn and as a reaction, caused that terrible LOVE driven 'Brian's Back' campaign to trip stumble and fall through the mid 70s.  This fictional article is entirely and inexcusably urine infested...not unlike most of my golf balls.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:03:03 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2016, 07:07:20 AM »

And neither did the industry which kept demanding participation from Brian on every recording project and which, in turn and as a reaction, caused that terrible LOVE driven 'Brian's Back' campaign to trip stumble and fall through the mid 70s.  The fictional article is entirely and inexcusably urine infested...not unlike most of my golf balls.

Great point.  Both of these facts, that the guys themselves lusted for Brian's participation, even to the point of disregarding his well being, and the insistence of the record label to include Brian, lays bare the lie that Brian's greatness is a later fabrication, a myth that grew over time.  It is no myth, it has always been the case, and has always been recognized by the band themselves and the record company offering the deals.  This is nothing more than the latest desperate attempt to improve Mike's stock by re-writing history in order to lessen Brian's.

EoL
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:23:17 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2016, 07:16:14 AM »

And neither did the industry which kept demanding participation from Brian on every recording project and which, in turn and as a reaction, caused that terrible LOVE driven 'Brian's Back' campaign to trip stumble and fall through the mid 70s.  The fictional article is entirely and inexcusably urine infested...not unlike most of my golf balls.

Great point.  Both of these facts, that the guys themselves lusted for Brian's participation, even to the point of disregarding his well being, and the insistence of the record label to include Brian, lays bare the lie that Brian's greatness is a later fabrication, a myth that grew over time.  It is no myth, it has always been the case, and has always been recognized by the band themselves and be record company offering the deals.  This is nothing more than the latest desperate attempt to improve Mike's stock by re-writing history in order to lessen Brian's.

EoL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »

Add Some, you should try Titleist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »

There should be a follow up article "It's Time To Destroy Propagandist Hacks Posing As Journalists"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »

There should be a follow up article "It's Time To Destroy Propagandist Hacks Posing As Journalists"

police  LOL

What a frikkin' joke.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2016, 11:03:15 AM »

police  LOL

What a frikkin' joke.

I don't know if it's more of an outrage to read the article itself or a bigger outrage that this same kind of hack propaganda came out of the same author yet again after he got nailed doing it at an "opportune" time last year as well. FFS...like no one notices what's going on?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »

Great point.  Both of these facts, that the guys themselves lusted for Brian's participation, even to the point of disregarding his well being, and the insistence of the record label to include Brian, lays bare the lie that Brian's greatness is a later fabrication, a myth that grew over time.  It is no myth, it has always been the case, and has always been recognized by the band themselves and be record company offering the deals.  This is nothing more than the latest desperate attempt to improve Mike's stock by re-writing history in order to lessen Brian's.

EoL

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2016, 11:11:46 AM »

Al Jardine -- a short-statured, red-haired folk-lover of indeterminate vocal age
Dennis Wilson -- a bushy-haired, muscle-bound tiger-man of raw sensitivity
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »

police  LOL

What a frikkin' joke.

I don't know if it's more of an outrage to read the article itself or a bigger outrage that this same kind of hack propaganda came out of the same author yet again after he got nailed doing it at an "opportune" time last year as well. FFS...like no one notices what's going on?  Grin

And thanks for providing the evidence, GF a page or two back.  I think I conveniently forgot the first, idiotic article.  Does anyone really know who this guy is?  I saw the ancient history rock n' roll business stuff, and I know I'll be accused of referring to "dark forces," but I'd really like to know.  There always seems to be a connection somewhere, as that's how life goes.  If that implies "dark forces," so be it.  David Beard got an M&B tour book gig and suddenly his view of anything Brian turned negative.  I'm not claiming that I have the answer, but it'$ all $o odd.  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »

police  LOL

What a frikkin' joke.

And thanks for providing the evidence, GF a page or two back.  I think I conveniently forgot the first, idiotic article.  Does anyone really know who this guy is?  I saw the ancient history rock n' roll business stuff, and I know I'll be accused of referring to "dark forces," but I'd really like to know.  There always seems to be a connection somewhere, as that's how life goes.  If that implies "dark forces," so be it.  David Beard got an M&B tour book gig and suddenly his view of anything Brian turned negative.  I'm not claiming that I have the answer, but it'$ all $o odd.  

It's happened before at a very specific time when very specific things were happening in the world of the Beach Boys, same author publishing with a very similar tone and bent, and generating the same kind of backlash from fans who called bullshit on the piece. Then another one shows up? I doubt anyone's mind will be changed because some of the opinions don't even line up with the historical facts, or maybe that's the idea...turn the flawed historical perspective into the fact/truth? Who knows.

Either way, the timing is worth noting, and ultimately it was yet another ham-fisted attempt at doing whatever it was intended to do. Unless it was to be so over the top in order to get people pissed off, I don't know.

The question is does anyone agree with this guy?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »

Nobody with an IQ at a higher level than a bag of microwave popcorn.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »

police  LOL

What a frikkin' joke.

It's happened before at a very specific time when very specific things were happening in the world of the Beach Boys, same author publishing with a very similar tone and bent, and generating the same kind of backlash from fans who called bullshit on the piece. Then another one shows up? I doubt anyone's mind will be changed because some of the opinions don't even line up with the historical facts, or maybe that's the idea...turn the flawed historical perspective into the fact/truth? Who knows.

Either way, the timing is worth noting, and ultimately it was yet another ham-fisted attempt at doing whatever it was intended to do. Unless it was to be so over the top in order to get people pissed off, I don't know.

I'm with Billy on who would agree with this idiocy.  I didn't even get angry because it was so pathetic. 

I confess to living by 2 cliches when things don't make sense, and it's always worked, 1) timing is everything, and 2) follow the money.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »

He's right about Syd. They way Floyd gave him this shaft yet gladly use his over-arching image to make $$ is a little sickening...and yet I like some of there later stuff and enjoyed Gilmore's last solo record.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2016, 01:17:18 PM »

This makes me wonder what would have become of the Kinks if Ray Davies had "done a Brian Wilson" and stopped touring, then withdrew to his bedroom? Would Pete Quaife have emerged as a songwriter and singer capable of filling his shoes? Or would Dave Davies insist that all the songs on the albums had to be his?  What if John Lennon had a nervous breakdown during the filming/recording of "Help"? Would the band be re-branded as "Paul McCartney and the Beatles"? With Jane Asher on keyboards and vocals?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »

This makes me wonder what would have become of the Kinks if Ray Davies had "done a Brian Wilson" and stopped touring, then withdrew to his bedroom? Would Pete Quaife have emerged as a songwriter and singer capable of filling his shoes? Or would Dave Davies insist that all the songs on the albums had to be his?  What if John Lennon had a nervous breakdown during the filming/recording of "Help"? Would the band be re-branded as "Paul McCartney and the Beatles"? With Jane Asher on keyboards and vocals?

I somehow can't picture the Beatles paying hired goons to stand over Lennon at the piano holding baseball bats and demanding he write a song for the band's next album...

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »

He's right about Syd. They way Floyd gave him this shaft yet gladly use his over-arching image to make $$ is a little sickening...and yet I like some of there later stuff and enjoyed Gilmore's last solo record.
I fully agree - except for the first sentence; I don't think that that's what the writer was saying about Syd.
IainLee
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2016, 02:20:12 PM »

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting.
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »

I just noticed one of Mike's daughters posted the article on Facebook along with some of her own "interesting" commentary.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »

I just noticed one of Mike's daughters posted the article on Facebook along with some of her own "interesting" commentary.

I finally found which daughter and viewed it.  Yeah, this writer is so similar to Salman Rushdie... Roll Eyes

How desperate are these people to rewrite history?  It's bizarre.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2016, 04:57:38 PM »

COMMENT: 

I think it's time to Destroy Tim Sommer for writing such
CRAP !!
This guy was evidentially in diapers when Brian was making Rock & Roll legends -- and still is.
~swd
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »

By complete chance, I randomly just happened to notice that this garbage article is now trending on the main page of Yahoo:

How does that even happen? Could it be a situation of money paid to a PR company, where money is exchanged for this article to somehow get some higher, more prominent placement on a page as well-known as Yahoo? Or am I expected to believe that this is only a matter of chance? This came up without me searching for the article in any way... I simply went to the main page of Yahoo and scrolled down, and this came up.

In other words, if one were to suspect that there was the po$$ibility of an agenda behind the article even existing at all - let alone appearing as a main article on Yahoo's main page - I would think its placement on Yahoo's main page would lend credence to that theory. Then again, maybe Yahoo knows that I'm a BB fan, and showed it to me that way as a result of their algorithms... yet it's not listed as a "sponsored" ad.

The good news is that the title is so ridiculously inflammatory, let alone the content, I can't imagine anyone of any intelligence taking the article seriously, and perhaps even more so now that the article is getting more prominent exposure. I think both the author as well as anyone cheering for the article's sentiment from the sidelines is gonna see their intentions backfire.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:28:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx