gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 01:59:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Many Cuts from Summer in Paradise Were Performed Live?  (Read 7880 times)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:45:47 AM »

My favorite latter-day album from the Beach Boys, I've been able to find the title track, Surfin, and Under the Boardwalk performed live, and wonder if anyone has ever come across any of the other tracks live. I'd particularly be interested in Lahaina Aloha and Strange Things Happen.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:55:15 AM »

hot fun in the summertime and forever (with John Stamos) were also performed.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:35:56 AM »

Bring on the 30th anniversary tour in 2022!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:32:09 AM »

The Beach Boys - Surfin' (Live 1992) Summer In Paradise STYLE
https://youtu.be/H-jiQdiPS5o

Wish I knew what concert this was
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:09:24 AM »

Hi, Tim.

I took a look at Eric A's set lists and AGD's Bellagio site and compared them. It's hard to tell when the new-sound "Surfin'" was first played but it had been dropped by June 16, 1993. According to Andrew's "Shows & Sessions" page for 1993 the following concerts were recorded:

June
06 - Kaivopuisto, Helsinki, Finland*
12 - Middlefart Festival, Aarhus, Denmark*
13 - Alsterdorfer Sporthalle, Hamburg, Germany*
15 - Frankenhalle, Nurenberg*

It sounds out of doors, so maybe one of the first two?

No idea whether any of this helps.

With thanks to those two gentlemen. :=)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:12:35 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »

That is fascinating. Was Carl performing those guitar solo parts live?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:33 AM »

Great stuff! I've always liked the updated version. Great vocals! Grin
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:42:42 AM »

Seems the guys really worked hard to promote this album. Wish they had put this much effort into promoting the 1985 album.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 11:47:42 AM »

Seems the guys really worked hard to promote this album. Wish they had put this much effort into promoting the 1985 album.

While not lasting long in the setlist, the following songs from the '85 album were performed live in 1985:

Getcha Back
It's Gettin' Late
Crack at Your Love
California Calling
She Believes in Love Again

(Brian also performed "It's Just a Matter of Time" a few times in 1983, though that really wouldn't count as "promoting" the album I suppose).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

The live version of Summer in Paradise is on Made in California.  They should have left that track off the album and included Lahaina Aloha.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 12:05:25 PM »

The live version of Summer in Paradise is on Made in California.  They should have left that track off the album and included Lahaina Aloha.

Lahaina Aloha not only has very solid Carl vocals, but Mike's vocals are very smooth and cool too. If this song had been on Still Cruisin' or released as a standalone single, and not associated with the SIP album, I think it'd be far more well-regarded.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »

Lahaina Aloha not only has very solid Carl vocals, but Mike's vocals are very smooth and cool too. If this song had been on Still Cruisin' or released as a standalone single, and not associated with the SIP album, I think it'd be far more well-regarded.

It's a nice song and Carl's vocals are great, indeed. Parts of it's harmonies and melody always remind me of "Roller skating child".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »

It's a nice song and Carl's vocals are great, indeed. Parts of it's harmonies and melody always remind me of "Roller skating child".

Interesting... I'd never thought of that. Not quite sure I can hear what you're referring to, what parts of those songs remind you of one another?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »

Interesting... I'd never thought of that. Not quite sure I can hear what you're referring to, what parts of those songs remind you of one another?

"And when the wind comes up,
and when the sun goes down"

"And we'll make sweet lovin' when the sun goes down,
we'll even do more when her Mama's not around"

Not talking about the lyrics but the melody and harmonies.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »

Thanks, I'll have to play them back to back. I think I can hear (in my head) the similarity that you're getting at.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 02:15:34 PM »

Hi, Tim.

I took a look at Eric A's set lists and AGD's Bellagio site and compared them. It's hard to tell when the new-sound "Surfin'" was first played but it had been dropped by June 16, 1993. According to Andrew's "Shows & Sessions" page for 1993 the following concerts were recorded:

June
06 - Kaivopuisto, Helsinki, Finland*
12 - Middlefart Festival, Aarhus, Denmark*
13 - Alsterdorfer Sporthalle, Hamburg, Germany*
15 - Frankenhalle, Nurenberg*

It sounds out of doors, so maybe one of the first two?

No idea whether any of this helps.

With thanks to those two gentlemen. :=)

I heard both Hot Fun and Surfin' played at the Concord Pavilion on May 31, 1992 before the Album was released.  Surfin' led off the encore that day.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 02:25:21 PM »

My recollection is that "Surfin'" (the SIP album arrangement anyway) dropped off the setlist first, then "Hot Fun in the Summertime" (in 1993 I believe), with "Boardwalk" and "SIP" staying longer, with "Boardwalk" eventually dropping as well (I believe in 1995). SIP is the only track that survived more than a few years/touring seasons.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »

My recollection is that "Surfin'" (the SIP album arrangement anyway) dropped off the setlist first, then "Hot Fun in the Summertime" (in 1993 I believe), with "Boardwalk" and "SIP" staying longer, with "Boardwalk" eventually dropping as well (I believe in 1995). SIP is the only track that survived more than a few years/touring seasons.

This would be an interesting side topic, of how long a duration new songs from each album stayed in setlists over the years.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 06:42:35 PM »

It seems the SIP songs stayed in the setlists much longer than the songs from SC, BB85, KTSA, or LA. Getcha Back being the exception - they performed it up through 1987; it was gone in 1988. California Dreamin' was still in the setlist in '87; also dropped in 88. But they did replace those with some good ones - This Whole World comes to mind.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 09:13:12 PM »

It seems the SIP songs stayed in the setlists much longer than the songs from SC, BB85, KTSA, or LA. Getcha Back being the exception - they performed it up through 1987; it was gone in 1988. California Dreamin' was still in the setlist in '87; also dropped in 88. But they did replace those with some good ones - This Whole World comes to mind.

I'm guessing this is because Mike largely controlled the setlists by the early 90s, and he didn't want to accept that the album SIP, his baby more than any other BB album, was a failure.  It was probably an ego thing.  Let's not forget, nearly half the album was re-recorded probably because they (maybe mostly Mike?) didn't want it to accept it was a flop.  I've always been curious as to the details of what/who instigated the new versions.  I find it hard to believe that it was anyone other then Mike and/or Terry who was behind that.

That said, I'm always happy when the band kept playing more of their current songs for as long as possible, so I don't necessarily begrudge Mike or the band for it.  I still like about half of the album, and  as unpopular an opinion as it may be, I think it is underrated compared to how maligned it gets.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:19:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:43 PM »

Am I correct in understanding that SIP itself was the only original -- i.e, not a cover or a remake of their own song -- from the album ever to be played live?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »

I'm guessing this is because Mike largely controlled the setlists by the early 90s, and he didn't want to accept that the album SIP, his baby more than any other BB album, was a failure.  It was probably an ego thing.  Let's not forget, nearly half the album was re-recorded probably because they (maybe mostly Mike?) didn't want it to accept it was a flop.  I've always been curious as to the details of what/who instigated the new versions.  I find it hard to believe that it was anyone other then Mike and/or Terry who was behind that.

That said, I'm always happy when the band kept playing more of their current songs for as long as possible, so I don't necessarily begrudge Mike or the band for it.  I still like about half of the album, and  as unpopular an opinion as it may be, I think it is underrated compared to how maligned it gets.
I understand that, just wish they had believed in early albums as much as Mike seemed to believe in this one. Would like to find high quality live recordings of Where I Belong, It's Gettin' Late, Somewhere Near Japan, Livin' With a Heartache, Full Sail, Good Timin', It's Just a Matter of Time, Island Girl...but I suspect they don't exist, because the songs were rarely or never played live.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 12:38:36 AM »

Thanks, I'll have to play them back to back. I think I can hear (in my head) the similarity that you're getting at.

You're welcome. If you'd like to, please post your thoughts. Since the first time I heard "Roller skating child" (I got to know that song after already knowing "Lahaina aloha") it was totally obvious to me. But maybe I'm in the minority.

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 02:08:57 AM »

I've always enjoyed Hot Fun In The Summertime live. The title track isn't bad either in a live setting.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 04:26:31 AM »

I understand that, just wish they had believed in early albums as much as Mike seemed to believe in this one. Would like to find high quality live recordings of Where I Belong, It's Gettin' Late, Somewhere Near Japan, Livin' With a Heartache, Full Sail, Good Timin', It's Just a Matter of Time, Island Girl...but I suspect they don't exist, because the songs were rarely or never played live.

There are some really nice quality recordings out there of some of those songs. but yeah a few of them i dont think were ever or at least not known to have ever been covered live by the band.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx