gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:58:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Many Cuts from Summer in Paradise Were Performed Live?  (Read 7706 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 06:26:52 AM »

My recollection is that "Surfin'" (the SIP album arrangement anyway) dropped off the setlist first, then "Hot Fun in the Summertime" (in 1993 I believe), with "Boardwalk" and "SIP" staying longer, with "Boardwalk" eventually dropping as well (I believe in 1995). SIP is the only track that survived more than a few years/touring seasons.
It seems the SIP songs stayed in the setlists much longer than the songs from SC, BB85, KTSA, or LA. Getcha Back being the exception - they performed it up through 1987; it was gone in 1988. California Dreamin' was still in the setlist in '87; also dropped in 88. But they did replace those with some good ones - This Whole World comes to mind.

I think the SIP sings mostly had a normal "new album" life span in the setlist. Two songs survived past 1993, and one song survived past 1995.

On "LA", "Good Timin'" was in the setlist through 1979 and 1980 (and perhaps early '81 gigs before Carl left), then was brought back into the setlist in 1982 when Carl returned, dropped by the end of that year. That was the only LA song that survived past 1979.

On KTSA, "School Days" stayed in the setlist through 1982; all the other KTSA songs dropped throughout 1980.

"California Dreamin" remained a fairly regular setlist inclusion pretty much throughout the 90s and in fact is still regularly played by Mike's band now (and was rotated in and out of the 2012 C50 setlist).

I think even "Still Crusin" had a similar setlist lifespan. The title track popped in and out over the years, while other stuff like "Somewhere Near Japan" and "Island Girl" were done sporadically through 1990 and then dropped.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »

My recollection is that "Surfin'" (the SIP album arrangement anyway) dropped off the setlist first, then "Hot Fun in the Summertime" (in 1993 I believe), with "Boardwalk" and "SIP" staying longer, with "Boardwalk" eventually dropping as well (I believe in 1995). SIP is the only track that survived more than a few years/touring seasons.
It seems the SIP songs stayed in the setlists much longer than the songs from SC, BB85, KTSA, or LA. Getcha Back being the exception - they performed it up through 1987; it was gone in 1988. California Dreamin' was still in the setlist in '87; also dropped in 88. But they did replace those with some good ones - This Whole World comes to mind.

I think the SIP sings mostly had a normal "new album" life span in the setlist. Two songs survived past 1993, and one song survived past 1995.

On "LA", "Good Timin'" was in the setlist through 1979 and 1980 (and perhaps early '81 gigs before Carl left), then was brought back into the setlist in 1982 when Carl returned, dropped by the end of that year. That was the only LA song that survived past 1979.

On KTSA, "School Days" stayed in the setlist through 1982; all the other KTSA songs dropped throughout 1980.

"California Dreamin" remained a fairly regular setlist inclusion pretty much throughout the 90s and in fact is still regularly played by Mike's band now (and was rotated in and out of the 2012 C50 setlist).

I think even "Still Crusin" had a similar setlist lifespan. The title track popped in and out over the years, while other stuff like "Somewhere Near Japan" and "Island Girl" were done sporadically through 1990 and then dropped.

Lady Lynda from LA lasted at least until 1980, right? It was played at Knebworth. Unless you're talking about regular touring setlists rather than special concerts. However, I think they performed it after that as well, although they changed it to "Little Lady" or "Lady Liberty" later on (there was a topic on the song and its different incarnations awhile back on here that I remember reading).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »

Can anyone imagine if the band had started regularly performing Summer of Love in concert?  And perhaps doing a duet with somebody dressed up as Bart Simpson?
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »

<<Lady Lynda from LA lasted at least until 1980, right? It was played at Knebworth>>

Lady Lynda stayed in the set list through 1981.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »

I did forget "Lady Lynda"; that one appeared as early as 1977 and was a regular in the setlist from 1979 through early 1982 (I think some early 1982 gigs featured the song), and of course it resurfaced briefly in 1986 as "Lady Liberty, and again on at least one UK tour in the early 90s as "Little Lady" (the original song with the name excised, apparently).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »

Can anyone imagine if the band had started regularly performing Summer of Love in concert?  And perhaps doing a duet with somebody dressed up as Bart Simpson?
I never have figured out how Bart was supposed to be a part of the song. Was he going to do the rap about "there's no one I'd rather do it with that you"? Eww!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 02:51:41 AM »

I've always thought that Keepin The Summer Alive (the song) should have been brought back at some point. bizarrely enough, there is at least one known performance of "School Days" in 1996.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 05:19:43 PM »

Do we have any confirmed recordings or first hand accounts of "School Days" in 1996. That seems intriguing and odd!

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »

Seems the guys really worked hard to promote this album. Wish they had put this much effort into promoting the 1985 album.
I remember watching the evening local news before heading out to watch The Beach Boys on that tour. Bruce was on with the weather guy,pimpin the hell out of SIP!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 06:01:47 PM »

Do we have any confirmed recordings or first hand accounts of "School Days" in 1996. That seems intriguing and odd!

It's weird because even though that's a track from the 1980 album,  I wonder if any of the band even thought of that song in that KTSA context when they played it in 1996. I wonder if that's a song that they had toyed around with covering decades earlier.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »

Okay - while that link gave me a headache, I'm beginning to understand some of you a bit more.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 12:21:58 AM »

Here's the setlist I was referring to.
http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/9-27-96.html

I think I asked the contributor about it, and he confirmed it. This was years ago. I lost many of the original emails from the early days of the setlist archive when they automatically deleted one of my email accounts after not logging on for 30 days.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »

Seems the guys really worked hard to promote this album. Wish they had put this much effort into promoting the 1985 album.
I remember watching the evening local news before heading out to watch The Beach Boys on that tour. Bruce was on with the weather guy,pimpin the hell out of SIP!
I remember seeing them on ABC's late night In Concert program the summer after the album came out, they showed a live video of Summer in Paradise, and Mike talked about his idea for the next BB's album, Masterpiece, which would focus more on the ecology theme, kind of a 90's Surf's Up. They showed a phone # to order the box set, which would come with a bonus disc - SIP. It was clear that Mike believed in this album. I just felt sorry for the BB's becoming the Mike Love Show - a hint of things to come. The live version of SIP isn't bad; surely the sentiment of the song is to be applauded, but the actual lyrics - they're like Mike doing a parody of a Mike lyric.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 06:26:32 PM »

Lady Lynda was in the set list in 1982, at least the first part of it.  Not coincidentally around the time that Al and Lynda split up.

I personally enjoy Under the Boardwalk live , think that was in the set list until '94. It had a good vibe to it. It's weird that of all those late 70s/80s/90s song California Dreamin is the one that endured through the most set lists. ( with the exception of Kokomo of course)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 09:54:08 PM »

Lady Lynda was in the set list in 1982, at least the first part of it.  Not coincidentally around the time that Al and Lynda split up.

I personally enjoy Under the Boardwalk live , think that was in the set list until '94. It had a good vibe to it. It's weird that of all those late 70s/80s/90s song California Dreamin is the one that endured through the most set lists. ( with the exception of Kokomo of course)
Not weird - it was already a familiar song to the majority of concert goers. We wouldn't, you know, want to take too much of a chance with something the fans haven't heard 1,000,000 times before.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2016, 05:12:49 AM »

Then they turned Lady Lynda to Lady Liberty and played that a few times during 1986
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 06:23:30 AM »

and dont forget Lady Lynda was preformed live in 1993 as well but with the lyrics changed to Little Lady! https://youtu.be/0TGd5c8UlxE
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 06:59:14 AM »

and dont forget Lady Lynda was preformed live in 1993 as well but with the lyrics changed to Little Lady! https://youtu.be/0TGd5c8UlxE

Thanks for posting that one. It was mentioned a few posts above in this thread that there were "Lady Liberty" and "Little Lady" variants.

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 07:44:55 AM »

Incidentally that was the penultimate UK BB's Show that Carl did, I remember both those Wembley gigs quite well (a Tuesday and a Wednesday I recall)
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2016, 01:15:42 AM »

setlist.fm lists a performance of Strange Things Happen at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI, on November 22, 1993
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:33 AM »

setlist.fm lists a performance of Strange Things Happen at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI, on November 22, 1993

If I remember correctly Eric's site mentions that Al sang a line or so in response to a request.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 05:00:48 AM »

If I remember correctly Eric's site mentions that Al sang a line or so in response to a request.

Yes indeed: http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/11-22-93.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 05:26:18 AM »

That setlist website that Eric did was fantastic!  What a resource!  Any plans to keep it going?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2016, 06:03:06 AM »

Yeah, definitely not a fan of how the setlist.fm website logs that sort of stuff. Even with a little notation that only a line was sung, by giving it a full "song" entry, you end up seeing the song as part of the various "Stats" you can view for artists and albums. Not sure where exactly to draw the line for what constitutes a "performance", but when one person sings a single line, that doesn't count in my book. There are other cases where an entry is warranted (Brian's abbreviated "Proud Mary", the weird 1988 truncated performances of "Okie from Muskogee", maybe even the a capella intro to "Salt Lake City" done in the early 80s).

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx