-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:02:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Palindrome Topic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Palindrome Topic  (Read 39287 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »

Palindromes never let you have it all your own way. You do what you can and after that it's a question of having to compromise. This one, prompted by the ongoing discussion of who exactly sings lead (or rather leads) on "Mess Of Help", like its two immediate predecessors was done without consulting a single book or online source:   

Nosy Carl, Olga, Brian... a stand-alone? Sure, Vosse made ends look cuckoo. LSD need a mess over us, Eno lad. Nat's an airbag (lol). Racy, son

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 05:05:02 AM »

Trying desperately to come to terms with the Blue Cheese Incident, it occurred to me that the best way to exorcize it is to construct (surprise, surprise) a Blue Cheese palindrome!
What I find fascinating about the result is that the two couplets of the little song at the centre (call it an In Memoriam Lenny Bruce for imbeciles) are identical except for two letters in <bleu> and <blue>. H'mm. Odd things, palindromes...

Des/Ned: "No cheese, Ma? Is red leap (e.g. Amor) fondue floop-all-up?"

"I recur bleu
L. Bruce, R.I.P.
I recur blue
L. Bruce, R.I.P."

Ullapool feud. No fromage, Pa. Elder Siamese, eh? Condensed!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 03:10:15 AM »

Palindromes never let you have it all your own way. You do what you can and after that it's a question of having to compromise. This one, prompted by the ongoing discussion of who exactly sings lead (or rather leads) on "Mess Of Help", like its two immediate predecessors was done without consulting a single book or online source:   

Nosy Carl, Olga, Brian... a stand-alone? Sure, Vosse made ends look cuckoo. LSD need a mess over us, Eno lad. Nat's an airbag (lol). Racy, son

The sad news about Ricci Martin's demise, made me wanna sidetrack John's palindrome and turn the rest into a memorial tanka-palindrome for Ricci and his mentor: 'AGA CARL'!
Also featured: Brian, Michael Vosse, Stephen W Desper (~sd), Alan J. and the endless number: pi(-in-the-sky). Thanx for the inspiration, jk!

>'Y, Carl = Aga!'  Brian:
"A sure Vosse made ends look pi!

RICCI R.I P.

Kool ~sd ! 'Need A Mess' over >
us - an airbag, Al ! RACY"<

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 03:51:22 AM »

The sad news about Ricci Martin's demise, made me wanna sidetrack John's palindrome and turn the rest into a memorial tanka-palindrome for Ricci and his mentor: 'AGA CARL'!
Also featured: Brian, Michael Vosse, Stephen W Desper (~sd), Alan J. and the endless number: pi(-in-the-sky). Thanx for the inspiration, jk!

You're welcome, R. :=)

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 03:32:14 AM »

Trying desperately to come to terms with the Blue Cheese Incident, it occurred to me that the best way to exorcize it is to construct (surprise, surprise) a Blue Cheese palindrome!
What I find fascinating about the result is that the two couplets of the little song at the centre (call it an In Memoriam Lenny Bruce for imbeciles) are identical except for two letters in <bleu> and <blue>. H'mm. Odd things, palindromes...

"I recur bleu
L. Bruce, R.I.P.
I recur blue
L. Bruce, R.I.P."

I found another cheese-palindrome ALL in french (don't talk it myself):

>Tu l'as trop écrasé, César, ce Port Salut!<
[Which should translate into: You mashed it too much, Cesar, this Port Salut (a french cheese)]

To understand what's so great about jk's palindrome above, I've given it a closer look. [But first a sidebar: What does the words 'leap' and 'Amor' remind us, if we're old enough? later]]
I don't recall seeing a palindrome (which is NOT a word-units one) where whole sentences are mirrored in the text: Like "No cheese, Ma?" later comes out as "No fromage, Pa!"
And the line(s): "I recur blue/bleu. L. Bruce R.I P." twice, are almost identical. Only the words blue/bleu differ. The line itself is palindromic except for that word and only the repetition makes the whole bit palindromic! In my 'condimental version", I've swopped bleu & blue (which ARE palindromic'ly interchanegable) so that the english words blue & cheese are later mirrored by their french counterparts: fromage & bleu (I imagine the two sons Des & Ned having a scottish Mom (living in Ullapool) and a french speaking Dad). "Odd" indeed!
[And back to the sidebar: The Cupid/Amor-popsong: Little Arrows was a hit for LEAPy Lee!]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:35:09 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 04:16:22 AM »

"I recur bleu
L. Bruce, R.I.P.
I recur blue
L. Bruce, R.I.P."

I found another cheese-palindrome ALL in french (don't talk it myself):

>Tu l'as trop écrasé, César, ce Port Salut!<
[Which should translate into: You mashed it too much, Cesar, this Port Salut (a french cheese)]

To understand what's so great about jk's palindrome above, I've given it a closer look. [But first a sidebar: What does the words 'leap' and 'Amor' remind us, if we're old enough? later]]
I don't recall seeing a palindrome (which is NOT a word-units one) where whole sentences are mirrored in the text: Like "No cheese, Ma?" later comes out as "No fromage, Pa!"
And the line(s): "I recur blue/bleu. L. Bruce R.I P." twice, are almost identical. Only the words blue/bleu differ. The line itself is palindromic except for that word and only the repetition makes the whole bit palindromic! In my 'condimental version", I've swopped bleu & blue (which ARE palindromic'ly interchangeable) so that the english words blue & cheese are later mirrored by their french counterparts: fromage & bleu (I imagine the two sons Des & Ned having a scottish Mom (living in Ullapool) and a french speaking Dad). "Odd" indeed!
[And back to the sidebar: The Cupid/Amor-popsong: Little Arrows was a hit for LEAPy Lee!]

Love the Leapy Lee reference!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HepkOOM3aok

I'm truly honoured by your analysis, R. And the French palindrome is a hoot!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 02:14:44 AM »

Here we go again. This was prompted by The Lazenby's reconstruction of Pet Sounds from Brian's original track list (listening to it now):

Mary, no! Be nice! Berry tastes one good Etna vibe. Waxin' my gal? Not me! Nik's hang-on sat, ego sloop. Now, old man, ape raw rep. Put head----nor I made times, Anna. Semi-Ted am I, Ronda, eh? Tupperware Panam'd low on pools. O get a snog. Nah! Skin 'em, tonal gym. Nix a web, Ivan. Ted: "O, O, Geno, set satyr rebec in ebony ram"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:09:20 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 05:03:48 AM »

This started as a tribute (of sorts) to the Wrecking Crew. Well, six of them made it, so to speak...

"Denial, blah..." (Mike E.). Plas: "No eye, no hole." Putnam tips too. Mere grocer Glen on Ray's Sid Sharp, Oprah's diss yarn on El Greco. R. Gere moots Pitman: "Tupelo honey, eon's alp... Eek! I'm Hal Blained!!"

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 02:20:25 AM »

>'Aye, Carl!  LITTLE HONDA! ...

O.k.a. a.K.o  *AD* !?'

"NO ! Hel'!! ---- T'T, I'll race ya!"<
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:00:45 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 07:13:50 AM »

This stuff will be my downfall. Today's challenge was to incorporate the name of this forum----no easy task. Pity it degenerated into a shouting match:

Mike: "Dragnet! Safari! Today! Rael! Smiley Smile! Bambu!" "Rub, Mabel!" "I'm Sy, Eli!" Ms Leary: "A dot, Ira, fast!" "En garde, Kim!"

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2016, 03:36:24 AM »

This stuff will be my downfall. Today's challenge was to incorporate the name of this forum----no easy task. Pity it degenerated into a shouting match:

Mike: "Dragnet! Safari! Today! Rael! Smiley Smile! Bambu!" "Rub, Mabel!" "I'm Sy, Eli!" Ms Leary: "A dot, Ira, fast!" "En garde, Kim!"

"Downfall"? I should hope NOT - then it'll be mine too! Anyway here goes the versified version. Featuring as I see it: 'M(r)s. Leary'/SMILEY SMILE/ "Pete's RAEL"/BAMBU/BB TODAY!/lyricist IRA Gershwin/Mike's wife: KIM & musicians MABEL McVey/ELi/Sy Smith:

>MIKE: "Dragnet! Safari!
TODAY! "RAEL"! SMILEY SMILE!
BAMBU!"  "Rub, MABEL!"

"I'm SY, ELI!"
Ms. LEARY: "A dot, IRA,
FAST!"   "En garde, KIM!"<
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:39:20 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2016, 04:14:07 AM »

'M(r)s. Leary'/SMILEY SMILE/ "Pete's RAEL"/BAMBU/BB TODAY!/lyricist IRA Gershwin/Mike's wife: KIM & musicians MABEL McVey/ELi/Sy Smith

Interestingly, if asked who Sy was, I would have said the artist Sy Twombly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cy_Twombly

It's the only Sy I know! And Eli (Wallach?) seems to be getting everywhere these days.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 04:16:33 AM »

This next sprawling but technically perfect palindrome includes all five spellings of Rieley in just one Smiley topic and dispels once and for all the myth that either of Carl's two sons speaks at the start of "The Trader":

Daryl, lie right! Ron, I hung a red artefactoid. I see Pleyel (Eire). Lo, Jack Riley elpees dissed O'Reiley. Not S, W or N, it's U. (Jonah's eye, Rielly.) Diss idyll (Eire), yes? Ha, no! Justin rows Tony, Eli erodes Sid. See Pleyel irk/cajole Rieley elpees, idiot café trader. A gnu: "Hi!" North, G.I. Reilly----rad!  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:17:46 AM by john k » Logged

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:47 AM »

This next sprawling but technically perfect palindrome includes all five spellings of Rieley in just one Smiley topic and dispels once and for all the myth that either of Carl's two sons speaks at the start of "The Trader":

Daryl, lie right! Ron, I hung a red artefactoid. I see Pleyel (Eire). Lo, Jack Riley elpees dissed O'Reiley. Not S, W or N, it's U. (Jonah's eye, Rielly.) Diss idyll (Eire), yes? Ha, no! Justin rows Tony, Eli erodes Sid. See Pleyel irk/cajole Rieley elpees, idiot café trader. A gnu: "Hi!" North, G.I. Reilly----rad!  

Ah, finally a Jack Rieley-renga! Always had a soft spot for this guy. I even wrote him a memorial (non-pal.) haiku:

John Frank Rieley III
"Are you sleeping, Brother John?"
       'JACK' of many trades

In MY book, he deserves the full 'per verse' treatment (NO, I still don't mean it like THAT - though according to jk, Jack  DID come in but all corners of the world, including 'U') so he'll get the double tanka+haiku-palindrome [featuring DARYL Dragon, RON Wood(!), Carl's sons JONAH & JUSTIN, Pet Sounds-lyricist: TONY Asher and ditto-conductor SID Sharp, Pleyel (composer and/or piano manufacturer) and jk's pet: ELI Wallach. And YES, Rieley did have at least one elpee: "Western Justice" And upon reflexion, it seems like the two G.I. soldiers: NORTH & REILLY can only be the corporals: (palindromic'ly named) >Radar< O`REILLY (from M.A.S.H) & Oliver NORTH :]

>DARYL: "Lie right, RON!
I hung a red artefactoid!
I SEE Pleyel (Eire) - LO!"
JACK RILEY elpees dissed? (O'Reiley).
Not S, W or N - it's 'U'.

JONAH's eye: Rielly?
Diss idyll (Eire), yes? Ha, NO!
JUSTIN rows TONY
ELI erodes SID (see Pleyel):
"Irk/cajole Rieley elpees!

(Idiot cafe TRADER!}"
A gnu: "Hi NORTH {G.I.}
REILLY ---- RAD!"<
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:14:38 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 03:42:06 AM »

A lot of loose ends tied up very neatly there, Rasmus. Yes indeed, it's Camille Pleyel, whose path crossed that of Hector Berlioz with almost fatal results (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Pleyel).

And now... The truly dire "Happy Endings" gets the chop, palindromically speaking (I've put all the relevant words in italics). Regrettably the Easter Bunny is now an exotic dish. Note the curious exchange between Peter Pan (clearly stranded in Never Never Land) and his shrink:  

Ron, I'm "Sur" Richard! Espagnol Boys order deli bunny-ball ulna. Pa?----nap! See Camelots at nasal R. Even Revenger Reign/I.D. Net are ferret epic. I, Van, am in Neptune happy. [pp] A he-nut! Penniman, Avici, Peter... refer at ending. I err, e.g., never never. L.A. Santa stole mace (España). Pan: "Lullaby N, nubile D, red rosy oblong apse". Dr.: "Ah----Cirrus Minor!"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:33:16 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 12:58:25 AM »

Gary Usher never made it into my BW lyricist palindrome so now the lucky bugger gets this ragged one all to himself, together with eight of his co-writes (in italics):   

Gary: "Aw, an URL!" Lew to Lyle: "No less amnesty!" Belt 'til nets are in upon sandbar ("Chug-A-Lug", "Room" (trad.)). Tips? Secrets? Eh? "Clock", "409"----I lose nine soli (904-k, Colchester Cesspit, Dartmoor Gulag). Uh, crab DNA's no punier as Ten Little BYTs en masse (lonely lot). "We'll-Run-Away Rag!"

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »

Let me be the first. John now has  10 K`s  worth of postings (and counting) to his good name over there in his "NEBENGESCHÄFT" 'running' that other `Beach Boys forum` !!  If that doesn`t call for a H^IQ-PAL.[=jk], I don`t know what does:

>YO! John K[ay]s T*N THOUSAND

'DNAs` ! U'~oh: TnT`s !

YAK ?  N°ho : JOY !!<
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:36:41 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »

Let me be the first. John now has almost  10 K`s  worth of postings (and counting) to his good name over there in his "NEBENGESCHÄFFT"  running that other `Beach Boys forum` !!  If that doesn`t call for a H^IQ-PAL.[=jk], I don`t know what does:

DNAs ! U'~oh: TnT`s !

YAK ?  N°ho : JOY !!<

Thank you, Rasmus. I should imagine you'll be the first and the last. We only make small ripples over there, you know.

I should point out that I don't run the other place but just post there a lot, so I suppose it does have my stamp on it to an extent... The other prolific poster there is Cool Cool Water.

Talking of other places, a major player in Beach Boy Fan Land is having his birthday today. This has been celebrated on "my" forum but not on "his". Odd, wouldn't you say?       

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »

This is my desperate attempt (including some of the usual suspects) to palindromically incorporate the titles and BB co-authors of two books that are all over this forum. It does fall apart near the end (where it reads like a Babelfish translation, largely thanks to the major problem of reversing Wilson) but the final sentence puts everything back into wonderful perspective. Enjoy!

"Emma, I'd Etna Wilson," I blabbed. "O ogre, have a Danko oblate ponder reef! I (Lyme Regis) rip/rev L.A. vibrations. Yo, Brian! O bedlam... Ron, tame vole! Kim, add A, edit B! Beach, CA, ebb tide: add a Mike Love mat, normal debonair boys. No, I tar bivalve R. Pirsig, ere my life err. Ed, no petal book----nada! Eva her good ebb albinos Li wanted. I am me."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:52:25 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »

After all the recent excitement, back to boring old palindromes. That said, this iffy one broaches a hot item in its own circuitous way. Perhaps I should add that CILB is the Florida-based Construction Industry Licensing Board:

Flexi ferrets evolve IKEA, it unimparted as gulp, sirrah. Florida, eh, Raja? Dennocrats sneer "Get a leg." Indiana Brupublicans secure P.A. (I pot). Ullapool is at Sinair----bet no Carlivores! Serov: "Il raconte!" Brianistas, I loop all: Utopia, Peru, Cessna, CILB... up urban aid! Nigel ate greens. Star conned a Jarhead. I, Rolf Harris, plug Sade, trap minutiae, Kiev Lovester. Refix, elf!

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »

Let me be the first. John now has  10 K`s  worth of postings (and counting) to his good name over there in his "NEBENGESCHÄFT" 'running' that other `Beach Boys forum` !!  If that doesn`t call for a H^IQ-PAL.[=jk], I don`t know what does:

'DNAs` ! U'~oh: TnT`s !

YAK ?  N°ho : JOY !!<

Yes, you made it , sir (1o.ooo posts)! Over here you've 'only' got 25% of that number (2500ish) - but getting there ... eventually!
beachboysforum.freeforums.org
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:50:30 AM by rasmus skotte » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »

Neither Brian nor Mike chose the following title for their new biographies - probably wisely so! By the great palindromist WILL THOMAS:

"A Gassy Obese Boy's Saga"

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2016, 09:00:07 AM »

Neither Brian nor Mike chose the following title for their new biographies - probably wisely so! By the great palindromist WILL THOMAS:

"A Gassy Obese Boy's Saga"

LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »

Most of the animals in this off-kilter menagerie can be found in a BB song title:

Worms, i.e. Del's Sahara ebony: "Be, damsel." (Gaelic: "I do, cow.") Tempo woodpecker (Idaho), dawg, ibex, a bird rib... Axe big wad. Oh, a dire KC EP----doo wop me! Two codicil eagles made by no bear. A hassle? Deism row

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2016, 12:26:43 PM »

The theme of this palindrome is Mike's notorious rant at the 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. Regrettably, "interstescene" proved impossible to reverse!      

R.E.M., Mubarak? Nah! Spot pom turbomaniac. Camp Paul fan: "I'm a Jagger." O no! Design ivory ID (Dinah's). Alf (Leo) jams telegram. Did Tina, as harmony, bore Ross/Boss ex-attorney...? OK. O Yoko yen! "Rot, taxes!" sobs sore Robyn. Om, Rahsaan. (It did.) Marge lets Ma Joel flash an ID. DIY roving is e-donor. Egg a jam in a 'flu app. Macca in a mob rut. Mop-Top! Shankar a bummer??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:00:38 PM by john k » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: