gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:21:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Meets Donald Trump  (Read 46764 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2016, 08:33:14 PM »

The bit I can't figure out is how Mike Love, an apparently sincere environmentalist since before it was trendy, could back a guy who dismisses global warming and supports environmentally disastrous drilling and pipeline projects.

Regards,
Jon Blum

Giving Mike the benefit of the doubt, I'd imagine that Mike doesn't believe/agree with all of Trumps ideas necessarily, but that he perhaps feels that the good outweighs the bad.  Undecided Or something like that. It still baffles.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:33:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2016, 08:38:51 PM »

So how long before this gets moved to the sandbox?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »

So how long before this gets moved to the sandbox?

Talking about how a member of the band might feel about a political figure, and how that could affect the band/brand/individual members (I've already seen some people say online that they may skip M&B shows due to being repulsed by Mike's Trump endorsement) is not off-topic. Some may think that's "silly", but it's far from irrelevant to the public perception of The Beach Boys.

The BB logo is on the hat next to Trump; that makes a statement to the world, whether intentional or not. Mike (and unfortunately the brand by extension, since Mike "IS" The BBs these days) is aligning himself with a guy who retweets white supremacists' tweets. That fact alone actually, truly, not exaggerating, makes me physically ill to think about (both that Trump would do such a thing, and that Mike would publicly support a narcissistic orange blob like that). I just assume that Bruce will do the same behind closed doors, but that probable fact makes me slightly less repulsed, since he at least isn't telling the world what a swell guy Trump is, the way Mike is with his giant grin, thumbs up, and BB logo on the cap.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:10:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »

Here is Mike's comment on Trump:

"Unbeknownst to us, a special guest speaker arrived in his motorcade. Donald Trump addressed the crowd like only Donald Trump could. No notes, no teleprompter…just gave it to them straight. On his way out, I had the chance to speak to him for a couple of minutes while photos were taken with the Washington Monument in the background. I'd told him a few years ago about my nephew Kevin Love. He recalled that conversation and congratulated me on how well my nephew is doing."

Seemingly unaware Trump would be there, no endorsement of Trump, they are both at an event for a good cause for which they give a thumbs up for an event photo, chat briefly during the photo, both go on about their business.   

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »

"Unbeknownst to us, a special guest speaker arrived in his motorcade. Donald Trump addressed the crowd like only Donald Trump could. No notes, no teleprompter…just gave it to them straight. On his way out, I had the chance to speak to him for a couple of minutes while photos were taken with the Washington Monument in the background. I'd told him a few years ago about my nephew Kevin Love. He recalled that conversation and congratulated me on how well my nephew is doing."

Seemingly unaware Trump would be there, no endorsement of Trump, they are both at an event for a good cause for which they give a thumbs up for an event photo, chat briefly during the photo, both go on about their business.   

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2016, 09:28:46 PM »

Cam, I pose several questions to you:

1. You seem to be trying to downplay or cast doubt on peoples' interpretation that Mike is endorsing Trump in some fashion. Is the implication that if Mike actually went ahead and flat out said he endorses Trump, that such a direct endorsement might be a potential bad thing in the eyes of many for Mike's own and the band's reputation? Or would that be ok too?

2. Is a celeb taking a picture with a thumbs up beside a very, very famous political candidate, in the middle of a contentious election (a candidate which MANY people are deeply, deeply offended by Trump's ideals)... and then that celeb taking the additional step of posting that photo on Facebook, not something that people could consider an endorsement of some sort?

It's like when Mia Farrow's son, Ronan, dropped a not-so-subtle hint that his biological dad is Frank Sinatra. He didn't flat out say it, but it's obvious based on some tweets/interviews where he ever-so-slightly danced around it. It's not any kind of secret, nor is it rocket science, to draw a conclusion. Mike's coming out of the political closet a bit too. Do you really, honestly think it's a stretch for most people to interpret the posting of a photo, in today's media age, as something of an endorsement?

Are people supposed to see that photo and think "well golly gee... that swell Mike Love ran into that swell guy Donald Trump and posed for a pic. I hope Mike's gonna tell us who he endorses/supports, because I have no idea based on that photo".

Are they?

I'd bet, without any doubt, that if Mike thought he could get away with M&B performing at a Trump rally, and that doing so wouldn't open up a nuclear can of PR worms in today's media age, that he'd be having his people contact the orange blob's people today about fast-tracking the booking of a gig.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:37:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2016, 09:46:20 PM »

Mike's coming out of the political closet a bit too. Do you really, honestly think it's a stretch for most people to interpret the posting of a photo, in today's media age, as something of an endorsement?

I wouldn't say Mike's really been "hiding in the political closet" in the first place. This was the guy who (along with Carl, Bruce and Al) sang "I'm pickin' up Bush vibrations" for one of George H. W. Bush's presidential campaigns. And if I remember correctly, during the 2000 election, Mike made some kind of comment from the stage why ol' Dubya was the better choice than that know-it-all Al Gore.

Even though I disagree with Mike's views, he definitely has the right to hold them. However I do take offense when some prick who hasn't went without a day in his life calls President Obama an "asshole" yet talks about how clean cut his group is and how they were friends of that AIDS denier Ronnie.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »

Gave his address to them straight, no notes or teleprompter.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2016, 09:55:26 PM »

1. You seem to be trying to downplay or cast doubt on peoples' interpretation that Mike is endorsing Trump in some fashion. Is the implication that if Mike actually went ahead and flat out said he endorses Trump, that such a direct endorsement might be a potential bad thing in the eyes of many for Mike's own and the band's reputation? Or would that be ok too?

2. Is a celeb taking a picture with a thumbs up beside a very, very famous political candidate, in the middle of a contentious election (a candidate which MANY people are deeply, deeply offended by Trump's ideals)... and then that celeb taking the additional step of posting that photo on Facebook, not something that people could consider an endorsement of some sort?

It's like when Mia Farrow's son, Ronan, dropped a not-so-subtle hint that his biological dad is Frank Sinatra. He didn't flat out say it, but it's obvious based on some tweets/interviews where he ever-so-slightly danced around it. It's not any kind of secret, nor is it rocket science, to draw a conclusion. Mike's coming out of the political closet a bit too. Do you really, honestly think it's a stretch for most people to interpret the posting of a photo, in today's media age, as something of an endorsement?

Are people supposed to see that photo and think "well golly gee... that swell Mike Love ran into that swell guy Donald Trump and posed for a pic. I hope Mike's gonna tell us who he endorses/supports, because I have no idea based on that photo".

Are they?

Instead of just making stuff up, yes?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »

Mike's coming out of the political closet a bit too. Do you really, honestly think it's a stretch for most people to interpret the posting of a photo, in today's media age, as something of an endorsement?

I wouldn't say Mike's really been "hiding in the political closet" in the first place. This was the guy who (along with Carl, Bruce and Al) sang "I'm pickin' up Bush vibrations" for one of George H. W. Bush's presidential campaigns. And if I remember correctly, during the 2000 election, Mike made some kind of comment from the stage why ol' Dubya was the better choice than that know-it-all Al Gore.

Even though I disagree with Mike's views, he definitely has the right to hold them. However I do take offense when some prick who hasn't went without a day in his life calls President Obama an "asshole" yet talks about how clean cut his group is and how they were friends of that AIDS denier Ronnie.

True, I guess I meant coming out of the political closet in the social media age  regarding a current candidate, let alone a candidate who is arguably significantly more divisive and hated than any of the other ones who you have mentioned. It's very different endorsing a candidate today vs a decade and a half ago.

Trump is now a far, far different figure now than he was when The Boys played his birthday party two decades ago.

I agree that Mike has every right to support anyone he wants, just as fans have every right to shake their heads if they so desire.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »

Are they?

Instead of just making stuff up, yes?

I swear... there's probably not another example of a world famous celebrity like Mike taking a thumbs up photo (during the heat of a contentious campaign) with a major candidate, posting that photo on Facebook, and having that public meeting/social media sharing symbolically actually mean absolutely nothing, while they truly support someone different.

Nobody does that. No celebrity does that.  Especially in 2016, and most especially considering the incredibly contentious nature of this campaign.

That's simply a completely unrealistic scenario, And I can't believe that you truly in your heart think that it's reasonable for people to not draw any educated gussses.  Again… Maybe you somehow think Mike actually supports someone different… But you can't tell me that you really think it's such a reaching thing for people to make that type of Mike endorses Trump assumption.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:09:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2016, 10:14:15 PM »

Ahh! Another President meets a beach boy! Good stuff! :D

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2016, 10:19:54 PM »

I swear... there's probably not another example of a world famous celebrity like Mike taking a thumbs up photo (during the heat of a contentious campaign) with a major candidate, posting that photo on Facebook, and having that public meeting/social media sharing symbolically actually mean absolutely nothing, while they truly support someone different.

Nobody does that. No celebrity does that.  Especially in 2016, and most especially considering the incredibly contentious nature of this campaign.

That's simply a completely unrealistic scenario, And I can't believe that you truly in your heart think that it's reasonable for people to not draw any educated gussses.  Again… Maybe you somehow think Mike actually supports someone different… But you can't tell me that you really think it's such a reaching thing for people to make that type of Mike endorses Trump assumption.

You can swear all you want but I'm sure there are tons of exactly things like that happening all the time when the event is non-political like this one for the POW/MIAs and people are there for the cause and not a political campaign. It's OK, something was made out of nothing, again, but we got it sorted out now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:20:30 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »

Absolute rubbish again Cam. In this context what would the thumbs up signify to you? Actually who cares you have an existing predisposition to spin anything related to Mike into a positive in your mind.
There are pages and pages of your posts, trying to quantify and or justify various actions of Mike that infuriate others. I ask you again why? What drives this obsession?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2016, 10:43:45 PM »

You can swear all you want but I'm sure there are tons of exactly things like that happening all the time when the event is non-political like this one for the POW/MIAs and people are there for the cause and not a political campaign. It's OK, something was made out of nothing, again, but we got it sorted out now.

Greeting John McCain and posing for a photo out of respect for war vets (regardless of political affiliation) during his campaign (because McCain himself was a POW)? That is fathomable. McCain was not extremely, extraordinarily divisive like Trump.  Many people, across the political landscape, respected him. That's basically the scenario that you are suggesting...

But this is different on many levels. Trump is not a veteran, for one.

Again, it's not conceivable that Mike wouldn't know what impression it would make on many people by posting the pic. Of course he would know.  Things he wishes to cover up, he does so. This is not one of them. Especially, as sweetdudejim  noted above, Mike has in fact gone out of his way to publicly effectively endorse virtually all Presidential candidates from this same party for decades.  It's no leap to think he is continuing the trend. More power to him if that's how he feels. I don't know why anybody should be in any kind of denial about it.

Mikesplaining.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:09:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »

Fred Astaire would be jealous of your fancy footwork, Cam.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »

He would be jealous of you three's repetitiveness and speed and height (depth?) of jumping to conclusions.   Wink

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »

He would be jealous of you three's repetitiveness and speed and height (depth?) of jumping to conclusions.   Wink

Moderators, I do not like how Cam is attacking our fellow board members!

Perhaps something can be done about this?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »

OK, so let's get Mike to pose in similar fashion with Hillary and with Bernie! That will solve the fannish conundrum -- posing thumbs up with all current candidates.

Grin

It's still not going to influence my vote, however.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:18:31 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »

Somebody should tell Mike that T. Rump wants to eliminate the EPA.  Don't go near the water.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »

Somebody should tell Mike that T. Rump wants to eliminate the EPA.  Don't go near the water.
Getting rid of the EPA, one of the most inept, incompetent, in-the-tank agencies, would be the first step to getting some real environmental accountability. 

They are useless for worker protection, have caused spills, not only in Colorado, but in Georgia where EPA funded contractors stuck a water main, while grading a toxic 19th century cotton mill, carrying mercury, arsenic, chromium and lead into a nearby creek. They need to go right alongside the VA.  They are influenced by industry standards instead of being the watchdog agency they are charged with.   

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »

OK, so let's get Mike to pose in similar fashion with Hillary and with Bernie! That will solve the fannish conundrum -- posing thumbs up with all current candidates.

Grin

It's still not going to influence my vote, however.

To at least try to steer this back to something vaguely BB-related, I don't think much of anyone really relies on celebrity endorsements.

If one has a problem with Mike's picture, it probably isn't because they think Mike's trying to convince them how to vote. It's more an indication of who Mike might prefer, and at the very least someone he clearly has no objection to. Sometimes that's enough to be objectionable, to some fans and spectators.

For what it's worth (e.g. nothing), Mike was bashing the Clinton administration in concert in 1993, complaining about taxes (cry me a river, dude).

If Mike had posed with any other candidate, I'd equally scoff at the suggestion that the picture doesn't indicate that Mike might be supportive of that candidate. Obviously, if he posed with all of them, then it would be less about who he supports and more about pointing out that he at least doesn't find any of them too objectionable. But as mentioned earlier, that he posed for this type of photo with that type of person is not surprising given Mike's *public* political connections, affiliations, proclivities, etc.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:44:27 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »

For what it's worth (e.g. nothing), Mike was bashing the Clinton administration in concert in 1993, complaining about taxes (cry me a river, dude).

Do you have a link for this?

If true, then that is rich! (pun intended)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »

Do you have a link for this?

If true, then that is rich! (pun intended)

No link I'm aware of. I recall hearing that sort of stuff at multiple shows in that era. I think he makes one such quip (something about having to tour a lot or charge a lot for their CD because of the then-recent tax program/proposal) at the Paramount Theater show from 1993 (the soundboard "boxed set tour" show). 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »

Cam, you didn't address this question I posed to you. While you seem to cast doubt on the pic being anything whatsoever resembling an endorsement... do you think that a hypothetical direct, unquestionable endorsement of Trump by Mike, should it happen, could conceivably be a negative PR thing? I just don't understand why you're so eager to put the brakes on people assuming Mike's photo is tantamount publicly endorsing/supporting Trump, unless you think that is something undesirable for Mike's reputation in the event that an endorsement becomes crystal clear, the way say the Bush endorsement was pretty clear with the Bush Vibrations performance.

Yes, of course there undeniably would be a group of people who would think a direct, unquestionable endorsement of Trump by Mike would be the most wonderful thing ever, a more desirable event to occur than SMiLE having been completed, Denny having gotten sober, etc... but overall, it seems obvious that a direct endorsement of Trump by Mike would largely be a nuclear PR bomb for many reasons.

There are basically no celebs that have publicly endorsed Trump that haven't received quite a bit of blowback in the media. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Mike doesn't need more reasons for people to dislike him; certainly not now, where his autobiography's release is imminent, and when he publicly asks the question "why am I the villain" in the Rolling Stone article. Am I saying Mike needs to keep his pro-Trump feelings in the closet? No, he can do whatever he wants... but I'm saying that there will almost certainly be some repercussions at how people view him (as there already have been from what I've witnessed online), let alone the way things might unfold if Mike performed/appeared at an actual Trump rally in front of a crowd almost certainly containing a number of white supremacists.

One thing I will *never* understand is why someone who wants people to like them so much, who really goes out of their way to publicly wonder why people don't like them, would do obviously controversial things. Controversial things are gonna irk lots and lots of people. If Brian in 2016 posed with Trump doing the thumbs up and posted the pic on FB, there would similarly be a significant amount of nauseated people, including many who I'm sure would not attend any more of his concerts. *That's* how divisive a person Trump is, where any perceived endorsement - even from just a thumb's up pic - would have PR repercussions.

I noticed that at least one fan on Mike's FB page said they would think twice about attending Mike's concerts because of the Trump pic; Mike's people apparently subsequently deleted that comment. That doesn't mean they can delete that sentiment from existing in real life, which may well spread. If Mike wants people to not find more reasons to dislike him, don't you think publicly posting a thumbs up photo with someone controversial might be a bit contrary to his desire of being loved by everyone? It doesn't matter if YOU don't think it's an endorsement; as I've pointed out, it's already had a perceptible affect which Mike's people are trying to censor and pretend isn't happening.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:23:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx