gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:03:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Meets Donald Trump  (Read 46642 times)
KDS
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »

It is amazing how many people lost it when they saw the picture of Mike and Donald Trump on facebook before even knowing the setting or the context of the picture.

Firstly, love the avatar. 

Secondly, and I fully realize this is Sandbox material, but I think the fact that Trump is getting such a rise out of people tells me he's on the right track. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2016, 06:16:37 AM »

Can we please get this into the sandbox, where those who care to get their political analysis from "Where's Waldo?" books are free to do so?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:18:19 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2016, 06:22:40 AM »

Can we sandbox this yet? I actually think I'd rather go into a Trump forum and read their analysis of Beach Boys albums than see the post above here in the main forum. Post such as the post above are not only off topic, but kind of generally insulting to any number of people on this board. The only reason such posts aren't insulting to others on this board is because it pretty much just employs a straw man argument, but that's sort of beside the point.

Can we please get this into the sandbox, where those who care to get their political analysis from "Where's Waldo?" books are free to do so?

Hey Jude - the essence of the American Constitution is freedom of expression not the question of whether it "offends certain people." The Beach Boys are America's Band.  The mere suggestion chills speech.  If the initial poster wanted it in The Sandbox it would be there.  It was an open discussion.  This is intolerance. 

If a political position is so offensive to the "snowflakes" who want "safe spaces" everywhere they go, this world, never mind the nation, is in big trouble. The Beach Boys were fully in the throes of anti-war protest and their music grew as a direct result of that exposure to an "opposing viewpoint" even if in direct conflict with both society and their parents.  It is the American Way. 

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2016, 06:30:39 AM »

It is amazing how many people lost it when they saw the picture of Mike and Donald Trump on facebook before even knowing the setting or the context of the picture.

Secondly, and I fully realize this is Sandbox material, but I think the fact that Trump is getting such a rise out of people tells me he's on the right track.  

Thanks ...I think a lot of people are sick of politicians promising them things and pulling the same crap and are willing to give Trump a chance as he is much different that what were used to seeing.  And with Hillary as the other choice, that just helps Trump. At least that is my analysis of things overly simplified.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:31:15 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2016, 06:32:39 AM »

Hey Jude - the essence of the American Constitution is freedom of expression not the question of whether it "offends certain people." The Beach Boys are America's Band.  The mere suggestion chills speech.  If the initial poster wanted it in The Sandbox it would be there.  It was an open discussion.  This is intolerance.  

If a political position is so offensive to the "snowflakes" who want "safe spaces" everywhere they go, this world, never mind the nation, is in big trouble. The Beach Boys were fully in the throes of anti-war protest and their music grew as a direct result of that exposure to an "opposing viewpoint" even if in direct conflict with both society and their parents.  It is the American Way.  

Your post is not on-topic, even if you add a non-sequitur sentence that inexplicably simply says "The Beach Boys are America's Band."

Please go to the sandbox with this. Nobody needs to read sub-par, gradeschool level political diatribes that have nothing to do with the band nor even with the original topic of this thread.

Again, I'd sooner go to the scrawlings on a gas station bathroom wall to get my political analysis and opinion pieces than read this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:37:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2016, 06:38:19 AM »

Thanks ...I think a lot of people are sick of politicians promising them things and pulling the same crap and are willing to give Trump a chance as he is much different that what were used to seeing.  And with Hillary as the other choice, that just helps Trump. At least that is my analysis of things overly simplified.

Senator Blutarsky - love the avatar, too!  RIP JB.

Yes, I agree, that people are fed up with the double standard of law enforcement where the Clintons are immune from prosecution for their bad deeds.  The more Hillary rages, the better Trump is doing.  The opposition does not get that this is a different kind of election where they cannot "manage" their negative press,  silence the Benghazi witnesses, etc.  People only take so much deception and political oppression, then they revolt, not in equal measure but in greater measure.  This country was built on questioning authority.  
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2016, 06:46:48 AM »

Hey Jude - the essence of the American Constitution is freedom of expression not the question of whether it "offends certain people." The Beach Boys are America's Band.  The mere suggestion chills speech.  If the initial poster wanted it in The Sandbox it would be there.  It was an open discussion.  This is intolerance.  

If a political position is so offensive to the "snowflakes" who want "safe spaces" everywhere they go, this world, never mind the nation, is in big trouble. The Beach Boys were fully in the throes of anti-war protest and their music grew as a direct result of that exposure to an "opposing viewpoint" even if in direct conflict with both society and their parents.  It is the American Way.  

Your post is not on-topic, even if you add a non-sequitur sentence that inexplicably simply says "The Beach Boys are America's Band."

Please go to the sandbox with this. Nobody needs to read sub-par, gradeschool level political diatribes that have nothing to do with the band nor even with the original topic of this thread.

Again, I'd sooner go to the scrawlings on a gas station bathroom wall to get my political analysis and opinion pieces than read this stuff.
This is a "Mike Love Meets Donald Trump" thread.  It invites discussion pro and con.  Donald Trump is a citizen until he is elected.  He has no official authority or capacity.

That is your opinion.  There is room for opposing viewpoints and why we have op-eds in our newspapers and in the electronic media and on television.  You call it "sub-par" because you don't agree with it and would perhaps rather censor those with whom you don't agree.  That is not the way America works.     

This board has always had the reputation as one of the least censored BB fora.  Some of us would like to see it remain that way, even though some are "uncomfortable." Newsflash.  Opposing viewpoints are uncomfortable.  The Forefathers and Framers of the Constitution were "uncomfortable" with political repression and resolved the problem.     
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2016, 06:53:08 AM »

This is a "Mike Love Meets Donald Trump" thread.  It invites discussion pro and con.  Donald Trump is a citizen until he is elected.  He has no official authority or capacity.

That is your opinion.  There is room for opposing viewpoints and why we have op-eds in our newspapers and in the electronic media and on television.  You call it "sub-par" because you don't agree with it and would perhaps rather censor those with whom you don't agree.  That is not the way America works.     

This board has always had the reputation as one of the least censored BB fora.  Some of us would like to see it remain that way, even though some are "uncomfortable." Newsflash.  Opposing viewpoints are uncomfortable.  The Forefathers and Framers of the Constitution were "uncomfortable" with political repression and resolved the problem.     

There is a "Sandbox" forum on this board for political posts/discussion/diatribes/crayon drawings. Your posts deviated from anything to do with Mike Love long ago.

"Least censored" doesn't mean you can just post anything you want here. Indeed, in moving your discussion to another forum, you're not even being censored. You're simply being re-routed.

You can keep insulting those who think your political posts are mouth-breathing, sub-par rants by contending they feel "uncomfortable" or simply "disagree", but at the end of the day the problem is that it's off-topic.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2016, 06:57:03 AM »

I find Mike Love personally detestable, and I find Donald Trump personally detestable. However, this photo does not make me hate either man to a greater degree, and I am just as likely to attend a M&B show now as I would have been before the picture is posted, and I am just as likely to vote for Donald Trump.

As in, if the touring BBs come to my small hometown and I have nothing else to do and the tickets are reasonably priced, I will attend for the sole purpose of seeing a cracking band tackle some of my favorite music-- and I will vote for Donald Trump when he admits that he's been trolling the GOP and the rest of the country all along.

My God, the Hickey script sounds more and more tempting by the day.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2016, 06:59:48 AM »

Emily is ready and willing to debate you in the Sandbox, filledepage. Please don't think the lack of off-topic argument in this thread is, in some way, a concession to your ignorant rants. Take it outside!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2016, 07:00:30 AM »

There is a "Sandbox" forum on this board for political posts/discussion/diatribes/crayon drawings. Your posts deviated from anything to do with Mike Love long ago.

"Least censored" doesn't mean you can just post anything you want here. Indeed, in moving your discussion to another forum, you're not even being censored. You're simply being re-routed.

You can keep insulting those who think your political posts are mouth-breathing, sub-par rants by contending they feel "uncomfortable" or simply "disagree", but at the end of the day the problem is that it's off-topic.

Hey Jude - that is a personal attack.  "Your posts?"  I could attack your web pages in the way they absolutely disrespect the Touring Band.  But I don't.  

Re-routed?  You are not a mod.  I am not insulting other opinions, merely disagreeing.  Please look at the topic name.  There is an rather recent attempt to "re-route" positions that are not agreed with.  I find it troubling and one reason why people are leaving this forum.    
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2016, 07:01:47 AM »

Emily is ready and willing to debate you in the Sandbox, filledepage. Please don't think the lack of off-topic argument in this thread is, in some way, a concession to your ignorant rants. Take it outside!

Marcella - Emily is not a mod.  The topic is "Mike Love Meets Donald Trump." If the mods want to move it, then they should.  I have always backed the moderators. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2016, 07:05:11 AM »

This is a "Mike Love Meets Donald Trump" thread.  It invites discussion pro and con.  Donald Trump is a citizen until he is elected.  He has no official authority or capacity.

That is your opinion.  There is room for opposing viewpoints and why we have op-eds in our newspapers and in the electronic media and on television.  You call it "sub-par" because you don't agree with it and would perhaps rather censor those with whom you don't agree.  That is not the way America works.    

This board has always had the reputation as one of the least censored BB fora.  Some of us would like to see it remain that way, even though some are "uncomfortable." Newsflash.  Opposing viewpoints are uncomfortable.  The Forefathers and Framers of the Constitution were "uncomfortable" with political repression and resolved the problem.    

Hey Jude - that is a personal attack.  "Your posts?"  I could attack your web pages in the way they absolutely disrespect the Touring Band.  But I don't.  

Re-routed?  You are not a mod.  I am not insulting other opinions, merely disagreeing.  Please look at the topic name.  There is an rather recent attempt to "re-route" positions that are not agreed with.  I find it troubling and one reason why people are leaving this forum.    

My page, blog, etc. are all *ABOUT* the Beach Boys, so attacking my pages would be on-topic.

Nobody is attacking you. By "your posts", I specifically referenced that "Your posts" deviated from on-topic discussion. How is using the term "your posts" a personal attack? I'm simply saying, pleading, begging you to move your political stuff to the Sandbox.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:38:36 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »

Marcella - Emily is not a mod.  The topic is "Mike Love Meets Donald Trump." If the mods want to move it, then they should.  I have always backed the moderators. 

Nobody is saying you have to move your political rants, or implying anybody other than the Mods are Mods, nor implying that those who aren't Mods have the power to tell you what to do. People are simply asking you to move your discussion, suggesting that you do.

If you feel you're being "told" what to do, then we can try to start over with a communal sense of mutual respect:

Would you please move your off-topic political posts to the Sandbox? There is indeed an actual forum specifically for political discourse, and even more specifically the current ongoing election. I believe most if not all would agree that posts wholly encompassing political discourse are best placed in the Sandbox.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »

My page, blog, etc. are all *ABOUT* the Beach Boys, so attacking them would be on-topic.

Nobody is attacking you. By "your posts", I specifically referenced that "Your posts" deviated from on-topic discussion. How is using the term "your posts" a personal attack? I'm simply saying, pleading, begging you to move your political stuff to the Sandbox.
Hey Jude - Not really.  It is a Mike/Touring Band diss.  It was not a neutral analysis of what the photo meant on your site.  

Mike called it a "photo op" just this morning.  They were both at Rolling Thunder, supporting the vets.  Brian is also supporting the vets and both BB's finding a different way to do it.  This is not "one size fits all." Rolling Thunder (sponsored by Harley-Davidson) publicizes the POW-MIA - Prisoner of War - Missing in Action, which was a huge Vietnam War issue which resonates with Baby Boomers.  

It is also a specific non-profit to also deal with mesothelioma (cancer) which was a result of asbestos exposure.  They are "raising awareness."  

Just my opinion.  

And, Happy Friday, people!  Beer
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2016, 07:18:16 AM »

Nobody is saying you have to move your political rants, or implying anybody other than the Mods are Mods, nor implying that those who aren't Mods have the power to tell you what to do. People are simply asking you to move your discussion, suggesting that you do.

If you feel you're being "told" what to do, then we can try to start over with a communal sense of mutual respect:

Would you please move your off-topic political posts to the Sandbox? There is indeed an actual forum specifically for political discourse, and even more specifically the current ongoing election. I believe most if not all would agree that posts wholly encompassing political discourse are best placed in the Sandbox.
Hey Jude - if and when the thread is moved to The Sandbox, I will discuss it there. I found it great disrespect to surf patrol, yesterday, to be told the response was "in The Sandbox.  He is, a 50+ year ardent BB fan.     
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2016, 07:19:43 AM »

That was all really rude, but I guess the special snowflakes think it's "censorship" to be asked to post in the right topic.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2016, 07:23:23 AM »

Hey Jude - Not really.  It is a Mike/Touring Band diss.  It was not a neutral analysis of what the photo meant on your site.  

If you're referring to posting Mike's photo on a Facebook page, I'd argue that that's at least on-topic (ranting against sitting politicians and political movements on the other hand is not), even if done in a goofy or snarky fashion. Further, posting the Mike photo has zero to do with the "Touring Band." Time and time again, you continue to bring "The Touring Band" into discussions that haven't actually invoked them in any way.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »

Hey plagey? How come you never responded to my response to your "EPA post"? In case you missed it, here it is again.

That is a serious stereotype alleging that Republicans don't care about clean air or clean water. Clean water and air is good for business.

It was on Obama's watch that the EPA had several toxic spills.  Where is the outcry?

Trump is a high level businessman and celebrity.  He holds no office (yet) and as such is still a private citizen, and an American who is free to associate with whomever he so chooses.  As is Mike. 

Wow it is crazy you are so far off base.

So to you there is no difference between President Obama having NO FUCKING CONTROL over stupid fuckin' private companies like BP spilling oil in the Gulf of Mexico, causing him to have to fix that problem and geniuses like Little Marco, Lyin' Ted and the Donald telling us that "global warming doesn't exist" and "I'm not a scientist, man" when asked about this stuff.

And clean water and air is good for business? Tell that to the biggest of the big Republican funders the Koch brothers, who have paid the largest civil fine ever imposed for environmental penalties for causing HUNDREDS OF OIL SPILLS. For instance Koch was  fined $30 million in 2000 by the EPA for causing over 300 oil spills. But yeah, SURELY they care LOTS about the environment.

And yeah, this thread has lost it's sh*t. So I'm not even gonna pretend this has anything to do with The Beach Boys.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2016, 07:27:06 AM »

Hey Jude - if and when the thread is moved to The Sandbox, I will discuss it there. I found it great disrespect to surf patrol, yesterday, to be told the response was "in The Sandbox.  He is, a 50+ year ardent BB fan.     

That's not disrespect, that's internet etiquette. Some people actually still strive for it.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2016, 07:30:24 AM »

My page, blog, etc. are all *ABOUT* the Beach Boys, so attacking them would be on-topic.

Mike called it a "photo op" just this morning.  They were both at Rolling Thunder, supporting the vets.  Brian is also supporting the vets and both BB's finding a different way to do it.  This is not "one size fits all." Rolling Thunder (sponsored by Harley-Davidson) publicizes the POW-MIA - Prisoner of War - Missing in Action, which was a huge Vietnam War issue which resonates with Baby Boomers.  

It is also a specific non-profit to also deal with mesothelioma (cancer) which was a result of asbestos exposure.  They are "raising awareness."  

Just my opinion.  

Also interesting that I saw one of the people running last weekends POW-MIA thing on TV, and the TV host asked (gingerly) if they only invited "candidates like Trump" which gave rise to the guy saying how Hillary would "raise the deficit just like Obama" or something like that. So I guess without even answering the question he sure answered it: this thing is for right wingers (no lefties allowed!).
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »

If you're referring to posting Mike's photo on a Facebook page, I'd argue that that's at least on-topic (ranting against sitting politicians and political movements on the other hand is not), even if done in a goofy or snarky fashion. Further, posting the Mike photo has zero to do with the "Touring Band." Time and time again, you continue to bring "The Touring Band" into discussions that haven't actually invoked them in any way.
Mike and Bruce are the de facto reps of the Beach Boys with the context of the Touring Band, which has had many "looks" over 50 years.  

It may be "on 'your' topic."  Mike has a right to post whatever he likes on his Facebook page.  It was "lifted" and used on your site with a snarky/goofy spin.   They were both there to support Rolling Thunder which is an admirable thing in my opinion, supporting the forgotten Vietnam era vets, who did not come home to a hero welcome, but being attacked on every front including having no coverage and denial of health benefits by the VA.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2016, 07:32:49 AM »

Who ever said Mike doesn't have a right to post whatever he wants on Facebook? What are you talking about?

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2016, 07:34:52 AM »

Just my opinion.  

Also interesting that I saw one of the people running last weekends POW-MIA thing on TV, and the TV host asked (gingerly) if they only invited "candidates like Trump" which gave rise to the guy saying how Hillary would "raise the deficit just like Obama" or something like that. So I guess without even answering the question he sure answered it: this thing is for right wingers (no lefties allowed!).

Sweetdudejim - yes, I think your are correct, that it did have a "tone" that was Hillary was not their friend.  I guess they are frustrated. I remember Vietnam vets with whom I went to college, very reluctant to even say they were vets.    
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2016, 07:37:27 AM »

Who ever said Mike doesn't have a right to post whatever he wants on Facebook? What are you talking about?

The photo was apparently "lifted" and reposted on your site. It was as though Mike had no right to meet or speak to Trump. Fans don't get to choose with whom they (band members) associate.  I guess I have a problem with the name you are using as beachboysoponion and not supporting all the members.  That's all. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx