gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:15:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alan Or Mark - Know Anything About This LP?  (Read 3449 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:31:33 PM »

*California Dreamin'
The Mamas & The Papas classic recorded by the Boys in 1986 for their 25th anniversary with Capitol Records. It features Roger McGuinn on 12 string guitar (the video had a cameo by "Papa" John Phillips and Michelle Phillips). This song can also be found on "Made in USA" & Greatest Hits Vol. 3 (Best of The Brothers).

*Do You Wanna Dance?
Originally recorded by Bobby Freeman (and later by The Ramones) this cut comes from the "Today" album released in 1965.

*School Days (Ring Ring Goes The Bell)
The Chuck Berry classic recorded by the Boys for their 1980 "Keppin' The Summer Alive" album. A great live version of this song can be found on the "Knebworth" CD

*Walk On By
Why the Boys would record this Dionne Warwick song is a mystery. Why we only get 56 seconds of the song on the CD is another mystery.

*Come Go With Me
The Del Vikings classic as recorded by the Boys for their 1978 " The M.I.U. Album".

*Johnny B. Goode
Another Chuck Berry classic originally the last song heard on the "Concert" album from 1964. "Before we all get kicked out of here, we're gonna do one more for you. Let's go!" is how they introduce the songs with lots of screaming girls, lots of energy & lots of fun.

*Palisades Park
Originally recorded by Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon (and written by game show king Chuck Barris) this song (several beats slower than the original) was recorded for the 1976 release "15 Big Ones".

*Then I Kissed Her
The Phil Spector/Ellie Greenwich song originally heard on the 1965 "Summer Days (and Summer Nights) album.

*The Wanderer
"Here he is, the hard working drummer Denny Wilson". Also taken from the 1964 "Concert" album. Dennis seems a bit off but the concert hall filled with screaming girls did not seem to mind.

*Summertime Blues
The Eddie Cochran classic from the 1962 "Surfin' Safari" album. Mike tackles the lower voiced parts.

(The last two tracks were also available on the 1983 Capitol release "Rarities").

*The Letter
Originally recorded by The Boxtops in 1967. This is an out take from the 1967 "Wild Honey" album.

*With A Little Help From My Friends
The Beach Boys take on The Beatles classic from their 1967 "Sgt Pepper's" album. (From Wikipedia) Wilson's creativity reached its apex during the mid-1960s with the Pet Sounds album (which, according to Paul McCartney, inspired the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFJZEW/sr=8-1/qid=1153279739/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5179084-2214400?ie=UTF8
Jason
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:33:01 PM »

I'm not Alan or Mark, but that's a real release, although I'm unsure of its rarity status.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:10:19 PM »

Seems to be a comp created expressly for sale in CVS and Rite Aid drug stores, although I'm told that you can order it on amazom. Strange.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:24:29 AM »

Those liner notes read like they're from a bootleg release. When did this supposedly come out?
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:52:43 AM »

Those liner notes read like they're from a bootleg release. When did this supposedly come out?

Those aren't liner notes.  They're the descriptions of the songs over at the Amazon page.

Glenn
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »

It didn't supposedly come out - it's out there, for real, and quite recently.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 12:02:55 PM »

Odd, especially since most of those songs aren't that popular.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »

Either...

compiled by a reasonably knowledgeable BB fan, or...

drawn up using the ol' "closed-eyes-and-pin" method.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »

It didn't supposedly come out - it's out there, for real, and quite recently.

Of course, I could have looked a little closer at the image above to see the 2006 copyright date, but evidently I was too lazy.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 06:24:48 PM »

Well, I checked the 3 CVS stores around me on my way home and came up empty.

I was told that the reason The Letter and  With A Little Help From My Friends were not issued on any previous cd remasters is because the BB didn't want those tracks released (remember their ire about the Rarities release in '83!). So to me, someone must have known to pull the Rarities master to put those songs on this comp. I also wonder if School Days is from the KTSA LP or the 45 mix from TYOH.

Any way, if someone has any info, let's hear it!

Bob Flory

PS - Why put a short, short version of Walk On By on the CD. That is just crazy!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 07:36:49 PM by petsite » Logged
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 04:21:24 PM »

Re: PS - Why put a short, short version of Walk On By on the CD. That is just crazy!

Well, based on the song count they probably didn't want the musical selections to fill any more than half the capacity of the CD.  39 minutes, that's IT!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:56:30 AM »

What about the multitude of covers from Party? Or their early instrumental covers? Or Cotton Fields? Or Sloop John B? Bluebirds Over the Mountain? Hot Fun in the Summertime? Remember Walking in the Sand? The Beach Boys had tons of covers in their 30+ years of recording.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 05:24:48 PM »

What about the multitude of covers from Party? Or their early instrumental covers? Or Cotton Fields? Or Sloop John B? Bluebirds Over the Mountain? Hot Fun in the Summertime? Remember Walking in the Sand? The Beach Boys had tons of covers in their 30+ years of recording.

In terms of the two tracks you mention from the SIP album, EMI/Capitol as far as I know has no license/distribution rights for that album, which is owned by Brother, but was not a "Brother Records" release (thus, apparently not a part of the 1970-1986 "Brother Years" material that EMI/Capitol has the license to issue currently). I would imagine that if "SIP" was a part of the Brother Years material, it might have also been reissued on CD back in 2000, perhaps as a two-fer with "Still Cruisin'", which I would think Capitol still has some sort rights to. Or not.

Interestingly, because this release of covers does contain material not owned by EMI/Capitol (namely, the post-1969 Brother material that EMI/Capitol only has distribution rights for), I would think EMI/Capitol would have had to get Brother to sign off on such a release. I don't see a Brother logo anywhere, though. I had always believed that the only material that EMI/Capitol can exploit in any way they want is the released 60's material. But perhaps as part of their deal to distribute the Brother-era material, EMI/Capitol has the rights to use that material on their infamous half-baked compilations. Or maybe Brother signed off on the release and there just isn't a Brother logo. But it sure makes me think the release was sort of "snuck" out considering it has those two "Rarities" tracks on it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 12:48:04 AM »

I am surprised that no one really seems to know much about this cd. I can't find it. Sterling Entertainment doesn't have a functioning website.  It's just that the track listing is so weird. Come on. Someone must have this by now! iTunes had it for download and then removed it.

Waz Up?

Bob Flory
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 04:38:42 PM »

Many of the sites that had this CD for sale now say no longer available. UM............................
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx