gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:55:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strange 'Cottonfields' Release - Help required  (Read 2374 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »

Going through my collection, I came across this beauty (?) - I can't even remember buying it, looked everywhere over the net and drawn a blank.
Other than the fact that it is a less than legal Malaysian label (that did dodgy compilations), I know nothing and does anyone else know of this or indeed have a copy.

PS I don't even know what version of Cottonfields it is  Roll Eyes

[
how to screen capture

[
how do you print screen

[
photo hosting sites
KDS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:45:31 AM »

Since it's spelled "Cottonfields" instead of "Cotton Fields," I would think it's likely the 45 single version rather than the version that appeared on 20/20. 

Of course, I'm not sure of the origin of that LP you have there, so anything goes.

Have you played it?  I was just wondering if it's actually The Beach Boys or some "Drew's Famous" type of soundalike songs. 
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »

Since it's spelled "Cottonfields" instead of "Cotton Fields," I would think it's likely the 45 single version rather than the version that appeared on 20/20. 

Of course, I'm not sure of the origin of that LP you have there, so anything goes.

Have you played it?  I was just wondering if it's actually The Beach Boys or some "Drew's Famous" type of soundalike songs. 

Yep, I agree with your assumption - Love to play it BUT don't currently have a record player  Roll Eyes
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »

Those were all hits at about the same time in 1970... Elvis had a huge hit with Wonder of You.... Three Dog Night's Mama Told Me... etc,
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »

It probably doesn't help much but I found this Uranya EP:

http://www.45cat.com/record/ur19

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »

Those were all hits at about the same time in 1970... Elvis had a huge hit with Wonder of You.... Three Dog Night's Mama Told Me... etc,

Yep, same with The Long and Winding Road.  Since they're no artists names, it must be a soundalike record. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »

Yep, same with The Long and Winding Road.  Since they're no artists names, it must be a soundalike record. 

I'm not so sure. See here:

https://www.discogs.com/label/428525-Uranya-Record

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 06:43:06 AM »

Here's another EP with tracks from that album:

"VARIOUS (Malaysia-69,Uranya UR-20)-EP: Kinks-Lola/Steppenwolf-Monster/Steppenwolf-Sookie Sookie/Crazy Elephant-Gimme Some More (S1 EX+,S2 M-/VG,FO,IS,WOC,TIC)-$22, very scarce"

NB: The Crazy Elephant song was the second unsuccessful follow-up to their hit "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'"...

Source: http://www.raw-tcsd.com/raw1__v.htm

And the third and last EP:

The Beatles - EP  
Elvis Presley: The Wonder Of You / The Beatles: The Long And Winding Road b/w Three Dog Night: Mama Told Me Not To Come / Johnny Cash: What Is Truth?
Uranya Records UR-17 - ()
SLEEVE: Picture sleeve
Details: The Beatles on sleeve
Uranya Records UR-17 - ()
LABEL: Blue Uranya label with silver print

Source: http://www.7inchrecords.com/discography/Beatles/Malaysia/malaysia.asp

I had to laugh at another of their multi-artist EPs. There was a picture of Jimmy Page on the sleeve----but he wasn't on the record. LOL  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:20:31 AM by john k » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 06:33:23 PM »

Yep, I agree with your assumption - Love to play it BUT don't currently have a record player  Roll Eyes
Turntables are pretty easy to come by these days.
http://www.turntabletreasures.com
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 12:20:00 AM »

don't have a turntable!! that should almost be a lifetime ban from the forum.  police
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »

If only we had bgas...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »

If only we had bgas...

Yeah, it's odd not having Chris around to swoop in with an answer. Let's hope he's not entirely out of the picture...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx