-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Which is Worse: Wearing Hats or Dyeing Graying Hair?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Which is Worse: Wearing Hats or Dyeing Graying Hair?  (Read 4318 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:45 PM »

I think I have a pretty good idea how many BB's fans feel about Mike Love always wearing hats to cover up his chrome dome; these days, it seems Bruce Johnston usually has a cap on, too, in solidarity with Mike, even though he's got a good head of orange colored hair. Which leads me to the question: which you dislike more? Bald guys hiding their lack of hair by wearing a baseball cap, beret, or other fashion accessory? Or gray haired guys like Paul McCartney getting a dye job?
And some lucky fellas (ahem) get to experience both - hair falling out, and what's left going gray... maybe i'll just wear this hat  police or buy this wig  Afro
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »

The last pic that I saw of Bruce without a hat, he looked to have had a balding crown. That may be why he started wearing a hat.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »

I've noticed that David Marks tends to wear a ball cap onstage too.  

I'm in favor of going gray gracefully.

Although quite frankly, I'd ignore any fashion phopa for quality music.  

IMO, the last really solid Sir Paul album was when he proud sported gray hair (1997's Flaming Pie).  

Mike had an least one really solid album under his belt with a ball cap (2012's TWGMTR).  
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 01:15:25 PM »

IMO, the last really solid Sir Paul album was when he proud sported gray hair (1997's Flaming Pie).  

Mike had an least one really solid album under his belt with a ball cap (2012's TWGMTR).  
I thought Paul looked quite distinguished with that gray hair, but apparently someone told him "it's a drag, a well known drag".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »

Wearing a wig is the worst! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »

I thought Paul looked quite distinguished with that gray hair, but apparently someone told him "it's a drag, a well known drag".

Maybe one Jenny Mills didn't want to be seen with a bloke with gray hair. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 01:42:49 PM »

I'm bald, and my beard is going gray...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »

I think when people are Paul McCartney's age they tend to look better with gray hair. When your skin has aged to a certain point, colored hair sort of clashes with it.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »

I think when people are Paul McCartney's age they tend to look better with gray hair. When your skin has aged to a certain point, colored hair sort of clashes with it.

Yep, that's why I though when I first saw Paul with his brown hair at the Concert for NY in 2001, it was very jarring. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »

Had to laugh when seeing the title of this thread.
I'm seriously considering whether to continue to dye my hair or let it go. One advantage of the latter - people see the present grayer haired me and take pity, gotta help that poor old lady LOL. Didn't give me the time of day dyed as a brunette.

All the ladies of my family have thinning hair, not going bald but very self conscious of it. Have begun debating whether I should start wearing a hat when going out.

Have been so jealous of Brian's hair Cheesy

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:04 PM »

I agree. Gray is not bad at all, although Ringo also colors his hair and beard, and it looks alright - but he keeps it trimmed very close these days.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 11:52:53 PM »

Grey and bald are fine;

Comb-overs, toupees, and badly dyed hair are out.

Donald Trump's stylist should either be sacked (for bad taste) or given a comedy award (for great taste!).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:53:42 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:43:41 AM »

I say try to keep it natural.  Keep your body in good shape, get some sun and don't worry about your hair...and don't cover it with hats.
The Mike-hat thing was a mistake since day one, he would be more respected if he just went chrome dome and kept quiet.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »

Hats are okay if you need to keep the sun off the exposed bonce.

“We live in divisive times.”
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 05:27:41 PM »

I say try to keep it natural.  Keep your body in good shape, get some sun and don't worry about your hair...and don't cover it with hats.
The Mike-hat thing was a mistake since day one, he would be more respected if he just went chrome dome and kept quiet.

Mike Love looked cool circa 1970-71 when he often went hatless. His remaining wisps of hair were smartly combed back.

I thought felt much the same about gray hair-until mine started to turn a few years ago. Beats going bald, sure.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »

Hats are okay if you need to keep the sun off the exposed bonce.

I have to do that - I have very, very pale skin, thus very susceptible to skin cancer. That doesn't just mean covering up my head - but arms and everything else, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: