gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:07:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Quietus interview  (Read 1239 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

'Wilson said that he “knew Pet Sounds would be a real special album - the voices made me feel that.” “The voices” – the frequent auditory hallucinations about which he has long spoken openly – are symptomatic of the bipolar and schizoaffective disorders from which he has suffered since 1965. Although his mental health has improved in recent years, he still hears “the voices”...'

http://thequietus.com/articles/20279-interview-brian-wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »

Thanks for that, Ang.

Brian's mentioned The Doors before, in our Q&A and in the Exchange interview in this subforum. Now he names a title, one that scares him. I wonder if it has any bearing on the "Fire" episode?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »

'Wilson said that he “knew Pet Sounds would be a real special album - the voices made me feel that.” “The voices” – the frequent auditory hallucinations about which he has long spoken openly – are symptomatic of the bipolar and schizoaffective disorders from which he has suffered since 1965. Although his mental health has improved in recent years, he still hears “the voices”...'

I thought he meant "The voices" to be the voices of those who were singing the songs - the Beach Boys?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »

^ yeah

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:55:58 AM »

I thought he meant "The voices" to be the voices of those who were singing the songs - the Beach Boys?

So did I, at that point. I think everyone does, until they read on. Still, the reviewer could easily have taken the other path. It would have made perfect sense and the review would have been more upbeat as a result. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx