gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:45:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike thrown out of Martoni's Italian Restaurant?  (Read 6909 times)
Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »

Was listening to the Party! Sessions collection this morning. On their silly take of "the Artist," at 1:25, Mike sings,

"I know it shows no class, and sometimes they throw my *** (out of Martoni's)"

Martoni's was, evidently, an Italian restaurant frequented by artists in the music biz in the 60s. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a true story behind this lyric, or is it Mike just being Mike?
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »

I have mixed feelings about Martoni’s,” Love tells the Austin Chronicle. “I think there was some great food on his new menu, some incredible dishes. But at that point in time, there were so many drugs being taken by Tony and other members of the kitchen staff, and there was a lot of collaborating with people other than myself. I had literally nothing to do on anything on the expanded menu, so naturally I was a little upset.”

“I collaborated with Tony on so many dishes (pizza, meatballs and spaghetti, lasagna), but I wasn’t under the influence of anything during the cooking of that stuff,” he adds. “There was such weirdness going on at the time. I’m not trying to poo-poo it, but it was just a little too weird for my taste. Then Tony shelved the menu, and whenever you have an unfinished creation it takes on mythological proportions. I do think there’s some beautiful dishes, like ‘Trippa’ and ‘Coda alla vaccinara,’ but there’s a negative side to it too.”
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »

Michael didn't resonate with the menu choices, even though Tony was a NICE PERSON. LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »

I have mixed feelings about Martoni’s,” Love tells the Austin Chronicle. “I think there was some great food on his new menu, some incredible dishes. But at that point in time, there were so many drugs being taken by Tony and other members of the kitchen staff, and there was a lot of collaborating with people other than myself. I had literally nothing to do on anything on the expanded menu, so naturally I was a little upset.”

“I collaborated with Tony on so many dishes (pizza, meatballs and spaghetti, lasagna), but I wasn’t under the influence of anything during the cooking of that stuff,” he adds. “There was such weirdness going on at the time. I’m not trying to poo-poo it, but it was just a little too weird for my taste. Then Tony shelved the menu, and whenever you have an unfinished creation it takes on mythological proportions. I do think there’s some beautiful dishes, like ‘Trippa’ and ‘Coda alla vaccinara,’ but there’s a negative side to it too.”

LOL Grin LOL Grin
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

Nice one!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »

Tony should never have f***ed with the Polenta!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:19:07 PM »

I misread that as 'placenta'....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »

The horror, the horror!  Shocked  Ahhh! Thanks for burning that image into my eyes, Billy.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »

Tony should never have f***ed with the Polenta!

People have slept with the fishes for fucking with the polenta.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »

Great one!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »

Was listening to the Party! Sessions collection this morning. On their silly take of "the Artist," at 1:25, Mike sings,

Martoni's was, evidently, an Italian restaurant frequented by artists in the music biz in the 60s. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a true story behind this lyric, or is it Mike just being Mike?

Mike is very clearly referring to the thing that the long-closed Martoni's restaurant is most famous for - among '60s music fans, anyway.

A bit of background - for years, until it closed (supposedly because some things got knocked around in the 1994 LA earthquake, but it'd been running out of steam for awhile) Martoni's was the leading showbiz hangout where Italian eateries in LA were concerned. Part of this had to do with the rumor that Frank Sinatra (and some unnamed gentlemen of his acquaintance) co-owned the place.  

The crowd at Martoni's leaned a bit toward old-school showbiz, but rockers were tolerated - up to a point.

One evening, apparently in late June or early July 1965, Sonny Bono was thrown out of Martoni's. Two versions of why have been most often circulated. Rodney Bingenheimer has said for years that he went to the eatery with Sonny and the latter was kicked out because Ciro Marino, the head chef, thought Son's hair and bobcat vest presented sanitary issues. (Or maybe some bobcat in the corner was complaining.)

The other version is that Sonny was in there with Cher and some minor hoods from out of town were discussing her attire in uncomplimentary terms in tones so loud Sonny came over and started duking it out, which resulted in him and Cher being ejected.

Either way, Sonny promptly wrote a song about what had happened, went right to the studio, and recorded it. Within weeks, his one solo 45 to be a hit, "Laugh At Me," was racing up the charts.  I still think it's the greatest thing Sonny ever did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=berHdguUts0

Sonny's intro and verse of the song is what Mike's doing a takeoff on with "The Artist."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:22:00 PM by rn57 » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »

Mike is very clearly referring to the thing that the long-closed Martoni's restaurant is most famous for - among '60s music fans, anyway.

A bit of background - for years, until it closed (supposedly because some things got knocked around in the 1994 LA earthquake, but it'd been running out of steam for awhile) Martoni's was the leading showbiz hangout where Italian eateries in LA were concerned. Part of this had to do with the rumor that Frank Sinatra (and some unnamed gentlemen of his acquaintance) co-owned the place.  

The crowd at Martoni's leaned a bit toward old-school showbiz, but rockers were tolerated - up to a point.

One evening, apparently in late June or early July 1965, Sonny Bono was thrown out of Martoni's. Two versions of why have been most often circulated. Rodney Bingenheimer has said for years that he went to the eatery with Sonny and the latter was kicked out because Ciro Marino, the head chef, thought Son's hair and bobcat vest presented sanitary issues. (Or maybe some bobcat in the corner was complaining.)

The other version is that Sonny was in there with Cher and some minor hoods from out of town were discussing her attire in uncomplimentary terms in tones so loud Sonny came over and started duking it out, which resulted in him and Cher being ejected.

Either way, Sonny promptly wrote a song about what had happened, went right to the studio, and recorded it. Within weeks, his one solo 45 to be a hit, "Laugh At Me," was racing up the charts.  I still think it's the greatest thing Sonny ever did:

Sonny's intro and verse of the song is what Mike's doing a takeoff on with "The Artist."
Good background. Thanks!
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »

Michael didn't resonate with the menu choices, even though Tony was a NICE PERSON. LOL

So I asked Tony what was in the dishes and he said "I don't know, I haven't a clue".
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »

And I said, "EXACTLY!"

Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 08:24:28 AM »

Wow, cool! It's cool how an offhanded line from a studio outtake can bring historical context.  Appreciate the thoughts, rn57.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »

There is a rock connection to Martoni's that hasn't been mentioned. Guys like Sonny and Rodney wouldn't be going there to hang out with Armee Archerd. Martoni's was nearby to several LA rock radio stations in the 60's. In between shifts and after their shifts, the rock DJ's were known to drop in to Martoni's for drinks. The program directors and other staff would be there too. According to quite a few accounts, there could be a lot of booze flowing depending on who was there.

A guy like Sonny worked as a promotions man, a record plugger. He had to "sell" various interests into playing whatever record he was given to plug, or even to get shops to stock it and promote it. If the major rock DJ's and program directors from the rock stations were known to hang out at Martoni's, those trying to get a record played on the air could have access to them, and not only access, but once the booze started flowing you could develop fast friendships which would turn into a DJ or PD being receptive to playing a new record on their show or station.

Real Don Steele from KHJ was one of the personalities known to frequent Martoni's, especially since his shift was drive-time, 3-6 PM. It was a hangout for KHJ staff. Steele was the one who first played "I Got You Babe" - Sonny took an acetate copy of the song to Steele (just as Brian Wilson had also personally delivered various new singles 'hot off the press' to the station), and Steele played it on the air first time anywhere, and the song got a huge reception from the listeners. It went on to be one of the most popular singles of the 60's. But - The reason why Sonny took it to Steele was Ahmet Ertegun and Sonny were arguing about what should be the "A Side" of the next S&C single. Sonny wanted Babe, Ahmet wanted the flip side to be the lead. Sonny proved his point when Steele played it on KHJ.

So that access where some of the people who could make or break a record on LA radio and TV could come all in one location at Martoni's if you knew how to play the game.

Funny story, unrelated but related. Steele would have a habit of getting pretty blitzed, and stories of him getting bounced exist as legend - It wasn't just Sonny. This from Ben Fong-Torres, paraphrasing by memory here: One night the KHJ team was in Martoni's, and Steele had been drinking and was tipsy, to put it mildly. That same night, Frank Sinatra had come in to Martoni's with a group, and they were given a private room. Steele had to use the bathroom, and on his way back he was a little too loaded to walk straight, and ended up stumbling into Sinatra's private room, and landing on Sinatra's table, where the food was also laid out.

Sinatra's bodyguards jumped up and were going to "eject" Steele, but instead Steele began singing Witchcraft at the top of his lungs. Sinatra laughed and told the bodyguards to let Steele go, he can stay, and they had a good time and laugh over the whole thing.

Just a few points to add and mention how Martoni's was at least in the mid-60's a pretty important music-biz hangout where rock musicians could have the fate of their records decided by radio and TV people over a lot of booze.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »

Is it just me or does that first guy shown in the audience look like Fred Vail?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »

And I said, "EXACTLY!"

So I threw out the food and said it was nothing more than cooking alliteration. So I called up my old friend, Bill Jackson....
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 03:05:07 PM »

"That pizza that Tony used to make was a very powerful dish, very dynamic. That was the last of the super-dynamism cooking from Tony I think, and that was 1965".
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »

"That pizza that Tony used to make was a very powerful dish, very dynamic. That was the last of the super-dynamism cooking from Tony I think, and that was 1965".
Ultimately I think why that pizza was so important to everybody was the positivity in the coking, and that was ME.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »

There is a rock connection to Martoni's that hasn't been mentioned. Guys like Sonny and Rodney wouldn't be going there to hang out with Armee Archerd. Martoni's was nearby to several LA rock radio stations in the 60's. In between shifts and after their shifts, the rock DJ's were known to drop in to Martoni's for drinks. The program directors and other staff would be there too. According to quite a few accounts, there could be a lot of booze flowing depending on who was there.

A guy like Sonny worked as a promotions man, a record plugger. He had to "sell" various interests into playing whatever record he was given to plug, or even to get shops to stock it and promote it. If the major rock DJ's and program directors from the rock stations were known to hang out at Martoni's, those trying to get a record played on the air could have access to them, and not only access, but once the booze started flowing you could develop fast friendships which would turn into a DJ or PD being receptive to playing a new record on their show or station.

Real Don Steele from KHJ was one of the personalities known to frequent Martoni's, especially since his shift was drive-time, 3-6 PM. It was a hangout for KHJ staff. Steele was the one who first played "I Got You Babe" - Sonny took an acetate copy of the song to Steele (just as Brian Wilson had also personally delivered various new singles 'hot off the press' to the station), and Steele played it on the air first time anywhere, and the song got a huge reception from the listeners. It went on to be one of the most popular singles of the 60's. But - The reason why Sonny took it to Steele was Ahmet Ertegun and Sonny were arguing about what should be the "A Side" of the next S&C single. Sonny wanted Babe, Ahmet wanted the flip side to be the lead. Sonny proved his point when Steele played it on KHJ.

So that access where some of the people who could make or break a record on LA radio and TV could come all in one location at Martoni's if you knew how to play the game.

Funny story, unrelated but related. Steele would have a habit of getting pretty blitzed, and stories of him getting bounced exist as legend - It wasn't just Sonny. This from Ben Fong-Torres, paraphrasing by memory here: One night the KHJ team was in Martoni's, and Steele had been drinking and was tipsy, to put it mildly. That same night, Frank Sinatra had come in to Martoni's with a group, and they were given a private room. Steele had to use the bathroom, and on his way back he was a little too loaded to walk straight, and ended up stumbling into Sinatra's private room, and landing on Sinatra's table, where the food was also laid out.

Sinatra's bodyguards jumped up and were going to "eject" Steele, but instead Steele began singing Witchcraft at the top of his lungs. Sinatra laughed and told the bodyguards to let Steele go, he can stay, and they had a good time and laugh over the whole thing.

Just a few points to add and mention how Martoni's was at least in the mid-60's a pretty important music-biz hangout where rock musicians could have the fate of their records decided by radio and TV people over a lot of booze.

Thanks for the great background info, GF. I love it when you post stuff like this.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »

Thanks for the link - hadn't heard Laugh at Me in years, but I remember this angry "protest song" well. Back then there was no way I woulda guessed that Sonny Bono would end up as mayor of Palm Springs then a Republican congressman from California.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 07:26:23 PM »

Thanks for the great background info, GF. I love it when you post stuff like this.

Yes, gold! Absolute freaking gold!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 03:42:01 AM »

Ultimately I think why that pizza was so important to everybody was the positivity in the coking, and that was ME.

Not sure it was Mike doing the coking!

"I did not fire Tony from Martoni's. I cannot fire Tony from Martoni's. I am not his employer. I do not have such authority. And even if I did, I would never Tony from Martoni's. I love Tony. We are partners"

By the way, thanks for all the background information-very interesting and a great read
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 06:33:56 AM »

This thread is funny AND informative. I thought that went away with Jon Stewart.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx