gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:26:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK Pet Sounds Review  (Read 2894 times)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:18:52 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/22/brian-wilson-presents-pet-sounds-review-a-spectacularly-moving-evening?CMP=share_btn_fb

After the article scroll down past the ads and read the "comments." Fairly brutal.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:47:23 AM »

What a cynical world we live in eh? It doesn't seem to occur to them that putting his mental/health issues aside Brian just might enjoy playing music with his band. Roll Eyes

Edit: Referring to the comments, not the interview!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:22:32 AM by SamMcK » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:02:00 AM »

Thanks for the warning. I shall give this review (and comments) a miss... Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:51:32 AM »

While we're on t'subject, Mojo has given the box 5/5. Refers to the inclusion of two newly discovered takes of IKT'sAA and the previously unheard Vibes master track with partial vocals.

Review also refers to Mike's alleged complaint that Brian had "f***ed with the formula", which it bought we'd left behind recently?

Closing paragraph refers to this new set as the "definitive edition (at least until the next time)".

“We live in divisive times.”
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:25:38 AM »

I was at the show at The Palladium last Saturday and before you read the rest, I had an amazing night and it was great. BUT...
I have to agree with most of the comments. It was just sad to see him on stage like that. He didn't really hit the right notes, his voice was just ruff. And he totally didn't seem to be in the same room as the rest of the band. He never smiled or laughed or anything. It was really depressing to see him there. And before the break he didn't even stay on stage until the last song was over.  It was kind of weird. If I was just a random fan, someone who only went to the show because it said Brian Wilson and Pet Sounds, I would never go to a Brian Wlson show again.

I always go to Brian shows because of his amazing band. If he didn't have them it would be even more awkward. Blondie on the other hand was out of control and rocking the house!

But you have to give him credit for having the courage to go on tour and perform albums like Smile and Pet Sounds. Mike would never do stuff like this.  So as long as Brian is touring I will always go, because I'm a fan of his music and his band, but not of his stage-appearance. And like every other Brian show, I still ha a blast because of the band.

A few questions that someone here might be able to answer:
1. Is he aware of his live voice?
2. Why does he still go on tour when he's clearly not enjoying being on stage?

So much from me,
Rüdiger
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »

Thanks for the warning. I shall give this review (and comments) a miss... Cool Guy

You're wrong to give the review a miss, John! The original post didn't make it very clear, but the review itself is actually very positive indeed. It's 5 stars and includes words such as 'exquisite' in abundance (there are a few references to Brian's otherworldliness, though they're far from negative - just curious observations more than anything).

The comments section below does indeed contain some idiots trying to get attention, but this is typical of any comments section beneath any Guardian thread ever! Besides, the negative comments are in the minority; most of the comments are positive and, more often than not, someone has effectively called the negative idiots out on their bulls**t Smiley
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:42:40 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »

Can't be any worse than this review from The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/brian-wilsons-anniversary-tour-the-saddest-gig-ever---review/
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »

"They then – to detectable restlessness in the audience – moved on to some agonisingly middle-of-the-road rockers from the Beach Boys’ Seventies years."

To quote a line from the scottish sitcom, Still Game, this review is utter pish!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »

To quote a line from the scottish sitcom, Still Game, this review is utter pish!

I know right! The Telegraph do talk sh*t though most if all the time so lol....
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »

I know right! The Telegraph do talk sh*t though most if all the time so lol....

They're Tories - so yeah, they talk sh*t ALL the time...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »

You're wrong to give the review a miss, John! The original post didn't make it very clear, but the review itself is actually very positive indeed. It's 5 stars and includes words such as 'exquisite' in abundance (there are a few references to Brian's otherworldliness, though they're far from negative - just curious observations more than anything).

The comments section below does indeed contain some idiots trying to get attention, but this is typical of any comments section beneath any Guardian thread ever! Besides, the negative comments are in the minority; most of the comments are positive and, more often than not, someone has effectively called the negative idiots out on their bulls**t Smiley

Thanks, DB. I saw the question mark in the URL and jumped to the wrong conclusion. I'm off there now... :=)  

Excellent, even moving review. The few vaguely comic references to Brian are more endearing than anything else.

I gave the comments a miss though.  Grin 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:44:58 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »

I recognise so much of this. And yet at the two C50 gigs I saw, BW was so relaxed and in command, and enjoying himself. I'll decide for myself, Friday.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »

It's the Telegraph; what did one expect from its comments section? And here I thought the British fans were the "true fans." Well, apparently not...

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »

So it's a race issue now?

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »

No, the commenters on the Telegraph are on the dimwitted side of dumb. Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »

No comments on the Telegraph.  They stopped 'em recently, which is all well and good, cos they were bloody awful.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »

LOL

I just realized after I posted that it was the Guardian linked in the OP. My mistake. I referenced the Guardian review in my reply.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:31:41 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »

There's at least one idiot on there who only comments in a negative fashion - so I clicked on his profile and sw that he does that pretty much every time he posts. And they say Brian has problems...

I thought the Guardian review was very good indeed. As for the Telegraph, bearing in mind it's no secret what Brian can be like in concert, it seems pretty stupid to send someone who doesn't get this, but what the hell, so much journalism, especially the reviewing side, seems to be about mindless snark these days.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx