-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Thread for arguments with or about moderation
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thread for arguments with or about moderation  (Read 160341 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »

Who is part of this conspiracy to remove guitarfool as mod, besides AGD?

?

My issue with GF isn't about this recent belief that he bans people on his own, but rather he tries to suppress opinions he doesn't like.  Just like with my ban he accused me of not knowing what I was talking about when I was talking about something completely different... changing the goal posts to suit his argument.  I even offered to take it to pm because there was no reason to have that silly debate waste space.  Turns out we were talking about two different threads.  Once I made that clear, he kept going asking if I've had my say, because it's foolish, not even acknowledging that I was talking about something else.  I know he was just dying to ban me at that point.  He got his way when Billy misunderstood something I said.  Thankfully, we talked about it since then everything's cool now.  That's why almost everyone loves Billy, he's willing to admit a mistake and listen to suggestions.  That's what makes him a great mod.

Only Billy apologized?

I didn't try to reach out to GF, but I didn't think it would be worth the effort after all the things he said to me. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »

?

My issue with GF isn't about this recent belief that he bans people on his own, but rather he tries to suppress opinions he doesn't like.  Just like with my ban he accused me of not knowing what I was talking about when I was talking about something completely different... changing the goal posts to suit his argument.  I even offered to take it to pm because there was no reason to have that silly debate waste space.  Turns out we were talking about two different threads.  Once I made that clear, he kept going asking if I've had my say, because it's foolish, not even acknowledging that I was talking about something else.  I know he was just dying to ban me at that point.  He got his way when Billy misunderstood something I said.  Thankfully, we talked about it since then everything's cool now.  That's why almost everyone loves Billy, he's willing to admit a mistake and listen to suggestions.  That's what makes him a great mod.

Only Billy apologized?

I didn't try to reach out to GF, but I didn't think it would be worth the effort after all the things he said to me. 

Still.

Weren't there 4 (or 3) mods that participated in that group decision?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2016, 08:54:39 PM »

?

Only Billy apologized?

Still.

It seemed like it was just Billy and Craig.  Once Billy took issue with my post I was banned. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »

?

Only Billy apologized?

Still.

It seemed like it was just Billy and Craig.  Once Billy took issue with my post I was banned. 

I'm sure apologies are on their way and hopefully there can be some clarity/closure without anyone being called a liar.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2016, 09:07:23 PM »

I have a suggestion for Billy but maybe it is just a problem for me.  I can't get your handle to CC in PMs, even if I cut and paste it. I don't know if it is the punctuation and symbols, the PM system, or just me and my senility.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »

CC'ing in PMs seems to be intermittent for me...sometimes I can get it to work, sometimes I can't.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2016, 09:18:37 PM »

A couple of opinions:
-I don't think it's a mod's place to suppress people's negative opinions about any of the band members. It's unfortunate that they exist and that there's such disagreement about it, but as long as the conversation is reasonably civil, silencing the expression of opinions wouldn't be right. Then it would truly be an agenda-driven board.
-The only woman posting here that I can think of off the top of my head who is completely open about her identity is Debbie KL. Whether women's discomfort with openly identifying themselves on an open board is validated by stats or not, it's real discomfort based on the many horror stories we hear on a regular basis.
-Also on the woman tip, I will leave Debbie to fight her fights, but I don't appreciate some of the ways people have referred to what she's said. Using references to 'claws' and implying that it must be some personal squabble seems condescending and sexist. Maybe just an unfortunate choice of terms, but some terms are loaded.
-Lastly, without pms, I wouldn't have been able to expand my relationships on the board to off-board. Again, I'm not comfortable plunking too much identifying information onto an open board. For that reason, I'm personally happy for the pm function.
 Smiley
My name is Dirk and I am recovering Smiley Smile addict. If anyone wants to know who I am, all they have to do is ask. I have never hid it from Craig or Billy.

As to your first point. As opinionated as Craig is, how are any of us supposed to know when he defends a point whether it is as a fan or as a mod? If you take on the role of mod, then every time you logon in here you are the moderator. You can't pick and choose, because there is no way for any of the rest of us to know. You want to be a mod? Than that is the price you pay to be one.

Craig opinionated??? Huh He's a fan/mod and a good one. You've done nothing on here but state you're opinion on basically nothing but your distaste for him. To be honest, I'm surprised he hasn't tossed you out on your ear, man. He was chosen, thank god, to be a mod here and he fits here perfectly in spite of what you and your posse have to say. If all you're gonna do here is criticize a fellow board member then take a hike. Have a little respect for who's in charge here, man.
OSD, if he wants to prove my point, he can ban me. As for a taking a hike, you should have had your walking papers ages ago. You should be the last person to talk about respect. Your lack of it has caused many issues in here over the years. He is your concert buddy, so I understand your concern.
Get off your high horse, Doc. The only one I have absolutely no respect for around here is myKe luHv which is strictly my own opinion. I mostly stay away from going after fellow posters unless they do the same to me. Start calling me names and you're simply going to get the same back unless I don't give a rat's ass. You, on the other hand, are trying your pathetic best to weasel someone out of a job because you don't agree with him and that is pure, unadulterated crap. You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time posting lengthy, wordy posts from your lofty perch. Why don't you back off and go volunteer your time to a more worthy cause than trying to upend a moderator on a message board, huh?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »

CC'ing in PMs seems to be intermittent for me...sometimes I can get it to work, sometimes I can't.

I think you might have to use the original name with which a poster registered (back in '05!). Subsequent pseudonyms don't work; only the original name.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2016, 11:28:07 PM »

[Perhaps those who were involved could shed more light on what they were doing and why if you'd ask them. Try Facebook since one of them just got banned.

Someone else got banned? Or are you referring to Mike's Beard/China Pig (?)?

I think, btw, that fuel was thrown on the objectivity fire when someone (forget who) pointed out that you also moderate on Brian Wilson's board. When some here were accusing AGD of being on Mike's payroll (blatant nonsense … would Mike let go of money so easily?!?!), this revelation looked unfortunate in light of the fact that the board's two prime trolls, LOSD and his young familiar Snail Brian, appeared able to attack Mike with impunity.*

For the same of clarity, then - purely honesty and clarity, note -  can I ask whether you receive any form of remuneration for your work on that board? CDs? Free concert tickets? Upgrades (m&g, soundcheck) to concert tickets? Etc etc - or is it purely voluntary with no reward?

* I have noted, at long last, an apparent reduction in their misbehaviour. If this is due to a restraining order, then you, GF, and Billy are due a note of grateful thanks!

Why, we're so damn fortunate that we have people here like you :lol to faithfully monitor, with incessant determination, our *behavior*. You can't even spell the word let alone determine just what is or isn't misbehavior is on this board. Quit trying to be an effig cop :police: will you? You're not a moderator. You don't make the rules and as far as I'm concerned, YOU'RE a troll, ok? Maybe it's time for you to hide behind you're favorite rock-The Hickey Script. You'll be all safe and warm there, Johnny Boy.

:lol I think you'll find we were spelling "behaviour" that way for a few centuries before the word crossed the Atlantic for it and other elements of the language to be misshapen and transformed.

As for the Hickey Script, I don't use it. But its creation made me realise that I simply don't have to read any of your highly valued contributions to proceedings here, and my life improved there and then.

Hey, is that nurse calling? I think it might be time for your next suppository…

Ps: what's an "effig cop", Mr Spelling Queen?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:55:01 PM by John Manning » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2016, 11:57:56 PM »

[Perhaps those who were involved could shed more light on what they were doing and why if you'd ask them. Try Facebook since one of them just got banned.

I think, btw, that fuel was thrown on the objectivity fire when someone (forget who) pointed out that you also moderate on Brian Wilson's board. When some here were accusing AGD of being on Mike's payroll (blatant nonsense … would Mike let go of money so easily?!?!), this revelation looked unfortunate in light of the fact that the board's two prime trolls, LOSD and his young familiar Snail Brian, appeared able to attack Mike with impunity.*

For the same of clarity, then - purely honesty and clarity, note -  can I ask whether you receive any form of remuneration for your work on that board? CDs? Free concert tickets? Upgrades (m&g, soundcheck) to concert tickets? Etc etc - or is it purely voluntary with no reward?

* I have noted, at long last, an apparent reduction in their misbehaviour. If this is due to a restraining order, then you, GF, and Billy are due a note of grateful thanks!

Another great post John, yes worth clarification, and it doesn't have to be a condemnation of GF in any way.

I am not on any payrolls.

So no favours? Gifts? Incentives?  It's done purely for the love of it? Just to be absolutely sure…

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »

This just isn't about what happened with the recent bannings. What I want to see is you treat the other threads in here the same way you treat the Brian threads. It irritates me that you defend Brian right down to auto tune on NPP, but never interject when members threadcrap on any Mike Love or Beach Boys threads. Again, I am looking for consistency from you and Billy too (just so you think I picking only on you). You chose to become a mod, so whenever you're in here, you are setting the example.

This. Consistency and impartiality seem to be the bedrock of fair play.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2016, 01:04:13 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18532.msg484872.html#msg484872

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:50 AM »

-Also on the woman tip, I will leave Debbie to fight her fights, but I don't appreciate some of the ways people have referred to what she's said. Using references to 'claws' and implying that it must be some personal squabble seems condescending and sexist. Maybe just an unfortunate choice of terms, but some terms are loaded. Eta- Let me be clear here - this is my opinion I'm expressing. If you disagree, I'm not asking for censorship.
-Lastly, without pms, I wouldn't have been able to expand my relationships on the board to off-board. Again, I'm not comfortable plunking too much identifying information onto an open board. For that reason, I'm personally happy for the pm function.

BBB is a sad little joke.  Some of the multiple-identity posters there (and there are so few posters on that board that they're easy to spot) are so obviously people banned from here.  I won't name who Nicko (whatever set of numbers he chooses) really is, but he's all over the place there, I'm thinking with other id's as well - unless there are others as stupid as him, which is possible.  I know who the pathetic little whiner is, but I'll leave it at that. 

And the woman who runs the place, well...She's still running her sad little story that Brian is "frail" and "shouldn't be forced to tour," only now through others (or possibly she has more than one id there - it wouldn't be hard as the sole moderator). She's been chanting that mantra for 12 years now.  I guess Brian's not that frail, nor forced - d'ya think?  If she outlives him, she may get to say, "See! See! - many years later and not so believably.  I'm wondering what her posting history might be as well.  What name(s) might she have used here and on BW? I only managed to spot one on BW, but I haven't been on these boards that long.

Sorry if my "claws" comment was unPC; it was an instinctive reaction to the shameful section of Debbie's post as quoted here, an unwarranted attack on Val, who rarely ever posts here.

I'll withdraw my "claws" comment.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2016, 01:38:19 AM »

Sorry for the multiple posts. That's it for today though - I'm off to work. Hi ho…!

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2016, 06:10:22 AM »

I obviously don't post much, but I've been around this board since it's creation, and was a member of the Smile Shop before that.  I've enjoyed Craig's posts on the old board, and on this one, before and after he became a mod here.  I don't consider him a moderator as much as I consider him to be a knowledgeable, passionate fan of the Beach Boys.  A moderator's place on an open forum such as this is to enforce the board's rules.  Period.  When not in 'police mode', they should be able to discuss, passionately if desired, any subject with any other poster(s).  I consider them to be moderators only when they're considering a rules violation.  Otherwise, they're just posters who happened to take on the thankless task of monitoring what often seems to be a bunch of whining children.  Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle the job, nor would I want to.  Craig and Billy are outstanding moderators.  They're fair, yes sometimes passionate, and they seem like really nice guys.  My two cents worth.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2016, 06:37:17 AM »

For the same of clarity, then - purely honesty and clarity, note -  can I ask whether you receive any form of remuneration for your work on that board? CDs? Free concert tickets? Upgrades (m&g, soundcheck) to concert tickets? Etc etc - or is it purely voluntary with no reward?

Why, we're so damn fortunate that we have people here like you LOL to faithfully monitor, with incessant determination, our *behavior*. You can't even spell the word let alone determine just what is or isn't misbehavior is on this board. Quit trying to be an effig cop police will you? You're not a moderator. You don't make the rules and as far as I'm concerned, YOU'RE a troll, ok? Maybe it's time for you to hide behind you're favorite rock-The Hickey Script. You'll be all safe and warm there, Johnny Boy.

LOL I think you'll find we were spelling "behaviour" that way for a few centuries before the word crossed the Atlantic for it and other elements of the language to be misshapen and transformed.

As for the Hickey Script, I don't use it. But its creation made me realise that I simply don't have to read any of your highly valued contributions to proceedings here, and my life improved there and then.

Hickey script improved your life, you say? Must have been a rather drab existence for you to carry on everyday but considerably *normal* for a British snob.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:44 AM »

-Also on the woman tip, I will leave Debbie to fight her fights, but I don't appreciate some of the ways people have referred to what she's said. Using references to 'claws' and implying that it must be some personal squabble seems condescending and sexist. Maybe just an unfortunate choice of terms, but some terms are loaded. Eta- Let me be clear here - this is my opinion I'm expressing. If you disagree, I'm not asking for censorship.

BBB is a sad little joke.  Some of the multiple-identity posters there (and there are so few posters on that board that they're easy to spot) are so obviously people banned from here.  I won't name who Nicko (whatever set of numbers he chooses) really is, but he's all over the place there, I'm thinking with other id's as well - unless there are others as stupid as him, which is possible.  I know who the pathetic little whiner is, but I'll leave it at that. 

And the woman who runs the place, well...She's still running her sad little story that Brian is "frail" and "shouldn't be forced to tour," only now through others (or possibly she has more than one id there - it wouldn't be hard as the sole moderator). She's been chanting that mantra for 12 years now.  I guess Brian's not that frail, nor forced - d'ya think?  If she outlives him, she may get to say, "See! See! - many years later and not so believably.  I'm wondering what her posting history might be as well.  What name(s) might she have used here and on BW? I only managed to spot one on BW, but I haven't been on these boards that long.

Sorry if my "claws" comment was unPC; it was an instinctive reaction to the shameful section of Debbie's post as quoted here, an unwarranted attack on Val, who rarely ever posts here.

I'll withdraw my "claws" comment.
Debbie - Val is a lovely person with whom I have corresponded for about 10 years and consider her a friend, as much as one can, without having met a person "in person."  

In all that time, it is my experience that she is a very kind person, and reflects before speaking. Her opinions are her own and in mine, does not merit being disparaged.  She is a musician in her own right.  I have no idea what informs her opinions and it is of no consequence.  It does not make her a bad person.  

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »

whos val ? Huh

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2016, 06:55:38 AM »

For the same of clarity, then - purely honesty and clarity, note -  can I ask whether you receive any form of remuneration for your work on that board? CDs? Free concert tickets? Upgrades (m&g, soundcheck) to concert tickets? Etc etc - or is it purely voluntary with no reward?

Why, we're so damn fortunate that we have people here like you LOL to faithfully monitor, with incessant determination, our *behavior*. You can't even spell the word let alone determine just what is or isn't misbehavior is on this board. Quit trying to be an effig cop police will you? You're not a moderator. You don't make the rules and as far as I'm concerned, YOU'RE a troll, ok? Maybe it's time for you to hide behind you're favorite rock-The Hickey Script. You'll be all safe and warm there, Johnny Boy.

LOL I think you'll find we were spelling "behaviour" that way for a few centuries before the word crossed the Atlantic for it and other elements of the language to be misshapen and transformed.

Hickey script improved your life, you say? Must have been a rather drab existence for you to carry on everyday but considerably *normal* for a British snob.

La la la, la la la, la la la… Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2016, 07:02:02 AM »

whos val ? Huh

Reading between the lines, she would appear to be a mod at Beach Boys Britain. But don't quote me on that. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2016, 07:03:25 AM »

Another great post John, yes worth clarification, and it doesn't have to be a condemnation of GF in any way.

I am not on any payrolls.

So no favours? Gifts? Incentives?  It's done purely for the love of it? Just to be absolutely sure…

John, I have received nothing. I was given mod access October 26th 2015.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »

La la la, la la la, la la la… Wink
I hear that's how the hickey script works...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2016, 07:14:05 AM »

Guess I'm dumb.  What is hickey script?  - can't GIS it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:15:19 AM by 1-1-wonderful » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2016, 07:18:25 AM »

I obviously don't post much, but I've been around this board since it's creation, and was a member of the Smile Shop before that.  I've enjoyed Craig's posts on the old board, and on this one, before and after he became a mod here.  I don't consider him a moderator as much as I consider him to be a knowledgeable, passionate fan of the Beach Boys.  A moderator's place on an open forum such as this is to enforce the board's rules.  Period.  When not in 'police mode', they should be able to discuss, passionately if desired, any subject with any other poster(s).  I consider them to be moderators only when they're considering a rules violation.  Otherwise, they're just posters who happened to take on the thankless task of monitoring what often seems to be a bunch of whining children.  Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle the job, nor would I want to.  Craig and Billy are outstanding moderators.  They're fair, yes sometimes passionate, and they seem like really nice guys.  My two cents worth.

I agree. Very few people on this board know as much about music as Craig.And he has definite opinions. I ask, where was the outrage when Jason was outright insulting Brian fans?  Craig has never stooped to that level.  And to also suggest that he "bullies"  his fellow mods is insulting to the other mods.  The bans that had occured were all deserved. At least one of the banned parties had also been banned on another message board multiple times. Craig was not involved there at all.

What's it going to take to convince the critics because both Billy and Craig have been more than generous in talking about their duties.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »

Guess I'm dumb.  What is hickey script?  - can't GIS it.

Here you go: https://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: