gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:32:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows - Live At Michigan State University, 1966 on Spotify  (Read 3524 times)
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »

Not sure for how long this has been up, or if it's been mentioned in other threads, but I found it today and thought I might as well share it:

https://play.spotify.com/album/0Q3hgatQbM69ymXqo1w1is?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »

I hope those full concerts eventually find a release; there's some great stuff on there.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »

I am sure these concerts will be released in December for copy rights! Hope they have some good studio material to release to under the new copyright laws!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »

I don't know what else is still lurking studio-wise as far as unreleased stuff short of more of the same session bits. I suppose there's always more Smile stuff that could be dragged out, which would be a nice addendum to the box.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »

Very nice rendition of the song.  Though I can understand how some members of the band were concerned about how Brian's new songs would sound live.  To my ears it does sound very stripped down and maybe not as much energy as we would see in the coming years.  With all of that said, I'm glad part of this concert is finally getting a proper release.  Hopefully we'll see the full thing released later this year as noted above.   
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:05 AM »

I hope those full concerts eventually find a release; there's some great stuff on there.

Agree!
Bob K
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »

Would this be Al on bass?  Or did Carl take bass duties on this one?
Bob
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »

It's weird these songs are labeled Michigan State University..  The show took place in Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor on the campus of the University of Michigan.
Michigan State University is not in Ann Arbor.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:12:51 AM by TV Forces » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »

I am sure these concerts will be released in December for copy rights! Hope they have some good studio material to release to under the new copyright laws!

Given the pattern of the last few years, this seems quite possible. I wouldn't quite go into saying it's a "sure" thing, simply given the history of BB releases in general.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »

It's weird these songs are labeled Michigan State University..  The show took place in Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor on the campus of the University of Michigan.

Interesting. It appears that some of the promotional material lists this show as Michigan State University, October 22, 1966. I checked Bellagio and the Michigan State University show was actually October 21, 1966, while there were two shows at Hill Auditorium on October 22, 1966--I'm pretty sure there are photos of Brian rehearsing the guys specifically for the live recording. I hope they correct this on the pressings...
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »

Yes! As someone who grew up 5 minutes from MSU's campus in East Lansing, I can assure you that MSU is NOT University Of Michigan!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:00 AM »

Right: there were a lot of errors like that in badman and therefore they crop of in blogs and sites that got their information from him . But it's understandable. A person from the UK often doesn't understand how a private university differs from a state university or community college, etc.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 06:14:28 AM »

And for those not familiar with the collegiate system, it might be even more confusing as University of Michigan and Michigan State University are both public universities rather than private.

If it's like California, one of the main differences of course is one is hugely more expensive than the other (and both more expensive than community college). In California of course, there are a myriad of universities in both "systems" (CSU and UC). Then it gets even more confusing, as randomly UC Berkeley for instance is often referred to as "Cal." Wtf?

Also, performing/concert venues attached to universities vary in terms of whether the venues are actually on campus, whether they are partially or fully run by the university in question, and so on. For instance, the BBs played the Greek Theater in Berkeley (including on C50), which is sometimes simply referred to as the "Greek Theater", or "Hearst Greek Theater" or "UC Berkeley Greek Theater" or "Greek Theater at UC Berkeley", etc.

I personally prefer actual venue/building names if available (e.g. Gobbledygook Auditorium, "Demonstration Hall", etc.) along with city names, rather than just listing the university in question. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 07:48:53 PM »

They are releasing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from the same venue/event tomorrow (May 26th) morning.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 06:01:05 AM »

They are releasing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from the same venue/event tomorrow (May 26th) morning.

Thank you for the heads-up, it's now available here: http://www.petsounds.com/listen

or here: http://h264-aws.vevo.com/v3/h264/2016/05/USUV71601129/db62936d-79bc-4d2b-a725-a14caa1f139e/usuv71601129_high_1280x720_h264_2000_aac_128.mp4
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 04:53:43 PM »

I'm listening to this as I type.  It has a very "unplugged" sound texture which works well.  A pleasure!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx