gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:52:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys TV interview '81 with Brian!  (Read 4559 times)
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »

The band seem to be in good spirits other than Dennis who prolly should not have done the segment. Carl shows disapproval with his condition.

I laughed when Mike says "the legend lives on" when Brian says he listens to "Be my Baby"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XCe-K6NiTm8
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:37:05 PM by jabba2 » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »

That is hilarious. I wonder how much Mike liked it when, near the end, Dennis says Brian was the only force behind the Beach Boys...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:46:54 PM »

Dennis was an embarrassment on that interview.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:56:11 PM »

Very much so. But I'd rather watch an embarrassing Dennis than Mike any day.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 01:58:39 PM »

It is amusing that Al prepares because he believes that he is also questioned.  Grin

BTW This interview is from 1980.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:05:58 PM »

Hahaha.... Hey, don't you think Brian was starting to talk/act a little more calmer and "with it" in 1980-81?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »

Hahaha.... Hey, don't you think Brian was starting to talk/act a little more calmer and "with it" in 1980-81?

Not really. His eyes are in what I liked to call the "coked out squint" back in my , ahem, "wilder days".

It is amusing that Al prepares because he believes that he is also questioned.

Yeah! He has his mouth open and everything. Poor li'l bastard got to say nothing the whole time...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 02:18:36 PM »

He don't say anything, but like the woman, he laughs very much and loud  Grin

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 02:20:26 PM »

Not really. His eyes are in what I liked to call the "coked out squint" back in my , ahem, "wilder days".

Wasn't that interview 5:30-6:00 AM where the guys were? Brian and Dennis probably hadn't been to bed (er, sleep) yet.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 02:26:12 PM »

Boy, were they a mess.

How long did Jerry Schilling remain their manager?  And was he good or bad?

Glenn
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 02:39:42 PM »

Well that was pretty interesting...cool to see though.  Al seems pretty bored, and obviously Denny is really out of it.  The only coherent thing he said was that Brian was the only force behind the group.  Brian seems fairly with it, if not a bit shy.  The "Be My Baby" thing made me laugh, especially since Brian today would probably have a very similar response. 
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 05:29:10 PM »

That was odd.  I'd bet Joan Lunden is a big "Smile" fan, though.   She seemed awfully concerned that the Beach Boys were stuck playing all the old hits.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 02:12:16 AM »

Code:
That was odd.  I'd bet Joan Lunden is a big "Smile" fan, though.   She seemed awfully concerned that the Beach Boys were stuck playing all the old hits.

Yeah, i was thinking the same. =) I bet she has Pet Sounds bed sheets.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 06:36:19 AM »

That is hilarious. I wonder how much Mike liked it when, near the end, Dennis says Brian was the only force behind the Beach Boys...

Considering the fact that Mike seemed to give Brian all the credit himself, probably didn't mind too much. 

Anyone see the three Biography shows last night (Sunday) with Sedaka, the Brill Building stars, Spector, etc.?  Lots of "Be My Baby" on those.  Funny that Spector's biographer never mentioned Brian at all when talking about how Spector was the only guy in that era who took control of the studio as a "20-21 year old kid". The first, yes, but Brian, who the guy had to know about, since everyone else in the music world did,  was right behind him.  Literally, in fact - when they showed a Billboard list with one of Spector's productions, "Surfer Girl" was right behind it. Also, I never knew Spector was a guitar player.  Always figured him for just the piano.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 08:03:10 AM »

That Biography channel Brill building show is a treasure.  I had seen it before but when I surfed onto it again recently I could not stop watching.  Very nicely done.  Sad about the double whammy of 1st the British Invasion and then of Don K moving to LA and selling the company.

Funny how there was once a time in music when talent and persistence meant something.  And please, don't tell me about those talent hunt contests on tv these days. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 03:38:37 PM »

How long did Jerry Schilling remain their manager?  And was he good or bad?

Jerry lasted until mid 1981. Carl retained him as a personal manager until the end of his life. Jerry was really ok as a manager. I remember having to meet with the group in 1981 and Brother Records could not find out where the band was staying in Houston. But, they did have the number to the place in Dallas where they were at. So I called Jerry at 3:30 am (yeah, big mistake). But after he chilled, he thanked me for my interest in the group and actually sent me some promo material later on. So I always liked him.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:40:36 PM by petsite » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 06:28:32 AM »

Jerry Schilling was part of Elvis' Memphis Mafia (you can see him in pictures of the Nixon-meeting) and in the 80s he managed also Jerry Lee Lewis, but took his leave after the Killer said something negative about Presley.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 07:01:01 AM »

Jerry Schilling was part of Elvis' Memphis Mafia (you can see him in pictures of the Nixon-meeting) and in the 80s he managed also Jerry Lee Lewis, but took his leave after the Killer said something negative about Presley.

It must have been quite nice coming to the (relatively) saner BB after spells with Elvis and the Killer!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 07:08:22 AM »

It must have been quite nice coming to the (relatively) saner BB after spells with Elvis and the Killer!

Well, he was Jerry's manager after he was the BB's. The "Great Balls of fire"-movie was done while Jerry was managing the Killer (late 80s)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 01:12:36 AM »

Elvis was probably saner then some of the Beach Boys but Jerry Lee well..... he IS nuts but in the best rock and roll sense.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx