gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:21:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: great new BW interview (Bedroom Tapes mentioned)  (Read 5856 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:38:17 PM »

“Yeah, I might do that later this year,” he says when asked if the tapes might ever be released.

Brian also says he plans to keep touring. good stuff

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/you-still-believe-in-me-an-interview-with-brian-wilson/
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »

Later this year as in never.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:04:04 PM »

I doubt Brian even knows what the "bedroom tapes" are. And for good reason since there isn't really any entity at all that fits that description. It's just random unreleased Beach Boys stuff from '67 to '74, which although an exciting era, has seen nearly all of the great stuff already released.

So yeah, not happening. Nor really possible.

But hey if there is a stash of great unheard recordings from that era that we don't know of, then by all means, please release it.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »

Two so-called bedroom tape recordings have surfaced the last few years....Lucy Jones on the California Feeling 2 cd and Brian's last solo album. If more emerge  they will probably surface in similar types of circumstances.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:21:30 PM »

I don't care if other people think what remains of "The Bedroom Tapes" is good or not. Let me have the recordings, and I'll make up my own mind.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:49:19 PM by Bubs » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »

Great interview. But Wow, if Brian does sticks to his word, it would be a gem to see the BR tapes surface officially.  Cool Guy
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »

Yes finally! We will get to hear the Bedroom Tapes! I will buy that the day It comes out! Hope they don't hold out on anything on this release!!!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:56:11 PM »

Yes finally! We will get to hear the Bedroom Tapes! I will buy that the day It comes out! Hope they don't hold out on anything on this release!!!

Don't get your hopes up.  Embarrassed

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »

For the record, that article was wildly overblown and filled with hyperbole and misstatements, not the least of which was the outright fabrication that "the LA Weekly was granted exclusive access..."

The fact is, it was written by someone who worked with us on a project some ten years prior to the publication of the LA Weekly article, and at that time he'd had an opportunity to hear some archival things that we had recently catalogued and preserved.  When he was working on the article many years later I was happy to answer some archival questions and describe some things we'd since discovered within the tape vaults.  I'm sure I played a couple of things for him over the phone, in the interest of helping him get his facts straight. But I was not at all pleased with the article as published in the LA Weekly.

(For a more realistic look at that era, I'd refer folks instead to the recent article in MOJO by Domenic Priore.)

Stephen Desper speaks the truth.  There's very little "undiscovered" Brian within the tape archive, and most of the material of note has found its way onto recent archival releases.  There is a small handful of unheard and very rough unfinished basic tracks that may or may not someday find a home if the label ever wants to undertake, say, deluxe multi disc packages centered on specific albums...and there are, of course, a few other items ("Walkin'" and "Carnival" come to mind) that have never been officially released but have long been passed around amongst collectors.  But there is no treasure trove of unheard Brian gems lurking in a dark corner of a dusty vault, as far as I know.  I've looked.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »

I can't imagine Melinda giving her stamp of approval to a bedroom tapes release. Wasn't it Melinda who vetoed a release of the Paley sessions?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »

I wonder if they'll attempt to throw something together. With all the buzz surrounding him right now with PS50, the upcoming autobiography, etc. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put out a new release later this year actually. Surely they have enough stuff to pull from to make a Brian-centric rarities release. Maybe moreso a career spanning set.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »

For the record, that article was wildly overblown and filled with hyperbole and misstatements, not the least of which was the outright fabrication that "the LA Weekly was granted exclusive access..."

The fact is, it was written by someone who worked with us on a project some ten years prior to the publication of the LA Weekly article, and at that time he'd had an opportunity to hear some archival things that we had recently catalogued and preserved.  When he was working on the article many years later I was happy to answer some archival questions and describe some things we'd since discovered within the tape vaults.  I'm sure I played a couple of things for him over the phone, in the interest of helping him get his facts straight. But I was not at all pleased with the article as published in the LA Weekly.

(For a more realistic look at that era, I'd refer folks instead to the recent article in MOJO by Domenic Priore.)

Stephen Desper speaks the truth.  There's very little "undiscovered" Brian within the tape archive, and most of the material of note has found its way onto recent archival releases.  There is a small handful of unheard and very rough unfinished basic tracks that may or may not someday find a home if the label ever wants to undertake, say, deluxe multi disc packages centered on specific albums...and there are, of course, a few other items ("Walkin'" and "Carnival" come to mind) that have never been officially released but have long been passed around amongst collectors.  But there is no treasure trove of unheard Brian gems lurking in a dark corner of a dusty vault, as far as I know.  I've looked.

Re-reading the article now, in retrospect it becomes obvious some of the tracks really weren't listened to despite there being descriptions like the author HAD heard them. One example is Lucy Jones, as Brian and Kalinich actually don't share lead vocals...Brian's barely on there vocally.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »

Re-reading the article now, in retrospect it becomes obvious some of the tracks really weren't listened to despite there being descriptions like the author HAD heard them. One example is Lucy Jones, as Brian and Kalinich actually don't share lead vocals...Brian's barely on there vocally.
The fact that songs as far back as 1968(the long version of Meant For You) were being included in the "bedroom years" recordings was a red flag.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 05:23:15 AM »

The fact that songs as far back as 1968(the long version of Meant For You) were being included in the "bedroom years" recordings was a red flag.

Guess it's more similar to the Basement Tapes than I thought, half of it isn't actually from the "bedroom years"!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 06:16:15 AM »

Two so-called bedroom tape recordings have surfaced the last few years....Lucy Jones on the California Feeling 2 cd and Brian's last solo album. If more emerge  they will probably surface in similar types of circumstances.

I wonder if a digital only release would make sense. Like make them Spotify exclusive.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »

Isn't that what the point of the Beach Boys Central website was? To have digital releases of archival material?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »

Isn't that what the point of the Beach Boys Central website was? To have digital releases of archival material?
God, I'm nostalgic for something that didn't happen. How many years ago now? Huge wasted opportunity. Look at those grey area boots for sale and think of what might have been.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:35 PM »

I realize the whole Bedroom Tapes moniker is just an umbrella term for all manner of unreleased material. it's a buzzword that indeed created some buzz... and what better time to release such a collection than later this year, to coincide with Brian's book?

Brian is basically saying a release like this will likely happen, but I love how some people still think he has no idea what he's talking about  Roll Eyes
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 01:24:26 AM »

I realize the whole Bedroom Tapes moniker is just an umbrella term for all manner of unreleased material. it's a buzzword that indeed created some buzz... and what better time to release such a collection than later this year, to coincide with Brian's book?

Brian is basically saying a release like this will likely happen, but I love how some people still think he has no idea what he's talking about  Roll Eyes

Conspiracy theorist?

Maybe it's just that Brian often says things like that without it coming to pass (he's not the only one, no agendas here)  When's the Rock n Roll album coming out?  How about those burned SMiLE tapes? 
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »

A decent quality version of the Awake demo would be worth the price of admission alone

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »

did anyone really think we'd ever get the '75 version of In The Back Of My Mind? or a SMiLE boxset? or the gems on MIC? and yet

it's simple really... if there's unreleased material and the public expresses interest in it, why not put it out?
Brian and his camp seem to have figured this out awhile ago. Brian is well aware of all the recordings he's still sitting on and it's gradually been released over the past several years. no reason to believe they won't make more of it available in the coming months and years.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »

did anyone really think we'd ever get the '75 version of In The Back Of My Mind? or a SMiLE boxset? or the gems on MIC? and yet

it's simple really... if there's unreleased material and the public expresses interest in it, why not put it out?
Brian and his camp seem to have figured this out awhile ago. Brian is well aware of all the recordings he's still sitting on and it's gradually been released over the past several years. no reason to believe they won't make more of it available in the coming months and years.

Adult/Child would be a good place to start.  But, as Brian said recently, he doesn't remember much about it.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 12:41:25 PM »

A decent quality version of the Awake demo would be worth the price of admission alone

Ask and ye shall receive (from yours truly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4Sz3NznfE

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »

Bring on any and all unreleased material -- from the first band demos, all the way to the Gary Griffin sessions a couple of years ago. Brian and the Beach Boys' music deserves nothing less!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »

Bring on any and all unreleased material -- from the first band demos, all the way to the Gary Griffin sessions a couple of years ago. Brian and the Beach Boys' music deserves nothing less!

Gary Griffin sessions?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx